Hold on to your fascinators, it could be a snarky ride! It's Royal Wedding Day! Wheeee!

screech

Apparently since people have royal fever right now, the hotness of Sweden's Prince Carl Philip has made it's semi-regular return to the public eye.

I've always found Prince Harry cute, but once I learned about Prince Carl Philip a few years ago, he definitely became the top hunky prince IMO. And like Harry, the facial hair just amplifies the attractiveness.

(/end objectification)

Scrufflet

A snarky ride indeed! Apparently the horrible half-sib is at it again despite Markle senior's request that they shut up. She claimed to have crashed a car into a tree because of the paparazzi (no, you're not Diana), has changed her name back to Markle and is now going after Meghan's mother, accusing her of making money off the royals (she's collecting money for interviews with Florida media), so...
My question is when will they stop? Will we ever be free of news items about them?

Frida80

A snarky ride indeed! Apparently the horrible half-sib is at it again despite Markle senior's request that they shut up. She claimed to have crashed a car into a tree because of the paparazzi (no, you're not Diana), has changed her name back to Markle and is now going after Meghan's mother, accusing her of making money off the royals (she's collecting money for interviews with Florida media), so...
My question is when will they stop? Will we ever be free of news items about them?

Now that the wedding is over, public interest in them will diminish. The build up to the wedding and the demand for any type of information will go away. After that offers for interviews will dry up. After that Samantha will have to deal with the reprocussions of alienating her family. MS shortens one’s life span by about a decade or more, after all.

Sasha'sSpins

🇺🇦💙🙏💛🇺🇦
Loved the Royal wedding - most of it! I was disappointed at first sight of Meghan's wedding dress. So was my mom, my sisters and my niece who phoned me from Connecticut to tell me so. We all thought it was just too plain and the alleged price tag (half a mil!) outrageous for such a simple design, even adding in the hours it took to make and embroider the veil. It has grown on me some though the more I've rewatched the wedding. Still not a favorite but it's okay. The veil was GORGEOUS. Exquisite and I LURVED the tiara (her something borrowed from the Queen). Queen Mary had great taste!

I liked the Episcopalian preacher at first, but then he got annoying for me when he went on and on and on and seemed to lose focus (and the congregation) with his overblown shouting. I've been to evangelical services and that is not unusual but the good Archbishop just seemed to lose his train of thought at times and seemed to be ad-libbing towards the end. It was painful to watch some of the congregants seemingly trying not to laugh, stifling giggles or even look quite amazed and making faces (Zara Tindall). I felt bad for him because I DID get what he was trying to say in general. My mom couldn't stand him, my sister was far more tolerant. She thought he was okay and that some people just weren't used to his style.

If the dress has been compared to J-Lo's in that film I guess it's just because as I said above, the design was so simple, it seems such a basic design, and not imo very original. Any talented seamstress or dressmaker could have whipped up that dress. I would still love to know where the almost half-a mil price tag came from. The material perhaps? Added to the hours put in for the embroidery but like my mom said, I would have slapped a little bling on that thing for such a price.

Btw, I LOVE the title of this thread!!

The children were all precious of course. My faves, apart from Princess Charlotte and Prince George, were the Mulroney twins, John and Brian. Twins run in my family so they had a special place in my heart! Brian especially was all kinds of cuteness when he put on that big awed toothless grin as soon as the trumpets blared out! He nearly stole the show from Meghan as she walked in! It will be fun in future years to see these children interviewed about this special Royal wedding day, and hear their thoughts on what they remember of it!

I loved loved loved Meghan's reception dress by Stella McCartney! Once again, a simple design but the halter style imo made the dress! Again - a very simple, basic style and I can't help wonder where the $80,000 (or is it pounds) rumoured price tag comes from. I also loved that Meghan, like Kate, is wearing their late mother-in-law's jewelry. It was just as Diana asked for in her Will! She would be so proud of both of her boys I am sure, and it was poignant for me to watch Harry marry, just as it was to watch William. I remember crying buckets when I first glimpsed Diana's boys walking behind their beloved mother's cortege. I hope she's looking down on them and her adorable grandchildren.

I've always thought Harry was cute but to me William is the more classically handsome. I was never into either though. Too young for me LOL. So is Andrea Casiraghi who I think is also quite handsome!

