From Russia With Love [#40]: Summer 2021 & into the Olympic season

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ka3sha

New interview with Maxim Trankov
According to him, Pavel Sliusarenko joined Team Tutberidze in Moscow and is working with Tarasova/Morozov now. No information about Perm teams and Panfilova/Rylov in particular.

Boikova/Kozlovskii, Ksenia Stolbova and Arthur Minchuk at training camp in Sochi

Sylvia

TBD
Re-posting Nikita Mihailov's interview with Anastasia Pletneva here:
Nikita Mikhailov choreographed programs for Alexei Mishin’s students:
Elizaveta Tuktamysheva, LP
Mikhail Kolyada, LP
Evgeny Semenenko, SP and LP

Sylvia

TBD
Jonathan Guerreiro interview by Marina Chernyshova-Melnik (June 19):
Q: Tell us about the new position in the Russian Olympic Committee, which you took a few months ago.
- I am a member of the public commission under the ROC - a representative of the Olympic movement from Russia. There are generally all athletes - both active and retired. For the third month now I have been participating in forums and meetings, making presentations, suggesting the development of educational programs and social projects to help athletes. For example, we recently discussed antiquarian measures at the upcoming Olympics in Tokyo and the outfit of the national team's athletes at the Beijing Olympics. We will also soon be hosting live broadcasts with famous athletes on the ROC website ahead of the Games. In general, we raise topical issues, we try to be a mediator, bringing the voice of athletes to the leadership. These values are close to me, so I work with interest and manage to combine everything with training.
I've posted an interview with Sofia Akatieva here: https://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/threads/russian-ladies-news-discussion.107920/page-54#post-6012942

Sylvia

TBD
Alisa Kalinina writes about the Russian men contending for the Olympic team:

Ka3sha

Tamara Moskvina celebrates her 80th birthday today, on June 26th :)
There will be channel 1 documentary and I will try to start a separate thread later, but for now here are few interviews and congratulatory articles:

Interview with Moskvina herself

Alexei Mishin
  • What would you like to say and wish Tamara Nikolaevna on her birthday?
  • Each person in his life meets a huge number of people. But among them there are those, who leave a big mark in his lives. I include Tamara Nikolaevna Moskvina among such people. Together we skated in single skating, then pair skating, then we went to graduate school together, taught together, and train together. I would tell her: “Tamara, don't change. Let the next stage of your life be interesting, bright, rich, talented - just the way you are. I wish you great human happiness. Yours, Alexey Mishin."
Aleksandra Boikova
  • Is there something about Tamara Nikolaevna that surprises and inspires you?
  • Crazy energy. I don't know what needs to be done to be such an energetic and cheerful person at her age. She has time for everything in general, and not just randomly, but has time to do everything with high quality, with knowledge of the matter. It is very cool. And, of course, her ability to keep herself. I can't imagine what kind of patience you need to have, what other qualities, but whatever happens around - Tamara Nikolaevna is always perfect.
  • Being an athlete Moskvina means ...
  • Probably, this is not the best answer to the question, but I think being a Moskvina's athlete means being the best.

Last edited:

Frau Muller

From Puerto Rico…With Love! Not LatinX!
The 50-minute documentary on birthday girl Tamara Moskvina airs today on Russian-language Channel One @ 12:25pm eastern US time. Titled Tamara Moskvina: Na Ves Zolota (Equal to Gold...Good as Gold). The TV ads feature TM on a scooter, among other surprises!

Hopefully, the streamed version will eventually appear here:

Eislauffan

Sylvia

TBD
2021/22 Senior test skates to be held in Chelyabinsk, on September 11-12
June 23rd article:
The decision to hold test skates in the Olympic season in Chelyabinsk was made during the December Russian championship, which was held in this city.
"The rentals are scheduled for early September, so I think that vaccination will help eliminate this situation, which means that there is no point in discussing the postponement of performances," Kogan said.
In parallel with the test skates, the Challenger series tournament in Italy - Lombardia Trophy will take place. There will be enough "Challengers" in other countries - the entire ISU [International Skating Union] calendar has already been approved. But if someone does not skate in Chelyabinsk, he will be able to perform at the Lombardia Trophy, "Kogan emphasized.

