Gracie Gold's memoir published February 2024

Simone411

To Boldly Explore Figure Skating Around The World
I’ve seen people not used to having cameras in their faces react really badly. At that point through no fault of her own, she’d been front-page news for months. I’ve never been a big fan of her or her skating style but I can understand why she had had it up to here at that point.

And I hate Disney venues too. $2 million isn’t enough to get me to Disney World especially in a public rag-rah role.
Well, I didn't think about that until you mentioned it. And she had been front-page news for several months even before the Olympics because of circumstances dealing with Tonya. I realize now that the pressure alone more than likely caused her to be that way.

overedge

Mayor of Carrot City
IIRC Nancy said she was always going to be remembered for "Nancy and Tonya" which she really resented, because she was the victim. She didn't want her name to be associated with the person who was involved with the crime against her. She also didn't feel that people understood how seriously she was injured in the attack.

Her agent was doing his job by getting her those gigs while she was newsworthy, but he might not have taken into account what she felt like doing or felt able to do well.

Coco

Rotating while Russian!
Which was odd, since they were a couple or becoming a couple. Who knows when it started.

escaflowne9282

Reformed Manspreader
And I hate Disney venues too. $2 million isn’t enough to get me to Disney World especially in a public rah-rah role.

That is a perfectly respectable and reasonable position. You hate Disney and you would have said no.

However, Nancy signed a contract and was perfectly happy to collect a check. She then whined at how cheesy and corny everything was and how much she hated it. Meanwhile, she had to basically do nothing other than be professional for a few measly hours.

Nope.

Although to be fair, I did laugh at her medal ceremony comments.

Last edited:

tony

Throwing the (rule)book at them
Nancy to me, even from a very young age (literally elementary school) always came across as someone who didn’t really like showing emotion. In turn, everything became sarcastic (eye rolling, angsty statements, etc) or dramatic. 1993 Worlds, 1994 Olympics waiting for and on the podium, the Disney blunder, some of those early pro events that she was cashing in on (and CBS was pushing drama, such as being with Jerry Solomon), and finally the clip of her at 2000 Goodwill Games while watching Baiul land her 3Lz. I remember also Sandra Bezic really tore her apart for an appearance at a World Pros one season, and her skating wasn’t even that bad. Certainly not as bad as Baiul was in some years, for example.

She really went from the darling of the media to a semi-villain very quick, in big part by the hands of Scott Hamilton & the CBS team.

See here for the Baiul 3Lz reaction I referenced:

AngieNikodinovLove (ANL)

The Harem is now taking applications 😝
Expanding on what I have previously posted.

All threads are about Michelle Kwan, but some of the code words that are dead giveaways are:
  • Frank Carroll
  • Rafael Arutyunyan
  • Scott Williams
  • Tara Lipinski
  • Gracie Gold
  • Tonya Harding
  • Nancy Kerrigan
  • Denis Ten
  • Evan Lysacek
  • Carolina Kostner
  • Lori Nicol
  • Nicole Bobek
  • Sasha Cohen
  • Chen Lu
  • Irina Slutskaya
  • Maria Butyrskaya
  • Sarah Hughes
  • Anyone named Karen
  • Los Angeles
  • Southern California
  • Colorado
  • Utah
  • Rhode Island
  • Belize
  • Central America
  • snorkeling
  • politics
  • Hillary Clinton
  • Joe Biden
  • diplomacy
  • secret babies
  • Grand Prix
  • U.S. Nationals
  • World Figure Skating Championships
  • Olympics
  • coach
  • training
  • injury
  • interpretation
  • choreography
  • competition
  • spirals
  • jumps
  • ice
  • skating

