Gracie Gold Joins Ice Den Figure Skating Coaching Staff (threads merged)

jenniferlyon

2-Time U.S Champion and Olympian Gracie Gold Joins Ice Den Figure Skating Coaching Staff

http://www.icedenscottsdale.com/news_article/show/885212

The Ice Den is proud to announce that two-time U.S. Champion (2014, 2016) and Olympian (2014) Gracie Gold has joined its professional figure skating coaching staff. Gold joins the largest coaching staff in the state, with over 50 talented coaches including fellow Olympians Steven Cousins and Naomi Lang.

aml78

icenetwork reporter to Grace Gold will be coaching the Ice Den in Arizona. There are no quotes from her, except an old one stating she would like to coach when she’s done competing.

Firstly, what lucky kids that get her as a coach.

Second, should we take this as an unofficial retirement move? I believe her treatment center was in AZ so perhaps she wants to be close by while she still receives treatment for a bit. But it does feel like this is her way of moving on from competitive skating.

I feel so bittersweet about it. Above everything I want her to be happy and healthy but I was selfishly holding onto hope that we would see her compete again. Not sure I can handle all of the retirements coming after this quad ends!

Rafter

Good luck to Gracie.

I didn’t realize Steven Cousins was in Arizona. I guess his children with Elena B are in Russia?

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, T&M, P&C
@jenniferlyon, would you like to add Arizona to your thread title? :)

This was posted in the U.S. Ladies thread but it makes sense to give the news its own thread since I've seen a few articles today about it... here's a local one:
https://www.azcentral.com/story/spo...-gracie-gold-joining-ice-den-staff/325365002/

I agree with Sylvia. Not many people know where Ice Den is.

This is soooo exciting! Gracie Gold coaching in Scottsdale is going to be really good for the Ice Den. The number of students- young girls especially- is going to increase dramatically. Gracie will be loved here.

From what I heard, sunshine uplifts the spirits. That could help depression too, in a small way. We hardly ever have cloudy, rainy days. Summers are harsh but she can go to a cooler place during that time.

I am a little disappointed that she is stepping away from competition but she knows what is best for her.

Many good wishes to Gracie. I hope she will be happy and successful in her new career as a coach.

BittyBug

Disgusted
At the conclusion of nationals, Gracie tweeted something that more or less said that she was inspired by the competition and was motivated to return to skating, so it's possible that she intends to coach and train; certainly other top-level skaters do both. However, despite that vast staff that includes Olympic athletes, Ice Den does not appear to have any top competitive coaches with extensive experience bringing skaters to major international competitions, so if I had to bet I'd say she's not planning to return to competition at this time. JMO, and I would love to be wrong and see her and Doug Razzano (who seems to be quickly earning his stripes as a coach) in the kiss and cry.

But regarless of Gold's future plans, I hope she is able to find purpose and meaning in whatever she pursues, and that she will return to and remain in good health.

aml78

I think if she wants to return it won’t be for a year or so. It seems like she has a lot of healing to do before she can even decide if that’s right. Maybe in the future if her health and mind are there. A loss for the sport on the competitive side but perhaps a HUGE gain for future athletes.

Spun Silver

I agree with Sylvia. Not many people know where Ice Den is.

This is soooo exciting! Gracie Gold coaching in Scottsdale is going to be really good for the Ice Den. The number of students- young girls especially- is going to increase dramatically. Gracie will be loved here.

From what I heard, sunshine uplifts the spirits. That could help depression too, in a small way. We hardly ever have cloudy, rainy days. Summers are harsh but she can go to a cooler place during that time.

I am a little disappointed that she is stepping away from competition but she knows what is best for her.

Many good wishes to Gracie. I hope she will be happy and successful in her new career as a coach.
Is Scottsdale close enough to you that you could ever go watch sessions, @Vash01?

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, T&M, P&C
Is Scottsdale close enough to you that you could ever go watch sessions, @Vash01?

Scottsdale is almost like a suburb. The Phoenix metro area has many other cities in it, like Tempe, Scottsdale, Glendale, Chandler, and many others.

Although the Ice Den is about 25-30 miles from my home, I can drive there easily. I drive longer for my oil painting class on Saturdays. :)

Sylvia

TBD
I can't change the thread title. Or else I am too dumb to figure out how to do it.
I don't know if titles can be modified in merged threads? You can try by following my instructions here: https://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/threads/could-someone-change-my-thread-title.102477/#post-5219345

I'm not an Admin. here so don't have that power. :)

ETA:
should we take this as an unofficial retirement move?
Not necessarily. I think it's a good sign she wants to keep a connection to skating by coaching. Only time will tell.

Last edited:

Laura4

Best of luck to Gracie. Did Naomi Lang divorce the guy who proposed to her on ice (sorry, his name escapes me)? I just noticed she is now going by the name Naomi Lang Strong on social media.

giselle23

icenetwork reporter to Grace Gold will be coaching the Ice Den in Arizona. There are no quotes from her, except an old one stating she would like to coach when she’s done competing.

Firstly, what lucky kids that get her as a coach.

Second, should we take this as an unofficial retirement move? I believe her treatment center was in AZ so perhaps she wants to be close by while she still receives treatment for a bit. But it does feel like this is her way of moving on from competitive skating.

I feel so bittersweet about it. Above everything I want her to be happy and healthy but I was selfishly holding onto hope that we would see her compete again. Not sure I can handle all of the retirements coming after this quad ends!

It might be wishful thinking, but I don't think this means she is moving on. She is keeping her connection with skating and will have ice time available for herself if she wants it. Many coaches continue to compete, though typically at the adult level.

GreatLakesGal

I believe her treatment center was in AZ so perhaps she wants to be close by while she still receives treatment for a bit. But it does feel like this is her way of moving on from competitive skating.

This makes the most sense to me--i.e., that she's coaching in AZ because that's where she's been, and probably still is, receiving treatment. Perhaps she and her treatment team feel this is a low stress way to get back into skating and help her decide if she wants to continue with it as a coach or do something else entirely.

I think it's very unlikely that she will return to competitive figure skating herself.

Spun Silver

It might be wishful thinking, but I don't think this means she is moving on. She is keeping her connection with skating and will have ice time available for herself if she wants it. Many coaches continue to compete, though typically at the adult level.
I see it as her dipping her toe back in. She has to do something while she recovers and clearly her heart is still with skating.

Yazmeen

All we are saying, is give peace a chance
Best of luck to Gracie. Did Naomi Lang divorce the guy who proposed to her on ice (sorry, his name escapes me)? I just noticed she is now going by the name Naomi Lang Strong on social media.

Her Facebook page says she's married to Jeffrey Strong, so I guess she and Mark divorced.

paskatefan

Good for Gracie! Glad she will keep involved with the sport!
Doesn't/Didn't Ben Agosto coach @ the Ice Den?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information