Gymnastics News #23: Defying Gravity

Status
Not open for further replies.

ilovesalchows

Anyone else watching night one of the senior men's competition? There's been some great gymnastics so far tonight. I feel like the entire Stanford team is there competing though which kind of makes it feel like a college meet, LOL :lol:
Me! I am really enjoying it. Lots of bright spots for the future. I want Khoi Young to point his toes. I am in no teknik so if I notice….

My problem is I get so attached to so many of them and the Olympic team is so small.

ilovesalchows

Also more on Khoi Young- he really reminds me of Gabby Douglas. Same look and I think he’s a gamer like she was (is?). He has a flair about him that makes skills look easy. Although maybe his D score is easier. At any rate I think he will score well internationally.

HeatherC

Searching for Sanity
If he does what I saw him do in Chicago at the Classic, Khoi Young on PH is awesome! :cheer:

UGH, that stupid dismount!! :eek:

Jayar

Khoi Young was so much fun to watch-- his mom and dad were next to us and dad was fine but mom was a wreck. At the end of is pommel routine, she lept to her feet and screamed so loud.

Asher's parents were behind us and rhe cameras focused on them blocked our view most of his routines.

Donnell Whittenberg ❤️❤️❤️ I am a fan.

There was a really tall guy from U of Arizona who was so extra and his tumbling was so big. He had the flair of a figure skater.

Summary-- it was so chaotic. So many things happening. I didn't know where to look.

Garden Kitty

Tranquillo
Summary-- it was so chaotic. So many things happening. I didn't know where to look.
I've only gone to Nationals once, and I was stunned by all the activity happening at the same time. TV broadcasts don't give any idea how chaotic it can be. It's amazing that athletes can do an event like balance beam that requires such intense concentration while another athlete's floor music is blaring and the crowd erupts into cheers or groans of sympathy at random times for some other athlete.

sk9tingfan

I've only gone to Nationals once, and I was stunned by all the activity happening at the same time. TV broadcasts don't give any idea how chaotic it can be. It's amazing that athletes can do an event like balance beam that requires such intense concentration while another athlete's floor music is blaring and the crowd erupts into cheers or groans of sympathy at random times for some other athlete.
Yes. I went to Nationals in 2011 and could not believe the noise and activity level. It was really disturbing after the silence of its skating equivalent. And I got to sit in the most disturbing place; right in front of the balance beam

Kathryn2001

I just watched the Junior Women in San Jose (on YouTube live) but dang, at the end, they didn't post the winners.
Does anyone have the top 3 or 4 from Day 1 for Junior Women?

VGThuy

Shannon Miller has been out a long while. Did you mean Malone?
I’m always up for talking about Shannon Miller though, ;). Obviously not in this thread as actual new gymnastics is going on, but those who are game can call the Shannon-centric thread, “Miller Time”. :40beers:

her grace

Team Guignard/Fabbri
It takes a few gym meets to get the hang of it as a spectator. Having the event start lists is super helpful, and it helps to prioritize ahead of time which gymnast’s events are a can’t miss. Of course, you will miss some things, like I heard the roar of the crowd for Moroney’s vault at 2009 jr nationals, looked up to see her huge SV, and realized I’d missed seeing an Amanar (which was very uncommon at that time). :duh:

Coco

Rotating while Russian!
Since there is so much noise there should be an announcer announcing who is up next, like Maroney on vault.

skatfan

Well, I tried to sign up for Premium Peacock twice in the past hour and got errors both time, so I am watching the USAG channel with a VPN. I did try to do it the right way!

edited to add: finally got in. New commentators for NBC are pretty good!

Last edited:

Theatregirl1122

Needs a nap
I watched the men, but I did it this morning because I was so tired last night! The US men are fun to watch, but I think the big goal for them is going to be qualifying.

sk9tingfan

Since I am a Comcast Diamond member(all lines of business, > 25 years), luckily, I get Peacock for free. Simone is blowing it out of the water! Through balance beam and floor exercise. Ahead by 1.2 points. Shilese Jones with a bars score of 14.9 and is tied with Simone!

Last edited:

mtnskater

Day 1 that vault from Simone…just wow!!! So cool!

I’m nuts about Shilese Jones. What a lovely, beautiful stylist. Great lines and athleticism combined. My favorite type of gymnastics. Sure hope she’ll be on the World and Olympic team and stays injury free.

Shocked by how bad Jade looked and competed. I really liked her at the last Olympics, but boy her posture was really bugging me. Yikes!

Wish NBC would have shown more of Kaliya Lincoln. She finished quite high with so little coverage from NBC.

What happened to Nastia?? Gymnastics is so lucky to have nabbed Terry Gannon.

alexikeguchi

I’m nuts about Shilese Jones. What a lovely, beautiful stylist. Great lines and athleticism combined. My favorite type of gymnastics. Sure hope she’ll be on the World and Olympic team and stays injury free.
Wish NBC would have shown more of Kaliya Lincoln. She finished quite high with so little coverage from NBC.
Yes and yes. I had heard Shi's name but hadn't seen any of her performances until I attended the 2021 national championships prior to Olympic team selection. She had some major breaks on floor and beam but glorious bars, and I was completely struck by her gorgeous carriage and elegance even if not all routines were her best. She also did a 2/1.5 tuck that I believe could be named after her, and I hope she puts it back in at some point.

I had to look up Kaliya Lincoln's performances on Youtube after she posted such good scores, and she is excellent. If night 2 goes like night 1, I personally would consider her strongly for the Worlds team.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information