I would add Lake arrowhead and ice castles skating rink

bardtoob

All threads are about Michelle Kwan, but some of the code words that are dead giveaways are:
  • Frank Carroll
  • Rafael Arutyunyan
  • Scott Williams
  • Tara Lipinski
  • Gracie Gold
  • Tonya Harding
  • Nancy Kerrigan
  • Denis Ten
  • Evan Lysacek
  • Carolina Kostner
  • Lori Nicol
  • Nicole Bobek
  • Sasha Cohen
  • Chen Lu
  • Irina Slutskaya
  • Maria Butyrskaya
  • Sarah Hughes
  • Anyone named Karen
  • Los Angeles
  • Southern California
  • Colorado
  • Utah
  • Rhode Island
  • Belize
  • Central America
  • snorkeling
  • politics
  • Hillary Clinton
  • Joe Biden
  • diplomacy
  • secret babies
  • Grand Prix
  • U.S. Nationals
  • Olympics
  • coach
  • training
  • injury
  • interpretation
  • choreography
  • competition
  • spirals
  • jumps
  • ice
  • skating

I would add Lake arrowhead and ice castles skating rink

You're talking ancient history here, pal. :yawn:
Junior Mints, the Color Purple, the name of anyone that quit group lessons with Frank Carroll in 1973 . . . and anyone or anything that convinces Michelle Kwan to interact with the skating world . . . as opposed to the whole world.

Last edited:

overedge

Mayor of Carrot City
However, Nancy signed a contract and was perfectly happy to collect a check. She then whined at how cheesy and corny everything was and how much she hated it. Meanwhile, she had to basically do nothing other than be professional for a few measly hours.

Her agent signed the contract. She flew there from Norway - no time off after the end of the Olympics. She was exhausted. And later her agent said, "If we had moved [the parade] a day, it would have been better. She would have been a little more rested." He realized in retrospect that he made mistakes in where he booked her.

kwanfan1818

RIP D-10
Which was odd, since they were a couple or becoming a couple. Who knows when it started.
Having met him when he was engaged to his first wife and was Ivan Lendl's agent, which wasn't that long before 1994, I'm not surprised at all that he had to realize his mistake in retrospect.

DynamicMutation

• Frank Carroll
  • Rafael Arutyunyan
  • Scott Williams
  • Tara Lipinski
  • Gracie Gold
  • Tonya Harding
  • Nancy Kerrigan
  • Denis Ten
  • Evan Lysacek
  • Carolina Kostner
  • Lori Nicol
  • Nicole Bobek
  • Sasha Cohen
  • Chen Lu
  • Irina Slutskaya
  • Maria Butyrskaya
  • Sarah Hughes
  • Anyone named Karen
  • Los Angeles
  • Southern California
  • Colorado
  • Utah
  • Rhode Island
  • Belize
  • Central America
  • snorkeling
  • politics
  • Hillary Clinton
  • Joe Biden
  • diplomacy
  • secret babies
  • Grand Prix
  • U.S. Nationals
  • Olympics
  • coach
  • training
  • injury
  • interpretation
  • choreography
  • competition
  • spirals
  • jumps
  • ice
  • skating
You forgot “the”

Foolhardy Ham Lint

Nancy to me, even from a very young age (literally elementary school) always came across as someone who didn’t really like showing emotion. In turn, everything became sarcastic (eye rolling, angsty statements, etc) or dramatic. 1993 Worlds, 1994 Olympics waiting for and on the podium, the Disney blunder, some of those early pro events that she was cashing in on (and CBS was pushing drama, such as being with Jerry Solomon), and finally the clip of her at 2000 Goodwill Games while watching Baiul land her 3Lz. I remember also Sandra Bezic really tore her apart for an appearance at a World Pros one season, and her skating wasn’t even that bad. Certainly not as bad as Baiul was in some years, for example.

She really went from the darling of the media to a semi-villain very quick, in big part by the hands of Scott Hamilton & the CBS team.

See here for the Baiul 3Lz reaction I referenced:
Having had the privilege of interviewing skaters in the mixed zone from time to time, competition aside, at the end of the day, the top athletes truly have tremendous respect for one another and the skills they demonstrate.

