Gracie Gold in treatment for eating disorder, depression

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lilia A

I'm sorry Gracie is going through this. Depression hurts and it's hard to kill. I'm glad she's looking after her health and safety. Most importantly, I'm glad she's talking about it, so maybe she can inspire those who are struggling to also seek treatment. It's not easy to admit that something is wrong when it comes to mental health, so it always helps to know that you're not alone and there's help out there. (((Gracie)))

quartz

scratching at the light
I really feel for this young woman. To have to deal with these issues is stressful and all consuming in itself, and then to have to put it out publicly as well is a whole other level of stress. Acknowledging the problem is a huge step towards recovery and healing. ((((Hugs to Gracie))))

MsZem

I see the sea
I'm glad that Gracie has shared this update. There is still so much stigma around mental health issues; it's good that she feels that she can acknowledge what she's dealing with, and I hope others who are struggling will be encouraged by her example to seek help.

Gracie was never my favorite skater, but if she decides that she wants to return to competitive skating, I'll definitely be rooting for her. And regardless of what path she chooses to pursue, I hope she'll find happiness.

Braulio

Tuning up my Body of Work
So sorry for Gracie

Hope she can recover of this and gets all the support to keep moving forward and find her inner strenght and force, skating is a part of her life, she has accomplished much more than many others so I hope she can focus on what lies ahead in her life beyond figure skating and that all the wisdom out of this spreads throughout her life forever and ever

If she is ok and prepared coming January great, but if she isn't it's ok too, she already has an Olympic Medal to her credit so no need to rush

jenniferlyon

So sorry for Gracie

Hope she can recover of this and gets all the support to keep moving forward and find her inner strenght and force, skating is a part of her life, she has accomplished much more than many others so I hope she can focus on what lies ahead in her life beyond figure skating and that all the wisdom out of this spreads throughout her life forever and ever

If she is ok and prepared coming January great, but if she isn't it's ok too, she already has an Olympic Medal to her credit so no need to rush

Yeah, I hope Gracie isn't under outside pressure to come back before she's ready.

Japanfan

I've never been a fan, but I'm sad for Gracie, and hope she focuses completely on getting well again.

I always got the feeling that TPTB were chomping at the bit to crown Gracie the next American ice princess. She is so pretty, blonde and feminine, and hence well-suited to that particular box if she could skate to potential. I'm reminded of Sasha Cohen, who seemingly embraced the ice princess role with positions that were never less that picture-perfect.

Gracie was so close to being at the very top, and the pressure on her must have been enormous. It's not surprising that she developed an ED, as food is one thing that a person can control amidst so many other things that a person cannot control - like falling on the ice, or competing against a perfect competitor with a higher base mark.

And I too questioned whether her heart was really into skating.

Kateri

void beast
I wish her all the best for her health and happiness.

I'd like to leave it at that, but I'm just so angry for her. I know it's not as simple to say "x caused y" with this kind of thing, but this felt inevitable to me, and has for a long time. I could never have coped with the way fans and US media treated her, the weight of expectation and the frenzied shredding of every flaw. I've really never seen anything like it. She deserved so much better than this.

skatefan

Home in England
:fragile:

I have been a fan of Gracie ever since I first saw her skate at around age 14/15 and it has saddened me greatly to see so much potential and talent not being allowed to flourish in its own time rather than being controlled, pushed and hyped. I wish her all the best for a full recovery and a healthy future whatever she decides to do.

Last edited:

Garden Kitty

Tranquillo
Kudos to her for admitting her struggles Perhaps her story will help encourage other people who are struggling with depression or eating disorders to seek help. Knowing someone as popular and talented as Gracie can be affected may help other young girls realize there shouldn't be a stigma.

And I wish Gracie all the best and hope the treatment helps her get to a place of peace and happiness.

Maximillian

RIP TA
Though, I knew this was coming, I'm still very sad reading it to be true. I didn't expect Gracie to compete this season, but at the same time I was sort of in denial/hoping that perchance my suspicisons/the rumours weren't true. Gracie was (after Mirai) my favorite skater and I just loved watching her skate, those big beautiful jumps and the gorgeous basics, speed and edge work, she really has/had it all. Of course, seflishly I would love to see her come back, but if she hasn't she already accomplished enough and her FS at Nats. 2016 was a moment she can always cherish. Sorry to sound so contrived, but I really liked this skater and I hate to think she's in pain.

Last edited:

Rock2

There are so many things to unpack here. The best part of all of it is that Gracie and her team are diagnosing root causes as well as the problem and seeking to fix it. That's a huge relief and I know we all wish her well. Health first!

Some on here have said they didn't see this coming. I think the signs were there from her first GP event in Canada which was a disaster. To be successful in this and most sports, you need talent, drive/hard work and the ability to handle being in the spotlight, which means preferably you have to be the type to enjoy the big stage. Missing one of these 3 key ingredients can completely undo your career trajectory and for Gracie the 3rd one was a problem.
We're seeing it in Canada right now with tennis player Eugenie Bouchard. Sponsors throwing millions at her to be visible when she in fact hates the attention and would just like to play tennis without care of who's watching. It's so in her head right now, her career might be ruined quite soon without ever getting off the ground. Contrast that to 18-year old up and coming male Denis Shapovalov who plays his best when millions are watching. Put him on an outside court and take him off TV and he's completely average. It needs to be in your makeup and is hard to teach.

