Gymnastic news #22 - Tokyo or bust

Status
Not open for further replies.

honey

Did anyone else listen to the podcast “Blind Landing” about the Sydney vault fiasco? The first three episodes were nothing I hadn’t really heard before, but four and five had some pretty :eek: statements.

https://podcasts.apple.com/ca/podcast/blind-landing/id1574215081

Maria Olaru says the vault was too low at podium training and that it had to be raised up then as well. While none of her teammates responded to questions to corroborate her account, I do remember Amanar having made comments elsewhere previously sort of saying the same thing. Amanar said something like every day it was too low and that their coaches told them they were imagining it. Does anyone else remember that?

In episode 5, Lisa Mason (who vaulted in the first rotation), said she told her coach it was too low during the vault warm up. He dismissed her and didn’t try to get anyone to check the height. Imagine how different that whole night may have gone if someone had just listened to her.

The series is pretty quick to get through and I recommend a listen!

ryanj07

Artur has actually been doing floor and vault routines in podium training when it was previously reported that he wouldn’t perform those events. I know Russia wants gold but I’m soooo scared for him…. hoping it all goes well for him.

Sylvia

TBD
I only caught a little bit of PH during US Men's podium training this morning.
For those in the U.S. who can stream NBC, link to watch the replay (~2.5 hours): https://stream.nbcolympics.com/gymnastics-mens-podium-training

U.S. Women's podium training is scheduled to be streamed live by NBC starting at 2:10 am Eastern time (July 22) - eta link: https://stream.nbcolympics.com/gymnastics-womens-podium-training

Do regulars in this thread want to have a thread dedicated to Gymnastics in the Olympics forum? Separate competition threads for Men (NBC's streaming coverage starts on Thursday 7/23 at 9 pm Eastern) and Women or combined?

Last edited:

Hedwig

Antique member
For those in the U.S. who can stream NBC, link to watch the replay (~2.5 hours): https://stream.nbcolympics.com/gymnastics-mens-podium-training

U.S. Women's podium training is scheduled to be streamed live by NBC starting at 2:10 am Eastern time (July 22).

Do regulars in this thread want to have a thread dedicated to Gymnastics in the Olympics forum? Separate competition threads for Men (NBC's streaming coverage starts on Thursday 7/23 at 9 pm Eastern) and Women or combined?
Definitely. I would say separate threads. I - for instance - am not interested in the men at all.

Doggygirl

Banned Member
OMG. Just read this about team GB's alternates being credentialed as coaches, and training along side the main team. What is wrong with these people??? Perhaps the Downies are relieved to not be part of team cra cra....

The British men’s and women’s program had their alternates credentialed as coaches (eek!). They have been practicing with the team. On the equipment. And there are videos posted. It was reported today to the IOC. Understandably so, the divide between the alternate and the team members is and always will be a talking point. But especially at these Olympics, and especially in this pandemic year. Our thoughts are with the athletes, that they will get a chance to compete still and not be punished for decisions that the NGB made.

source article: https://www.insidegymnastics.com/news-features/menspodiumtraining2/

bardtoob

US MAG podium training ... The reigning US AA Champion, whoever he is, looks like he had an accident in his pants but it's probably just a lot of 4$$ sweat.

ETA: Way better after he changed to shorts.

Last edited:

HeatherC

Searching for Sanity
Does anyone who watched more of the MAG podium training than me know what was going on with the vaulting springboard? I only watched the US men this morning but it sounds like a whole bunch of teams were having all sorts of trouble figuring out how to hit it just right so they would land on their feet once they did their vault. The US guys eventually figured out something but it seemed scary to me. :eek:

dramagrrl

Where can I find a list of which teams are competing in which subdivisions during both men's and women's team qualifications?

Braulio

Tuning up my Body of Work
The american girls looked very strong during podium training, Simone went for the Yurchenko Double Pike and threw her big skills on floor and balance beam, solid routines!

Sunisa Lee superb Uneven Bars set, she hit 'em!

McCallum ok, Chiles also good showing. Jade and Mykayla did all four events, Skinner had some troubles with balance beam

USA looks strong and Simone is poised for more gold

Last edited:

Braulio

Tuning up my Body of Work

skatfan

The american girls looked very strong during podium training, Simone went for the Yurchenko Double Pike and threw her big skills on floor and balance beam, solid routines!

Sunisa Lee superb Uneven Bars set, she hit 'em!

McCallum ok, Chiles also good showing. Jade and Mykayla did all four events, Skinner had some troubles with balance beam

USA looks strong and Simone is poised for more gold

The team is looking so good. Just hope they remain COVID free.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information