Gymnastic news #22 - Tokyo or bust

Status
Not open for further replies.

sonsofanarchy

Banned Member
Komova was a headcase. She had all the technical skill, beautiful execution, and yet she always looked miserable.

Her attitude sucked too. I think part of her inconsistency was her bad attitude. And it is also why I have a hard time feeling badly for her losing in a couple close decisions (AAs at both 2011 worlds and 2012 Olympics) some thought she was robbed. Not only did she have it within her power to not made the mistakes she made and win both times easily, but coming out on the short end of close calls it is just harder to go along with a wuzrobbed case, even if there could be a debated one, when you seem that unlikeable and poor a sport. She is practically Khorkina like in that sense, without the achievements and legacy to semi justify it like Khorkina atleast had established.

Jimena

Komova should've been the perfect gymnast, really. A very rare combination of grace, beauty and power. I still watch her London AA floor routine. She was so wonderful.

What could've been.

sk9tingfan

Just read today's NY Times piece on Suni Lee. I cannot imagine the stress she has been under given that she thought she had COVID and the risk it posed to her father who is quadriplegic. It is also tragic that she lost an aunt and uncle. This is a profile in courage.

ilovepaydays

Just finished listening to the latest GymCastic episode that dropped yesterday. I wanted to be hopeful about how they would respond.

That they titled it “Agree to Disagree” was a big first clue that I was going to be disappointed. 😔 😠

floskate

Vacant
Just finished listening to the latest GymCastic episode that dropped yesterday. I wanted to be hopeful about how they would respond.

That they titled it “Agree to Disagree” was a big first clue that I was going to be disappointed. 😔 😠

I think this was a huge mistake on Jessica's part. Spencer and Kensley try to hold VKF accountable to some degree but this pretty much invalidates a lot of the work they have done up to now in validating the victims coming forward and advocating for change. Because apparently that only counts when the accused coach in question isn't your bff. Jessica had a choice here; back up everything that she has previously advocated for and call out VKF for her despicably vindictive behaviour - no Spencer, mean does not cover it - and deal with her personal relationship with Val off air, or.....sit on the fence until her ass bleeds and undermine Alyssa in the process. She unfortunately chose the latter and that wasn't smart.

There is so much more that needs to be said about this though.

Rob

Beach Bum
I read a bit from VKF's book about her dislike for cornrows. Jeanette Antolin showed up in cornrows and VKF told her it was a harsh look she didn't want her team to project and that she'd be sitting on the bench if she didn't take them out. Katelyn Ohashi showed up in cornrows, she got the same story with VKF even picking them out of her hair. She didn't say she didn't want to get into discussions of cultural misappropriation and whether it is ok for non-black people to wear cornrows (a debate that was already out there by the time Ohashi was competing for UCLA), she used terms with racist or sexist undertones to describe her dislike.

Loves_Shizuka

I've never listened to Gymcastic before, and I'm only about 10 minutes in, but I'm confused as to why the main host seems so bubbly and happy whilst talking about sensitive issues? Am I missing something?

VGThuy

There's a lot of things I love about my generation, but what I don't like is that we're rejecting professional-sounding broadcast voices. Too many of them adopt conversational and social-media speech patterns that seems more fitting for juvenile audiences. It's not just Gymcastic but all across broadcast television and even sports commentators.

VALuvsMKwan

Codger level achieved
There's a lot of things I love about my generation, but what I don't like is that we're rejecting professional-sounding broadcast voices. Too many of them adopt conversational and social-media speech patterns that seems more fitting for juvenile audiences. It's not just Gymcastic but all across broadcast television and even sports commentators.

Is there "VO-cal FRYYYYYYYYY" as well?

Loves_Shizuka

ITA actually. I'm surprised this particular podcast seems so informal and "light" about something relatively serious. About 15 mins in but not sure I'll finish it.

Coco

Rotating while Russian!
I read a bit from VKF's book about her dislike for cornrows. Jeanette Antolin showed up in cornrows and VKF told her it was a harsh look she didn't want her team to project and that she'd be sitting on the bench if she didn't take them out. Katelyn Ohashi showed up in cornrows, she got the same story with VKF even picking them out of her hair. She didn't say she didn't want to get into discussions of cultural misappropriation and whether it is ok for non-black people to wear cornrows (a debate that was already out there by the time Ohashi was competing for UCLA), she used terms with racist or sexist undertones to describe her dislike.

