From Russia With Love [#37]: Summer 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bigbird

Bolero isn't an inappropriate piece in the sense that we usually mean inappropriate. It's a difficult piece. You have that constant repetition right alongside a steady build. It takes a performer with a lot of sensitivity and musicality to really grasp the piece and make it work. And that's why many of us would balk at giving it to a 14-year-old, even a very talented 1414-year-old.
Said it better than me.

Hedwig

Antique member
I am still in a good awe shock from Kolyada's program. Always loved his skating but this was special. One of the programs for the ages.
if he skates this clean at Worlds he has a shot at a medal and will probably be the most mesmerizing program of the night.
the tech content is not there (yet) to challenge multiple quad-king Chen but in PCS he should be about 20 points above Chen if he skates like usual.
That was a different league. Just fantastic. :swoon:

layman

Sherbakova, Trusova, Valieva and Medvedeva all look like they have grown. Some of these ladies might get really tall.

I think Sherbakova has the weakest technique. She jumps so much with her upper body. I am getting Lipnitskaya vibes from her.

Conversely, even though she did not skate the free, I thought Kostornaia had the strongest technique of the ladies and I loved her SP. She seems very involved in the program from a musical and choreographic perspective.

I could see some (uncharacteristic) nerves from Trusova but I also see improvements. She seems to be listening to her music more.

Valieva did not have her usual speed but I think she handled her choreography really well (even though like all Danny G choreo, it does not give her rest places).

I thought Tuktymusheva looked strong from a technical perspective (for this early in the season). I always appreciate the lift and spring in her jumps.

Last edited:

Natanielle825

ok my thoughts...

Kolyada - the long was amazing obviously but the costume was pretty off to me. Too feminine for his carriage. I'm holding out for another consistent top man so ppl can chill on Hanyu vs Chen.

Somodurova/Tuktemysheva - trying but don't have a chance.

Medvedeva - same but better. I like the programs and I won't judge her too harshly on the jumps. She hasn't been to Canada in ages and has had rough starts the past few yrs. I believe we'll see better from her if she gets the chance. Her next event is way too soon tho :/

Kostornaia - I don't mind Billie Eilish but this music cut was dull and Not for her. I does nothing to highlight what makes her special. I get she wants to feel cool and I hope she's just getting this out of her system before a potential Olympics. I'm not optimistic about her jumping potential with the injury rumors and Plushenko's apparent disinterest. Excited about the idea of a Shae-Lynn long.

Trusova - I was very surprised by her improvement in the short. I'd like to see her skate it in a dress. The long was typical Trusova to me, no Juliet. I'm hoping they've been focusing on the short and will work on the long in the future. She might only have room in her head for quads. She obviously likes skating to fast music, I wish they had let her do that. And I'm happy she's at least starting with only 3 quads. Looks to be in great shape.

Scherbakova - I really like the short. She has actual expressions and a beautiful way of moving, minus her feet. You cant unsee them. It was better without the tights, she looks more mature this year. I didn't appreciate the Evgenia skid spiral, and she didn't look confident doing it. The long was nice but too one note, I couldn't get thru it a second time.

Valieva - another beautiful short. She obviously has a very talented body but suffers the same as Scherbakova in terms of a lazy feet. The long was bad. Despite the skating skills I honestly find her almost unwatchable. She's a little girl who almost never smiles. She skates because she's good at it; it doesn't appear to bring her any joy so it doesn't bring me any joy either.

Side note: before someone said the short program dresses were just for here, I was worried about what all the black indicated about Eteri's mood...

muffinplus

Shcherbakova's short dress was well suited to the the program, as I guess the program is about grief?

Frau Muller

From Puerto Rico…With Love! Not LatinX!
ok my thoughts...
Kolyada - the long was amazing obviously but the costume was pretty off to me. Too feminine for his carriage. ....
(Edit)
Trusova - I was very surprised by her improvement in the short. I'd like to see her skate it in a dress. The long was typical Trusova to me, no Juliet.

