Gymnastic news #22 - Tokyo or bust

Status
Not open for further replies.

just tuned in

Brody Malone's HB routine made my toes curl.

I really do not understand the choice of Sam for the team. Firstly, he is a headcase. Secondly, he has that bone chip in his elbow that could incapacitate him at any time, and it is my understanding that if he competes in prelims, he cannot be subbed with an alternate for finals. I know that a computer made this selection. Sam's FX is .5 better than Wiskus', and his HB is 2 points better than Yul's. There is no other athlete to take that brings 2.5 points. But Yoder has potential to bring an additional 2.0, and frankly, I, with my human brain, would value a certain 2 points over an iffy 2.5. I would have put Yoder on the team.

Rob

Beach Bum
To my eye, she gets really sloppy when throwing the harder stuff, particularly her back, knees, and toe point. I had hoped that NCAA might help as she seemed to clean things up in the college meets.
Her form was better in NCAA with less difficult routines. All her flaws came back when she started chucking the hard stuff. The lack of a 180 degree split, bent knees, loose legs, no toe point (but Not unique in that regard). Still, I think she would stay on the apparatus, and that is probably all we need. I’d prefer McCallum, DiCello, Wong but I’m afraid of falls with DiCello and Wong.

OlieRow

Her form was better in NCAA with less difficult routines. All her flaws came back when she started chucking the hard stuff. The lack of a 180 degree split, bent knees, loose legs, no toe point (but Not unique in that regard). Still, I think she would stay on the apparatus, and that is probably all we need. I’d prefer McCallum, DiCello, Wong but I’m afraid of falls with DiCello and Wong.

DiCello and Wong have been pretty reliable on VT/FX though and that's where they'd be called upon in TF's.

her grace

Team Guignard/Fabbri
Does Biles want to do bars in team finals? If she doesn’t, then DiCello would have an advantage because her bars are pretty decent and she can also do fx and vt.

pachelbel

Brody Malone's HB routine made my toes curl.

I really do not understand the choice of Sam for the team. Firstly, he is a headcase. Secondly, he has that bone chip in his elbow that could incapacitate him at any time, and it is my understanding that if he competes in prelims, he cannot be subbed with an alternate for finals. I know that a computer made this selection. Sam's FX is .5 better than Wiskus', and his HB is 2 points better than Yul's. There is no other athlete to take that brings 2.5 points. But Yoder has potential to bring an additional 2.0, and frankly, I, with my human brain, would value a certain 2 points over an iffy 2.5. I would have put Yoder on the team.

Anyone with half a human brain would put an athlete with a full all-around arsenal (as wonky as it may be) with medal shots at 2 individual events over an athlete with not only just one medal opportunity, but just one event he competes. Say one person on the team gets injured and Sam has to do PBs. He competes and does his trials day 1 routine and gets an 11. Pretty bad!

But if Yoder were on the team, he would literally put up a 0 because he doesn't train that event at all. There's a reason all-around standings are being emphasized this time around more than ever and I'm not sure why you completely neglected that aspect with a team size so small that cannot afford a single person who doesn't do every event.

I could have seen a valid argument it you spoke about Briones instead of Yoder but alas. Not to mention that Yoder's day 2 routine wouldn't have qualified him for the final at 2019 Worlds. He didn't fall, but it was not a good routine; and you could see it in his face after the score came up, his spot as the +1 was not a done deal.

just tuned in

@pachelbel Your arguments for Mikulak and Briones both make sense. My argument for Yoder assumes no injuries for any of the top three guys. Even so, I guess that Mikulak with a fall on HB outscores a clean HB from Yul.

Karina1974

Compared to what we get for figure skating Daggett is great. Since somebody at NBC seems to be deathly in love with the sideshow act if they dumped him they probably put in Johnny and Tara there because they need something to do in the summer.l
NBC’s standards are pathetic
ITA!!!

I've been immersing myself in YouTube the last few weekends, binge watching old footage from past Olympics, from 1980 to 1992. What I wouldn't give for a return to the professionalism of someone like Dick Button and his tuxedos!

Jayar

I can only find the broadcast from 8-11 Pacific. Does anybody know where and when I can watch live? I have all of the NBC channels-- the US Gym site tells me nothing-- not even when the competition starts.

Karen-W

How long do we have to wait for GP assignments?
I can only find the broadcast from 8-11 Pacific. Does anybody know where and when I can watch live? I have all of the NBC channels-- the US Gym site tells me nothing-- not even when the competition starts.

I was able to find the live stream for the broadcast on the NBC Olympics app every day this week, in addition to the live streams.

skatingfan5

Past Prancer's Corridor
Probably as crud insurance. From what I’m hearing, a lot of the athletes haven’t gotten vaccinated for fear that side effects would interrupt their training.
I hope this isn’t correct about them not being vaccinated as that sounds like a recipe for an outbreak — especially with the Delta variant circulating widely. :( I heard on the news that about 80% of the athletes going to Tokyo would have been vaccinated.

tony

Throwing the (rule)book at them
Does anyone really see any other option besides Skinner as the fourth member of the team? Biles and Lee are locks, Chiles should be a lock, and the strength of Skinner's vault alone (14.9, 15.0, 15.133 in three tries) should be the boost they need. No need for anyone in bars or beam as the other three carry huge scores, and Skinner can also potentially add to the floor. I think if she hits vault again tonight, it's really a done deal.

Give McCusker the other individual spot and call it a day.

pachelbel

Does anyone really see any other option besides Skinner as the fourth member of the team? Biles and Lee are locks, Chiles should be a lock, and the strength of Skinner's vault alone (14.9, 15.0, 15.133 in three tries) should be the boost they need. No need for anyone in bars or beam as the other three carry huge scores, and Skinner can also potentially add to the floor. I think if she hits vault again tonight, it's really a done deal.

