Harvey Weinstein megaproducer and executive ousted over sexual harassment

Japanfan

“In today’s dystopian news: One of the most important feminist voices of our time shits on less powerful women to uphold the power of her powerful male friend,” wrote another.
https://twitter.com/BalticSa/status/952937766807011331
In interviews regarding 'The Handmaid's Tale', Margaret Atwood was reluctant to be labeled a feminist before clearly defining what feminism means. I was personally troubled by her position, which seemed overly academic/theoretical. However, I think she was aiming to not limit her audience for 'Handmaids Tale'

The professor in question is likely a friend or colleague of hers, given that he's a university creative writing professor and they both live in Toronto.

Last edited:

PeterG

Margaret Atwood's thoughts has apparently raised some backlash but I do believe she brings up some excellent points regarding what do we do from here now that we recognize how the legal system has not afforded many women justice so they are now choosing to by-pass it in some cases:

https://www.theguardian.com/books/2018/jan/15/margaret-atwood-feminist-backlash-metoo

I do think her critics also have a point about less powerful women not having access or recourse and thus the #metoo movement provided them with an avenue to seek justice that they could not before.

Thank you for the link. Again, I think Atwood is brilliant.

I don't understand the criticisms against her though. I can't imagine Atwood would want the professor in question to get a free pass or for the accusers not to have the opportunity to ensure he is held accountable for any wrongdoing he has committed. But if there is trial by social media instead of within the legal system, I fear that perhaps in time, things might "cool down" so to speak and those who have committed crimes but never went through the legal system might return to their work as they never served jail time.

If there is a backlash against the #metoo movement, some of he accused might become martyrs and those fed up with this movement might give these accused jobs or other positions of power...when where they should be is IN JAIL.

Coco

Rotating while Russian!

Japanfan

I don't recall any documented actions.... The one he "groped" he married and they did not complain...:D.

There's more than one by his own admission. You don't know that none complained. However, as shown by the Weinstein thread, people often don't listen or believe women who say they have been sexually harassed or assaulted.

And keep in mind the current news about Trump paying a woman to keep her mouth shut. I'm sure there have been more than one of those.

screech

Are there any honorable men left?
When I think honourable men in Hollywood, the first name that pops into my head is Tom Hanks. So as long as we don't hear his name...

This is completely disgusting though. So many people in powerful positions (allegedly) whether it's a conscious recognition or not, believe they have the right to so much more in so many different ways.

"God's" reaction to the Morgan Freeman news:
Not him! He was My favorite Me!
(By the way - this account is hilarious to follow on twitter)

Tinami Amori

There's more than one by his own admission. You don't know that none complained. However, as shown by the Weinstein thread, people often don't listen or believe women who say they have been sexually harassed or assaulted.

And keep in mind the current news about Trump paying a woman to keep her mouth shut. I'm sure there have been more than one of those.
Have you lost your mind, or trying to be an ass-hat liberal jerk to re-quote my post from Oct. 2017 and include irrelevant to "sexual harassment" allegations in a private affair between two consenting adults?

Why don't we talk about a more current situation that deals with SEXUAL HARASSMENT by the Holy Grail of Liberal Values - Morgan Freeman...... :D Advertisers are dropping him like hot cakes....
https://www.cnn.com/2018/05/24/entertainment/morgan-freeman-accusations/index.html
http://www.foxnews.com/entertainmen...transit-following-harassment-allegations.html
https://www.msn.com/en-us/movies/ce...exual-harassment-fallout-continues/ar-AAxLuLk

...Morgan Freeman has money... he should have paid the call-girls..... :D

VGThuy

One part that struck me was this:

“I rarely thought of it,” he said. “Just occasionally, if his name popped up,” or if a Star Trek reference came up with friends. “I’d say, ‘Oh, well, I’ve got a story for you!’ ” he recalled, laughing. “They go, ‘Really? What?’ I’d tell people, and they’d go, ‘Ew!’ ”

He explained, “He was 20 years older than me and short. And I wasn’t attracted to Asian men.” He added, “I was a hot, surfer, California boy type, that he probably could have only gotten had he bought, paid for or found someone just willing to ride on his coattails of fame.”

This is something a lot of Asian-American men feel like they have to deal with. It's very telling that he used the story as an entertaining anecdote for his other friends. Look at this old, short, Asian man daring to hit on my young, blonde, hot self. Isn't the idea simply hilarious?

just tuned in

ballettmaus

I never considered Morgan Freeman honorable. http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbi...ctim-sues-negligence-insists-Im-mistress.html

There was a long article about him a while back, I forget which publication, but it detailed his abuse of alcohol, marital strife, some other unsavory things....

