I, Tonya

StasiyaGalustyanLove

Banned Member
I can't see any of his posts. Can you share?
I found it by typing in his name to Google, it was the first page that came up. Looks like Mr. Stillwell has some issues with Tonya as well as Weston Hotels, Costco, Uber, Dish Network, saggy pants, AOL, Facebook, protests, Sheraton hotels, Samsung TVs, and Alaska Airlines!

Maybe he should be like Tonya and take up boxing to get rid of some of that stress! But seeing a long, violent movie about her would probably make him try to get his money back from the theater!

meggonzo

Banned Member
OK, I found his post on my phone. I'm fairly certain someone posted the video here that shows Tonya's dress popping open mid-jump, and there wasn't really a way for her to have unhooked it herself. Feels like a story Morry made up himself after she had more equipment failures just to pile-on.

Tinami Amori

i finally saw it last night (on a large screen computer with rewind options) and think it's a very poorly made movie in every respect. watched it to the end only because it is part of skating world/reality, but could not wait for it to end. if one loves a sport, one has to "see it all".. i guess.

- acting is not bad, but everything else is almost amateur. not a fan of "removal of 4th wall" element (actors stepping out of a story line and addressing audience directly or giving narrative), but if it is done well technically and fits the plot, then i can appreciate it, but not in this case. some segments were put in for sensation (rabbit killing, knife in the arm, etc.) and did not help the plot.

- practically EVERY dialogue is contrived, as in trying to "explain the obvious to a 5th grader". I can see the movie turned into a comics-book series, with all film's dialogues and conversations easily fitting into "bubbles".

- many scenes dragged on while the event itself had no significance. except for "evil mother" none of the main female characters looked even close to real people they were portraying, especially "nancy" and "tonya". camera work was not good at all, not at all! editing was probably done by a film student intern. "skating/competition segments" superimposed on the "arena and audience" for back ground are not well executed, and too obvious as computer generated "splicing".

- most of all, i hated, yes hated, the "beautification" of "Tonya" character, who in my opinion is very unattractive person with very repulsive behavior and style. I can feel sorry for her family situation, and probably would have tried to stop her mother if she hit a child in front of me, but having to watch the "results" of it all, is not pleasant or something general audience signed up for when attending skating events.

Yazmeen

All we are saying, is give peace a chance
i finally saw it last night (on a large screen computer with rewind options) and think it's a very poorly made movie in every respect. watched it to the end only because it is part of skating world/reality, but could not wait for it to end. if one loves a sport, one has to "see it all".. i guess.

- acting is not bad, but everything else is almost amateur. not a fan of "removal of 4th wall" element (actors stepping out of a story line and addressing audience directly or giving narrative), but if it is done well technically and fits the plot, then i can appreciate it, but not in this case. some segments were put in for sensation (rabbit killing, knife in the arm, etc.) and did not help the plot.

- many scenes dragged on while the event itself had no significance. except for "evil mother" none of the main female characters looked even close to real people they were portraying, especially "nancy" and "tonya". camera work was not good at all, not at all! editing was probably done by a film student intern. "skating/competition segments" superimposed on the "arena and audience" for back ground are not well executed, and too obvious as computer generated "splicing".

- most of all, i hated, yes hated, the "beautification" of "Tonya" character, who in my opinion is very unattractive person with very repulsive behavior and style. I can feel sorry for her family situation, and probably would have tried to stop her mother if she hit a child in front of me, but having to watch the "results" of it all, is not pleasant or something general audience signed up for when attending skating events.

Perhaps you would have appreciated it more if you hadn't been watching a stolen bootleg that was likely not as good quality as the big screen version...

Tinami Amori

Perhaps you would have appreciated it more if you hadn't been watching a stolen bootleg that was likely not as good quality as the big screen version...
Perhaps i would have enjoyed a bootleg copy more knowing that while i am watching this crap, at least i am causing mischief.... But no such luck, as i was watching a copy provided by "Motion Picture Association of America" to their VPs in Distribution, Rating and other departments (that i have connections to)....;)

Yazmeen

Perhaps i would have enjoyed a bootleg copy more knowing that while i am watching this crap, at least i am causing mischief.... But no such luck, as i was watching a copy provided by "Motion Picture Association of America" to their VPs in Distribution, Rating and other departments (that i have connections to)....;)

ETA after Vagabond's explanation: You still watched a bootleg provided by "Connections" that you shouldn't have had.

