Hurricane Hilary

Dobre

Hurricane Hilary intensifies to Category 3 strength, threatening significant flooding in Southern California, Southwest​

How crazy is this? It's been so long since there was a hurricane on the U.S. West Coast, I've lived my whole life under the apparently mistaken impression that hurricanes in the Pacific were all called typhoons.

skatingguy

decently

Hurricane Hilary intensifies to Category 3 strength, threatening significant flooding in Southern California, Southwest​

How crazy is this? It's been so long since there was a hurricane on the U.S. West Coast, I've lived my whole life under the apparently mistaken impression that hurricanes in the Pacific were all called typhoons.
And if said storm should cross the international date line than it will be called a typhoon.

sk9tingfan

There is a family from New Zealand whom I follow on Youtube and Instagram. They scheduled a 9 week tour starting in LA and then to NYC with a tour of London and other places in Europe. They appeared to have left yesterday last evening with about a 14 hour flight arriving sometime today(they're 19 hours ahead of LA). This is the first time that the mother and their two kids have been outside of New Zealand, so can you imagine facing a major weather event?!!

BTW, they return to the US via Florida and Texas, the first two weeks in October, also prime hurricane weather!

sk9tingfan

There is a family from New Zealand whom I follow on Youtube and Instagram. They scheduled a 9 week tour starting in LA and then to NYC with a tour of London and other places in Europe. They appeared to have left yesterday last evening with about a 14 hour flight arriving sometime today(they're 19 hours ahead of LA). This is the first time that the mother and their two kids have been outside of New Zealand, so can you imagine facing a major weather event?!!

BTW, they return to the US via Florida and Texas, the first two weeks in October, also prime hurricane weather!
They've arrived and are safe.

Frau Muller

From Puerto Rico…With Love! Not LatinX!
The odd thing is that we in Puerto Rico always await a big hurricane right now - last week of August into first two weeks of Sept is ZERO HOUR…yet our weather reports today are focusing on California. Odd world! 🌴 💨 🌞 🌴 💨 🌞 🌴 💨 🌞

UPDATE - UPDATE! I wrote too quickly. Now a tiny un-named “tropical wave” has grown and been renamed Franklin. It’s headed mainly to the Dom Rep but we’ll get a lot of rain. Power lines down? It better not ruin my plans to view JrGP Bangkok later this week! 💪

Glad that California is just dealing with rain…not as bad as expected.

Vagabond

As far as I can tell, there have been no reported deaths or serious injuries in the United States, at least not in San Diego, Los Angeles, Orange, and San Bernardino Counties in California. Local governments are attributing this to good emergency planning and giving people ample warnings.

I would add to having good infrastructure to this list. Los Angeles and Orange Counties have invested in flood diversion project that worked well and have stored up enough water to serve tens of thousands of households for a year.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information