Gymnastics News #23: Defying Gravity

Status
Not open for further replies.

Theatregirl1122

Needs a nap
DANG! Kelli Hill is STILL coaching!

It's interesting because Kayla was going to leave elite and Kelli was going to retire when she did. Like Kayla didn't even compete for the world team in 2022. But now she's decided to take a year off and it looks like Kelli came back with her.

Theatregirl1122

Needs a nap
I feel like NBC is trying to forget Skye Blakley exists. They just showed the standings without her at the end of the rotation even though she's in second. They have skipped routines from her that scored over 14...

her grace

Team Guignard/Fabbri
I’ve noticed since leaving the Marta days - there’s been A LOT more sloppy hair buns. You’d think it would be distracting to not having you hair REALLY secure in whatever style it’s in.
A-Sac had a lot going on with her hairstyle back in the day so I could see her not making hairstyle requirements a big part of her leadership.

As long as the hair is secured and not a safety-risk, it’s fine.

honey

Watching the awards on the stream. I find it kind of :lol: that they all do the salute like they just stuck the landing on the podium. I thought that was just a thing little kids did in gymnastics. Guess not.

danafan

Canadian ladies über
I feel like NBC is trying to forget Skye Blakley exists. They just showed the standings without her at the end of the rotation even though she's in second.
I noticed this too, but is it because she was not on the start list to do the AA? She didn't do floor.

danafan

Canadian ladies über
The other Olympians didn’t do the all around and weren’t ignored
No, I wasn't referring to being shown or not. But merely commenting on her name not being shown in the AA standings after two rotations as she was not entered in the AA competition.

skatfan

No, I wasn't referring to being shown or not. But merely commenting on her name not being shown in the AA standings after two rotations as she was not entered in the AA competition.
Ah I misunderstood.

floskate

Vacant
Just catching up as the timezone meant it started at 1am over here. That was some comeback from Biles!! I listened to the interviews she gave after the meet and she sounds so much more evolved now and in a much better place mentally, just taking all this one day at a time.

Coco

Rotating while Russian!
Watching the awards on the stream. I find it kind of :lol: that they all do the salute like they just stuck the landing on the podium. I thought that was just a thing little kids did in gymnastics. Guess not.
This sport still has a lot of aspects that are a bit enfantalizing, imo.

just tuned in

I feel like athletes of many sports do sort of a salute and wave when they receive their medals. In gymnastics, you are also saluting the judges. I don't think it is infantizing.

@floskate, Simone's interview was amazing. She never ceases to impress.

Theatregirl1122

Needs a nap
I noticed this too, but is it because she was not on the start list to do the AA? She didn't do floor.

Yeah, they were only showing AA standings but never explained that. So that's why she wasn't listed in the standings, but the fact that they fully ignored her excellent performance is inexcusable. Kaliya Lincoln also posted two scores over 14, and I don't remember seeing her.

skatfan

Yeah, they were only showing AA standings but never explained that. So that's why she wasn't listed in the standings, but the fact that they fully ignored her excellent performance is inexcusable. Kaliya Lincoln also posted two scores over 14, and I don't remember seeing her.
The coverage on the international feed was quite good and showed Kaliya at least a couple of times.

FiveRinger

Do you think it might have been an issue with time? There were so many competitive gymnasts in Session 2 that had to be covered that there wasn't enough time to do it all in a live event. Had it been recorded they could have done some replays and added more gymnasts. Or maybe, if someone is thinking, they could post those performances on YouTube. But with it being live, of course they were going to give the bulk of the time to Simone, Suni, etc. I can't even complain about the amount of commercials because they weren't that many, but they could have cut the Google commercials from Barbieland for more Skye coverage, as far as I'm concerned.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information