Gracie Gold's memoir published February 2024

Prancer

Chitarrista
Staff member
ok, a teaser so to speak.
I would guess it's more of a liability issue. If she named him, she would have to deal with the fallout. She might be up for that, or she might not.

As it is, she's given enough clues that there might be fallout anyway. And for those who think there should be fallout from this, she is the victim here and gets to make that decision.
Most of the cases discussed here on FSU involve actual criminal charges or SafeSport complaints that have been made public.
Yes; quite different.

kosjenka

Pogorilaya’s fairy godmother
She really helped Gracie, tell her story. She’s a little bit petty on Twitter, but there we go

jkl

I just finished reading Gracie’s book. It is a powerful read. I had tickets to Boitano’s Lounge on Friday night in Columbus. Gracie was a special guest. There were complimentary copies of her book on every table which Gracie graciously autographed. When I got a moment to speak to her I mentioned I was in the arena at one of her competitions. I told her I was on my feet cheering before she finished her performance. She gave me that million dollar smile and said “You have no idea how much that means to me”. Now that I have read the book I truly understand the comment.

zee703

Me too... requesting a PM. I just finished that chapter. This is quite a book and shocking info' re: the skating world (at least to me)... especially about the judges.

Tangoer

Allskate

I think people who are asking are looking for confirmation after reading it & doing their own research. I wasn’t sure of my conclusion and felt a bit less uneasy when someone else confirmed they had come to the same one.
For crying out loud. The person offering to respond to PMs doesn't know, either, and is speculating as well. If you want a potentially defamatory PM from this person, then PM them yourself and ask for it.

Prancer, a staff member, repeatedly has directed people to stop clogging this thread with PM requests and to PM this person personally. It's really not that hard to comply and it's pretty rude for people not to do so.

pixie cut

For crying out loud. The person offering to respond to PMs doesn't know, either, and is speculating as well. If you want a potentially defamatory PM from this person, then PM them yourself and ask for it.

Prancer, a staff member, repeatedly has directed people to stop clogging this thread with PM requests and to PM this person personally. It's really not that hard to comply and it's pretty rude for people not to do so.
I wish I could quadruple like this. The person who is responding to the PMs doesn't know for sure. Unless Gracie told you, frankly keep it among you and your personal friends not people with screen names. If someone knows for sure, I'd still keep that off of FSU because there's a good reason Gracie didn't name said person in the book. There can be consequences for doing so.

Tangoer

I’m not disagreeing with you or Prancer on that.

Prancer

Chitarrista
Staff member
I think people who are asking are looking for confirmation after reading it & doing their own research. I wasn’t sure of my conclusion and felt a bit less uneasy when someone else confirmed they had come to the same one.
But what have you confirmed, other than you have the same suspicions as someone else?
If someone knows for sure, I'd still keep that off of FSU
That would be much appreciated, as it saves us from having to sit on this thread so we can immediately delete such a post.

I get that everyone wants to know, but I think you should have some respect for the fact that Gracie has not (yet) made the name of her attacker public and also maybe some respect for the board and our potential liability as well as your own.

Trillian

If someone knows for sure, I'd still keep that off of FSU because there's a good reason Gracie didn't name said person in the book. There can be consequences for doing so.

Just on a purely practical level, I’d point out that we have no idea who’s really behind most of the screen names here. I get trying to figure out who’s involved from the hints in the book because I did it too, and I know there are probably even some people here who have more inside dirt than that, but this is a really dicey thing to be discussing with anonymous strangers on the internet. For anyone who is naming names via PM, I would just be really careful you’re prepared for who might be on the other end of that conversation.

pixie cut

Just on a purely practical level, I’d point out that we have no idea who’s really behind most of the screen names here. I get trying to figure out who’s involved from the hints in the book because I did it too, and I know there are probably even some people here who have more inside dirt than that, but this is a really dicey thing to be discussing with anonymous strangers on the internet. For anyone who is naming names via PM, I would just be really careful you’re prepared for who might be on the other end of that conversation.
You didn't include that part of my post. I wouldn't be sharing speculation, for sure, or even fact with anonymous screen names. This is a serious subject. Know that the book's publisher vetted every word published. I wouldn't be shocked if FSU moderators locked down any conversation.

Prancer

Chitarrista
Staff member
I wouldn't be shocked if FSU moderators locked down any conversation.
We have no control over what people say in PMs.

It's tempting to lock this thread and others like it, but these discussions are important. People just need to recognize that there are some boundaries--and also that there is no such thing as total anonymity, here or anywhere else.

pixie cut

We have no control over what people say in PMs.

It's tempting to lock this thread and others like it, but these discussions are important. People just need to recognize that there are some boundaries--and also that there is no such thing as total anonymity, here or anywhere else.
The conversation is important. Speculation about the alleged assailant doesn't need to be a part of that.

Trillian

You didn't include that part of my post.

Sorry - I changed my train of thought midway through and left the wrong snip.

I wouldn't be sharing speculation, for sure, or even fact with anonymous screen names. This is a serious subject. Know that the book's publisher vetted every word published. I wouldn't be shocked if FSU moderators locked down any conversation.

I don’t know the law around this, but my gut feeling is that people who do have inside knowledge might end up in even more trouble if they accidentally share it with the wrong person.

Like I said, I understand trying to parse the clues. But for those of us who are primarily fans, we don’t actually need to know. Of course none of us wants to be cheering for a terrible person, but frankly, that’s the risk we take every time we get emotionally engaged with the work of a stranger.

The conversation is important. Speculation about the alleged assailant doesn't need to be a part of that.

Sometimes knowing the identity of a predator is relevant to the “how did he get away with this?” conversation, but honestly? Not usually that relevant. In the end it’s just some guy, and he got away with it for a lot of the same reasons they always do.

Former Lurve Goddess

Sorry - I changed my train of thought midway through and left the wrong snip.

I don’t know the law around this, but my gut feeling is that people who do have inside knowledge might end up in even more trouble if they accidentally share it with the wrong person.

Like I said, I understand trying to parse the clues. But for those of us who are primarily fans, we don’t actually need to know. Of course none of us wants to be cheering for a terrible person, but frankly, that’s the risk we take every time we get emotionally engaged with the work of a stranger.

Sometimes knowing the identity of a predator is relevant to the “how did he get away with this?” conversation, but honestly? Not usually that relevant. In the end it’s just some guy, and he got away with it for a lot of the same reasons they always do.
The "whisper network" is sometimes the only way that people can protect themselves and others from potential abusers, however, problematic and legally grey it may be.

pixie cut

The "whisper network" is sometimes the only way that people can protect themselves and others from potential abusers, however, problematic and legally grey it may be.
That's fine if the people you're whispering to are fellow skaters who may come into direct contact with the alleged person in similar situations. The whisper network does not include people with anonymous screen names on FSU.

Trillian

I totally agree and I felt from reading the book that Gracie wanted him to be identifiable to people in the skating world, probably for that reason.

But I would guess people in the skating world already know who he is. So the “whisper network” in this case might mostly consist of fans, who are probably not at significant risk from this person as a general rule. We all want to feel good that we’re not cheering for a rapist (at least until the next one gets outed) but for most of us, there’s no real reason we need to have his identity confirmed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information