From Russia With Love [#40]: Summer 2021 & into the Olympic season

Status
Not open for further replies.

screech

Thank goodness that Mother Russia still has the Rocket 🚀 in reserve!

If Kamila disqualified for the rest of Games…a call to Empress Liza?
Since Kamila has already competed a substitute cannot be called in (a la Vincent Zhou). If Liza came, since Kamila has competed, that means ROC would have had 4 ladies participate in the Games instead of the permitted 3. If it were Anna or Sasha, then it would be allowed, since they have not competed.

Oh no! I think I'm going to be sick! And if Kamila is supposed to be 'protected', how is her identity known??
Since she's the only competitor under 16, if they announced that the athlete is 'protected' it's obvious who it is, even without her name being released..

Frau Muller

From Puerto Rico…With Love! Not LatinX!
Since Kamila has already competed a substitute cannot be called in (a la Vincent Zhou). If Liza came, since Kamila has competed, that means ROC would have had 4 ladies participate in the Games instead of the permitted 3. If it were Anna or Sasha, then it would be allowed, since they have not competed.

Since she's the only competitor under 16, if they announced that the athlete is 'protected' it's obvious who it is, even without her name being released..

But that was the Team Event. Women indiv draw (& competition) not until next week! Call to Liza Tuk!!! She’s been practicing, as alternate, in Krasnoyarsk. 🥳

Sylvia

TBD
Well now it's reported it's trimetazidine who is banned only during competitions. If I can trust L'équipe.
Well I checked, it's banned for everything.
Sports doctor Nikita Karlitsky spoke about the drug found in the doping test of figure skater Kamila Valieva .
Earlier, the fact that the drug trimetazidine was found in Valieva’s sample was reported by journalist Vasily Konov
“Trimetazidine is prohibited. It's like meldonium. It protects the heart and brain during intense exercise. Typically, all such drugs are analyzed for two to three weeks during the doping test. But after a positive result, he could be sent for rechecking, holidays, then all the cases. But the fact that it coincided now is something mythical. Perhaps they double-checked before blaming. Samples are stored up to 10 years.
This drug may be approved. To do this, you need to get a therapeutic exception and enter data about its use into the Adams system. When WADA has doubts, they should not report it, ”Karlitsky said in an interview with the correspondent of the Championship, Andrey Pankov.
Konov reported that trimetazidine (micro-dose) was found in Valieva’s sample taken in December 2021.

Last edited:

Frau Muller

From Puerto Rico…With Love! Not LatinX!
Russia TV now reporting that Russia stripped of gold in TE. Also, Valieva banned from indiv event.

I’ll post the TV news once it’s on YouTube. In meantime this online report:

screech

Guaranteed there will now be testing done on the rest of the Russian athletes, especially Eteri's students. If Kamila tested positive, I wouldn't be surprised if the team doctor tried to provide the substance to Anna, Sasha, Morisi, etc. I sincerely hope they are 100% negative, though.

Heartbroken for Kamila. Even though she's the one who tested positive, IMO she's a victim in this, as she's just a teenager who was
following the guidance of the trusted adults in her life.

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, T&M, P&C
Guaranteed there will now be testing done on the rest of the Russian athletes, especially Eteri's students. If Kamila tested positive, I wouldn't be surprised if the team doctor tried to provide the substance to Anna, Sasha, Morisi, etc. I sincerely hope they are 100% negative, though.

Heartbroken for Kamila. Even though she's the one who tested positive, IMO she's a victim in this, as she's just a teenager who was
Is this confirmed? I would wait until there is an official announcement. Kamila is the youngest. This could be devastating for her. I hope it is not Kamila.

I had read earlier that Russia is very careful in checking every medicine their athletes take because bad things had happened to innocent athletes who took e.g. A cold medicine.

Does the whole team lose the medals or just the athlete who failed the drug test?

