Hurricane Michael

ballettmaus

I watched some of the CNN coverage today and Mexico Beach looks like a war zone. It's devastating!

On a positive note though, I caught a segment about someone rescuing four kittens. Apparently, the owners of the house didn't know the kittens were there and then the ceiling came down and the kittens fell down with it. No word on the mom (might have been the owner's cat, didn't catch the segment from the start) but the kittens all were unharmed (and adorably cute).

Japanfan

My brothers & sister are al climate change deniers. Sister lives on the east coast of FL and has 2 young grandchildren in Maryland. She once told me (kind of gleefully, but incorrectly) that homeowners in FL were not allowed to put solar panels on their roofs. It makes it hard to even talk about the weather with her.

I'm reminded of several conversations with my SIL and her husband, Mr. Japanfan almost got into physical blows arguing about climate change with the husband.

One conversation in particular comes to mind, pertaining to the melting of the Arctic. Either SIL or husband, or both, asked why it mattered whether polar bears survived as opposed to becoming extinct.

:confused::confused:

TOADS

Toad whisperer.....
Hurricane Michael is now the 4th hurricane in the last two years that has pulled the 11th hour surprise.

Looking back at the model data, Michael was actually foretasted to weaken to a Cat 2 before making landfall. Dry air at mid levels of the atmosphere was surrounding the hurricane and usually as this air gets entrained into the system, it acts like throwing sand into an engine, causing it to weaken.

Instead, Michael exploded to a Cat 5 before hitting the Panhandle.

There is going to be a lot of postmortems on this system to figure what the hell is going on to make this system defy logic and do what it did. This also happened to Harvey last year when it was suppose to make landfall as a Cat 1 but intensified to a Cat 4 at landfall.

The most dramatic explosive intensification as Patricia in the eastern Pacific when it went from winds of 70 mph to 215 mph with gusts to 240 mph in under 24 hours. Luckily it weakened somewhat before making landfall and hit an unpopulated portion of the Mexican coast.

One thing is for certain, we will see more of this kind of activity in the future.....

Garden Kitty

Tranquillo
I watched some of the CNN coverage today and Mexico Beach looks like a war zone. It's devastating!

On a positive note though, I caught a segment about someone rescuing four kittens. Apparently, the owners of the house didn't know the kittens were there and then the ceiling came down and the kittens fell down with it. No word on the mom (might have been the owner's cat, didn't catch the segment from the start) but the kittens all were unharmed (and adorably cute).

Here's a link to the segment about the kittens on ABC News, along with an update that they've been transferred to an animal shelter in the area.

Aceon6

Wrangling the duvet into the cover
And FEMA doesn’t seem to be helping with food/water distribution, nor are they keeping lists of where people can go.

skatesindreams

1 hr 57 min ago
Trump touts storm response after landing in Florida
From CNN's Allie Malloy

President Trump touted the federal, state and local response to Hurricane Michael and hailed the efforts of Florida Gov. Rick Scott, shortly after arriving in Florida to tour hurricane damage.
Trump said officials "stepped up" and followed "right behind" Hurricane Michael.

"Job they've done in Florida has been incredible. Likewise, in Georgia," Trump told the pool reporters.
Trump added that thousands of electricians are working on getting the power back on but pointed out that the bigger problem is many homes don't exist anymore.

Latest summary:

• Across the southeast, more than 250,000 are still without power Monday morning, unable to fend off the stifling heat.
  • Drivers are lining up for hours to get fuel.
  • Residents in the hardest- hit areas are relying on airdropped food and water to survive.

When thousands are scrounging for even the most basic supplies; and what does appear, is brought by citizen volunteers from all over, I would not say that the official response was adequate, much less superior.

and

1 hr 15 min ago
Every school in this Florida county was damaged, official says
From CNN's Nicole Chavez and Ray Sanchez

The future of thousands of students remains unclear in the wake of Hurricane Michael, especially those in Bay County, where schools are closed until further notice.
"It's not going to be a normal school year. There's nothing normal about where we are right now," Bay District Schools Superintendent Bill Husfelt told CNN affiliate WMBB.
With the majority of its 26,000 students displaced and many schools deemed not safe because of the damage, officials are discussing alternative ways to get students back to the classroom or provide psychological aid for them.
"I would say every single school in Bay County has some type of damage, some more extensive than others," said Steve Moss, vice chairman of Bay District School Board. "Some it'll probably take weeks or months to get online. Some it will take years."

Moto Guzzi

One friend just got her electricity back on. She was surprised when it came on because there are so many trees down, the roads are blocked everywhere. She had problems finding gas for her generator because roads haven't been able to be cleared and gas sales are limited. Another friend lives near Marianna and was told that they won't get their electricity back until December 15.

My friends in Panama City are camping out in their severely damaged home. They don't want to leave because they are afraid looters will steal everything that wasn't destroyed. Even though it's difficult for them to go anywhere, they've offered to gather supplies for our friend near Marianna. Marianna friend's son and his wife are driving down from Iowa with as many supplies as they can fit in their vehicle.

skatesindreams

Latest update, per CNN:

HURRICANE MICHAEL
It's been a week since Hurricane Michael devastated the Florida Panhandle, and everyone's still trying to get a good handle on the misery. The death toll is still rising, up to at least 29 deaths in four states. Searchers are finding more bodies as the waters recede. And authorities fear some people who didn't evacuate might be buried under piles of wood, metal and concrete in the worst-hit areas in Florida, which now has an online form to report the missing. Residents of Mexico Beach, the coastal town pretty much wiped out by Michael, can now visit their properties to survey damage and salvage items.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information