Independent Movie Thread

Seerek

Aftersun is quite the melancholic tale, likely to conjure your own bittersweet memories from the perspective of both the child and the parent.

You don't necessarily get "all the answers" regarding Calum and Sophie's backstory and the uncertain future of their parent-child relationship after their trip, but that doesn't matter.

Some unconventional camera point of views add to the intimacy of the father-daughter conversations, even if the actual content of the dialogue is simply matter-of-fact.

Even if he doesn't get nominated this year, Paul Mescal will get nominated some year.

Last edited:

Seerek

As you'll notice upthread, I highlighted Aftersun and Marcel the Shell.
Both did not win at the Academy Awards last night

A discussion on some of the other movies that I watched that did not win

Perhaps "Living" was an unnecessary remake of 1952's Ikiru , but it was pretty faithful to the storyline and I thought Bill Nighy was spot-on casting with his understated performance.

I would have selected "Argentina, 1985" as best Foreign Film - it's a slow burn for those unfamiliar with the subject, but once you get to the meat of the movie (the hearings) - imo, some of the most powerful stuff of 2022. To say that the odds were against prosecutor Julio Cesar would be a huge understatement.

And as discussed in the Film Awards thread, "All That Breathes" was a huge longshot for Best Documentary, largely because it was more of a slow "meditation" as opposed to the traditional long-form, guided narrative structure that usually wins this category. Some of the shots of the animals (not just the kites) with New Delhi as a backdrop were breathtaking, but even more compelling is the perspectives of mere "survival" vs. defiant "hope/optimism" in political and environmental landscape that's seemingly stacked against you.

Addryn

I have been looking for good movies and time to watch them for a long time, I think I should watch these movies in the nearest future

Cachoo

As you'll notice upthread, I highlighted Aftersun and Marcel the Shell.
Both did not win at the Academy Awards last night

A discussion on some of the other movies that I watched that did not win

Perhaps "Living" was an unnecessary remake of 1952's Ikiru , but it was pretty faithful to the storyline and I thought Bill Nighy was spot-on casting with his understated performance.

I would have selected "Argentina, 1985" as best Foreign Film - it's a slow burn for those unfamiliar with the subject, but once you get to the meat of the movie (the hearings) - imo, some of the most powerful stuff of 2022. To say that the odds were against prosecutor Julio Cesar would be a huge understatement.

And as discussed in the Film Awards thread, "All That Breathes" was a huge longshot for Best Documentary, largely because it was more of a slow "meditation" as opposed to the traditional long-form, guided narrative structure that usually wins this category. Some of the shots of the animals (not just the kites) with New Delhi as a backdrop were breathtaking, but even more compelling is the perspectives of mere "survival" vs. defiant "hope/optimism" in political and environmental landscape that's seemingly stacked against you.

Now I definitely want to watch "Argentina, 1985." I remember those times. I'm glad Argentina was able to emerge in tact. I watched an film made in 2009 on TUBI last night and I was drawn into the lives of these two characters. It is stop-motion and from Australia and has the vocal talents of Philip Seymour Hofffman (OH HOW YOU ARE MISSED), Toni Collette and Barry Humphries. It is both serious and funny and has a lot of heart. You root for these people. Here is the trailer for Mary and Max: https://youtu.be/p1W_mpSydYI

Seerek

Blackberry doesn't take itself that seriously and has all prototype characters you'd expect from the "capitalism tragedy" sub-genre, but seeing the audaciousness and blind ambition of Glenn Howerton contrasted with the internally conflicted, unwavering idealism of Jay Baruchel is (for most of it) a good watch.

Lots of subtle 90s/00s nuggets for those who pay close attention

Seerek

The inside jokes in Theatre Camp are aplenty, which makes it a film for a niche audience. Other than that, I think there's way too much deference to "The Office" and Christopher Guest to give the film much of an identity of its own.

What fares better are the original songs that made up "Joan, Still" - fully formed, tongue firmly in cheek.

Noah Galvin was the mvp,
giving him the opportunity to "fill in" as the lead Joan in the musical
but imo, his character was underwritten in comparison to the other leads.

Last edited:

Seerek

Bhutan's 🇧🇹 The Monk and the Gun made the first shortlist for Best Foreign Film at this year's Academy Awards, and is certainly in line with director/writer's Pawo Choyning Dorji's previous work, a film with gentle humour mixed with commentary on tradition vs politics/ modernity.

Seerek

One Best Foreign Film nominee I have seen is Society of the Snow, depicting Uruguayan Air Force Flight 571's crash in October 1972 and the survival of 16 of the 45 on board.

There have been many documentaries and features made in the past (including 1993's Awake) , but this film takes a far more "intimate" approach as far as the conversations the survivors have with one another.

The discussions take very much a philosophical/spiritual angle as they encountered setback after setback in their hopes of being rescued.

Seerek

One other Best Foreign Film nominee I have seen is Io Capitano, a movie that tries to give a human face to the refugee/migrant experience of those who travel through Northern Africa.

Some of the scenes are quite difficult to watch, but one with some prior knowledge and understanding would know that what was portrayed on screen was comparatively tame compared to the real stories of those who survived (and of those that did not).

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information