My favourite moment at last year's World Team Trophy in Tokyo, was watching Amber Glenn applaud rival Haein Lee during practice when the South Korean landed an impressive triple axel.

Hedwig

Antique member
That is a perfectly respectable and reasonable position. You hate Disney and you would have said no.

Nope.

Although to be fair, I did laugh at her medal ceremony comments.
did she whine publicy, though? I seem to remember that that was only when she thought the micro was off and it was a hot-mike moment?
I did not follow her and her skating so I might be remembering it wrong but I certainly would not blame someone to complain in private.

melanieg

Not just USFS - the networks that broadcast Nationals, Worlds and Olympics too. The focus on stories, fluff pieces, and "up close and personal" also feeds into gendered stereotypes and expectations.

Yep. They work hand in hand and take their shallow cues from each other.

Karina1974

She really went from the darling of the media to a semi-villain very quick, in big part by the hands of Scott Hamilton & the CBS team.[/URL]

FYI, Scott refused to do the voice over explanation of the scoring for the LP in Lillehammer. He felt it was a slam against Jan Hoffmann ("a former East German" says Vern in the voice-over), someone he had competed against, plus HE knew how it actually played out. He, and Christine Brennan in her book "Inside Edge," are the only two people I've ever seen give an accurate explanation.

LeafOnTheWind

did she whine publicy, though? I seem to remember that that was only when she thought the micro was off and it was a hot-mike moment?
I did not follow her and her skating so I might be remembering it wrong but I certainly would not blame someone to complain in private.
I'm pretty sure it was a moment she thought was in private. I don't think anyone in skating was used to that level of being followed with a camera and a microphone.

tony

Throwing the (rule)book at them
FYI, Scott refused to do the voice over explanation of the scoring for the LP in Lillehammer. He felt it was a slam against Jan Hoffmann ("a former East German" says Vern in the voice-over), someone he had competed against, plus HE knew how it actually played out. He, and Christine Brennan in her book "Inside Edge," are the only two people I've ever seen give an accurate explanation.
I think anyone who understood the scoring system knew that just because Hoffmann was the final judge on the panel, it didn’t mean he cast a deciding vote at the last minute. But yes, for the general public, he was the evil one.

moonvine

In an IG story today, Gracie included a post from someone who suggested that Gracie is neurodivergent but was given no tools to help her. I had been thinking the same thing reading her book. The lack of filter, the non-stop talking, the emotional dysregulation, the references to dopamine, the problems with time, focus, and operating without structure, and the sensory sensitivity all seem to be indications of that. And, there are some indications that she has rejection sensitivity dysphoria. She wasn't able to forgive herself for coming in fourth at Worlds. But, she also seemed to think that others were upset with her for that, and I'm not sure that really was the case. Maybe her mother really meant it when she told Gracie that fourth in the world was great, and it wasn't just platitudes. Maybe Frank and people at USFS genuinely were concerned about her.
I agree, especially when I was reading about the sensory sensitivity.

moonvine

Doesn't almost everyone here, at different levels, basically sit behind their screen and police reactions, police the skating, police the costuming and make-up, police Russian skaters for not fleeing the country, police what every other celebrity may or may not be doing, and so on? My eyes may be deceiving-- I'm getting older.

I am quite sure the reaction towards Bonaly's 'emotional breakdown' in 1994 was (edited for clarity) more of the same 'attitude', and she didn't even give anyone the finger on the podium ;)
I make an effort not to. I'm not paying thousands of dollars for their costumes, I'm not doing their makeup, I'm not paying for their choreography, their skating is the best they can do at that moment in time, they're entitled to feel however they feel. I must say I'm not always 100% successful but I do try.

dewey

I'm pretty sure it was a moment she thought was in private. I don't think anyone in skating was used to that level of being followed with a camera and a microphone.
I have no way of knowing. If this is true, but at the time of the Disney incident, I heard from an insider that Nancy’s Mom was just off camera/mike nagging her to wear her medal, do this, do that, etc. And that Nancy was not so much turned off by the event as she was annoyed by her Mom.

kwanfan1818

RIP D-10
It's not simply that Gracie Gold and Ashley Wagner didn't like each other very much or didn't get along.

