Gracie Gold's memoir published February 2024

MacMadame

Doing all the things
Nothing at all, please don't take personally. It was a response to share the things he allegedly did and agreeing with what you wrote. I'm not sure why you would be upset, but promise it literally has nothing to do with you.
I was just confused. Thanks for explaining.

Yuri

All I know is what’s in the book, but I do want to point out that the book only says the assault took place after an “event,” and I’m not sure that event was necessarily a competition. If it’s who I think, it could have been at one of the competitions people are discussing, but that’s not the only possibility.

When Gracie talks about SafeSport finally reaching out to her, she says: “A figure skater who was born outside of the United States but was training in America had been implicated in a different case. It apparently brought new attention to my case.” I don’t think the skater in the other case is the same person who assaulted her, but I do think that’s an interesting reference point and confirms that SafeSport could at least theoretically be involved in investigating such cases.

They could assign her to different events than the ones he’s attending, and/or not invite him to events in the U.S. that she’s attending, and/or do other kinds of meddling. It’s messier if he’s American because he’s probably at nationals and there’s the potential for ongoing risk to other American athletes that makes SafeSport’s inaction look even more egregious. I don’t think this detail confirms anything one way or another, but I also think it was included for a reason, and I’ll leave it at that.
Since there appears to be some confusion as to what "events" Gracie participated in during the relevant timeline of Chapter 11:

• World Figure Skating Championships (Boston, USA), 4th place, March 28-April 3, 2016
  • U.S. Stars On Ice Tour (Hershey PA, Portland ME), April 15-17, 2016 (**)
  • Team Challenge Cup (Spokane, USA), Team NA 1st place, April 22-24, 2016 (**)
  • U.S. Stars On Ice Tour (Chicago IL, St. Paul MN, Anaheim CA, San Jose CA), April 29-May 8, 2016 (**)
  • Gracie and Carly's 21st birthday (Gracie at Champs Camp), August 17, 2016
  • Japan Open (Saitama, Japan), Team NA 3rd place, October 1, 2016 (**)
  • Skate America GP (Chicago, USA), 5th place, October 21-23, 2016
  • Trophee de France GP (Paris, France), 8th place, November 11-13, 2016
  • Golden Spin of Zagreb CS (Zagreb, Croatia), 6th place, December 7-10, 2016
  • Celebrating holidays with family (Los Angeles, USA), late December 2016
  • US Figure Skating Championships (Kansas City, USA), 6th place, January 14-22, 2017

As Trillian stated, the event described may not necessarily have taken place at an after-party of an international competition. It's possible that it happened after an ice show or at a major life event, since she was sharing a nice hotel suite with her sister Carly (and boyfriend). There are further bread crumbs within Chapter 11 that should help narrow down the time frame quite a bit from the list above.

Finally, U.S. SafeSport wasn't even established until March 2017 and the events weren't reported to them by her USFS contact until after the events described following her meltdown at Champs Camp later that summer.

**ETA--edited to add Gracie's team events (and fix Team North America placement) and split out the individual SOI tour dates.

Last edited:

ice coverage

Since there appears to be some confusion as to what "events" Gracie participated in during the relevant timeline of Chapter 11:

• World Figure Skating Championships (Boston, USA), 4th place, March 28-April 3, 2016
  • U.S. Stars On Ice Tour (six cities), April 15-May 8, 2016
  • Gracie and Carly's 21st birthday (Gracie at Champs Camp), August 17, 2016
  • Skate America GP (Chicago, USA), 5th place, October 21-23, 2016
  • Trophee de France GP (Paris, France), 8th place, November 11-13, 2016
  • Golden Spin of Zagreb CS (Zagreb, Croatia), 6th place, December 7-10, 2016
  • Celebrating holidays with family (Los Angeles, USA), late December 2016
  • US Figure Skating Championships (Kansas City, USA), 6th place, January 14-22, 2017

I have not read the book.
But another Gracie event in the timeframe of the list above was Team Challenge Cup, which was in Spokane from Apr 22-24, 2016. It was the competition for Team North America vs. Team Asia vs. Team Europe.
Gracie was a TCC competitor -- plus IIRC, for months in advance, she had some kind of extra role as an official ambassador for the event.

Last edited:

ice coverage

• Team Challenge Cup (Spokane, USA), Team NA 2nd place, April 22-24, 2016 (**)

Off topic:
Not that anyone would/should care at this point, but after all disciplines competed on the second/final day of Team Challenge Cup, Team North America placed first overall for the entire event. (Team Europe second, Team Asia third.)
After the first day of competition, which was only for singles, Team North America was in second place. (Team Asia first, Team Europe third.)

Last edited:

VALuvsMKwan

Codger level achieved
I saw only the suggestion of a specific person's nationality and an abrupt withdrawal of that person from a competition in a different country which might, if this person were the party involved, have resulted in serious legal consequences if criminal charges were filed in that country.

Yes, that's vague (deliberately to keep SHARPIE from any liability) but no name was mentioned anywhere in Reddit that I saw.

A withdrawal matching what was suggested in that Reddit post was commented on in a thread on this board.

tony

Throwing the (rule)book at them
There was a name inadvertently mentioned in said thread on Reddit, to which a few people replied ironically. But no, there’s no speculation as suggested 🙄

skategal

Bunny mama
There is a name mentioned on Reddit.

I saw it earlier tonight and it wasn’t one that was on my radar. (Although not knowing much about US skaters and International skaters and where they train in US I admit I could be dense on this topic. :lol:)

The mods are deleting names over there so I think this one may have been missed. Or it may no longer even be there.

I am not comfortable linking the thread here.

canbelto

Just yesterday the name was mentioned on reddit directly as a suspect. But those comments are now gone as the mods have deleted them.

Winnipeg

WHy the secrecy? Others have been named as attackers before they were found guilty? I admit I have not read the book so maybe I am missing something obvious.

tony

Throwing the (rule)book at them
WHy the secrecy? Others have been named as attackers before they were found guilty? I admit I have not read the book so maybe I am missing something obvious.
Because she didn’t name him. It’s not as if she revealed it in the book and people are hesitant to share here. It’s that she gave a detailed description of the event, along with hints of the perpetrator, without actually revealing his name.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information