Great Skaters who never made it to the Olympics

coppertop1

Had they not staggered the Winter and Summer Olympics, Rudy Galindo would've probably gone in '96 (Michelle Kwan may have been a double gold medalist).

But I really feel bad for Mark Mitchell.

I don't want to jinx them but I'm afraid Wakaba Higuchi, Mai Mihara, and Marin Honda will not get a chance, either.

With so much depth in Japan, I think you're right. Add Rika Hongo to that list, too. Normally, I wouldn't count them out because they're young but Japan is insanely deep. What really sucks is that if Japan had three spots for the ladies in 2018, Wakaba probably would have gone.

all_empty

With so much depth in Japan, I think you're right. Add Rika Hongo to that list, too. Normally, I wouldn't count them out because they're young but Japan is insanely deep. What really sucks is that if Japan had three spots for the ladies in 2018, Wakaba probably would have gone.

Yeah Rika is definitely unlikely to make it.

I still have a feeling one of Higuchi and Mihara may make it, but unfortunately perhaps at the expense of Miyahara.

A Kihira, Sakamoto, Mihara team is an early prediction -- I'm not sure any of their juniors will have enough momentum over the next 2-3 seasons but you never know -- Sakamoto built a strong case in the Olympic year but she had a lot of success as a junior.

AxelAnnie

Like a small boat on the ocean...
Losing her mom in the 05 car crash (On the way to the arena at Nationals in Portland!!!!) was tragic enough. The cab did flip. But from what I heard Nikodinov sustained a wrist injury but ultimately would step away from the sport....

UGGGGGGGGG

:(:(:(:(:(:(

Angela sustained severe hand nerve and ligament damage to her hand. The van tipped over, and her hand was outside the window stuck between the car and the road.

People Magazine
Even now, if I hit my hand on something, I’ll scream. The nerves on the surface are very sensitive. When I spin, the blood rushes to my hand and it numbs and there’s risk of injury if I fall. So I can’t skate. I may have surgery. I want a normal hand for the rest of my life, not just for skating.

Her mom drove her to every lesson and competition. They were on their way to US Nats. I think seeing your mother die (which she did) right in front of her, coupled with her skating being the only reason they were on that road at that time, add in the injury.........I am surprised Angela could get it together to put one foot in front of the other. Competing was to painful for her heart, and too dangerous for her hand.

coppertop1

Angela sustained severe hand nerve and ligament damage to her hand. The van tipped over, and her hand was outside the window stuck between the car and the road.

People Magazine

Her mom drove her to every lesson and competition. They were on their way to US Nats. I think seeing your mother die (which she did) right in front of her, coupled with her skating being the only reason they were on that road at that time, add in the injury.........I am surprised Angela could get it together to put one foot in front of the other. Competing was to painful for her heart, and too dangerous for her hand.

I remember the accident. I didn't realize her hand injury was so serious. So tragic.

I think Japanese ladies need more spots at the Olys.

I don't think there are enough spots for all the depth they have.

Marco

I think Japanese ladies need more spots at the Olys.

Depends on what the purpose of competition is.

If the Olympics is more about participation and inclusion, then 3 per country sounds fair because the aim is to include as many countries as possible; and 3 is the domination number because a country can at most sweep the entire podium and not more.

If the Olympics is more about having the best competitors, then qualification should be strictly merit based instead of country based.

coppertop1

Hanae Yokoya. She was twice in the top ten at Worlds ('95 & '96) but got injured the following year... when Fumie Suguri & Shizuka won their first medals at the Japanese Championships. She was 4th at Japanese Nationals in '98, missing the Nagano team.

I remember Hanae. I thought she had potential. It's too bad injuries hampered her.

Tracy Wainman is another one. She competed at the 1980 Worlds but the CFSA sent Heather Kemkaren to Lake Placid.

Iluvid

Had they not staggered the Winter and Summer Olympics, Rudy Galindo would've probably gone in '96 (Michelle Kwan may have been a double gold medalist).

But I really feel bad for Mark Mitchell.

I don't want to jinx them but I'm afraid Wakaba Higuchi, Mai Mihara, and Marin Honda will not get a chance, either.
I was thinking the same thing! 😩

all_empty

Hanae Yokoya. She was twice in the top ten at Worlds ('95 & '96) but got injured the following year... when Fumie Suguri & Shizuka won their first medals at the Japanese Championships. She was 4th at Japanese Nationals in '98, missing the Nagano team.

I believe Japan only had one spot in Nagano, and it went to Shizuka.

But had you asked anyone in '98 if Shizuka would ever go to another Olympics, much less WIN one eight years later, I doubt any would say yes.

Glad Mao Fumie got to go to two, and Miki as well (although she was kinda gifted in 2006). Poor Yukari though.

Satoko has carried the banner for Japan for many years now, but I don't know if she'll make 2022 though.

J

Jeschke

Of course I have to mention Annette Dytrt :gallopin1
She may not have been the greatest skater (for others) but the way she failed to make it to the olympics twice as german#1 (and the way in between) was kinda :drama:

coppertop1

Michelle Menzies missed making Olympic teams 3 times in the 1990s in pairs.

Cynthia Coull was the Olympic alternate in pairs and singles in 1984.

I remember Menzies/Bombardier's LP from 1998 Canadians. They completely imploded. They didn't even make the podium.

Seerek

Michelle McDonald-Wheeler went to the 3 World Championships before the 1992 Olympics (11th in 1989 and 9th in 1990 with the "other" Mark Mitchell, 16th with Martin Smith in 1991), but missed consideration for Albertville, finishing 3rd at 1992 Canadian nationals (2 berths available).

VGThuy

Of course I have to mention Annette Dytrt :gallopin1
She may not have been the greatest skater (for others) but the way she failed to make it to the olympics twice as german#1 (and the way in between) was kinda :drama:

Is it because Germany didn't qualify for a spot or the German Olympic Committee didn't send any German lady to the Olympics both times, or something else? (I saw that Sarah Hecken made it to the Olympics in 2010).

nylynnr

Tracy Wainman is another one. She competed at the 1980 Worlds but the CFSA sent Heather Kemkaren to Lake Placid.

Memories! That was a controversial move by CFSA (Dore). Tracey was third behind Kemkaran and Morrissey at '80 nationals and I think she was 12 at the time she was sent to her first Worlds.

coppertop1

Memories! That was a controversial move by CFSA (Dore). Tracey was third behind Kemkaran and Morrissey at '80 nationals and I think she was 12 at the time she was sent to her first Worlds.

Yes. Tracey is often used as a cautionary example on pushing young skaters too soon but she has said she's happy she got the chance when she did.

J

Jeschke

Is it because Germany didn't qualify for a spot or the German Olympic Committee didn't send any German lady to the Olympics both times, or something else? (I saw that Sarah Hecken made it to the Olympics in 2010).
Dytrt was the one earning both spots, the one for 2006 and 2010.
2006 were strict nomination calls, whereas her Top10 Euros finish was still not good enough to qualify. Iirc criteria was set by german fed and approved by olympic comittee.
(Switch to pairs, tv show to earn money --> ISU-ban --> switch back --> Euros, 7th, Worlds 12th)
2010 Dytrt was obviously not in shape early in the season and had really bad outings at both her GP's. Later it was stated by fed, the skate needed to meet the criteria (128pts) twice in their first 3 competitions. Dytrt only managed at her 3rd, IceChallenge. It seemed it was not stated correctly that the criteria needs to be met in first 3 events, so there was some aftermath to this.
(Switch to Steuer --> family death --> career end)

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information