I can understand why a book in process would still have the claim that Gold was the first and only US woman to win NHK in "About the Author," because Ava Marie Ziegler won at the end of November 2023, and, if book production is anything like it was when I worked in the industry, it was too late to fix without costing $$$$.

However, Ashley Wagner described her assault by John Coughlin in Summer 2019. On page 224 Gold writes that she does not think that SafeSport should have closed its investigation after Coughlin's suicide:
But without a conclusion to the investigation, there can be no real closure.

In the absence of definitive answers, I carry with me, like rocks in my pockets, weighty questions:
Was I best friends with a predator?
Were other women hurt by someone I dearly loved?...

She's asking the readers to believe her rape -- which I do -- although it wasn't investigated, for reasons she describes, and which I fully understand, but, if she still has those specific questions, that says to me that she hasn't taken the harm done to Wagner seriously.

Karina1974

I have no way of knowing. If this is true, but at the time of the Disney incident, I heard from an insider that Nancy’s Mom was just off camera/mike nagging her to wear her medal, do this, do that, etc. And that Nancy was not so much turned off by the event as she was annoyed by her Mom.
I know there is some fluff piece or other where she explains why she said what she said. I want to say it's the one they ran at the end of the Sochi Games for the 20th Anniversary of the attack.

VGThuy

I give Nancy Kerrigan a lot of grace for her post-Lillehammer behavior, including years after. She went through real trauma on top of being paraded and put in of public situations under pressure to make the most of her notoriety and strike while the iron was hot… making the most out of the notoriety that she personally hated.

But her family was also from a working class blue-collar background, and there were probably financial pressures there too as we know how expensive skating is; it’s just that the Kerrigan background got dwarfed due to her “rivalry” with Tonya, who was from a seriously harsher background and a more openly dysfunctional family situation* where Tonya clearly had no support or stable foundation to fall back on where the figure skating establishment had hardly seen before (and since), which informed the way the USFS[A] badly dealt with her.

Then, she fell in love with an agent who though I’m sure does love her (and they’re still together), he’s still a sports agent and is always thinking about ways to maximize opportunities and money making avenues for his athlete-client. His husband side was the side that admitted he should have given Nancy at least a day or so before doing the parade and other public things.

Add that she’s already more of an introverted type person who seems uncomfortable with public displays of emotion or even providing any insight into her thought processes… you’re going to have somebody vulnerable to be exploited on camera as they catch a “difficult” person behaving very unfriendly or at least tv friendly.

I also don’t know why Nancy had to be brought up in response to Oksana being brought up and spoken about. This isn’t some competition where making one skater seem “worse” will make her “rival” look better.

*later we see the Kerrigan family having issues of their own that aren’t as uncommon as one thinks.

Re: Surya, I didn’t like her behavior at 1994 Worlds because she made it seem like Yuka Sato, only the second Japanese woman and third woman of East Asian descent to win Worlds wasn’t a worthy world champion when Yuka skated very well, landed like 5 or 6 triples, had great fast and centered spins showing a variety of positions, and had some of the best skating skills in the history of women’s skating. But at least Yuka gave Surya grace; in her Manleywoman interview, when asked how she felt when Surya was was openly upset and defiant, Yuka said she just felt bad for Surya because she understood what Surya was feeling and knows disappointment herself.

Last edited:

Trillian

But at least Yuka gave Surya grace; in her Manleywoman interview, when asked how she felt when Surya was was openly upset and defiant, Yuka said she just felt bad for Surya because she understood what Surya was feeling and knows disappointment herself.

Surya seems to be a genuinely nice person who is on great terms with a lot of the women who were her major competitive rivals. In the end, the fact that she’s so well-liked has always made me assume that she was more sportsmanlike in most interactions than that one incident might suggest.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information