Gymnastic news #22 - Tokyo or bust

Status
Not open for further replies.

Doggygirl

Banned Member
Just a general comment about all the video clips floating around of the skills people are doing/trying/learning in training. I find it refreshing to see so many women looking strong and fit and healthy. I hope the days of witholding food, fat shaming leading to eating disorders etc. are moving to the rear view mirror.

Aceon6

Wrangling the duvet into the cover
I’ve also wondered to what extent the time away from the gym may have healed a lot of injuries or other issues due to hard training.
I think the self motivated gymnasts will enter 2021 ready to compete, knowing what their best training regimen is, what a healthy diet looks like, and when to rest. Everyone else better watch out. If anything, 2021 should dispel the myth that the coach is more than a piece of the puzzle.

Last edited:

Sylvia

TBD
Sasha Cohen's latest podcast interview for Team USA is with Laurie Hernandez (Show Notes section includes time stamps):
Olympic Gymnast Laurie Hernandez joins Sasha as the first guest of 2021 to talk all things mental health and preparing for the Olympic Games Tokyo 2020 in 2021. Laurie shares how she navigated the challenges of 2020 and maintained a positive outlook. Sasha and Laurie explore the mental side of their rise through their respective sports at such a young age and how Laurie hopes to change the gymnastics culture for the better. Laurie explains that maintaining her mental health is just as important as her physical health.

Coco

Rotating while Russian!
Apparently MyKayla Skinner has been hospitalized with pneumonia. It appears she and her husband were diagnosed with crud last month. He is fine but she has had lingering issues. She posted the pic from the hospital on twitter. Hopefully hospitalization was just a precaution and she will be home and recovering soon.

snoopyskater

Apparently MyKayla Skinner has been hospitalized with pneumonia. It appears she and her husband were diagnosed with crud last month. He is fine but she has had lingering issues. She posted the pic from the hospital on twitter. Hopefully hospitalization was just a precaution and she will be home and recovering soon.
What is crud?

BaileyCatts

I'm pages and pages behind on reading this thread but .... Laurie Hernandez is going to try for 2021 Olympics? I completely missed that if true? I can't listen to podcast at work. No speakers. :(

danafan

Canadian ladies über
I'm pages and pages behind on reading this thread but .... Laurie Hernandez is going to try for 2021 Olympics? I completely missed that if true? I can't listen to podcast at work. No speakers. :(
Yes, she started training a couple of years ago. She's shared quite a few videos of her progress on her instagram.

skatingguy

decently
Just to be clear - there are no 2021 Olympics - the 2020 Olympics are scheduled to happen this year, but will still be referred to as such.

dramagrrl

There are starting to be significant rumours that Japan is looking to cancel the 2020/21 Summer Olympics. While it does seem to make sense given the state of the pandemic right now, I would feel terrible for all the athletes if it happened - especially the female gymnasts whose careers would likely not last another four years at elite level.

FiveRinger

There are starting to be significant rumours that Japan is looking to cancel the 2020/21 Summer Olympics. While it does seem to make sense given the state of the ********* right now, I would feel terrible for all the athletes if it happened - especially the female gymnasts whose careers would likely not last another four years at elite level.
I've heard the rumors, too. I hope that they don't cancel it. It would be a real shame. I would not mind postponing another year. The whole world needs time to recover from all of this. I don't know how the athletes feel about that option.

Aceon6

Wrangling the duvet into the cover
AFAICT the rumors are just that, rumors. Someone did a poll of Japanese citizens. The majority polled were, at best, ambivalent about having all those strange people (aka, not Japanese people) in their country without knowing how the organizers will handle the threat of crud. That became “The people don’t want it so they have to cancel.”

ETA, being discussed to death in the “Potential for cancellation” thread. Sorry.

Last edited:

bardtoob

Mary Lou Retton doing an impressive tumbling run as well as interesting pre-Karolyi choreography to dramatic orchestral music.

She reminds me more of Nellie Kim, as opposed to Nadia, in this clip.

ETA: The full routine @Coco

Last edited:

dramagrrl

I like Shawn and I hope she gets well soon, especially considering that she is pregnant, but honestly, if you follow her and/or her husband's social media, it is not really surprising that she got covid. They went on a ski vacation recently and had pictures where they were definitely NOT social distancing from the friends they went with, have shown IG stories and YouTube vids where they've been dining out, etc. Not very responsible behaviour. I didn't catch her announcement of testing positive on IG stories, but apparently she took it down shortly after she posted it, so she must've gotten a lot of backlash.

skatfan

I like Shawn and I hope she gets well soon, especially considering that she is pregnant, but honestly, if you follow her and/or her husband's social media, it is not really surprising that she got *********. They went on a ski vacation recently and had pictures where they were definitely NOT social distancing from the friends they went with, have shown IG stories and YouTube vids where they've been dining out, etc. Not very responsible behaviour. I didn't catch her announcement of testing positive on IG stories, but apparently she took it down shortly after she posted it, so she must've gotten a lot of backlash.
Exactly. Her husband caught it in the fall, so one would think they’d be more cautious but no. I hope her parents (who help with their one-year-old) don’t get it.

she’s posting updates on her IG stories - she is not only pregnant, she has asthma. Luckily she’s ok at the moment but so eye-rolling at the recklessness of it all. I did send a message saying she needs to do better.

Last edited:

bardtoob

Last edited:

bardtoob

Associated Press Article on Yahoo

Dianne Durham

Last edited:

VGThuy

Finally something different in WAG but I can see so many gymnasts now trying it by chucking it and hoping not to die.

bardtoob

Here is the 1983 Test Event in the 1984 Olympic Venue where Dianne Durham placed 1st and Mary Lou Retton placed 2nd.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information