Hurricane Michael

paskatefan

Everyone in the path of Hurricane Michael, take whatever precautions you need to take & be safe!

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, T&M, P&C
Lot of fsuers in Florida. Please take care and let us know how you are doing, This storm came out of nothing, it seems. I started paying attention yesterday. Now they are shiwing a lot of flooding.

susan6

I decided to evacuate this morning; I'm now about 100 miles east of Tallahassee. There are so many trees in Tallahassee, power will be out for a long time. (I passed dozens of power line maintainance crews and tree service trucks on the way out, those guys will be making some serious overtime.) I cannot even imagine what Panama City is facing right now.

Catherine M

One of the storm chasers, Brett Adair and a friend tried to make a run for the eyewall and got caught by sudden storm surge. He was streaming it all:

https://foxsanantonio.com/news/nati...rricane-michael-take-cover-as-car-floats-away

The part where they get caught is in the video at the 30 min or so mark; they fled their truck, climbed a wall and broke into a house where so far they are alive. Warning the video has NSFW words all through it as obviously when they realized they were screwed, they got a bit upset.

quartz

scratching at the light
I decided to evacuate this morning; I'm now about 100 miles east of Tallahassee. There are so many trees in Tallahassee, power will be out for a long time. (I passed dozens of power line maintainance crews and tree service trucks on the way out, those guys will be making some serious overtime.) I cannot even imagine what Panama City is facing right now.
I hope you stay safe - thank you for checking in and letting us know. I think @skatesindreams is not in the path, but what about our other FSUers in the area? @floridaice - are you okay too?

Last edited:

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, T&M, P&C

Smart of you to evacuate.

Simone411

To Boldly Explore Figure Skating Around The World
My prayers are with everyone that lives within that hurricane's path. I'm so thankful that the majority of the people took heed and evacuated. But for the ones that didn't, I pray that they somehow survive. :cry:

skatesindreams

We may get some showers late tonight as the final band sweeps through, west to east.
However, if they happen at all, they will be minor; nothing like those that are in the direct path are experiencing.

TOADS

Toad whisperer.....
This is the new reality. With climate change, storms are going to be more ferocious, more deadly.

While everyone seems to be distracted by all that is going in Washington DC, this is the real threat. I know there is a lot of concern over Kavanaugh and everything attached to the case. I am concerned about the 10,000 death toll that is coming when one of these superstorm hits a coastal area like Miami.

I am glad there are folks here ringing the bell on the social issues. I am ringing the bell on what is coming from Mother Nature.......

4rkidz

plotting, planning and travelling
This is the new reality. With climate change, storms are going to be more ferocious, more deadly.

While everyone seems to be distracted by all that is going in Washington DC, this is the real threat. I know there is a lot of concern over Kavanaugh and everything attached to the case. I am concerned about the 10,000 death toll that is coming when one of these superstorm hits a coastal area like Miami.

I am glad there are folks here ringing the bell on the social issues. I am ringing the bell on what is coming from Mother Nature.......
Agreed., my daughter is a wildlife biologist and says climate change is our biggest threat to the planet. Not sure how we can mobilize the climate deniers to educate themselves

ballettmaus

^That's what I was thinking. This was the fifth storm of that kind in two years, it is the second year in a row that there was more than one of those powerful, monstrous and deadly storms and the idiots in Washington are still denying that climate change is real and a substantial threat.

The pictures that they are showing are horrible. That was (and still is) one monster of a storm. And CNN had a lady on the phone who said she and her family (including a 12-year-old daughter) didn't evacuate because they didn't think it was going to be that bad. Fortunately, they are safe but still :wall:

floridaice

I hope you stay safe - thank you for checking in and letting us know. I think @skatesindreams is not in the path, but what about our other FSUers in the area? @floridaice - are you okay too?

Thanks for the concern -- I'm in the Orlando area, so no issues with Michael. It hit one of my favorite areas of Florida -- St George Island and Apalachicola. The area east of Panama City is not highly developed like Panama City Beach and the beach areas to the west -- still kind of unspoiled and beautiful.

Moto Guzzi

Waiting to hear from my cousin in Panama City. Two friends there are unharmed but their house is a mess. One posted: "We are good. Home has severe damage. We can see sky in most all of house water 1 to 2 in all over. Ceiling fell in on us (ouch) but are ok. From what we see in our block ... Panama City is devastated. We just have prayers everyone is safe. We are in the one dry room with ceiling and a lake. Prayers for all."

I'm grateful that so many friends have checked in to say they are ok but I'm very worried about others.

KCC

This is terrible to admit, but I have hurricane fatigue. Most of it is just due to the way the media talks about storms, and I still do fell terrible for the people involved. Just can't follow the coverage anymore.

TOADS

Toad whisperer.....
This is terrible to admit, but I have hurricane fatigue. Most of it is just due to the way the media talks about storms, and I still do fell terrible for the people involved. Just can't follow the coverage anymore.
I think the media is beating all stories to death....

Skittl1321

News fatigue is a problem with a 24-hour news cycle when there isn't really 24-hours of news.

This one seems pretty horrific too. I don't know how climate change deniers live with themselves. Especially ones who are blocking infrastructure that will help secure lives/homes of people who live in these areas.

I feel like there isn't much that can be done on the individual level though, it's up to the government. I installed solar panels on my house, so we aren't using fossil fuels anymore; but what else to do?

KCC

My brothers & sister are al climate change deniers. Sister lives on the east coast of FL and has 2 young grandchildren in Maryland. She once told me (kind of gleefully, but incorrectly) that homeowners in FL were not allowed to put solar panels on their roofs. It makes it hard to even talk about the weather with her.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information