That's so...Martha. smh

ilovepaydays

ITA actually. I'm surprised this particular podcast seems so informal and "light" about something relatively serious. About 15 mins in but not sure I'll finish it.

I’m just relieved that Jessica didn’t squeal during the episode. I know I’ve stated how I’ve felt about that earlier this week, but I don’t get how she does get why that sounds so bad - especially in a podcast.

VGThuy

I would make a comment that probably a huge chunk of the gymternet fandom probably act and talk like her, but that’s not necessarily a bad thing since it means gymnastics has a nice, young, and devoted fanbase.

4rkidz

plotting, planning and travelling
If you aren’t following Memmel’s comeback you should. In this week’s video she did an Amanar into the pit

She looks so powerful one of my favourites i cant wait to see what the future holds.

her grace

Team Guignard/Fabbri
I think this was a huge mistake on Jessica's part. Spencer and Kensley try to hold VKF accountable to some degree but this pretty much invalidates a lot of the work they have done up to now in validating the victims coming forward and advocating for change.

This. And I'm not going to waste my time listening to this podcast if they can't use the standards they've used for everyone else on VKF.

As Rachael Denhollender has said, "The extent that one is willing to speak out against their own community is the bright line test for how much they care and how much they understand."

Bellanca

Her attitude sucked too. I think part of her inconsistency was her bad attitude. And it is also why I have a hard time feeling badly for her losing in a couple close decisions (AAs at both 2011 worlds and 2012 Olympics) some thought she was robbed. Not only did she have it within her power to not made the mistakes she made and win both times easily, but coming out on the short end of close calls it is just harder to go along with a wuzrobbed case, even if there could be a debated one, when you seem that unlikeable and poor a sport. She is practically Khorkina like in that sense, without the achievements and legacy to semi justify it like Khorkina at least had established.
Komova did appear to look pretty miserable, depressed, or perhaps feeling the pressure more than we thought. Then again, Viktoria's behavior came to be expected and was predictably present at almost every meet. She also had a bit of an unkempt look, and that is not meant to be an overly critical or cruel remark because people did take notice of that, especially her hair. Anyway, I liked her gymnastics; she was an excellent gymnast. However, Viktoria was not robbed at the Olympics. Plus, in the attitude department, Komova had miles to go before she could catch up to or compete with Khorkina. 🤭

Bellanca

Another gymnast has shared her story. Kaylee Fox from CGA and Mary Lee Tracy. It's a 9 page google document.

"MLT told my mom that I needed to go to the doctor and be checked out. She questioned how my mom hadn’t seen “these signs” at home, or how she could’ve “let me get this sick.” Again, MLT stated that she couldn’t have me training in her gym and look the way I did. I remember the next moments precisely because my mom got defensive and I am haunted by the next words of MLT. My mom argued, “She only did what you asked her to do.” MLT replied with, “I NEVER asked her to be anorexic.”

🙄 :rolleyes: The table was set for possible eating disorders to occur via the environment and the recommendations. Coach/staff denials regarding this topic are appalling, and I apologize if this offends anyone, but MLT is an a$$.

sonsofanarchy

Banned Member
Mary Lee Tracy sounds like a bigger monster than the Karolyis in many ways. Atleast the Karolyis were upfront about how they were and how they train and if you don't like it you should not go there when they were coaching (obviously when Marta was National Team coordinator getting away from her was impossible). MLT was completely fake.

Erin

Banned Member
Mary Lee Tracy sounds like a bigger monster than the Karolyis in many ways. Atleast the Karolyis were upfront about how they were and how they train and if you don't like it you should not go there when they were coaching (obviously when Marta was National Team coordinator getting away from her was impossible). MLT was completely fake.

Seems like she fooled you/your previous identity:

Your tune sure has changed in a couple of years.

danafan

Canadian ladies über
Memmel continues to make progress. The switch leap mount (a D) looks really good. And she's progressing with the jam. I like how she explained how different skills affect her shoulder on bars (fans were concerned when she did a drill for the jam last week).

skatfan

Memmel continues to make progress. The switch leap mount (a D) looks really good. And she's progressing with the jam. I like how she explained how different skills affect her shoulder on bars (fans were concerned when she did a drill for the jam last week).

Sad (for us) to see Rahdea go back to college - hope she gets to compete.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information