Gymnastics News #23: Defying Gravity

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hedwig

Antique member
Randomly came across a live feed for US Classic podium training- Simone has definitely been training for a while, she didn't look rusty at all, but different skill selections and easing off the twisting. Bars dismount with a full in, beam she now starts with a switch leap-switch half-back pike mount and full in dismount. Floor she warmed up full twisting double layout, Biles I, double layout and what looked like front full step out to double-double but the light was bad so not sure on that. Vault she did three Yurchenko double pikes, one slightly under, one way overrotated and the third also overrotated but she managed to stand it up. New FX music is an instrumental of Unicorn which was Israel's Eurovision entry this year. But still edited to end with her "oooh" trademark. Still better than a lot of the FX she's had in the past. Looking forward to tomorrows competition.
Oh post the link here next time 😀

sk9tingfan

What I don't understand is how NBC is televising the men's competition tomorrow, yet relegating the women's competition to a more minor channel, CNBC?

Theatregirl1122

Needs a nap
What I don't understand is how NBC is televising the men's competition tomorrow, yet relegating the women's competition to a more minor channel, CNBC?

The men aren't on NBC. They're on youtube. The women are on CNBC and peacock (and youtube for those not in the US). The men are just on youtube for everyone, but Sunday also has an NBC recap of the women.

skatfan

And the stream is available on the USA Gymnastics YouTube channel with a VPN set to outside the US

ilovepaydays

The men aren't on NBC. They're on youtube. The women are on CNBC and peacock (and youtube for those not in the US). The men are just on youtube for everyone, but Sunday also has an NBC recap of the women.

A LOT of Olympic sports competitions that used to be on NBC because they were that popular are now being moved to Peacock and CNBC. Pretty much the entire U.S. Track & Field Nationals and Swimming & Diving World Championships were aired on CNBC last month. 🫤

ilovepaydays

And….we’re off on CNBC! 😁

WAIT. It’s Terry Gannon…..and….Sam Peszek?? Where’s Nastia and Tim??

And John Roethlisberger on the side - well, that’s an improvement over Andrea Joyce.

honey

For all USAG’s problems, I will say they are at least much farther along in promoting their sport than USFS is. Of course it helps that they’ve been dominating for nearly 20 years, but they have an easily accessible international stream for Classic (and I assume they will do the same for nationals). They’ve already posted the entire NBC broadcast of the afternoon session to YouTube as well.

caseyedwards

For all USAG’s problems, I will say they are at least much farther along in promoting their sport than USFS is. Of course it helps that they’ve been dominating for nearly 20 years, but they have an easily accessible international stream for Classic (and I assume they will do the same for nationals). They’ve already posted the entire NBC broadcast of the afternoon session to YouTube as well.
At this point longer than Russia dominated rhythmic

ilovepaydays

Not a fan of the white & black WCC leotards. So far, I think Suni’s lilac/grey/black leotard is the prettiest.

Not sure what I think about Leanne’s bow hair tie business, except at some point she’ll probably need to contract the assembly out……….

honey

Not a fan of the white & black WCC leotards. So far, I think Suni’s lilac/grey/black leotard is the prettiest.

Not sure what I think about Leanne’s bow hair tie business, except at some point she’ll probably need to contract the assembly out……….
I think I read that her mom is the one making them now.

ilovepaydays

Ok, can we please stop with the sloppy hair buns? I love Simone, but her hair is a hot mess, like she just rolled out of bed. Ponytail, braid down to the ends, coil and pin it, and blast it with hair spray.

I’ve noticed since leaving the Marta days - there’s been A LOT more sloppy hair buns. You’d think it would be distracting to not having you hair REALLY secure in whatever style it’s in.

Rukia

A Southern, hot-blooded temperamental individual
I've found it really wonderful that these athletes are being allowed to be human. So much discussion about Simone going to therapy sure, but also getting to see Suni get to take a moment to be emotional after beam and have support there was awesome.

Also I literally do not care what their hair looks like. Whatever is comfortable for them is what they should do. This isn't a fashion show. They are athletes.

skatfan

And she just nailed the beam routine. Now to her strongest events.
She’s not doing floor as I recall. Hope to see the yurchenko double pike on vault!

EDITED TO ADD: I was wrong and it was very good!

Last edited:

Theatregirl1122

Needs a nap
She’s not doing floor as I recall. Hope to see the yurchenko double pike on vault!

Simone was listed for the AA on the start list, so unless she scratches, she has it next rotation.

Suni was listed for everything but floor, Jade for just bars and beam and she scratched bars, Jordan also just bars and beam.

Suni looked great on beam! I was so impressed with her! I hope she can keep improving and her health keeps improving.

Skye Blakley's scores are really holding up.

ilovepaydays

DANG! Kelli Hill is STILL coaching!

Not a fan of the “artistry deductions” for floor - especially when the insane amount of tumbling passes and acrobatics they already have to do. At least make the men also perform to music - you’d think some of these guys wouldn’t pick some rock or metal jams to perform to?

skatfan

DANG! Kelli Hill is STILL coaching!

Not a fan of the “artistry deductions” for floor - especially when the insane amount of tumbling passes and acrobatics they already have to do. At least make the men also perform to music - you’d think some of these guys wouldn’t pick some rock or metal jams to perform to?
Let’s improve the men - it’s basically just tumbling now, but the artistry deductions have really pushed the women in good ways imo.Q

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information