From Russia with Love [#35]: Winter 2019

Rina RUS

To say the truth, I didn't think about Plushenko's business. Who cares? I don't want anyone to blame him. His advices were just funny. :) Not only the advice to Medvedeva. He also says in that article: "Maybe it's better to change citezenship for someone, it is the choice every skater does on her own. I'd even be friendly to that. We have many wonderful girls and boys. It is a sport, one should look for an opportunity to compete, to self-actualize. If one has a chance to represent another country - why not?"

I don't know why this second advice is funny too. :) Maybe because not all the Russians would be "friendly to that". Maybe just because giving advices is an easy job.
(It seems changing citezenship has nothing to do with his business? Anyway, who cares?) :)

karmena

hi guys.i almost did not make it - stupide accident.;wil be bcki 6 mos.litte internet.hug to all

Finally, Tinami Amore, a word from you! I notice your absence for a while and was pondering if something has happened to you...so I tried to PM you few times but no avail because I am blocked to PM you ( which is ok :)!). So glad you are in good spirit and on the way on recovery!
Most of the time ( if not always) I disagreed with you but, truly, your spicy/peppery presence is missed!
Be in good spirit and your journey to recovery!

Last edited:

hanca

Values her privacy
Finally, Tinami Amore, a word from you! I notice your absence for a while and was pondering if something has happened to you...so I tried to PM you few times but no avail because I am blocked to PM you ( which is ok :)!). So glad you are in good spirit and on the way on recovery!
Most of the time ( if not always) I disagreed with you but, truly, your spicy/peppery presence is missed!
Be in good spirit and your journey to recovery!
I also tried to PM you, @Tinami Amori . Its weird, when you are around I can’t resist trying to wind you up occasionally, but when you are not here, I miss you! Get better soon!

Aerobicidal

Shut that door.
What interviews have Leonova given recently?
Q: Isn’t it sad to lose to girls who are almost two times younger than you?

A: Bla bla bla, cha cha cha.

Q: Do you think Eteri Georgievna Tutberidze is an evil tyrant?

A: Cha cha cha, bla bla bla.

Q: What is your reaction to the controversy surrounding your husband's Holocostume?

A: Yadda yadda, cha bla cha.

(Google Translate is responsible for any inaccuracies in this translation.)

muffinplus

What interviews have Leonova given recently?

I have lost track... I think there are quotes from her in the Russia media posted every few days:

Ka3sha

Sports.ru podcast with Ruslan Zhiganshin
He doesn't share any :watch: details and doesn't throw dirt at anyone, just a very nice and thoughtful interview. I really enjoyed listening to him and the hosts.

After retirement he didn't even had a break or chance to think abut his future - he started working and coaching right away.
Says that boys of course have some privileges in this sport - just because there are only very few of them, especially in ice dance. Usually, special tryouts are being organized to create a team, coaching teams are choosing the best female partner for the boy and etc. He also notes that it is much more difficult to start working with a team when a boy is new to ice dance and a girl already has some experience - vice versa situation is way more convenient.
About ideal partner - just like in real life, you can't find an ideal partner because people are different and the best thing about partnership is an ability to find compromises.
You can always spot the difference between Russian and American teams, for example - while Americans calmly discuss everything, we (Russians) are arguing and raise voices at each other. Sometimes he even felt uncomfortable because of that.

As a skater he used to hate their Russian folk OD and even asked his older sister to talk to the coaches and change the music, but coaches word is a law, so he couldn't do anything with it. By the end of that season the dance had really grown on him and he truly enjoyed skating to that program. Now, as a coach, he believes that it's way better to skate to Russian folk dances at the age of 10 or 11 rather than to Moulin Rouge or Carmen - way more age appropriate, both audience and judges are smiling, everyone is happy and etc.
Personally, he had always wanted to skate to 'Singing in the Rain' , really enjoys this music.

In Russian Ice dance skaters are taught to do everything like it's written in handbooks, while in America coaches may ask you to do anything and you should do it and realize that it's possible (he use inside rolls as an example). Russian ice dance school still most focuses on classics, but you have to feel the freedom of movement in order to achieve results nowadays. But at the same time this flow and constant movements actually takes less energy than programs in classical style. It's extremely important to breathe well. He wished he would understood it earlier because it saves 20% of energy or even more while performing.

He would like to train in Montreal for some time just to get new experience and new look on the process. It's important to keep the balance between moving from one coach to another too often and getting new experience.

Skaters not only say that they don't understand how they got some levels and scores to look good, usually they really don't understand that. He recalls 2013 Universiade when Vika and he got 4 deductions in the free dance and didn't know for what. Ok, even of two of those deductions came from extended lifts, what about two other? Those K&C reactions then quickly became a popular mem on Russian social media :lol:

About Sochi Olympics - unique experience, the whole audience supported you and you got chills and were thrilled to take the ice. It seems that the ice was shaking in excitement as well. Very nervous but unforgettable experience that certainly was worth it.
The ice was not of the best quality there, ice in Novogorsk, Saransk and Quebec is way better, extremely great quality.

About the difference in size of the rinks in Russia and North America: it's very difficult to adjust, you have to control everything. The worse was with cha-cha-cha pattern.
He really enjoyed compulsory dances, thinks that he was good in it. Agrees with the host that the compulsories had always been a strength of Russian teams and school in general.

He doesn't like modern step sequences in ice dance - 'always want to ask and there exactly are the steps here?'. ISU reduced the amount of steps, before there were multiples difficult turns and steps and now step sequences are easier, more choreographic.

Last edited:

alchemy void

Post-its for the win.
I have lost track... I think there are quotes from her in the Russia media posted every few days:

That comments section isn't exactly charitable to Leonova. :rofl: :yikes:

Last edited:

Immortelle

Rejected by Krasnopolski
I stand corrected!
Come to think of it, Chris Hemsworth had hair like that in the first two Thor movies.

My point was that Trusova doesn’t present herself as “masculine” imo. She’s scrappy and hardworking, but those qualities have nothing to do with gender.
Agreed, it’s quite outdated these days to assign gender stereotypes!

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information