Last edited:

berthesghost

Yeah, I’m pretty sure the quality of the video I downloaded didn’t taint my opinion of: well acted, poorly written and directed. I actually thought the editing helped. It’s really the basic concept of the movie that I think is bad, not the specific parts, although the concept could have been propped up with better writing. Overall I found it a very shallow look at a rather complex situation.

Vagabond

VPs who are not supposed to share copies with third parties. Hence, you watched a bootleg copy. I hope that makes it more enjoyable for you in retrospect. :)

Yazmeen

Sorry, but love or hate Tonya, this is still a small budget movie, and it ticks me off to see people bootlegging it. To me, that's stealing from the artist(s). If you don't want to or can't see it in the theater, wait for the damned DVD or Netflix/legal availability sites.

Tinami Amori

ETA after Vagabond's explanation: You still watched a bootleg provided by "Connections" that you shouldn't have had.
i am not getting into that, but such copies are intended not just for friends and family, but for "focus viewing groups" to get feed-back.... :D

.. and if i had a real "bootleg" link, i would have posted it here loooong time ago....

Sorry, but love or hate Tonya, this is still a small budget movie, and it ticks me off to see people bootlegging it. To me, that's stealing from the artist(s). If you don't want to or can't see it in the theater, wait for the damned DVD or Netflix/legal availability sites.

I don't mind "small budget movies", often i love them! "Stranger than Paradise", "Withnail and I", etc. Even VERY low budget movies about "low downs" can be well made "Clerks I/II", "Liquid Sky", "Smithereens" (which i like more than "Desp. Seek Suz" for example).. Just not "I, Tonya"..... :D

Tinami Amori

Tonya was partially punished for her jealousy and competing (with Nancy) in less relevant issues (than skating). There is not shame in being young and poor, especially if one has talent and abilities above the rest (jumps, technique, etc.).. Had she worried less about "fancy costumes like Nancy has" and simply bought a nice plain well-fitting costume at the rink-shop (back in the 90's they were not more than 40USD), and decorated it tastefully with stones or lace, she would have had more respect and understanding. For every Princess there is a Cinderella, and America loves the underdog.

This simple dress (sold in skate shops at many rinks) with minor decorations.... https://i.pinimg.com/originals/25/ed/e4/25ede4dea21232fd28aacd9b464eda0e.jpg
... would look hella-better than this tasteless disaster..... http://i29.tinypic.com/hvdz03.jpg

HSCluv

I can't believe the 93 nationals short program video is no longer up. Wow! I have watched it in the past and it does not look like she unhooks the dress. How could anyone really unhook a dress mid triple Lutz?

While trying to find the video I saw that Tonya's 87 NHK short program is up. And Wow...again! It is a great program with triple Lutz double loop and a nice dress. I had seen the long from that competition but not the short until just now. Did anyone besides Midori do a triple Lutz just a few months later at the 88 Olympics?

vesperholly

Tonya was partially punished for her jealousy and competing (with Nancy) in less relevant issues (than skating). There is not shame in being young and poor, especially if one has talent and abilities above the rest (jumps, technique, etc.).. Had she worried less about "fancy costumes like Nancy has" and simply bought a nice plain well-fitting costume at the rink-shop (back in the 90's they were not more than 40USD), and decorated it tastefully with stones or lace, she would have had more respect and understanding. For every Princess there is a Cinderella, and America loves the underdog.

This simple dress (sold in skate shops at many rinks) with minor decorations.... https://i.pinimg.com/originals/25/ed/e4/25ede4dea21232fd28aacd9b464eda0e.jpg
... would look hella-better than this tasteless disaster..... http://i29.tinypic.com/hvdz03.jpg
That's your tasteless disaster? It's gaudy and early 90s, but nowhere near as tacky and cheap as her Nationals dress: http://media.oregonlive.com/oregonian/photo/2014/01/-1d595878b94847f2.JPG

She wore this nice simple dress for her SP at 1993 Skate America. Too bad that was its only appearance. https://i.ytimg.com/vi/uZ9jDIt7_mA/hqdefault.jpg

Last edited:

Inessence

i could have swore I read somewhere that Diane ordered the Sheehan LP dress so Tonya wouldn’t show up in Norway in that purple get up

I recall another seamstress feeling bad for Tonya donated to her a white dress to here that was never worn. The woman was pretty salty about it afterwards and wanted the dress back. I think Tonya said it just didn't fit right and there wasn't time to make alterations.

