Gymnastics News #23: Defying Gravity

Status
Not open for further replies.

millyskate

Amelie Morgan has signed with Utah (previously she’d committed to California). Better team, less sunshine…

Karen-W

Checking Senior Bs for TES mins...
I am naive, how does one back out of a commitment?
Commitments are only verbal until you sign the actual Letter of Intent to play sports at any particular college or university. Signing Day is big in some sports (football and basketball in particular) and there are limitations on how much recruiting can be done by the coaches as well as athlete visits to the schools. Sounds like Morgan never signed a LOI for Cal.

skatfan

Commitments are only verbal until you sign the actual Letter of Intent to play sports at any particular college or university. Signing Day is big in some sports (football and basketball in particular) and there are limitations on how much recruiting can be done by the coaches as well as athlete visits to the schools. Sounds like Morgan never signed a LOI for Cal.
It seems like some gymnasts commit orally to get other programs to stop recruiting them so hard.

Coco

Rotating while Russian!
Cal has much more stringent academic requirements while Utah is a bit more, um, welcoming.

xxibjt

I don't know if Rhythmic Gymnastics has its own thread or not but apparently Arina and Dina wanted to retire after the Olympics to study Economics at University and Irina did not take kindly to that.

Coco

Rotating while Russian!
What are the odds that Simone's tour actually happens? The target audience is mostly too young to vaccinate.

love_skate2011

Banned Member
They are done, Dina and Arina look plump and arent training
Its good they are going University pursuing their studies, their sister is also an economist graduate and their dad has business in Dubai.

Viner should move on and send Lala and maybe Trubnikova this Worlds.

AxelAnnie

Like a small boat on the ocean...
I lost any respect I had (just about) when Simone showed up at the Met Gala in that horribly, ugly and ridiculous outfit.

AxelAnnie

Like a small boat on the ocean...
I guess I am more interested in her brave testimony in Congress today to hold the FBI, USOPC AND USA gymnastics accountable for enabling a sexual predator and abusive coaches.

The two things are incongruous.

MsZem

I see the sea
I lost any respect I had (just about) when Simone showed up at the Met Gala in that horribly, ugly and ridiculous outfit.
Oh no, how will Simone go on after such a tough blow.

That this is what you felt compelled to post after yesterday's testimony is just sad. The courage that Simone Biles, McKayla Maroney, Aly Raisman and Maggie Nichols displayed is incredible and inspiring. They deserve our respect and our gratitude for reliving their trauma in order to effect change and help others.

millyskate

The point of the met gala is to wear outrageous costumes. None of the attendees dream up their costumes by themselves.
The way the gala works is that people (often designers) buy a table at a stupid price and invite celebrities to make up their table (paying 30K a head). The celebrities have to wear their designs if they want to attend the gala. These designs are intentionally outrageous to get press coverage.

Back to gymnastics - Chuso has been posting regular training updates on her facebook. She certainly does not look like she's retiring or slowing down. The latest post was a full UB routine...

Rob

Beach Bum
The point of the met gala is to wear outrageous costumes. None of the attendees dream up their costumes by themselves.
The way the gala works is that people (often designers) buy a table at a stupid price and invite celebrities to make up their table (paying 30K a head). The celebrities have to wear their designs if they want to attend the gala. These designs are intentionally outrageous to get press coverage.
Correct, it is avant garde costume institute fashion. And the trend this year was sheer to the point of nakedness which Simone did not participate in.

So impressed by these young women. My take away after reading the DOJ report and seeing the testimony was that the FBI investigator did not believe McKayla - and I hate to think how many times this sort of thing has happened, especially in the pre-Me Too era. And the FBI field office leader was more interested in getting a job in the Olympic movement. Complete conflict of interest on his part. In 2015, FBI leadership (Comey) was too interested in Hillary Clinton's emails to take notice of what they considered to be a small field office matter. But IT WAS MINORS! What the heck - I am just astonished about the complete lack of communication between Indy, Detroit, LA when we are talking about child sexual abuse. 120+ young women abused after this was reported. And local law enforcement turned out to be more effective than the FBI after new cases were reported. With allegations made by children, local law enforcement can eliminate access prior to investigation. I refuse to believe FBI has never considered this when the allegations are clear that the abuse crossed state lines and even into international territory. I also understand that FBI agents are not normally fired - they are allowed to quit or retire, but come on - they just fired the investigator a few weeks ago.

canbelto

Really @AxelAnnie? The way out of your heart is to wear a costume dress for a fashion gala? :rolleyes:
Maybe you should listen to Simones testimony yesterday. Or watch her routines.

Or if you're determined not to respect her, then just don't watch her.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information