Gracie Gold article in People 12.30.2019

genevieve

drinky typo pbp, closet hugger (she/her)
Staff member

bardtoob

I don't know the situation, but I'm disappointed that the coach that had her doing 3As and quads is no longer working with Gracie.

Maybe it was an unhealthy situation, but 3As and quads are a reality.

Brady Tennell shouldn't have been allowed at the GPF.

Last edited:

mtnskater

Brady Tennell shouldn't have been allowed at the GPF.

To me this is a ridiculous statement. Bradie earned her spot at the GPF fair and square. She also did not finish last out of the six qualifiers. Do you also think Zagitova should not have been “allowed” at the GPF because she doesn’t do the quad or triple axel either?

I’m interested to watch Gracie skate...quad or no quad (or 3 axel).

bardtoob

Wait, what? How did we get from Gracie to Bradie?

Let us say Gracie wants to be as competitive as she was before. Nationally, her main competition would be Bradie. Internationally, it would be with the 12+ skaters from Russia or Japan that are substantially better than Bradie.

bardtoob

Do you also think Zagitova should not have been “allowed” at the GPF because she doesn’t do the quad or triple axel either?

I don't think some of Zagitova's jumps should have been called triples in the GP events, but that is a whole other level of politics.

bardtoob

What's that got to do with Bradie being at the GPF?

So you are upset I said the national champion's name. Ok.

Gracie should not be training as if winning the US National Championship with a 3Lz-3T is at all related to being internationally competitive.

MacMadame

Doing all the things
Gracie should not be training as if winning the US National Championship with a 3Lz-3T is at all related to being internationally competitive.
She's not. She's working to get back skills she used to have but doesn't have now.

It's ridiculous to be working on a quad when you can't even land more than the simplest triples. Once she has all the triples through Lutz, she can worry about getting a 3-3 and a 3X and maybe even a Quad.

Japanfan

I don't know the situation, but I'm disappointed that the coach that had her doing 3As and quads is no longer working with Gracie.

Let's not. Given all the terrible personal problems she has gone through, maybe just being able to be at Nationals is a win for her.

I had the same response as @overedge.

Let us say Gracie wants to be as competitive as she was before. Nationally, her main competition would be Bradie. Internationally, it would be with the 12+ skaters from Russia or Japan that are substantially better than Bradie.

It's very possible she is not striving to be as competitive as she was before. At the present time just being able to skate and compete is a victory for Gracie.

Simone411

To Boldly Explore Figure Skating Around The World
Damn! I'm proud of Gracie! She fought off the storm, bounced back and even got herself back in shape. It's hard sometimes facing all the storms that are ahead of us. She's a winner to me, and had the guts to do this when everyone thought she wouldn't be back.

If you give up on things in life, then you've let that storm conquer you. She didn't, though. I'm excited about this, and I wish Gracie all the luck in the world!!

Gracie, this poem is for you. I wrote the poem May 12th, 1982 and it still has the same meaning in this day and age.

The Drain And The Gutter

If one's challenge
In life
Is washed down the drain ...

Find a plunger,
Locate the challenge,
Attain it,
And plug up the sink.

It is better to try again
Than falling down the drain
Into the gutter.

And this is what she did. She didn't give up and she plugged up the sink. :respec::cheer2:

bardtoob

There's good as in "gold medal material", and good as in "the absolute best I can do." Do you really think that people with no hope to win gold shouldn't even compete?

You're right. US Ladies Sr. Nationals is a fun recreational event. Everybody gets a trophy :)

... And if you do well on the right year, then you might be elected to go to the Olympics :)

canbelto

Um @bardtoob I'm really not trying to be confrontational but you realize that many people go to the Olympics and have no hope of medaling and they know it right? But they're there for the experience? Like would you have told Adam Rippon "you'll never beat Hanyu and Chen on a good day. You are a loser kthxbye." If Gracie has qualified for Nationals and wants to go and thinks it'll be a step closer to her recovery and her ability to think positively about the sport that's great. If Bradie goes to Nats and her jump content isn't the same as Anna Scherbakova or Alena Kostornaia that's fine too. You don;t have a right to tell elite athletes what their personal goals should be.

And going by your logic every elite gymnast in Rio should have just dropped out because their D score was nowhere close to Simone Biles.

Aerobicidal

Shut that door.
You're right. US Ladies Sr. Nationals is a fun recreational event. Everybody gets a trophy :)

... And if you do well on the right year, then you might be elected to go to the Olympics :)
A. There's just a touch of middle ground between "fun recreational event" and "don't compete there unless you are likely to win and also be competitive with Tutberidze's non-Zagitova skaters."

B. U.S. Nationals has reasonably strict technical minimums for seniors to even compete there. Megan Wessenberg didn't even make the minimums.

C. If Zagitova returns to competitive skating, I would like her to perform to an MC Hammer medley.

Anyway, I'm rooting for Gracie to meet her personal goals and I can't wait to see her skate at Nationals.

bardtoob

If Bradie goes to Nats and her jump content isn't the same as Anna Scherbakova or Alena Kostornaia that's fine too. You don;t have a right to tell elite athletes what their personal goals should be.

Is that because figure skating is not a real sport? Fans of real sports as well as sports commentators tell teams and athletes what they should do all the time.

bardtoob

Well the fact of the matter is that only three ladies will get medals. Is it your position that everyone else simply shouldn't go?

In this case, the 4th should definitely go ;)

Of course, if everybody decides they don't want to win, then everybody should go because somebody is bound to give away the championship.

canbelto

Uh no. There are a bunch of swimmers who go to the Olys and have no chance of medaling. No one tells them they can't go. Most never make it to the finals. Some are backups for the relay. Everyone has different goals. But they qualified and so therefore they have a right to be there. Same for male sprinters in the Usain Bolt era. Bolt with erratic training could breeze past many of them on their best day. But they had a right to experience the Olys or Athletics Worlds.

Seriously are you trolling or did you sign out of your @Tinami Amori account or are you Eteri behind a screen? Because for someone watching at home you're awfully judgmental of people who have worked hard and trained hard and deserve to be at Nationals whether or not they have the jump content to medal at worlds.

bardtoob

I believe that not everybody can win a championship, but everybody entered in the competition should be brave in the attempt to win the championship.

bardtoob

Seriously are you trolling or did you sign out of your @Tinami Amori account or are you Eteri behind a screen?

:lol: @Tinami Amori is going to be so insulted that we could possibly be confused :D

Because for someone watching at home you're awfully judgmental of people who have worked hard and trained hard and deserve to be at Nationals whether or not they have the jump content to medal at worlds.

I think I am respecting the athletes, and I am judgemental of those that would tell them "be realistic" rather tell them "to fight like they want to win".

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information