What kind of legal issues are they dealing with? I got up late, so I haven't read all the posts. Just went to the most recent ones.

angi

All I can think about is that I hope someone is taking care of Kamila. She is 15 and in Beijing with no parents or family members. She is about to be in the middle of a huge shit storm that is guaranteed to get a lot of attention from worldwide media. And since I have no doubt she will be thrown under the bus and will be crucified in Russia (it already started), I hope she will be surrounded by people whose number one priority is her well-being. The only thing I care about in the short term is her well-being. In the long term, I hope this will lead to the inspection of what exactly is going on at Sambo.

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, T&M, P&C
Which oeopke
Not surprised. When will these people ever learn? Why rob an athlete of a career of a sport he/she has dedicated themselv
Isn

Isn't she 'protected' as she is under 16?

Polaris

Wow. After all the years of debating over who gets ladies gold OGM and years of predicting Kamila was a lock for OGM, THIS happens?

i'm shocked and have ALOT of questions. Did camp Tutberidze know? Did RusFed know? Did Valieva know? Are Anna and Sasha affected as well? If they aren't, why was Kamila the only one affected?

DreamSkates

Russia TV now reporting that Russia stripped of gold in TE. Also, Valieva banned from indiv event.

If this is on Russian tv, then that is the answer we are all wondering about. I think her coaching team should take responsibility for this ruining of such a skilled and accomplished athlete. I wonder if her career is over and forever tarnished. One can understand the use of certain drugs for the heart but then, if the heart is not in 100% health, why push this young person so that she has to take a drug to avoid a cardiac event?

Primorskaya

They might be jumping the gun here. I've seen no official announcement of this elsewhere and FSG isn't exactly the most reliable source.

Judy

If Dave Lease is right then that points to team doctors, I imagine, and coach knowledge. Oh boy….
Oh no! I think I'm going to be sick! And if Kamila is supposed to be 'protected', how is her identity known?? This would put a HUGE asterisk on the women's results, if she's not allowed to compete! Poor kid, she's just a little girl! 🥺 I hope against hope that this turns out well after all! 🙏
In the past yes. With social media unfortunately not.

I agree that there is a huge difference between a 15 year old and an older competitor knowingly taking a banned substance (🤢🤢🤢).

We’ll have to wait and see what IOC announces and what banned substance it officially is.

Viscaro

Oh wow. This terrible and sad.

The relevant paragraphs of L'équipe article that MarieM was talking about, googletranslated (source) :
In a press conference, the European champion explained that she had told her mother at the age of 3 that she would be Olympic champion. The dream had come true and Valieva, favorite of the individual event (next Tuesday and Thursday), seemed well on her way to reliving it a second time. Except that the medal ceremony, scheduled for Tuesday evening, was postponed. And that the girl did not appear in training on Wednesday morning, unlike other Russian skaters, Anna Shcherbakova and Alexandra Trusova.

At the end of the evening in Beijing, while the IOC had not made new elements public, the specialized site insidethegames affirmed that the control, carried out before the start of the 2022 Olympic Games, concerned Kamila Valieva. “The exact nature of Valieva's problem is unclear but the situation is complicated because Valieva, according to the World Anti-Doping Code, is a protected person. A special status for children under sixteen aimed at protecting their anonymity and adapting possible sanctions.
Neither the IOC nor the international federation (ISU) had confirmed this information at the end of the evening in Beijing. If it were to be, the questions would be multiple. First on the consequences for Valieva, whose participation in the individual event now seems unlikely if this information is confirmed. But also for those around her: Eteri Tutberidze also coaches the two other Russian skaters involved and she has been one of the major coaches in world skating since 2014.

The ISU regulations being imprecise, there is also the question of the revised classification of the team event (Russian Olympic Committee disqualified or losing only the points won by Valieva). The only certainty is that this case could become one of the biggest scandals of the Olympics.

I guess wait and see (and the US do not have team gold yet), but indeed this is awful.

Excidra

The reason Russian athletes are competing under ROC is because of the doping issue involving some of their athletes. One would think they would learn from this, but here we are. No Russian sweep of the ladies medals, I guess.