Last edited:

IceAlisa

discriminating and persnickety ballet aficionado
@Sasha'sSpins I think what made the Stella McCartney dress so great was that it was made from beautiful flowing silk and really flattered her while the ceremony dress was so stiff and severe looking IMO. Some snarky Russians compared it to Russian Orthodox novitiate attire. It looked better in photographs where she was sitting. Everyone seems to agree about the veil and the tiara though. :swoon:

Cachoo

It was too plain for me but in the sunlight on the stairs of the church, with tiara and veil, she did look angelic. I guess if I were in her shoes I'd rather be in the less is more department. Somehow, being blinged out or a jeweled bodice or a Diana sized dress would have been too much. But she is tiny and I do think the dress overwhelmed her just a bit. I know she liked Carolyn Bessette and I thought she captured that vibe with the other gown.

I like the name "Doria." I don't understand her siblings. I don't want to at the moment. I looked at the multitude of photos in The Daily Mail and then had to peek at the snarky comments. She certainly has her haters in the UK and US, renaming her and utterly convinced she does not love Harry and know that since is an actor then of course it is all an act. I've noticed it is always a few people who are alarmingly hateful. Once I read something directed at Benedict Cumberbatch's wife and I thought it vile enough to consult security. We see it sometimes in figure skating. (Michelle knows.) I guess she'll just have to keep calm and carry on.

vesperholly

ROFL. I have been known to invite people to dinner at “Jewish 6:30” which is 7.

My daughter’s wedding started 15 minutes past announced time, meaning the WASPs were impatient and the Jews were still in the ladies’ room.
TIL I'm on Jewish time :lol:

MsZem

I see the sea
Apparently since people have royal fever right now, the hotness of Sweden's Prince Carl Philip has made it's semi-regular return to the public eye.
Heh, how cruel of Buzzfeed to wait until the end to inform readers about Princess Sofia :D

Interesting details about my favorite guest outfit. She sure showed them. :kickass: I don’t understand why they didn’t fall all over themselves to dress her.
https://www.yahoo.com/lifestyle/meg...ers-wanted-dress-royal-wedding-235342925.html
It's hard for me to work up much sympathy for someone complaining about being denied free designer clothes. Yes, l know that's how red carpet events work. But it comes off as tacky and entitled. All she and her stylist needed to do was give credit to the place that did work with them (Western Costume Co.) rather than making them sound like they were way down the list of choices.

IceAlisa

It's hard for me to work up much sympathy for someone complaining about being denied free designer clothes. Yes, l know that's how red carpet events work. But it comes off as tacky and entitled. All she and her stylist needed to do was give credit to the place that did work with them (Western Costume Co.) rather than making them sound like they were way down the list of choices.
I think it wasn’t a smart decision commercially by the designers who snubbed her, entitlement or not. She’s a friend of the bride, a striking woman, a perfect clothes hanger. And look how she caught the eye. Their loss, really. These clothes aren’t entirely free—the designers get exposure in exchange.

MsZem

I see the sea
I think it wasn’t a smart decision commercially by the designers who snubbed her, entitlement or not. She’s a friend of the bride, a striking woman, a perfect clothes hanger. And look how she caught the eye. Their loss, really. These clothes aren’t entirely free—the designers get exposure in exchange.
There were many better known guests at the wedding, and quite a few striking women - I don't think l even noticed this dress until you mentioned it. There are various reasons why Janina Gavankar might not have gotten what she'd hoped for, and making it into a story is tacky. This was the royal wedding of a good friend, and she chose to focus on her difficulty in obtaining expensive free clothes.

I'm not sure it's going to do her any favors when it comes to future events. And since, as I noted, this event was not about Ms. Gavankar's sartorial challenges, l think I'll leave it at that.

IceAlisa

There were many better known guests at the wedding, and quite a few striking women - I don't think l even noticed this dress until you mentioned it. There are various reasons why Janina Gavankar might not have gotten what she'd hoped for, and making it into a story is tacky. This was the royal wedding of a good friend, and she chose to focus on her difficulty in obtaining expensive free clothes.

I'm not sure it's going to do her any favors when it comes to future events. And since, as I noted, this event was not about Ms. Gavankar's sartorial challenges, l think I'll leave it at that.
The event is over. I am not arguing whether it’s tacky or not. I am saying this was an exposure opportunity missed. She got a lot of feedback about her attire even if you missed it. Again, these clothes are not a donation. They are means to an end.

This is what her stylist had to say:
Schwan, a Los Angeles-based stylist, got right to the point, writing on Instagram that day, “To be clear, we requested several designer brands & showrooms (for her to wear to the wedding) who either denied us or just ignored us. & obviously, this is not something you “shop” for, as we were committed to creating something special and unique.”
She added, “I kinda love being denied sometimes, it just forces me to work harder, smarter, more creatively & continuously think outside the box! Which is what styling is really about. This trio of women KILLED this moment, with their Royal Wedding STRUT (Squad goals for real!) and @janina is one of the single most searched names of those who attended the wedding, due to this moment & we are overwhelmed & grateful by the response to her look. (Too bad to all the brands and showrooms that denied us). Keep on keepin on y’all. Rejection is Gods protection, I always say!”

