Gymnastic news #22 - Tokyo or bust

Status
Not open for further replies.

skatfan

Biles, Lee and Chiles for the team. #4-7 tonight are within a point of each other. It's gonna be hard (and not that important) to choose the 4th member.

dramagrrl

I do not want Skinner on the team and I'm not a McCallum fan, either, so I guess I have to cheer for DiCello to have a spectacular night 2, or for Wong to make a huge comeback.

just tuned in

From the shallow end of the pool... so glad that Chile's eye makeup looks normal.

Laurie Hernandez has a great commentator voice. l am ready for her to replace Nastia right now. BTW, did any of you see the Trulicity commercial featuring Laurie and her dad? It was bizarre. Her dad is diabetic, apparently, but the fine print in the commercial stated that he does not take Trulicity.

ETA: I wonder if the judges are low-balling Carey.

VGThuy

I think if Wong hits beam on day 2 and scores what she potentially should score with a hit routine, she’ll be on the team. She beat MyKayla Skinner on bars and floor and had a freak beam performance. She needs to hit on day 2 though.

just tuned in

Here are Carey's scores on events other than vault:

Bars 11.300 (17)
Beam 13.266 (10)
Floor 13.133 (13)

So low. 13th on floor?

Grace was 2nd in floor with 14.166

Skinner had "the meet of her life" and was still only in 4th place in the AA. She did not score higher than 5th in any event (except maybe vault).

Rob

Beach Bum
Last year, I wanted Biles, Lee, Hurd, Wong, but I’d have been happy with McCallum especially since Wong didn’t make a worlds. Chiles is undeniable, Hurd is gone. I think McCallum is more consistent than Wong. I just can’t deal with Skinners form, but she can chuck some and stay on. I like DiCello too. Not sure she or Malabuyo has the consistency.

4rkidz

plotting, planning and travelling
Come on people. Do you seriously think this isn't the Simone Show?
I actually thought they did a decent job tonight showing most events of the top 6, even though it was the Simone Biles show ( she is amazing though). I like the top group as team but switch Skinner for McCalum, she has more potential and nice lines.

danafan

Canadian ladies über
This was one of the best gymnastics broadcasts by NBC in terms of routines in a long time. They showed many important routines on replay after the fact and even showed Shilese Jones at the end who is not really a contender. I mean it's easy to rip on them for their coverage (2016 was pretty bad) but this was a very good telecast.

OlieRow

My pre-night 2 predictions for the team would be Biles, Lee, Chiles, and Wong with Carey & Riley as the +1's. McCusker gets the nod over Eaker because she's been more consistent on her event and it'd potentially be a 2nd athlete into the EF if she and Suni were to hit. Not sure if McCusker is really a medal threat though unless there are errors elsewhere. Skinner isn't a factor as she'd likely miss on EF's because of Biles and Carey.

In terms of the team, averaging scores from Classics to now Biles, Chiles, and Lee are 1st/3rd/10th on VT, 2nd/3rd/4th on UB, 1st/2nd/4th on BB, and 1st/4th/5th on FX. Wong is 6th on VT and 3rd on FX bumping Lee from both for TF which would add 0.41 to the team score. DiCello would fit in very similarly to Wong adding 0.52 with VT/FX and stronger on UB but doesn't have the international experience. If she had hit at Championships, I might give her the edge? Although she did hit VT/FX there. That decision could go either way for me, let's see who hits on Sunday when all the pressure is on... Skinner adds 0.61 on VT but hasn't been as consistent on floor and her average is lower than Wong/DiCello and she's not really usable at all on UB/BB whereas Wong/DiCello have more upside on those events in a pinch. McCallum has shown steady improvement but not sure she'd add anything in TF to the other 3 likely members. Taking McCusker as #4 for bars is I guess an option (adds about 0.53 over Simone) but that's suuuper risky and won't happen.

As long as it's not Skinner, I'll be happy but I really like Wong's lines and elegance whereas DiCello just doesn't excite me as much. I do have to give Skinner credit for having a solid meet tonight even if she's not my cup of tea.

Karina1974

Laurie Hernandez has a great commentator voice. l am ready for her to replace Nastia right now. BTW, did any of you see the Trulicity commercial featuring Laurie and her dad? It was bizarre. Her dad is diabetic, apparently, but the fine print in the commercial stated that he does not take Trulicity.
How about the GEICO commercial with Maroney? I've seen that one at least twice.

Carolla5501

I very much need NBC to dump Tim Daggett I needed them to do it decades ago

Compared to what we get for figure skating Daggett is great. Since somebody at NBC seems to be deathly in love with the sideshow act if they dumped him they probably put in Johnny and Tara there because they need something to do in the summer.l
NBC’s standards are pathetic

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information