Give McCusker the other individual spot and call it a day.

McCallum and DiCello are really the only other contenders for the team. I would probably just take whoever else makes the top 4 because the scores are so close. I think Mykayla adds the most using day 1 scores but day 2 could change things. I would personally take her because it makes the most mathematical sense and vault is probably the most consistent event and not as mercurial as the others. But she needs to hit.

Quite honestly, I don't really care who makes it, I'm just excited that tonight actually has huge stakes in terms of hitting for those on the cusp. It's not like in previous years where we know exactly what team to expect.

But the general consensus seems to be that this is the team:
  • Biles
  • Chiles
  • S. Lee
  • TBD depending on tonight

Individual spots:
  • Carey
  • McCusker

Carolla5501

Has Nastia caused a satin shortage somewhere in the world????
Let’s hope not. Johnny needs some for his wardrobe
I hope this isn’t correct about them not being vaccinated as that sounds like a recipe for an outbreak — especially with the Delta variant circulating widely. :( I heard on the news that about 80% of the athletes going to Tokyo would have been vaccinated.
Honestly if they have not gotten the vaccine because they’re afraid of it they’re not being responsible

The vaccine might knock them off of training for 48 hours max. Getting Covid puts them out of the Olympics.

And I hope that they were also consider the impact on their families. Simone’s family members are older. Covid is more deadly to those family members. Lee’s father is definitely at risk simply because of the impact of having a spinal cord injury. She gives him Covid that could be really bad. (Depending on where his break has impacted.)

canbelto

Honestly if they have not gotten the vaccine because they’re afraid of it they’re not being responsible

The vaccine might knock them off of training for 48 hours max. Getting ********* puts them out of the Olympics.

And I hope that they were also consider the impact on their families. Simone’s family members are older. ********* is more deadly to those family members. Lee’s father is definitely at risk simply because of the impact of having a spinal cord injury. She gives him ********* that could be really bad. (Depending on where his break has impacted.)

This is something I've noticed -- most elite gymnasts were raised very conservatively and are usually extremely religious too. Those are the two groups most vaccine resistant so it makes sense that many gymnasts are vaccine resistant as well.

Rukia

A Southern, hot-blooded temperamental individual

The vaccine might knock them off of training for 48 hours max. Getting ********* puts them out of the Olympics.

And I hope that they were also consider the impact on their families. Simone’s family members are older. ********* is more deadly to those family members. Lee’s father is definitely at risk simply because of the impact of having a spinal cord injury. She gives him ********* that could be really bad. (Depending on where his break has impacted.)
Simone spoke earlier in the year about wanting to get vaccinated as soon as she could, so she most likely already is. I know in the interviews with Yul yesterday he said that what he would do to protect himself at the Olympics (besides the vaccine) would be to wear a mask and stay in his room a lot. So it's unclear if he's already vaccinated or is going to get it now? And Brody Malone spoke about getting vaccinated after he won nationals (so he definitely wasn't then...idk about now).

I imagine they'll all be getting questions about it now though. Haha.

Aceon6

Wrangling the duvet into the cover
Most athletes at least in the US have been. Professional leagues like the NBA and MLB are vaccinated.
Not really. Looking at the data, it’s quite spotty. I read one anonymous account from a potential Olympic competitor saying he waited for his first shot until he had a no competition period and won’t get the 2nd until trials are over. As for MLB, some teams are fully vaxxed, others not even close.

canbelto

Not really. Looking at the data, it’s quite spotty. I read one anonymous account from a potential Olympic competitor saying he waited for his first shot until he had a no competition period and won’t get the 2nd until trials are over. As for MLB, some teams are fully vaxxed, others not even close.

All 32 NFL teams have reached the "over 85%" threshold.

Doggygirl

Banned Member
Going back a few pages to the topic of athlete food at the US trials. I'm watching MyKayla Skinner's vlog from Day 1 of women's trials. After the competition, THERE WAS NO FOOD FOR THE ATHLETES!!! And the hotel restaurant was closed, and the restaurants near the hotel were either closed or had 2 hour waits. Unbelievalble.

Mykayla & Co. got in line for takeout at a place near the hotel. When she got to a few more people in front of her, the restaurant person said they were closing and not taking any more orders!! Some of the people in front of her were gymnastics people, and begged the manager to please feed athlete Mykayla. In the end, she got food. I hope all the women who were hungry after an intense night of competition were able to find food. She is showing a good attitude about it, but I'm not.

I wonder if Marta is the one catering this event????????? (not even funny...)

It's part of this vlog... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i-riiF8JCHQ

her grace

Team Guignard/Fabbri
Does anyone really see any other option besides Skinner as the fourth member of the team?
Tom hasn’t acted strategically yet in team selection so if someone other than Skinner places 4th, I’d say they have a realistic shot of being chosen.

FiveRinger

Going back a few pages to the topic of athlete food at the US trials. I'm watching MyKayla Skinner's vlog from Day 1 of women's trials. After the competition, THERE WAS NO FOOD FOR THE ATHLETES!!! And the hotel restaurant was closed, and the restaurants near the hotel were either closed or had 2 hour waits. Unbelievalble.

Mykayla & Co. got in line for takeout at a place near the hotel. When she got to a few more people in front of her, the restaurant person said they were closing and not taking any more orders!! Some of the people in front of her were gymnastics people, and begged the manager to please feed athlete Mykayla. In the end, she got food. I hope all the women who were hungry after an intense night of competition were able to find food. She is showing a good attitude about it, but I'm not.

I wonder if Marta is the one catering this event????????? (not even funny...)

It's part of this vlog... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i-riiF8JCHQ
Well that's just piss poor planning. Who's running this sh*t?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information