From Russia With Love [#40]: Summer 2021 & into the Olympic season

Status
Not open for further replies.

barbarafan

Which oeopke

Isn

Isn't she 'protected' as she is under 16?
In Russia what is the age of adulthood. If she is under age who had the guardianship of her when her parents were not around. If given by a team doctor why would they keep someone so incompetent around...unless his other dealings helped Mother Russia.

SLIVER

The reason Russian athletes are competing under ROC is because of the doping issue involving some of their athletes. One would think they would learn from this, but here we are. No Russian sweep of the ladies medals, I guess.

On the bright side Canada wins Team Bronze and I am freaking here for it.
You're freaking here for Team Canada to get bronze in these circumstances??? That's beyond tragic.
U think team Canada actually want this medal, or team US is excited about this asterisk gold??

barbarafan

You're freaking here for Team Canada to get bronze in these circumstances??? That's beyond tragic.
U think team Canada actually want this medal, or team US is excited about this asterisk gold??
This is very sad. Both for the athlete and her parents and the rest of the TE team. As well...what are the side effects of this drug?

Frau Muller

From Puerto Rico…With Love! Not LatinX!
Russia TV now reporting that Russia stripped of gold in TE. Also, Valieva banned from indiv event.

I’ll post the TV news once it’s on YouTube. In meantime this online report:

The source of this was an article in Sport Express, which has since been removed from the SportExpress site. So it’s all back up in the air (status of Kamila for the indiv event + status of ROC’s gold for the TE).

Judy

Except for some parts that I caught .. I didn’t really catch the team event. How did Canada end up in 4th to begin with.

I’m committed to the men later tonight though.

mjb52

99% of what is 'known' about this situation is rumor. We actually don't know anything other than what the official spokesperson said. As hard as it may be to believe that it wouldn't involve Kamila after all this fuss, even that has not been confirmed officially, nor has it been confirmed that it involves doping. WADA re-directed comment to the IOC/ISU. While journalists certainly do hear things and her being a minor would make some of the more bizarre aspects of this fall into place so it seems more plausible than it did before, and though it sounds boring and old-fashioned to say that we might want to keep our minds open until an actual official statement, it is good to keep the above in mind.

Amantide

Except for some parts that I caught .. I didn’t really catch the team event. How did Canada end up in 4th to begin with.

Japanese Pairs did gave a real contribution by placing 4rth on the SP, ahead of the Canadians, and 2nd in the FS. That was a good surprise for me. I hadn't seen them before.

Frau Muller

It’s interesting that the TE situation was mentioned by the male anchor during the “third hour” (9-10 am) of NBC’s TODAY Show, then never again. Silence. Also, no mention whatsoever on the Olympic Ice show. So maybe all of the talk during the past 12 hours was just a figment of our imaginations?

Karen-W

How long do we have to wait for GP assignments?
I've had the NBC/USA broadcasts on all morning and they haven't mentioned it once. Plenty of Nathan Chen promo but not a PEEP about the brewing scandal. Part of me thinks they want to focus on the USA's legitimate gold medal threat/hope and leave the Kamila stuff for tomorrow when it will, hopefully, have been resolved.

caseyedwards

So many reasons! Underperforming by James radford, no Keegan etc

Rukia

A Southern, hot-blooded temperamental individual
I've had the NBC/USA broadcasts on all morning and they haven't mentioned it once. Plenty of Nathan Chen promo but not a PEEP about the brewing scandal. Part of me thinks they want to focus on the USA's legitimate gold medal threat/hope and leave the Kamila stuff for tomorrow when it will, hopefully, have been resolved.
They just mentioned it on my local news, but it was very quick. Kamila's name wasn't mentioned I don't think, just that the medal ceremony had been delayed and Russian media was posting there was a positive drug test involved (which...not a good summary). Then she quickly said, "But let's focus on more positive news," and started talking about snowboarding. It was even weirder than not saying anything at all honestly.

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, T&M, P&C
In Russia what is the age of adulthood. If she is under age who had the guardianship of her when her parents were not around. If given by a team doctor why would they keep someone so incompetent around...unless his other dealings helped Mother Russia.
I am not talking about adulthood in Russia. Somewhere on fsu (multiple threads on this issue) there is a link to the rules (IOC I think) where below 16 is a 'protected person'. He/she can be reprimanded but not banned (paraphrasing). I think that's where the legal complexities May be.

