Gilles and Poirier Cheer Thread

Emdee

Silver medal at skate Canada.....well done.
There were mistakes in the short but the long is much improved. Piper is much improved over last year as well.

clarie

They've never been my favs but I enjoyed that tonight..I'm thinking they will do well with both their programs this year.

snoopy

I loved loved loved their FD. Some of the comments in the SC thread say they only looked at Paul. Not me, I thought Piper was way engaging. Who choreographed this piece? I must fangirl them.

museksk8r

Holding an edge and looking dangerously sexy
Piper & Paul always have the BEST free dances! It's a good thing too because the SD often finds them down in the standings. I hope they are able to remedy that problem soon! These two are always so entertaining and exciting; it's a real treat to watch them! I wish them a terrific season!! :cheer2::encore:

Debrah

I seriously can't believe how far both programs have come since their Ontario summer/fall Autum Classic debuts! I was not a fan of either program at first view, but could see the difficulty within and felt they could score bi, if skated clean, but they lacked emotional impact for me then. But having watched SCI, I am now a huge, huge believer in BOTH programs; as Piper and Paul really DANCED, and brought that special something to their SCI performances, that had been missing from the earlier efforts. I would still like a FD costume change for Piper, but that is a minor nitpick since I understand why the dress was chosen as it fits the era, my problem is it doesn't do her any favors and there are other period styles that might work better. I don't have an issue with the SD Cape the way other's do, as I being a lady of a certain age actually understand the T/D costume reference and their desire to pay homage to their choreographer.

It seems G/P are taking a page from the playbook of Scott and Tessa. What do I mean? Well, when fans first saw V/M's Seasons performed, it left most of us worried and anxious and underwhelmed, yet by the time Sochi rolled around, both programs were simply jaw dropping/stunning, due to the attention to detail, incredible talent and musicality of the dancers! I think it will be much the same response and trajectory for Piper and Paul this season, both programs being so technically difficult, jam packed with content, but using concepts that might be tougher for younger fans, to really 'relate to,' because they simply don't have the historical hindsight/ skating perspectives that we older fans do. IMO, both new programs are gems in the making, they simply need more polishing, costume adjustments, to make them really sparkle, and extra miles on them to really bring up the scores!

I had been worried that the new France and Russia teams, might especially be able to impact/dampen G/P's ranking, but now, I have to say, I am no longer as concerned. I am actually hopeful that the Canadian teams can continue to grow and rise up to new challenges and overtake those teams currently ranked above, indeed even carry the day over the newly hyped/politiked teams, or older teams with strong support, as well as those hoping to break into the top 10.

I learned a good lesson from watching Paradis/Ouellete, that while one can really, really love or admire a specific program due to wonderful, flaw hiding, superb choreo, that is being really well performed and timed to the music perfectly, the actual FD while creating emotional responses from fans, may still be quite simple in terms of the steps, turns; or the skating is still perhaps somewhat less powerful or speedy, the edges less deep, say in comparison, to other's whose programs, don't cause us to buzz, or actually touch one emotionally. It may be moot till the lower ranked senior Canadian dance teams like P/O, or the breakout new talented juniors being developed get a chance to dance at worlds, esp., if Tessa and Scott, do decide to come back for another kick at the can.

After all, the judges are supposed to grade only the actual skating, they are not supposed to be unduly influenced by what they personally like or don't in terms of programs. Still, human nature being what it is, I suppose a certain amount of preference, does indeed get through to the marks. Hence, while I think Dubreuil's brilliant choreo will indeed continue to help the cause of the French, Danish, and Spanish Teams, it may not raise them as high as I thought was likely at the very beginning of the season. Time will tell of course, but I think at worst case Piper and Paul will maintain their current world rank, but given the rate of improvement from Autumn Classic to SCI, I think we can expect the overall marks to be much, much higher than SCI, even if the competition field is much, much, deeper at the next GP, than it was at SC! Go TEAM!

BlueRidge

AYS's snark-sponge
hey anyone have a link to their FD that can be viewed in the US? I can't find one!

I have been a Piper fan since she was dancing in juniors. This is one of the best pairings that has happened as far as I'm concerned.

LOVE the FD!

Emdee

Congratulations on their SD result.
I haven't been able to see the comp but I did see the results.

aftershocks

Banned Member
Yes, G/P are making wonderful progress. I thought it possible they might pull ahead of the French team in the sd at TEB, but P/C are skating at home, and were given the edge.