Abuse of alcohol is not unsavory. It's an addiction and addiction is a disease.

As for the rest, I only ever knew about the Morgan Freeman who was in front of the camera. And that man seemed honorable. I guess, he was not.

just tuned in

Abuse of alcohol is not unsavory. It's an addiction and addiction is a disease.

As for the rest, I only ever knew about the Morgan Freeman who was in front of the camera. And that man seemed honorable. I guess, he was not.
It was not just his addiction to alcohol -- he was not a good guy, role as G-d notwithstanding

VGThuy

I remember reading years ago about Morgan Freeman's strange relationship with his step-granddaughter. It was only a matter of time.

I also wish people would stop trying to paint this as a basic right/left thing trying to count the number of men committing sexual assault/harassment to see which side is more virtuous or hypocritical or whatever. I mean that's not the point of this discussion unless one doesn't actually care about changing things so we can stop certain attitudes and behaviors and instead just wants to attack a certain political side, which I suspect is the case. Women who have been speaking out about rape culture and sexual assault and the objectification of women for years have been talking about how pervasive this sort of treatment towards women has been forever. The point is that it happens across cultures, political lines, age, etc. It's like racism or anything else...it doesn't matter what political side you identify with really because it's so much a part of our culture that it can't help but seep into our behavior so everybody is capable. The difference is who is trying to combat it and do better and who only wants to use it for political ammo or fight the very ideas that these things are going on?

Last edited:

Japanfan

Morgan Freeman was never hiding that he is a dirty old me…. :lol: he harassed and propositioned young women right in front of TV cameras..
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DRg0eXw3ZC0
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lu3ZC_8iBow
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pW8W2SCK1fw

Disgusting. I won't be watching The Shawshank Redemption again any time soon - disappointed about that, as I loved the movie.

Freeman does the voice over for VISA ads in Canada during the Olympics. I sure hope he is not invited to do so again in future, as I'm sure he gets an obscene amount of :bribe: for just a few minutes of his time.

Sylvia

TBD
^^^ Not just VISA... Vancouver Sun article: http://vancouversun.com/news/local-...eeman-facing-allegations-of-sexual-harassment
Call it walking into a propeller-blade, says one marketing expert describing TransLink’s slam with Hollywood news of harassment and inappropriate-behaviour allegations against Morgan Freeman.
Less than 24 hours after announcing that Freeman’s big-star voice would be cajoling TransLink passengers with “fun facts, etiquette reminders,” and new ways to pay fares, the transport authority scrambled early Thursday to halt the hype.
Down came an online poll asking the public to watch a YouTube video and vote for the best of around a dozen audio messages Freeman had taped for riders in Metro Vancouver.
Out came a short statement saying TransLink was pausing Freeman’s voice announcements as part of a Visa ad campaign on the transit system “in light of information we’ve learned through news stories … of serious allegations.”
The Freeman announcements were part of an ad campaign paid for by Visa Canada, and TransLink had said a day earlier it didn’t pay anything for the collaboration, nor pay or hire Freeman for the voice-overs.
On Thursday morning, TransLink spokeswoman Jill Drews reiterated that the authority was in discussions with Visa, saying “it’s Visa’s ad campaign so ultimately (Freeman’s) participation will be a question for them to answer.”
“To be clear, Visa bought space on our system to advertise their participation in the new open-payment program. The content they choose to provide us will be up to Visa … We are still working with Visa on this Tap to Pay campaign and that’s not changing.”

Tinami Amori

Disgusting.
It is disgusting, but no-one died, was hurt, or lost a job.... He looked like a clown behaving in such a way, and diminished himself, not the women journalists. He chose to appear in such image, he is an actor who for some reason wants a reputation of a dirty old man. It's not on women, it's on him... If a drunk in the alley starts insulting you, you smile and walk by.. His behavior is not a reason for a law suite, unless he got physical and was told to stop.

What bothers me is not that he was/is openly a dirty old man, but that he claimed to be on the side of progressive causes one of which is women's rights and equality. It's hypocricy that bothers me.

ballettmaus

It was not just his addiction to alcohol -- he was not a good guy, role as G-d notwithstanding

I got that. I only take issue with referring to an alcohol problem as unsavory because it's not (regardless of the fact that Freeman is a creep). That's all.

