From Russia With Love [#40]: Summer 2021 & into the Olympic season

Status
Not open for further replies.

love_skate2011

Banned Member
I wonder who they will send now Mozalev or Semenenko, they are equally in the same range scoring wise in the GP
But Mozalev beat Semenenko twice now in the rankings, Mishin may have a bigger pull but why doesnt Mishin teach Semenenko proper technique, he has such wild jumps, its so unstable look at his landings its all wonky, clunky.

This would have been an easier decision had Mozalev just clinched bronze.
Imo, Mozalev deserve to go to the Olympics.

Taso

Wanted to share this video of Kavaguti/Smirnov at Moskvina's birthday jubilee since we haven't seen them in a while: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aea1LmMGZN0

Yuko seems so joyful. After the skate she does a death spiral with Trankov, Moskvina comes onto the ice and Smirnov thanks her for everything. Moskvina explained Yuko's story and how she came all the way from Japan and became a bona fide Russian pairs skater. :)
WOAH that's the most joyful I have ever seen Yuko! That was so lovely to see!!!!

angi

So what will the Russian federation do when choosing between Semenko and Mozalev? Both skated poor FS and finished off the podium 5 points apart. Will be interesting to see who will get that spot.

love_skate2011

Banned Member
All Moazlev needed was a podium, huge mistake popping the 4S to 3S then trying again the 3S, Basically he invalidated a jump too thats why his TES dropped. Poor Guy

love_skate2011

Banned Member
So what will the Russian federation do when choosing between Semenko and Mozalev? Both skated poor FS and finished off the podium 5 points apart. Will be interesting to see who will get that spot.
Coaches Council Decision, isn't Mishin a member :wuzrobbed

aka_gerbil

Rooting for the Underdogs
Honestly, after evaluating the different scenarios, there isn't any worse or better outcome using Mark instead of Mikhail. I'd use him since he is the National Champ and just won Euros too.
I get that for the team event, but who gets the third individual spot is the other question.

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, T&M, P&C
Wanted to share this video of Kavaguti/Smirnov at Moskvina's birthday jubilee since we haven't seen them in a while: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aea1LmMGZN0

Yuko seems so joyful. After the skate she does a death spiral with Trankov, Moskvina comes onto the ice and Smirnov thanks her for everything. Moskvina explained Yuko's story and how she came all the way from Japan and became a bona fide Russian pairs skater. :)
That was precious! I have missed Yuko and Sasha.
It shows how much they love Tamara and how proud Tamara is of Yuko.

Last edited:

layman

I love newly crowned European Champion (and Russian National Champion) Mark Kondratiuk's skating! He combines the best of art and athleticism (he reminds me in that regard of Ilia Klimkin). I am looking forward to many, many more years of Mark's aggressive and imaginative skating.

Spun Silver

This was so lovely. Thanks for sharing it! And just imagine - in 20 or 30 years we will probably see skaters kneeling to Eteri. I wonder what the FSUers of tomorrow will be saying about her!

love_skate2011

Banned Member
I looked up the entries for Nationals, Artmeeva / Nazarychev are competing in juniors,
didnt ISU revise you cant compete in both senior and junior at the same time if you already turned senior unlike during Sui/Hans JGP seasons :confused:

Kind of a waste, A/N already have high SB do they really need higher world rankings ? other russian juniors could use their spot

hanca

Values her privacy
I looked up the entries for Nationals, Artmeeva / Nazarychev are competing in juniors,
didnt ISU revise you cant compete in both senior and junior at the same time if you already turned senior unlike during Sui/Hans JGP seasons :confused:

Kind of a waste, A/N already have high SB do they really need higher world rankings ? other russian juniors could use their spot
You can’t compete at junior and senior grand prix in the same season, but you can compete at senior GP and junior worlds, which is clearly what they would like to do. Last year junior worlds were cancelled, they don’t have the medal and it seems they would like to have it. To be able to compete at junior worlds, they will have to compete at junior nationals so that their federation can justify sending them.