Many comments about a cruel sport and there is truth but it's not unique to skating. Remember this is a sport...and yes being thin and pretty looks good on magazine covers so there's a certain benefit; but regardless of your sport you are given direction to shape your body type, weight, strength and a bunch of things to perform optimally. Every skater is assessed to have target metrics in size, weight, strength and it's up to them to use the support around them and their own devices to get there productively and safely. Most of them can. I point to Adam Rippon as an example. I said here about five years ago that his body type isn't perfect for jumping (bigger booty makes for great layback though!) and his SS aren't the best, so he needed to lose at leave 5 lbs and get leaner and fitter. I caught so much hell for that. But you know what, he did it and his skating has improved immensely. And many many other athletes do this, too!

The breakdowns happen when your natural body type isn't perfectly suited to the sport and/or you are pre-disposed to issues of control or anxiety and other things right from the get go, which can take you off a constructive path to getting you to the physical place you need to be. This was the narrative we heard from Mary Beth Marley. Yes, she needed to be light and small for Rockne to work with her. But her body type isn't naturally tiny (short but not tiny)...AND...she walked into the sport with some mental instability in terms of how she managed the process. So she didn't get there safely and properly, and eventually the issues came to a head and she had to leave the sport.

My point is, don't blame the sport entirely, but recognize that not everyone's mental and physical makeup can get every body where it needs to be the right way. All athletes will be told to gain or lose, or build or shred etc....and we shouldn't fear that because it's for legitimate reasons tied to success in the sport. The battle cry is to make sure support systems and processes are in place to catch and redirect those who can't (or don't want to!) get there on their own.

Gracie has needed this for awhile and I'm glad the help has arrived in seemingly-full force before any consequences of tragedy.

Last edited:

overedge

Mayor of Carrot City
@Rock2 I agree with most of what you say, but I never got the impression that Gracie preferred not to have attention. I don't mean that in a critical way, just that to me she seemed (at least initially) to be comfortable in the spotlight. Other skaters at elite levels didn't have as many sponsors as she did, and those wouldn't have come to an athlete without a strong public image.

IMO the hype that was put upon her as the "next one", plus the expectations and commitments that go with sponsorships, made a very unhealthy situation that would have been difficult for anyone to thrive in.

Vagabond

Some on here have said they didn't see this coming.
Gold's former coach, Frank Carroll said right after Nationals last season that she was depressed.

Signs of depression include:
  • Persistent sad, anxious, or “empty” mood
  • Feelings of hopelessness, or pessimism
  • Irritability
  • Feelings of guilt, worthlessness, or helplessness
  • Loss of interest or pleasure in hobbies and activities
  • Decreased energy or fatigue
  • Moving or talking more slowly
  • Feeling restless or having trouble sitting still
  • Difficulty concentrating, remembering, or making decisions
  • Difficulty sleeping, early-morning awakening, or oversleeping
  • Appetite and/or weight changes
  • Thoughts of death or suicide, or suicide attempts
  • Aches or pains, headaches, cramps, or digestive problems without a clear physical cause and/or that do not ease even with treatment
https://www.nimh.nih.gov/health/topics/depression/index.shtml

While I think it was inappropriate for Carroll to divulge such personal information about his student, I also think it was inappropriate for people to scoff at what he said and claim that only a physician could make such a determination. Carroll was very well placed to observe the signs.

Zazy

My point is, don't blame the sport entirely, but recognize that not everyone's mental and physical makeup can get every body where it needs to be the right way. All athletes will be told to gain or lose, or build or shred etc....and we shouldn't fear that because it's for legitimate reasons tied to success in the sport. The battle cry is to make sure support systems and processes are in place to catch and redirect those who can't (or don't want to!) get their on their own.

Obviously the sport is not solely to blame for eating disorders but that doesn't mean we shouldn't look long and hard at what it does to contribute to the problem. You can't compare the discussions around weight in skating to most other sports, a speedskater or volleyball player needs to be fit but they aren't widely encouraged to be underweight. I'm only a fan but from what I've seen of the skating world, I'd be very surprised if the majority of competitive skaters didn't end up with a messed up relationship with food. And a lot more eating disorders than end up being publicly discussed. I remember Jenny Kirk wrote a piece where she talked about how widespread it was, and how on a SOI tour with a bunch of very accomplished retired skaters, everyone had a dysfunctional relationship with food.

It's a problem in skating culture and one that needs to be discussed. If we always view eating disorders as isolated incidents, skaters who simply couldn't cope with the pressure, then nothing will be done.

Finnice

The good news is she is getting treatment. But I dislike the comments of coming back stronger. I know this is a common language formula, but please, she can be fragile and still be loved and respected.

Akiko Suzuki is a great example of a comeback after ED. Love and kudos to her. But we should not think that ED and depression are learning or growing experiences for Gracie Gold. They might be part of her life forever.

