Harding Vs Wylie in the 1986 Skate America LP, who wins?

Harding Vs Wylie in the 1986 Skate America LP, who wins?

• Harding

Votes: 4 36.4%
  • Wylie

Votes: 7 63.6%

• Total voters

WillyElliot

Tanning one day, then wearing a winter coat today.
WOW!!!

Tonya was FIT!! It's strange when you now see skaters that in just one season they transform and I thought taking her just like that you could easily transform her to compete for the third Olympic spot the next season.. But Tonya's packaging was so unfortunate. It's suprising that she was so weak in that respect considering Diane was her coach and she seemed raher stylish (well, except for that Carol Channing wig she'd always wear...) But her jumps are WOW. It's interesting how she seemed to change the technique on some of her triples. That 3toe was amazing, as well as her lutz.

Before the first 30 seconds were over I already picked Paul as the winner in this poll. His program was pitch perfect. And then the jumps....uggh

I'd still put Paul over Tonya because his level of skating was just lightyears better than Tonya. Spins, footwork, glide aren't even comparable.

Last edited:

savchenkoboss

Banned Member
BTW, when I spoke to Tonya two weeks ago, she said this was the performance she wanted her fans to watch. Of course, I was already familiar with this program, but she described it as "the one with the blue dress. It looks blue on camera but it's actually purple."

and actually despite my saying Paul is artistically superior, this performance by Tonya was very artistic. She was definitely on the right path back then with very nice choreography, spins and spin positions, beautiful Ina Baeur and some great edges she held. She seemed to get off track when it came to artistry, especialy during the Teachman years which were her jumping peak but where she all but through the artistic focus out the window. Of course this approach still would have won her the 92 Olympics (with how Ito and Yamaguchi skated) had she just delivered what she could.

AxelAnnie

Like a small boat on the ocean...
Paul Wylie - 100%.
I thought Tonya skated better than I would have expected, or that I recall. She looked great, and had some fine moments. However she was blasting through that music. And, I am not a fan of how she holds her hands as she does cross overs.

Paul.................oh how we miss thee. He is gorgeous to watch. Each moment is utilized and important. And for Paul it is not just a competition, but a moment to remember.

BTW - Someone send this to Nathan-------STAT. He needs to see how it is done while being a student at an Ivy League!

Seerek

Despite the fact that Dmitri Shostakovich is utilized a lot for skating music (e.g. 'Lady and the Hooligan') to my knowledge, Tonya Harding is the only one to have used "Festive Overture" in a competitive program.

Vagabond

Despite the fact that Dmitri Shostakovich is utilized a lot for skating music (e.g. 'Lady and the Hooligan') to my knowledge, Tonya Harding is the only one to have used "Festive Overture" in a competitive program.
She also used music from Carmen. I would call it a wash. :shuffle:

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information