I can’t say that I am particularly happy about it, because there is a few Russian junior pairs who have done really well this season I think deserve their chance at junior worlds (Khabibulina/Kniazhuk, Geinish/Mironov, Mukhortova/Evgenyev, Chikmarieva/Yanchenko), but on the other hand, Artemeva/Nazarychev are the same age as G/M, K/K and M/E, and if they beat them at the junior nationals, they are better and deserve to go. A/N are not doing anything wrong; they have the right to try to qualify at the junior nationals. It would be wrong if the federation sent them without them qualifying at the nationals, but if they qualify, they should go.

love_skate2011

Banned Member
You can’t compete at junior and senior grand prix in the same season, but you can compete at senior GP and junior worlds, which is clearly what they would like to do. Last year junior worlds were cancelled, they don’t have the medal and it seems they would like to have it. To be able to compete at junior worlds, they will have to compete at junior nationals so that their federation can justify sending them.

I can’t say that I am particularly happy about it, because there is a few Russian junior pairs who have done really well this season I think deserve their chance at junior worlds (Khabibulina/Kniazhuk, Geinish/Mironov, Mukhortova/Evgenyev, Chikmarieva/Yanchenko), but on the other hand, Artemeva/Nazarychev are the same age as G/M, K/K and M/E, and if they beat them at the junior nationals, they are better and deserve to go. A/N are not doing anything wrong; they have the right to try to qualify at the junior nationals. It would be wrong if the federation sent them without them qualifying at the nationals, but if they qualify, they should go.
I mean A/N dont need to go junior worlds, I think they are almost secured of 2 GP assignments next season.
Mukhortova/Evgenyev and other juniors that have good potential to transition to seniors should be given more opportunities that means with No A/N taking away a spot.

Really , then Panfilova / Rylov would have benefited more with another junior worlds title to bump their rankings.

hanca

Values her privacy
I mean A/N dont need to go junior worlds, I think they are almost secured of 2 GP assignments next season.
Mukhortova/Evgenyev and other juniors that have good potential to transition to seniors should be given more opportunities that means with No A/N taking away a spot.

Really , then Panfilova / Rylov would have benefited more with another junior worlds title to bump their rankings.
I agree that the other junior pairs need the points more desperately than A/N, but I don’t think any federation would remove a spot someone earned from one skater or one team and give it to another skater/team just because ‘they need it more’. With your way of arguing, the federation could withdraw Mishina/Galliamov from the Europeans because ‘they don’t need’ to be European champions if they already are world champions. Similarly, Boikova/Kozlovski don’t need another European champions title, whereas Pavliuschenko/Khodykin and Akopova/Rakhmanin need it more. And yet B/K and M/G went to Europeans. If someone earns it, they should be able to go, regardless whether someone else ‘need it more’.

Cherub721

YEAH!
I sort of hope they don't qualify. I agree they have the right to do it, but they already were really lucky to have two easy GP assignments and medal. And those medals IMO helped them with their reputation and helped them get a high placement at senior Nationals. They aren't super consistent either. It wouldn't look good if they lose to the other teams at Junior Nationals or Junior Worlds. If I were them I would leave well enough alone.

hanca

Values her privacy
I sort of hope they don't qualify. I agree they have the right to do it, but they already were really lucky to have two easy GP assignments and medal. And those medals IMO helped them with their reputation and helped them get a high placement at senior Nationals. They aren't super consistent either. It wouldn't look good if they lose to the other teams at Junior Nationals or Junior Worlds. If I were them I would leave well enough alone.
It is very likely that they will qualify. Because they have done so well at their GP events, the federation will see them as a pair with good prospects and will be ‘very supportive’ with their marking, for example, their PCS will be much higher than the junior pairs’ PCS. So even though they may not be completely consistent, they will find there the points. Look at the senior nationals- the judges were so generous with them that even with the mistakes they made, they placed them above Akopova/Rakhmanin, even though A/R had two clean programs with very decent elements.

love_skate2011

Banned Member
A/R are Top 5 russian pairs, Klimov really taught all he knew with the technique
the twist , the lifts, the throws, the throw at the end of the program are so Stolbova/Klimov.

With that said, I wonder how P/R will fare if they can return next season, it would be devastating if they fizzle out,
they had everything except jumps, their twist deserves +4 and those lifts, Rylov lifts Panfilova with one hand !

I expect the newer pairs to be moving in the rankings once T/M retire ?
Akopova / Rakhmanin, Artemeva / Nazarychev, Mukhortova / Evgenyev, Panfilova / Rylov ?

Im still checking which other juniors have the sufficient height difference to survive to seniors.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information