On the bright side Canada wins Team Bronze and I am freaking here for it.

Amantide

They might be jumping the gun here. I've seen no official announcement of this elsewhere and FSG isn't exactly the most reliable source.
The official announcement might be delayed because of the fact that she is "protected" and the issue is still under investigation. So they are being double careful in this case, especially with announcements.

However, it's extremely bizzarre and almost unbelievable to me that they would knowingly give a banned drug to her (or any athlete for that matter) after what happened in 2018. Especially, doing this in the Olympic season when the effects of 2018 are still tangible (e.g. Russian athletes competing under ROC). It's extremely hard for me to believe they could do this on purpose. I hope there is an explanation for this and it turns out well for her. But even if it turns out well, her reputation has been tarnished (not to mention what it does psychologically before a competition) and this will reflect on all the other skaters as well. There is no room for any error for them whatsoever. This is a bad situation whichever way it goes.

aka_gerbil

Rooting for the Underdogs
The assumption is that coaches or someone else official have her the drug, but we don’t know that. No one else has had a positive test. Maybe it was someone else in her life. Also, she’s 15, not 5. 15 year olds sometimes do stupid things. Let’s wait for more information.

B.Cooper

The official announcement might be delayed because of the fact that she is "protected" and the issue is still under investigation. So they are being double careful in this case, especially with announcements.

However, it's extremely bizzarre and almost unbelievable to me that they would knowingly give a banned drug to her (or any athlete for that matter) after what happened in 2018. Especially, doing this in the Olympic season when the effects of 2018 are still tangible (e.g. Russian athletes competing under ROC). It's extremely hard for me to believe they could do this on purpose. I hope there is an explanation for this and it turns out well for her. But even if it turns out well, her reputation has been tarnished (not to mention what it does psychologically before a competition) and this will reflect on all the other skaters as well. There is no room for any error for them whatsoever. This is a bad situation whichever way it goes.
"Banned" drugs can be given if a Therapeutic Use Exemption is applied for and approved. The paperwork is done thru the Russian version of USADA and then forwarded to WADA for approval. Angina is not uncommon in athletes, especially those who have electro-physiological imbalance of ions, and that can be due to many things...eating disorders (quite common), malnutrition, other medications/drug regimens. One would think that the Russian federation would be on top of this...checking all medicines that are given to their athletes, to avoid any appearance of impropriety. One would think that they would have learned from their historical doping issues. Sad that this has happened.

Amantide

The assumption is that coaches or someone else official have her the drug, but we don’t know that. No one else has had a positive test. Maybe it was someone else in her life. Also, she’s 15, not 5. 15 year olds sometimes do stupid things. Let’s wait for more information.
Tell that to Christine Brennan and social media. She's already throwing shades on other athletes.:rolleyes: https://www.facebook.com/TheSkatingLesson/photos/a.395978440524130/4619475158174416/

I don't know about Mark, but M&G for example already said they were taking a couple of days off the ice.

taz'smum

'Be Kind' - every skater has their own story
"Banned" drugs can be given if a Therapeutic Use Exemption is applied for and approved. The paperwork is done thru the Russian version of USADA and then forwarded to WADA for approval. Angina is not uncommon in athletes, especially those who have electro-physiological imbalance of ions, and that can be due to many things...eating disorders (quite common), malnutrition, other medications/drug regimens. One would think that the Russian federation would be on top of this...checking all medicines that are given to their athletes, to avoid any appearance of impropriety. One would think that they would have learned from their historical doping issues. Sad that this has happened.
Tiff was doping tested when she was fresh out of hospital after meningitis. :oops:

She'd had a shed load of serious drugs in hospital and had to submit a long list of them all in English.
(It cost us a lot of money to get the 10 pages of hospital notes translated into English)

Fortunately, they were all classed as therapeutic usage and she had no problems.

Amantide

One would think, indeed. Which is why this sound so bonkers to me, if it's true.
Unbelievable. :slinkaway

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information