Gilles and Poirier Cheer Thread

firstflight

I love their FD but was distracted by the costume for both of them. Piper's full length sleeves made it look too frumpy and there's so much black in Paul's that the suspenders get lost. I'm guessing they're literally going for "black and white TV" for their film noir program. But, I think Jessica Rabbit would be so much more appropriate for Piper, especially given what the intense ending suggests about the characters they're playing.

cocotaffy

Fetchez la vache... mais fetchez la vache !
I finally got around to watch their Cup of Russia FD performance. Beforehand I had read many comments stating this dance just doesn't work and is a snooze fest. While I can understand the comments on the music not being engaging enough, I found myself really admiring the intricacy of their choreography with some real difficult moves but yet fitting the program. Their twizzles sequences is quite difficult, going back and forth with some striking positions. I don't get their scores tbh. I don't see the difference between them and Stepanova/Bukin who did skate very well though.
Sure, I prefer their Hitchcock, a brilliant piece of work, but I like the originality here too, maybe a bit too subdued. They could rework the music edits.

Last edited:

nimi

Yay! Congrats to P2 for 1) finally making it to Olys and 2) skating two sharp & solid programs there!

I've been avoiding talking about P2 in the general forum because of all the inevitable derisive comments ("Piper can't skate / they rely solely on quirk / Carol Lane said some banal, self-evident thing on TV and now let me rant about how that is her being unreasonable and despicable and pushing pro-G/P narrative and also G/P are bad and should feel bad") that will follow, but I've been so nervous for my sentimental faves and wanting them to do well..
and now I'm happy that they can be happy with their programs and the way they skated them! :cheer:

cocotaffy

Fetchez la vache... mais fetchez la vache !
Congrats to Piper and Paul, much better than their Perry Mason even though I wish they could have captured again the voidiness of their Hitchcock or their 2016 FD. I love strange Piper and Paul. Her dress was absolutely gorgeous. I hope the next quad will be their time to rise.

nimi

I hope the next quad will be their time to rise.
Yeah, sooooo many 8th places...

But I try not to worry about placements going into Milan and the next quad and remember these wise words by Meagan:
For all the ice dancers competing today: Please don’t allow the numbers awarded to you by judges determine your value as skaters. Hold onto the feeling of happiness and pride you have in your ending position to tell you if you are a winner or not. #onlyyouknowifyouarewinning
I just really want them to keep being them.

AngieNikodinovLove (ANL)

The Harem is now taking applications 😝
How pissed is ANL that after NBCSN stopped and then when it switched to NBC one dance team wasnt shown... MY BOYFRIEND....

UGggg. these Olys........

barbk

Piper/Paul and Sara/Kirill are the two ice dance couples I'm most looking forward to seeing develop this next quad. Thoroughly enjoyable. (And I hope that Canada re-qualifies 3 for Worlds 2019 and that Spain manages to get to 2 for Worlds 2019.)

Debrah

Thrilled by how well Piper and Paul skated this week and how much their FD has evolved even since CTN. Great costuming, innovative choreo yet again, wonderful performance skills- check, check, check = I absolutely LOVED the BOND 2.0 FD! I do believe they won hearts and minds of the in house AND TV/live Stream audience; now crossing my fingers that with a little more work they can WIN over the judge's at World's...

kates8

Absolutely thrilled for them to have that positive Olympic experience! So did NBC ever end up showing their FreeDance? I can’t view the link, but sounds like they interviewed them and would be a shame if they didn’t show their performance

AngieNikodinovLove (ANL)

^^^^ No.. was the ONLY dance they didnt show... MY BOYFRIEND!!

When NBCSN transitioned the rest of dance on to NBC they fell in that gap and ANL was none too happy.....

Debrah

On the positive side, Bond 3.0 will likely be that much MORE EXCITING, FRESH due to heightened ANTICIPATION! NBC may have done them a favor, because now every one in USA will want to know exactly what they missed, LOL!

Piper and Paul have a UNIQUE identity; known for INNOVATIVE, AVANT-GARDE choreography, with WIDE-RANGING FD program styles that effectively showcase their VERSATILITY as performer's! My expectation for Bond 3'0 is that it will be that much better performed and scored at World's in Milan, due to feedback rec'd, esp., as they grow more comfortable with the FD.

It's my hope that American audiences can finally see for themselves how much FUN, ENJOYMENT this great and much improved Canadian team now brings to the world stage!

Piper and Paul = IMAGINATIVE ARTISTRY, EXCELLANT MUSICALITY blended with HIGH OCTANE ATHLETICISM and always delivered with the corresponding EMOTIONAL PASSION and INTENSITY that sell's the chosen style!

We can follow their FD progression from 2011/12"s - Pure imagination https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Okbh1mO2Xcs, 2012/13 - Wild Spirits https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OWBkeM0ZqdA , 2013/14 - Hitchcock https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2HsaPum7TMw , 2014/15 - Street car named desire https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dq89GKpy1KU , 2015/16 - Saudade https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bkAlh3n0Eko, 2016/17 - Con Buena Onda tango https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w67w7__Puxw, and 2017/18 season we had Perry Mason film noir https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-NNbrhQqXto that has morphed and eventually evolved into the Bond FD we saw at the Olympics's https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0LT_fuMsyiY (1st 5 min followed by W/P and Shibs, P/C and Virtue/Moir - watch and download this vid while you still can, LOL).

They have placed in the top 10 at the world championships for four consecutive years, and with their Olympic 8th place result they have shown they DO have what it takes to be among the best ice dancer's in the world. I am looking forward to what they can produce in Milan...

AngieNikodinovLove (ANL)

Piper and Paul have a UNIQUE identity; known for INNOVATIVE, AVANT-GARDE choreography, with WIDE-RANGING FD program styles that effectively showcase their VERSATILITY as performer's! My expectation for Bond 3'0 is that it will be that much better performed and scored at World's in Milan, due to feedback rec'd, esp., as they grow more comfortable with the FD.

AGREED 1000% Sister.

them and Guignard & Fabbri have all my attention atm.

Debrah

Yep. G&F of Italy, another very talented team who have suffered from low ball scoring this past season. I expect them to profit from the retirement of C&L, much the same as our Canadian teams will, with the retirement of Virtue/Moir... It will be pleasant for all these up and coming teams to be riding IN the bus to worlds, rather than being thrown under it and dragged, lol!

Xiaoxue

Congrats on a successful Olympics, Gilles and Poirier! Really enjoyed watching these two on TV. Now I want to rewatch everything of theirs since 2014. I guess I've become a fan!

~tapdancer~

Knees won't let me tap dance anymore
Finally had to chance to see Piper and Paul's Oly FD, that was really good! Much better music and they gave it their all. Paul is a great Bond, lol, and Piper was lovely. Although, the dress was a little hmmm for me. Looked too big on her. But they were beautiful and I'm happy they were happy!

AngieNikodinovLove (ANL)

Can I just say while some dont like their SD music, that I have downloaded both pieces of music they skate to in that SD!!!

Different, interesting, catchy. At least for me!!!!

I want to cuddle him so much. LOL Ill be the big spoon.

Last edited:

kates8

They made some brave decisions during a very stressful and long year that have really paid off! Kudos and congratulations to this amazing team

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information