Perhaps you missed this ensemble because you were too distracted by Camilla's hat ;)

Last edited:

Skittl1321

I think what makes it a story is actresses of color are often denied by showrooms. (The cast of Orange is the New Black has said this quite a bit.). We assume designers dress all these famous people, even tertiary famous people I haven't heard of. Those who are not getting that should speak up. It matters. And she did phrase the company who assisted her. She looked fabulous.

MsZem

I see the sea
I think what makes it a story is actresses of color are often denied by showrooms. (The cast of Orange is the New Black has said this quite a bit.). We assume designers dress all these famous people, even tertiary famous people I haven't heard of. Those who are not getting that should speak up. It matters. And she did phrase the company who assisted her. She looked fabulous.
There were some beautifully dressed women of color at the wedding - Serena Williams and Gina Torres both knocked it out of the park, and Priyanka Chopra's reception dress was stunning. This is a business that trades on celebrity: Oprah can get Stella McCartney to make her a bespoke dress overnight, while a C-list actress would probably not get such treatment.

The royals pay for their own clothes, of course.

Japanfan

There were some beautifully dressed women of color at the wedding - Serena Williams and Gina Torres both knocked it out of the park, and Priyanka Chopra's reception dress was stunning. This is a business that trades on celebrity: Oprah can get Stella McCartney to make her a bespoke dress overnight, while a C-list actress would probably not get such treatment.

I'm not sure about Oprah's pale pink dress. I've always maintained that people with dark skin can get away with wearing a broader range of colors than people with light skin.

But that pale pink was tragic IMO. Maybe a very pale person could have gotten away with it, IDK.

But Oprah rocked it of course. She always looks fantastic regardless of what she wears or what she weighs.

SHARPIE

fsuniverse.COM (finally)
Staff member
MS shortens one’s life span by about a decade or more, after all.

What a nasty comment! There are people on this forum with family members with MS or even have it themselves (like myself) so thanks very much for putting me on a total downer just as I return from holiday.

By the way, there's no actual real evidence of that.

Christ that's ruined my day. 😡😡😡😡😡😡

Frida80

What a nasty comment! There are people on this forum with family members with MS or even have it themselves (like myself) so thanks very much for putting me on a total downer just as I return from holiday.

By the way, there's no actual real evidence of that.

Christ that's ruined my day. 😡😡😡😡😡😡

Sorry. I was just repeating what read online. My father and I do fundraisers for MS and I'm very passionate about finding a cure. Maybe I internalize exaggerated facts to get people to pay more attention. Because I feel like it doesn't get the attention it deserved at all.

I'm sorry if I upset you. I hope you can forgive me.

Skittl1321

The royals pay for their own clothes, of course.

Janina Gavankar was gorgeously dressed. I think she was one of the most stunning. It worked out for her, but it doesn't make it a non-issue.

That there are some women of color who can get designers to dress them doesn't excuse the fact that more systematically women of color are NOT able to get designers to dress them the way white women can. A D-list white actress (heck even LOWER, I have a friend who has only done bit parts in TV shows who gets free dresses lent for minor award shows) can get designers to pull dresses for her. You often need to be A-list if you are not white (or plus sized) to get the exact same treatment. Leslie Jones could only get one designer to dress her for the premier of a movie she was the lead in. Beyonce's Mom designed outfits for Destiny's Child because no one would dress them. Compare that to bloggers who get free clothes thrown at them with relatively little following compared to even D- list actresses.

And Oprah? Oprah is so far beyond in terms of cache; and yet, even she has had problems in the past with designers. Hermes famously wouldn't show her a handbag because it was "too expensive" for her - she was a multi-billionaire at the time. (In 2013, separate from the 2005 incident where they wouldn't let her in the store near closing time.)

The royals pay for their own clothes out of conflict of interest. They would get plenty free if they were allowed to accept it.

MsZem

I see the sea
A D-list white actress (heck even LOWER, I have a friend who has only done bit parts in TV shows who gets free dresses lent for minor award shows) can get designers to pull dresses for her.
Clearly Janina Gavankar has received free dresses before, given that she and her stylist were unhappy about their treatment this time. Maybe this was too short a notice, or designers had other things on their plates, or she wanted something that wasn't feasible. Regardless of the cause for her grave disappointment, I think that a friend's wedding should be about being there for your friend and rejoicing with her. If all you have to say publicly is that you wuzrobbed of a free dress from the designers of your choice, then to me that's tacky. This was a British royal wedding, not a red carpet event. Save your complaining for a more appropriate time.