I will be cheering loud of she decides to compete again. Mostly I hope she feels loved and happy without any more medals or honours, just being herself. She, like all of us, is worth it.

Braulio

Tuning up my Body of Work
I think the experience at Worlds 2016 was the ultimate for her and way too much pressure to handle and after 'failing' and IN FRONT of her homecrowd it was surely devastating, the echoes of that 'loss' carried indeed to last season that she was a shadow of herself

And sorry but if she can recover (that I hope) of this and anything it is a experience in life and as a person, spirit and phisically you become stronger, maybe it's 'common language' as you say but she surely can feel proud of herself after everything settles down and she continues with her life beyond skating, she should feel proud and strong that had love and caring around her and that the important thing in life is to rise despite anything and that it's ok to ask for help, be helped and learn

In My Opinion of course

MsZem

I see the sea
While I think it was inappropriate for Carroll to divulge such personal information about his student, I also think it was inappropriate for people to scoff at what he said and claim that only a physician could make such a determination. Carroll was very well placed to observe the signs.
As I recall, most people who took issue with Carroll's conduct criticized him for sharing private information and for making a spectacle of throwing her jacket away, not for being an amateur diagnostician. I get that Carroll has had difficult experiences with skaters in the past, but putting the spotlight like that on young person who was already struggling was out of line, and he should have known better. I hope it didn't exacerbate Gracie's problems.

arakwafan2006

I almost hope she does not even trying for the Olympics unless she really wants to. The past two years have been a nightmare for her. She deserves to be well, inside and out. There is footage of her which should make her cry tears of pride. She was not some bad skater. She wasn't even some skater that just fell apart. She was learning and on a wonderful trajectory in her sport. She's also on one for life as well. I hope more than anything that she learns how to be strong, how gifted and strong she is, how powerful she is and that there is way more to life than skating. Then, maybe she can skate again and love what she does.

Life is a BITCH to all of us. Having to go through life in front of people that are supposed to judge you only makes it worse when things to wrong.

mag

It's a problem in skating culture and one that needs to be discussed. If we always view eating disorders as isolated incidents, skaters who simply couldn't cope with the pressure, then nothing will be done.

This! I also think these kinds of comments are dangerous:

"I point to Adam Rippon as an example. I said here about five years ago that his body type isn't perfect for jumping (bigger booty makes for great layback though!) and his SS aren't the best, so he needed to lose at leave 5 lbs and get leaner and fitter. I caught so much hell for that. But you know what, he did it and his skating has improved immensely. And many many other athletes do this, too!" (@Rock2)

There is absolutely no evidence that one, Adam lost 5 lbs, you can't tell that by looking, or two, that if he did, that it is what helped his skating. There are just way too many variables involved to make that kind of assumption. Correlation and coincidence do not equal causation.

Unfortunately looking thinner is almost always seen as "good" and looking like you may have gained weight is almost always seen as "bad." The reality is that neither are either inherently good or bad and what people see is not always reality. Figure skating is a sport that requires a strong body and a strong mind. Both require training and a science based approach to work at optimum levels. The physicality required by today's skaters as well as the mental fortitude (they are so much more available through social media) is so much more than in the past. Old school approaches like just lose 10 lbs and it will help your jumps or help your partner lift you, belong in the past. Do we not remember Tanith Belbin?

I am so glad Gracie is getting the help she needs and that she has the inner strength to go public with her struggles. She is an inspiration and a treasure to the skating community!

mag

I almost hope she does not even trying for the Olympics unless she really wants to. The past two years have been a nightmare for her. She deserves to be well, inside and out. There is footage of her which should make her cry tears of pride. She was not some bad skater. She wasn't even some skater that just fell apart. She was learning and on a wonderful trajectory in her sport. She's also on one for life as well. I hope more than anything that she learns how to be strong, how gifted and strong she is, how powerful she is and that there is way more to life than skating. Then, maybe she can skate again and love what she does.

Life is a BITCH to all of us. Having to go through life in front of people that are supposed to judge you only makes it worse when things to wrong.

And if she was some "bad skater" or a "skater that just fell apart" that would make her less deserving of being "well, inside and out"?

I am fairly sure that is not what you meant, but words matter.

Rock2

I think the experience at Worlds 2016 was the ultimate for her and way too much pressure to handle and after 'failing' and IN FRONT of her homecrowd it was surely devastating, the echoes of that 'loss' carried indeed to last season that she was a shadow of herself

ITA. I think the foundations of her issues showed themselves before Boston, but based on what we can see from the outside, it looks like Boston was a huge turning point. She was the highest placing Olympian from Sochi who didn't retire so on paper the door was hers to walk through to take her place on the throne. Missing a medal in Boston could have been the moment where she might have felt that her career had peaked and was heading in the wrong direction. And that's tough mentally to take I'm sure.

It was a big moment for sure.

arakwafan2006

And if she was some "bad skater" or a "skater that just fell apart" that would make her less deserving of being "well, inside and out"?

I am fairly sure that is not what you meant, but words matter.

Do you think that's what the hell i meant? If you do, YOU'RE not well inside or out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information