Hanna

Skating junkie
Piper and Paul are now officially my "skaters I'd want to hang out for a day with". The good sense of humor in their ISU bios along with the way Piper kept jamming away all through the medal ceremony, I just get the feeling that they're fun people. :lol:

kwanoverrated

Banned Member
They skated well and I am happy for them having a good season, but I did find them a bit overscored. I don't think they are so much better than Paul & Islam as the scores suggest and while it makes me happy for G&P, it makes me very sad for P&I who must be majorly deflated by now.

I also though H&D were better in the SD and should have come ahead in that phase, but G&P had the better FD so probably would have passed them anyway.

PashaFan

Piper and Paul are now officially my "skaters I'd want to hang out for a day with". The good sense of humor in their ISU bios along with the way Piper kept jamming away all through the medal ceremony, I just get the feeling that they're fun people. :lol:
I love watching them skate but I have to be honest I think Piper would do my head in if I had to spend the day with her.
She need to tone down the over the top smiles & dancing when receiving marks or medals.
And yes, before you say it, I'm a very grumpy person ;)

Hanna

Skating junkie
I love watching them skate but I have to be honest I think Piper would do my head in if I had to spend the day with her.
She need to tone down the over the top smiles & dancing when receiving marks or medals.
And yes, before you say it, I'm a very grumpy person ;)
To each their own I guess. :lol: For me it was a welcome change to the formalities.

lauravvv

No, she doesn't need to change anything about her personality and/or her behavior just because you say so :rolleyes:. People are different and they have a right to be, and that's completely normal. You don't have to spend time with her or people like her if you can't bear that type of behavior.

I can see that I probably come across as a bit oversensitive here, and I am not even a Gilles/Poirier fan (also I do like their programs). What I don't like and am sensitive to is the idea that people have to fit some mould and/or that there is a right kind of behavior for every situation.

PashaFan

No, she doesn't need to change anything about her personality and/or her behavior just because you say so :rolleyes:. People are different and they have a right to be, and that's completely normal. You don't have to spend time with her or people like her if you can't bear that type of behavior.

I can see that I probably come across as a bit oversensitive here, and I am not even a Gilles/Poirier fan (also I do like their programs). What I don't like and am sensitive to is the idea that people have to fit some mould and/or that there is a right kind of behavior for every situation.
We are allowed to have our own opinions. That's pretty much the whole point of boards like this.
Why so aggressive ?.

lauravvv

We are allowed to have our own opinions. That's pretty much the whole point of boards like this.
Why so aggressive ?.
And my answer to your post/opinion is my opinion. As to your question, I think I already answered that in my post (the last sentence). I am usually not so, as you say, "aggressive", but people castigating other people for being different is a sensitive issue for me indeed.

PashaFan

And my answer to your post/opinion is my opinion. As to your question, I think I already answered that in my post (the last sentence). I am usually not so, as you say, "aggressive", but people castigating other people for being different is a sensitive issue for me indeed.
I never slated Gilles for being different. I just think it's sometimes disrespectful to be dancing around on a podium when others are there too.
If you have read any of my other posts you will see I always defend skaters when they are being criticized. Meagan Duhamel for example.

yunatripleflip

Well Megan Duhamel's personality is far more annoying than Piper's IMO. Between the two give me Piper anyday. To each their own.

reut

My interview with Piper and Paul we did in Barcelona:

Piper Gilles and Paul Poirier: "We want each program to push us"
http://absoluteskating.com/interviews/2015gillespoirier.html

This post of yours inspired me for the last question there. :) Check how they imagine such "day with the fan". ;)

Hanna

Skating junkie
My interview with Piper and Paul we did in Barcelona:

Piper Gilles and Paul Poirier: "We want each program to push us"
http://absoluteskating.com/interviews/2015gillespoirier.html

This post of yours inspired me for the last question there. :) Check how they imagine such "day with the fan". ;)
I love it, thanks. :lol: I'm definitely in after reading that answer, too! :cheer: A wonderful interview altogether - especially appreciated reading about the ISU bios. :lol:

cheerknithanson

I seriously think they should do "Come on Eileen" for their FD next season! I can totally see them doing it! Though I know it doesn't mean they'll do it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information