Gracie Gold article in People 12.30.2019

Japanfan

I'm not opposed to big dreams. I'm concerned about the combination of unrealistic dreams and mental fragility.

What evidence do you have of Gracie's mental fragility?

Her mental health and eating disorder struggles may have strengthened her, not the opposite.

And I would expect that she has a psychologist/sport psychologist in her support team, who are giving her appropriate guidance. I would be extremely distressed to learn that she is pushed to compete but doesn't feel ready for it.

aftershocks

Banned Member
? She says her goal is to get to the 2022 Olympics. I'm not sure why people keep saying her goal is just to see what she can do or whatever.

In the article, Gracie is also quoted as saying, "I can always retire at any moment and go back to school or work full time... [Skating] is not the end of the world like I used to kind of feel like it was.”

In the original NYTimes article which the People article is based on, it's indicated that one of Gracie's far-ranging goals includes, "to someday open a mental health wing at the U.S. Olympic & Paralympic Training Center in Colorado Springs."

The article writer goes on to mention the following, which is not a direct quote:
"[Gracie's] current goal remains to qualify for the 2022 Winter Olympicsjust not at any cost, as in the past."

That editorial comment is then followed by this direct quote from Gracie:
“My goal is to maintain my mental health while making progress on the ice...”

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information