Kolyada’s Nureyev outfit was exactly as I had visualized...exactly as in the “White Crow” movie posters/promo spots.

Re Trusova - The play is Romeo & Juliet. There are many characters in the play beside Juliet. Trusova’s musical choices and power suggest someone else.

Last edited:

Frau Muller

From Puerto Rico…With Love! Not LatinX!
OR...the histrionics of Lady Capulet...danced or mimed to some of the music cuts in the program (powerful chest-beating stuff...I was almost expecting Trusova to fall on her knees, arch her back & beat the chest)!

Tinami Amori

Isn’t Boléro an orchestral piece without a storyline though? I don’t get how it’s inappropriate.
and there are several famous performances of Bolero in Russia, both considered classic.
Valieva's is closer to the modern/abstract one with Maya Plisetskaya, one reason is because in both performances the HANDS are highlighted.

The other one is this one, by Bolshoi.

Tinami Amori

Dmitry Aliev is back on ice, had his first on ice practice (per Rukavytzin his coach).

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, T&M, P&C
I am still in a good awe shock from Kolyada's program. Always loved his skating but this was special. One of the programs for the ages.
if he skates this clean at Worlds he has a shot at a medal and will probably be the most mesmerizing program of the night.
the tech content is not there (yet) to challenge multiple quad-king Chen but in PCS he should be about 20 points above Chen if he skates like usual.
That was a different league. Just fantastic. :swoon:

Judges will never give him that many higher points than Chen unless he lands the same number of quads cleanly. The winner is determined by the number of quads, not by the quality of skating. That’s what bothers me.

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, T&M, P&C

lala

Anastasia Tarakanova was filmed practicing on ice @ Army-of-Skaters Rink (not at her previous Snow Leopards rink where Panova is).

She went back to the small rink. :rolleyes: That was the Plushenko Academy's previous rink ;). I really like her skating but she can't stay with a coach for long. This is not good.

haribobo

Why is summer so hot omg

Today there are preliminary lists of participants in the first stage of the Russian Cup, announced by the Moscow Figure Skating Federation.

Men: Maxim Varakin, Daniyal Ibragimov, Artem Kovalev, Yegor Murashov, Roman Savosin, Alexander Samarin , Ilya Yablokov.

Women: Evgenia Medvedeva , Sofia Sarnovskaya, Kamila Sultanmagomedova, Anna Frolova, Maya Khromykh, Angelina Chaplygina, Anna Shcherbakova .

Couples: Evgenia Tarasova - Vladimir Morozov , Anastasia Balabanova - Alexey Svyatchenko.

Ice dancing: Sofia Shevchenko - Igor Eremenko, Svetlana Lizunova - Alexander Vakhnov, Yulia Tultseva - Anatoly Belovodchenko.

(based on this, it looks like Shulepov, Ignatov, Sinitsyna, Panfilova/Rylov, Morozov/ Bagin, Khudaberdieva/ Bazin have been removed since the original assignments, but we shall see for sure in a few days)

DobrinFan

(based on this, it looks like Shulepov, Ignatov, Sinitsyna, Panfilova/Rylov, Morozov/ Bagin, Khudaberdieva/ Bazin have been removed since the original assignments, but we shall see for sure in a few days)

This is just the list from the Moscow Federation, as you stated in your beginning sentence. These are their applicants. There are other federations as well. Sinitsina withdrew days ago. She is injured per her coach. Shulepov/Ignatov are from St. Petersburg, they do not use sportvokrug.ru to post assignments. Perm does not use sportvokrug either but Rylov needed emergency surgery, who knows if he will be ready. Morozov/Bagin represent Perm, K/B represent Moscow region/Samara region.

DobrinFan

Sinitsyna will miss the stage of the Russian Cup due to injury
The silver medalist of the 2020 Youth Olympic Games and the gold medalist of the team tournament of the Games in Lausanne, Ksenia Sinitsyna, will miss the stage of the Russian Cup in Syzran due to injury, the figure skater's coach Svetlana Panova told RIA Novosti.