This discussion was OT for this thread to begin with and hasn't gotten any more relevant since. Instead, let's enjoy this excellent picture of the royal family waving off the Duchess and Duke after the ceremony. Also, this Prince George meme.

Vagabond

That there are some women of color who can get designers to dress them doesn't excuse the fact that more systematically women of color are NOT able to get designers to dress them the way white women can. A D-list white actress (heck even LOWER, I have a friend who has only done bit parts in TV shows who gets free dresses lent for minor award shows) can get designers to pull dresses for her.
What's up with you this week?

This was a wedding, not an awards show. There is a reason why designers indulge actresses in particular by lending them dresses, namely publicity that is more valuable than the dresses themselves. But, for the most part, it's only actresses who get this favorable treatment. There was a woman who won an Academy Award for her documentary a few years ago who mentioned that she spent more on her dress for Oscar night than she did on the film!

Actresses, regardless of whether they are "of color" have no special rights free dresses for weddings. After all, the bride, who is a far more renowned actress than her friend, shelled out her own money for her dress and didn't think to mention that she couldn't trade on her Suits credentials to get a freebie.

:violin:

skatesindreams

The bride, who is a far more renowned actress than her friend, shelled out her own money for her dress and didn't think to mention that she couldn't trade on her Suits credentials to get a freebie.

I doubt that it would have occurred to Meghan to do that!

Skittl1321

What's up with you this week?
What's up with ME this week? Um okay.
The ignore button is your friend. If my comments bother you so much, try pressing it.

This was a wedding, not an awards show. There is a reason why designers indulge actresses in particular by lending them dresses, namely publicity that is more valuable than the dresses themselves. But, for the most part, it's only actresses who get this favorable treatment. There was a woman who won an Academy Award for her documentary a few years ago who mentioned that she spent more on her dress for Oscar night than she did on the film!

Actresses, regardless of whether they are "of color" have no special rights free dresses for weddings. After all, the bride, who is a far more renowned actress than her friend, shelled out her own money for her dress and didn't think to mention that she couldn't trade on her Suits credentials to get a freebie.

:violin:

I'm sure of all the people who did get free dresses as gifts or lent to for the wedding it is because the designers are close personal friends who wanted to give away a dress just to be nice and expected no publicity at all because of this tiny obscure wedding where there would be no publicity or photos released at all. Certainly people have been lent or given dresses (and suits) to wear to MUCH MUCH smaller events of much less significance than this. Nearly every photo I've seen of guests is accompanied by what designer they are wearing. The fashion of the event was significant, which is why designers dressed many of the guests, rather than most guests pulling from their closest. (And note this is an actress who is called out by name in photos and not identified as "guest" next to someone more famous.)

I certainly don't believe anyone has the "right" to a dress, but there is a pattern to who seems to get the free dresses.

As for the bride- if she was allowed to accept it, no doubt her wedding dress wouldn't have been paid for from her own money. But as a royal wedding she can't take the comp. Whether or not she would have been comped if this was a Hollywood wedding- who knows? Most people I know had never heard of her before she started dating Prince Harry, but I don't read celebrity gossip. Maybe she was all over People and US in her own right based on her movie and TV work.
As to her complaining she had to pay for her own dress- are you kidding me? Of course she won't do that. She's a freaking Duchess now- her PR is tightly controlled, and no way is she allowed to give that interview.

ribbon

The problem with celebrities at the wedding is they all continue the story to stay in the news. Chopra took photos of her gown on the reception grounds, news has come out calling Serena Williams the queen of beer pong, and George Clooney danced with Kate and Meghan, etc.

that's not what the royal family will want...I imagine aside from the Clooneys and Oprah for charity purposes, Meghan will be leaving her Hollywood friends behind. Either that, or we will see a conflict between Harry and Meghan's team at Kensington and the staff at Buckingham emerge in the coming years.

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, T&M, P&C
There is a really good article in WaPo about Meghan's wedding dress. It analyzes its cuts, how it blends with the woman who wore it, etc. i can't post the link on ipad. I dont have access to a computer right now.

Vagabond

I doubt that it would have occurred to Meghan to do that!
Precisely, even though I have known brides whose "something borrowed" was the dress.

And it probably wouldn't have occurred to any women who weren't actresses to try to get a designer to lend them a dress for the occasion. It is not the done thing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information