Sylvia

TBD
Grand Prix assignments as of June 29 (Rostelecom Cup is the 6th & final GP this year and will be held in Sochi):

LADIES (9 ladies, 17 spots)
Anna Shcherbakova - Cup of China [#3], Internationaux de France [#5]
Elizaveta Tuktamysheva - Skate Canada [#2], Rostelecom Cup [#6]
Alexandra Trusova - Skate America [#1], NHK Trophy [#4]
Alena Kostornaia - Skate Canada [#2], Internationaux de France [#5]
Kamila Valieva - Skate Canada [#2], Rostelecom Cup [#6]
Daria Usacheva - Skate America [#1], NHK Trophy [#4]
Kseniia Sinitsyna - Skate America [#1], Internationaux de France [#5]
Sofia Samodurova - Cup of China
Maiia Khromykh - Cup of China
Rostelecom Cup - TBA

MEN (9 men, 17 spots)
Mikhail Kolyada - Cup of China, Rostelecom Cup
Evgeni Semenenko - Skate Canada, Rostelecom Cup
Dmitri Aliev - Cup of China, Internationaux de France
Makar Ignatov - Skate Canada, NHK Trophy
Alexander Samarin - Skate Canada, NHK Trophy
Artur Danielian - Skate America, Internationaux de France
Daniel Samsonov - Skate America, NHK Trophy
Petr Gumennik - Cup of China
Andrei Mozalev - Internationaux de France
Rostelecom Cup - TBA

PAIRS (6 teams, 13 spots)
Anastasia Mishina/Aleksandr Galliamov - NHK Trophy, Rostelecom Cup
Aleksandra Boikova/Dmitrii Kozlovskii - Skate America, Internationaux de France
Evgenia Tarasova/Vladimir Morozov - Skate America, NHK Trophy
Daria Pavliuchenko/Denis Khodykin - Skate Canada, Rostelecom Cup
Alina Pepeleva/Roman Pleshkov - Skate America, Cup of China
Iuliia Artemeva/Mikhail Nazarychev - Cup of China, Internationaux de France
Rostelecom Cup - TBA
Reposting here from the GP Assignments announced thread:
Re Panfilova/Rylov from Russian board (so no official confirmation):

Dmitri had a surgery in April. It's not injury-related, he has a congenital issue and needs a long time to recover after the surgery, he won't be back on the ice until October, so the guys will miss next season.
ICE DANCE (7 teams, 11 spots)
Victoria Sinitsina/Nikita Katsalapov - NHK Trophy, Rostelecom Cup
Alexandra Stepanova/Ivan Bukin - Cup of China, Internationaux de France
Tiffani Zagorski/Jonathan Guerreiro - Skate America, Internationaux de France
Anastasia Skoptcova/Kirill Aleshin - Rostelecom Cup
Elizaveta Shanaeva/Devid Naryzhnyy - Skate Canada
Annabelle Morozov/Andrei Bagin - Internationaux de France
Diana Davis/Gleb Smolkin - Skate Canada
TBA - Rostelecom Cup

ETA link to the Russian fed's press release:

Last edited:

Eislauffan

Grand Prix assignments as of June 29 (Rostelecom Cup is the 6th & final GP this year and will be held in Sochi):

LADIES (9 ladies, 17 spots)
Anna Shcherbakova - Cup of China [#3], Internationaux de France [#5]
Elizaveta Tuktamysheva - Skate Canada [#2], Rostelecom Cup [#6]
Alexandra Trusova - Skate America [#1], NHK Trophy [#4]
Alena Kostornaia - Skate Canada [#2], Internationaux de France [#5]
Kamila Valieva - Skate Canada [#2], Rostelecom Cup [#6]
Daria Usacheva - Skate America [#1], NHK Trophy [#4]
Kseniia Sinitsyna - Skate America [#1], Internationaux de France [#5]
Sofia Samodurova - Cup of China
Maiia Khromykh - Cup of China
Rostelecom Cup - TBA

MEN (9 men, 17 spots)
Mikhail Kolyada - Cup of China, Rostelecom Cup
Evgeni Semenenko - Skate Canada, Rostelecom Cup
Dmitri Aliev - Cup of China, Internationaux de France
Makar Ignatov - Skate Canada, NHK Trophy
Alexander Samarin - Skate Canada, NHK Trophy
Artur Danielian - Skate America, Internationaux de France
Daniel Samsonov - Skate America, NHK Trophy
Petr Gumennik - Cup of China
Andrei Mozalev - Internationaux de France
Rostelecom Cup - TBA

I am suprised to see that Ksenia Sinitsina got two spots after basically not competing all season and also that Daniil Samsonov got two while 2020 World Junior medalists Petr Gumennik and Andrei Mozalev got only one each.