Last edited:

Aussie Willy

Hates both vegemite and peanut butter
I also wish people would stop trying to paint this as a basic right/left thing trying to count the number of men committing sexual assault/harassment to see which side is more virtuous or hypocritical or whatever. I mean that's not the point of this discussion unless one doesn't actually care about changing things so we can stop certain attitudes and behaviors and instead just wants to attack a certain political side, which I suspect is the case. Women who have been speaking out about rape culture and sexual assault and the objectification of women for years have been talking about how pervasive this sort of treatment towards women has been forever. The point is that it happens across cultures, political lines, age, etc. It's like racism or anything else...it doesn't matter what political side you identify with really because it's so much a part of our culture that it can't help but seep into our behavior so everybody is capable. The difference is who is trying to combat it and do better and who only wants to use it for political ammo or fight the very ideas that these things are going on?
This is spot on. I hear people if you say anything about Trump talk about Clinton. Or they will comment about that Weinstein hasn't been charged because of his support to the Democrats (well that has changed now). It shouldn't matter what side of politics, it is the behaviour that needs to be brought to account.

What is disturbing to hear Weinstein's lawyer say they are going to totally discredit those women whose situations are the basis for the charges. Not a good look. I know he has to represent his client, but not very sensitive given who the client is and the current environment around this.

Cachoo

I want to know how many people are at their jobs now hoping and praying that their wrongs stay under the radar. I think this is the tip of the iceberg. I've read of job situations where the entire culture is poisoned because upper management does not confront those supervisors who are behaving like Morgan and Harvey and getting away with it. I hope this movement changes that.

Tinami Amori

I also wish people would stop trying to paint this as a basic right/left thing trying to count the number of men committing sexual assault/harassment to see which side is more virtuous or hypocritical or whatever.
That's a fine thought, and i agree in principle. But! "Women's movement/rights" is one of the biggest platforms for Dems/Libs/Left, and has been and is actively used against Reps/Trump. All the "I am a nasty woman" speeches, all the accusations of Reps "white male supremacy holding women back", all prefs and attention given to a prostitute over the President, etc.. Libs/Left usurped "women rights" as a weapon against Reps/Conserv. and actively using it on daily basis. Clinton said pretty much that if a woman does not vote for a woman, then she is her husband's toy. Every lefty is yelling about "white men hindering women! forget merits! chose a woman for a job! girl power!".... So when one of them gets caught, it is hypocrisy in Big Letters!

... on another note, an interesting commentary from an african-american woman, on Morgan Freeman's situation and women who are complaining now have not done much to prevent the situation.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kx_zM6qk3fM

VGThuy

The only reason why it's like that was because it's been traditionally conservative men who have been most vocal about fighting against women's rights on the most basic level. However, with second wave and third wave feminism, it's always been looking at the complete picture. It's hard to talk about more nuanced takes on how women's progress was being undermined when you still have to fight for basic equal rights but people were still taking "lefty" and "liberal" men and women to task. They were just ignored in the grand scheme of things. Finally, with #metoo and #timesup, there's been more talk about the pervasiveness of female objectification and the treatment of women in the work place (after the fight for women in the work place won enough battles) but Hollywood is just one equation. It's just one many on the right who like to have Internet warfare like to talk about now because its convenient, but make no mistake it's not just Hollywood where this is going on. Every side has things everybody can point out and yell "hypocrite!" in loud bold letters, but other than that...what is it really proving or showing? Nothing really except proving a point that these are real problems that need to be dealt with. There's no political points to be scored unless you're simple minded.

Japanfan

"Women's movement/rights" is one of the biggest platforms for Dems/Libs/Left, and has been and is actively used against Reps/Trump. All the "I am a nasty woman" speeches, all the accusations of Reps "white male supremacy holding women back", all prefs and attention given to a prostitute over the President, etc..

Given that the left is more progressive than the right, it follows that its members would be concerned with women's rights and human rights. But it would be incorrect to say generally that the right is not at all concerned with women's rights/human rights. The right exists on a continuum, just as the left does.

Have you never heard of libertarian feminism?

https://www.libertarianism.org/columns/how-is-libertarian-feminism-different-other-feminisms

Clinton said pretty much that if a woman does not vote for a woman, then she is her husband's toy.
Could you provide a source for this claim please?

Every lefty is yelling about "white men hindering women! forget merits! chose a woman for a job! girl power!"....

No, every lefty is most certainly not yelling about that.

In terms of 'choosing a woman for a job' - well women do need to get chosen for jobs in order to have them. And when women do, they have to be qualified for the job. Woman have done remarkably well in terms of getting the training and education they need to qualify for professional and other positions. A woman doesn't become an astronaut or a physician or a STEM professional on the basis of gender.

Hilary put a lot of cracks in the highest and hardest of glass ceilings. Don't you think that matters?

Because of it, some young women will have been inspired to go into politics who might no otherwise have been.

Given that women are slightly more than half the population, shouldn't they be fairly represented in the political institutions that govern their lives?

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information