Last edited:

rink_mom

I am not talking about adulthood in Russia. Somewhere on fsu (multiple threads on this issue) there is a link to the rules (IOC I think) where below 16 is a 'protected person'. He/she can be reprimanded but not banned (paraphrasing). I think that's where the legal complexities are.
I think Chris Maybee posted the rules on twitter

Sylvia

TBD
ISU Communication No. 2344: https://www.isu.org/docman-document...ments/24884-2344-isu-anti-doping-rules-1/file

ARTICLE 11 CONSEQUENCES TO TEAMS
11.1 Testing of Teams
Where one (1) member of a team (outside of Team Sports) has been notified of an anti-doping rule
violation under Article 7 in connection with an Event, the ruling body for the Event shall conduct
appropriate Target Testing of all members of the team during the Event Period.
11.2 Consequences for Teams
11.2.1 An anti-doping rule violation committed by a member of a team, including
substitutes, in connection with an In-Competition test automatically leads to
Disqualification of the result obtained by the team in that Competition, with all
resulting Consequences for the team and its members, including forfeiture of any
medals, points and prizes.
11.2.2 An anti-doping rule violation committed by a member of a team, including
substitutes, occurring during or in connection with an Event may lead to
Disqualification of all of the results obtained by the team in that Event with all
Consequences for the team and its members, including forfeiture of all medals,
points and prizes, except as provided in Article 11.2.3.
11.2.3 Where a Skater who is a member of a team committed an anti-doping rule
violation during or in connection with one (1) Competition in an Event, if the other
member(s) of the team establish(es) that he/they bear(s) No Fault or Negligence
for that violation, the results of the team in any other Competition(s) in that Event
shall not be Disqualified unless the results of the team in the Competition(s) other
than the Competition in which the anti-doping rule violation occurred were likely
to have been affected by the Skater's anti-doping rule violation.

ISU Anti-Doping Rules_CODE 2021_ISU Communication 2344 Page 43 of 68

Frau Muller

The young African-Am anchor, based in Beijing, mentioned the postponement of the FS Team medals because it was under investigation. (It’s the guy who took over for Tirico last night… “Melvin”) He was elated “Might be good news for USA,” he said quickly to the NY-based crew (Hoda & co.). So I waited for more but he never returned.

UPDATE: NBC Nightly News with Lester Holt is about to feature this story! Also, there’ll be a separate feature on Nathan.

Last edited:

Karen-W

How long do we have to wait for GP assignments?
I am not talking about adulthood in Russia. Somewhere on fsu (multiple threads on this issue) there is a link to the rules (IOC I think) where below 16 is a 'protected person'. He/she can be reprimanded but not banned (paraphrasing). I think that's where the legal complexities May be.
No, that isn't true. It means their identity is protected but they can still be banned. It's sort of like having a juvenile record - court records are supposed to be sealed and names aren't released to the public. Except in this case, once the IOC said "it's a protected person" everyone could deduce who it was because there is just one TE medalist under the age of 16.

pointbleu

The official announcement might be delayed because of the fact that she is "protected" and the issue is still under investigation. So they are being double careful in this case, especially with announcements.

However, it's extremely bizzarre and almost unbelievable to me that they would knowingly give a banned drug to her (or any athlete for that matter) after what happened in 2018. Especially, doing this in the Olympic season when the effects of 2018 are still tangible (e.g. Russian athletes competing under ROC). It's extremely hard for me to believe they could do this on purpose. I hope there is an explanation for this and it turns out well for her. But even if it turns out well, her reputation has been tarnished (not to mention what it does psychologically before a competition) and this will reflect on all the other skaters as well. There is no room for any error for them whatsoever. This is a bad situation whichever way it goes.
The point of doping is getting an advantage over your competitors so you can win the competition. I guess the driver here is to win at any cost.

pointbleu

If it is as it seems to be, it would be such a tragic event for Valieva. These girls are truly the material they work with, as Eteri has said. They are not the one wanting to take banned substances, it is the team surrounding them that give them what is needed. The skaters just do what is said, they have no word to say because there is a lineup behind them of skaters who want to take their turn. They are kids, they are teenagers and I am glad there is the notion of “protected athlete” to illustrate that they are still just teens out there and part of a much bigger picture.
Just having the creepy doctor around them is a no-no… Having the president of Sambo 70 talking about the skaters taking legal drugs… and other rumours that have popped the last years.

That is so sad…

Frau Muller

TSL has an explanation .. apparently drug test was in Dec.

I just heard that episode. Lease (in his own voice; not “Spletnikov” this time) made a good point about the timing in December - that once the test result came in, she shouldn’t have been named to the Olympic team.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information