Sinitsyna was supposed to perform at the test skates of the Russian national team skaters, held in Moscow. The first stage of the national cup will take place on September 18-22 in Syzran.

"Ksenia is injured," Panova answered by phone when asked why Sinitsyna was not among the participants in the skate. "She will definitely miss the stage of the Russian Cup in Syzran."

From Panfilova Instagram:
Dear friends, fans and figure skating fans!
Unfortunately, we will not be able to perform at the test skates of the Russian national team for health reasons.
My partner Dmitry underwent an urgent operation to remove the cyst and will be done soon to remove the tonsils, which gave complications in the form of a cyst.
We hope for your understanding and support.

elenok

Today there are preliminary lists of participants in the first stage of the Russian Cup, announced by the Moscow Figure Skating Federation.

Men: Maxim Varakin, Daniyal Ibragimov, Artem Kovalev, Yegor Murashov, Roman Savosin, Alexander Samarin , Ilya Yablokov.

Women: Evgenia Medvedeva , Sofia Sarnovskaya, Kamila Sultanmagomedova, Anna Frolova, Maya Khromykh, Angelina Chaplygina, Anna Shcherbakova .

Couples: Evgenia Tarasova - Vladimir Morozov , Anastasia Balabanova - Alexey Svyatchenko.

Ice dancing: Sofia Shevchenko - Igor Eremenko, Svetlana Lizunova - Alexander Vakhnov, Yulia Tultseva - Anatoly Belovodchenko.

This is just the list of the Moscow applicants for Stage 1.

Shulepov and Ignatov represent St Petersburg, Panfilova/Rylov and Morozov/Bagin represent Perm, Khudaiberdieva/Bazin represent Samara Region and Moscow Region (which is different to Moscow) so we won’t know if they are competing until we either see the full list or their respective regions publish their applicant lists (which they probably won’t).

Sinitsyna would be on the Moscow applicant list if she planned to compete but her coach has already publically said she’s injured/will not go to Syrazan.

(That being said it is likely that P/R will withdraw from Stage 1 as they may not have had time to prepare given Rylov’s surgery)

Also I took so long writing this that I didn’t see DobrinFan had already responded! Sorry for piling in on the issue.

Cherub721

YEAH!
Can someone refresh my memory on how qualification works? Is it based on placements or scores? I'm asking because I'm actually wondering if Medvedeva is at risk of not qualifying if she skates like she did this weekend.

haribobo

Why is summer so hot omg
Usually the JGP Final skaters and GP skaters get byes, and then its a points system by placement (similar to GP series) to qualify for Nationals, until 18 skaters qualify. This season, I guess more are doing 2 events and there might have to be some byes for international competition for some skaters who aren't ready for the cup?

hanca

Values her privacy
Can someone refresh my memory on how qualification works? Is it based on placements or scores? I'm asking because I'm actually wondering if Medvedeva is at risk of not qualifying if she skates like she did this weekend.
It is based on placements. But considering that skaters won’t qualify through GP events and JGPF, even fifth place will be safe to get in.

Sylvia

TBD
Posted earlier in this thread (Aug. 17 document): https://www.fsrussia.ru/novosti-fed...kikh-sorevnovaniyakh-sezona-2020-2021-gg.html
Rules for selection to Nationals has been published (google translated, Source (pdf): https://www.fsrussia.ru/files/docs/selection_principles_2020.pdf

Basic principles for the admission of athletes to participate in the basic All-Russian competitions of the season 2020-2021, including Russian championship and championship 2021.