Tinami Amori

That's your tasteless disaster? It's gaudy and early 90s, but nowhere near as tacky and cheap as her Nationals dress: http://media.oregonlive.com/oregonian/photo/2014/01/-1d595878b94847f2.JPG

She wore this nice simple dress for her SP at 1993 Skate America. Too bad that was its only appearance. https://i.ytimg.com/vi/uZ9jDIt7_mA/hqdefault.jpg
:D that was pretty bad also. but.. it was less "busy" and the "idea/geometry" was not bad, just the execution and proportions. early 90's dresses were over the top across the board, for most girls.

Foolhardy Ham Lint

OK, I found his post on my phone. I'm fairly certain someone posted the video here that shows Tonya's dress popping open mid-jump, and there wasn't really a way for her to have unhooked it herself. Feels like a story Morry made up himself after she had more equipment failures just to pile-on.

Stillwell is certainly saying more about himself than Tonya. Especially when there is video evidence to support it.

There is a copy of Tonya's short program from 1993, where seconds into her skate, the clasp on her dress clearly pops open by itself. Tonya only became aware of the malfunction as she was rotating the triple lutz on her first attempt.

Mirai Nagasu and Nathan Chen have had their share of equipment failures, too. The tremendous wear and tear on blades, boots and eyelets holding shoe laces in place, certainly can't be helped by the centrifugal force caused by powerful jumps and fast spins.

Foolhardy Ham Lint

I found it by typing in his name to Google, it was the first page that came up. Looks like Mr. Stillwell has some issues with Tonya as well as Weston Hotels, Costco, Uber, Dish Network, saggy pants, AOL, Facebook, protests, Sheraton hotels, Samsung TVs, and Alaska Airlines!

Maybe he should be like Tonya and take up boxing to get rid of some of that stress! But seeing a long, violent movie about her would probably make him try to get his money back from the theater!

Hahaha. I love it. #I, MORRY! #FirstWorldProblems

I remember in 1994 watching then USFSA president, Claire Ferguson, blow a gasket that she didn't get a bigger suite when she stayed at the Westin in Detroit.

I wonder if it was Claire who bungled Rory Flack's eligible reinstatement application that season, the same way she forgot to include alternates for the 1984 World Team. Meaning, when Sumners and Chin withdrew from the event, USA only had Elaine Zayak to represent them.

Inessence

Wonder if she feels sympathy for Nancy...

Apparently. I read it wasn't until she did the movie that she also felt empathy for Tonya. Lavonna was such a destroying factor though how could she not? I understand why she would keep Nancy's name out of her mouth though. Especially when promoting a movie about Tonya and going for acting awards.

Yazmeen

Or her handlers told her to tone it down now that she is a potential front - runner for an Oscar (nomination), maybe?

I wouldn't be surprised. A backstage interview does not have the same impact as her "And that's all I'm going to say" acceptance speech. And I have nothing against Janney - I adored her in "The West Wing" and her performance as Tonya's mom is amazing. But after the Globes, you don't want to do a "Norbit" before the Oscars.

And if she feels empathy, that's fine, she's entitled to her feelings. But portraying Tonya as a victim overshadowing that Tonya participated (IN ANY MANNER) in a plot to injure a competitor? Sorry, not acceptable.

VGThuy

Hahaha. I love it. #I, MORRY! #FirstWorldProblems

I remember in 1994 watching then USFSA president, Claire Ferguson, blow a gasket that she didn't get a bigger suite when she stayed at the Westin in Detroit.

I wonder if it was Claire who bungled Rory Flack's eligible reinstatement application that season, the same way she forgot to include alternates for the 1984 World Team. Meaning, when Sumners and Chin withdrew from the event, USA only had Elaine Zayak to represent them.

Geez Louise! I didn't know all of that happened.

Japanfan

This is a movie, not a skating event.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information