Cherub721

YEAH!
Disappointed not to see Kadyrova/Balchenko or Khudaiberdieva/Bazin on there. I understand that's the lack of international experience but it's a shame because they were a highlight during the domestic season and now they are left to hope they get the TBAs at Rostelecom.

Wyliefan

Ubering juniors against my will
I was stunned to see Sinitsyna wiith 2 to Kromykh's 1. But someone on skating Twitter pointed out that Sinitsyna is higher in the world standings.

Eislauffan

Disappointed not to see Kadyrova/Balchenko or Khudaiberdieva/Bazin on there. I understand that's the lack of international experience but it's a shame because they were a highlight during the domestic season and now they are left to hope they get the TBAs at Rostelecom.
I am sure they have best chances for the host country spots. They probably will also do some Challenger series events to move up in the Grand Prix waiting/replacement list.

Eislauffan

I was stunned to see Sinitsyna wiith 2 to Kromykh's 1. But someone on skating Twitter pointed out that Sinitsyna is higher in the world standings.

This is what I assumed, because last season people didn't get World Ranking points except for at Worlds. So even if you missed a season, it didn't make so much difference. What also factors is the SB score.
This probably made also the difference in the men's selection.

RoseRed

I am suprised to see that Ksenia Sinitsina got two spots after basically not competing all season and also that Daniil Samsonov got two while 2020 World Junior medalists Petr Gumennik and Andrei Mozalev got only one each.

It seems to me, having broken down all the assignments that they likely used the 2019-20 SB list as well for the assignments. I tried it as a combined top 24 from 2019-20 and 2020-21, and it explained most of the assignments I initially found weird. Don't know for sure if that's what they did, but Worlds 2021 top 10/12 + combined SB list + current WS fits very well. That's my theory on how the assignments were determined.

Kseniia had a 215.58 SB score from that season, which would put her around 10-12 on a combined list (depending on whether Evgenia and Alina's scores were counted).

Daniil Samsonov would also be solidly top 24 on a combined list, higher than Mozalev. So that would also be explained if they did it this way.

Sylvia

TBD
I happened to catch an Instagram story of Ekaterina Borisova's that showed Taisiya Sobinina and Sergey Bakhmat skating together with Nikolai Morozov watching them (he placed 4th in the Junior Pairs event at the 2021 Russian Cup Final with Karina Safina).

ETA: Bakhmat (born Nov. 28, 2000) is listed by himself in the Reserve team for Junior Pairs on page 30 of the National Team document linked in post #1.

2 Junior Ice Dance teams in the Reserve team (page 30):
Angelina Lazareva / Maksim Prokofiev - link to ISU bio: http://www.isuresults.com/bios/isufs00102142.htm
Ekaterina Mironova / Evgeniy Ustenko

4 Junior singles skaters listed in the Reserve team (pages 30-31):
Maria Zakharova
Andrei Kutovoi - link to his ISU bio: http://www.isuresults.com/bios/isufs00102770.htm
Gleb Lutfullin - link to his ISU bio: http://www.isuresults.com/bios/isufs00106624.htm
Kirill Sarnovsky

Last edited:

Sylvia

TBD
ICE DANCE (7 teams, 11 12 spots)
Victoria Sinitsina/Nikita Katsalapov - NHK Trophy, Rostelecom Cup
Alexandra Stepanova/Ivan Bukin - Cup of China, Internationaux de France
Tiffani Zagorski/Jonathan Guerreiro - Skate America, Internationaux de France
Anastasia Skoptcova/Kirill Aleshin - Rostelecom Cup
Elizaveta Shanaeva/Devid Naryzhnyy - Skate Canada
Annabelle Morozov/Andrei Bagin - Skate America, Internationaux de France
Diana Davis/Gleb Smolkin - Skate Canada
TBA - Rostelecom Cup
I missed listing Morozov/Bagin's Skate America spot in my post #45. M/B were #14 SB in 2019-20 season due to Golden Spin of Zagreb (known for inflated scores?) & #62 in WS. I think it would have been fairer for them and Shevchenko/Eremenko (#26 SB that season/#26 WS) to have split 2 GP assignments. Hopefully S/E will get the Rostelecom Cup TBA:
Shevchenko/Eremenko are not happy with the GP assignments and hope that in the future the assignments
will be given according to the spotting principal and selection criteria
https://www.instagram.com/reel/CQ3BGVZo1ge/
ETA that Shevchenko/Eremenko's coaches are supportive of them:

Last edited:

Sylvia

TBD
Apollinaria Panfilova answered a few questions in this article by Anastasia Panina (July 3) in which she confirms why she and Rylov were not assigned to the Grand Prix:
... At the moment I am skating alone, waiting for Dima to recover from a back injury.
... The morale of both me and Dima is normal. We support each other, Pavel Sergeevich (Slyusarenko is the coach of the Panfilov-Rylov pair - Ed.) Also supports. Of course, it is not easy to see how guys train in pairs, but if this happened to us, then it must be so. We will go through this difficult period, we will cope with all the problems. As soon as Dima's health allows, we will start training together with renewed vigor and great desire.
Q: What are you working on in training while Dmitry is recovering?
AP: Over the jumps.

Q: It's a difficult question, but in sports it often happens that a partner is not ready to wait for another after a serious injury. You don't have such a question, are you waiting for Dima?
AP: I definitely don't have such a question, I immediately said that I would wait for him. I find it very mean to throw a partner when he is injured.
Re-posting from the GP assignments announced thread on Tuesday:
Re Panfilova/Rylov from Russian board (so no official confirmation):

Dmitri had a surgery in April. It's not injury-related, he has a congenital issue and needs a long time to recover after the surgery, he won't be back on the ice until October, so the guys will miss next season.

Last edited:

thvu

Usova's Apprentice
I missed listing Morozov/Bagin's Skate America spot in my post #45. M/B were #14 SB in 2019-20 season due to Golden Spin of Zagreb (known for inflated scores?) & #62 in WS.
Given a SB rank of #14, I’m not surprised that Morozov/Bagin got two spots. They’re a lower ranked team that isn’t a threat, and perhaps aren’t as good as a SB#14 would indicate. Easy plausible deniability. Diana Davis on the other hand… :lol:

hanca

Values her privacy
Apollinaria Panfilova answered a few questions in this article by Anastasia Panina (July 3) in which she confirms why she and Rylov were not assigned to the Grand Prix:

Re-posting from the GP assignments announced thread on Tuesday:
Actually, maybe it would help them long term. I don’t mean it in any bad way, but the bottom line is that she struggles with jumps and if he was healthy, they would now be preparing for the new season, work on everything including the pairs elements, new programs, preparing for co petitions etc and there would be not much time left for her to work on jumps. As he is not able to skate, all she can do is the single elements and that gives her plenty of time to work on jumps. Much more time than if he was healthy. As long as he recovers (as long as his health problems are not career ending), her having time to spend on jumps looks like a positive thing.

Bigbird

Given a SB rank of #14, I’m not surprised that Morozov/Bagin got two spots. They’re a lower ranked team that isn’t a threat, and perhaps aren’t as good as a SB#14 would indicate. Easy plausible deniability. Diana Davis on the other hand… :lol:
Maybe they're just searching for the next couple to support. There aren't many if any promising pairs on the horizon....so? I understand Igor and Sophia but they or the groups choreographer don't seem to know how to package them. Looks like they've plateaued much like S/B. They need new ideas in their group.

irenemulindwairen

Maybe they're just searching for the next couple to support. There aren't many if any promising pairs on the horizon....so? I understand Igor and Sophia but they or the groups choreographer don't seem to know how to package them. Looks like they've plateaued much like S/B. They need new ideas in their group.
Don't think it is going to be possible any time soon. Their coaches seem to be content with the way things are going.
I read somewhere when she (Zhuk) said working with outside choreoghers is quite expensive.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information