Due to continuing restrictions in the context of conservation risks of the spread of ******** *********-19, cancellation of ISU the vast majority of international competitions, including junior Grand Prix series, and a fundamental change in format the stages of the adult Grand Prix, as well as in connection with a number of strict regulatory restrictions when conducting all-Russian competition, the Executive Committee of the FFKKR made the following decision, aimed at maintaining the conditions for the implementation of full competitive activity by leading adult and junior national teams of the country and their preparation for the main international starts - European, World Championships and Olympic Winter games.

For this purpose, the following basic principles have been developed and criteria defining and regulating the procedure and requirements admission of athletes to participate in the main all-Russian competitions the current season, including the Russian championship and championship in 2021.1.

1. Principles and criteria for admitting athletes to participate in the championship Russia 2021 (Chelyabinsk, December 23-27, 2020)
Only those will be allowed to participate in the Russian Championship 2021 athletes who took part in two (2) stages of the Russian Cup 2020 under the MS program, based on the amount of points scored on these stages (current table of scoring for places in stages Cup of Russia - Appendix 4 Regulations).
Note: Participation in the Russian Championship may also include athletes of junior composition of candidates for the national team are admitted team of Russia who have reached the age of 14 on July 1, 2020, who 2 participation in two stages of the Russian Cup this year under the MS program and who have collected the required amount of points based on the results of these stages.

2. Principles and criteria for admitting athletes to participate in the championship Russia 2021 (Krasnoyarsk, February 01-05, 2021)
Only those who are eligible to participate in the Russian Championship 2021 athletes who took part in two (2) stages of the Russian Cup 2020 for the CCM program, based on the amount of points scored on these stages (the current table of scoring for places in the stages Cup of Russia - Appendix 4 Regulations).
Note: To participate in the Championship of Russia without additional selection Juniors who have scored points in stages can be admitted Russian Cup 2020 the right to participate in the Russian Championship 2021 this juniors can participate in the stages of the Russian Cup only in one categories - either for the CCM program, or for the MS program.

3. Basic principles of distribution of candidates to the national team countries of the main squad for participation in the stages of the Russian Cup in 2020
Due to the complete cancellation in the season 2020-2021. junior Grand Prix series ISU and a fundamental change in the format of the adult series Grand Prix, it is planned that 5 stages of the Russian Cup - Rostelecom 2020 should take over the function of preseason international tournaments, which were the main control competitions for candidates in national teams of the country.

Concerning:
1. To carry out the distribution of athletes-candidates for the national team the Russian team to participate in the stages of the Russian Cup in accordance with existing principles and regulations of the ISU for the distribution participants at the stages of the Grand Prix.
2. As a basis for the distribution of athletes by stages of the Russian Cup accept the results of the 2020 Russian Championship in Krasnoyarsk.
3.Considering the requirements of Rospotrebnadzor, introduce the following restrictions at the stages of the Russian Cup in 2020 by the number eligible athletes:
  • in competitions among adults according to the MS program - up to 8 sports couples, 12 men, 12 women and 10 dance duets;
  • in junior competitions on the CCM program - up to 18 boys and 18 girls in single skating, up to 8 sports pairs and up to 15 dance duets.
4. Distribution of athletes-members of the main and reserve teams national team of the country to participate in the stages of the Russian Cup is determined by the Bureau of the Executive Committee of the FFKKR on the proposal of the main coach of the national team, taking into account the opinions of personal coaches and the leadership of the All-Russian Coaching Council.

Note:
• In connection with the complete cancellation of the ISU Junior Grand Prix series for participation in stages of the Russian Cup among adults, juniors may be admitted, who have reached the age of 14 as of July 1, 2020
• To participate in the stages of the Russian Cup among juniors for members of the main the junior team does not require selection for regional competitions.

DobrinFan

Usually the JGP Final skaters and GP skaters get byes, and then its a points system by placement (similar to GP series) to qualify for Nationals, until 18 skaters qualify. This season, I guess more are doing 2 events and there might have to be some byes for international competition for some skaters who aren't ready for the cup?

As of now, either you skate at 2 cup events or can kiss Nationals goodbye.

We will see if they change their stance later on.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information