From Russia with Love [#35]: Winter 2019

Ka3sha

Boikova/Kozlovskii worked on their new SP for the next season with Aleksandr Zhulin. They spent 4 days working with him in Moscow. Now they returned to St Petersburg and continue preparations for the Montreal Worlds

Last edited:

Mad for Skating

Adelina Sotnikova was hospitalized today and undergone a surgery. No further information is given.

Oof, sending lots of love to her and wishes for a speedy recovery!

After hearing about Soldatova's situation, anything involving the word "hospitalization" is concerning. Good to hear it was nothing. Russian media sure likes stirring the pot.

PS. For those not familiar, Soldatova is a prominent Russian rhythmic gymnast who allegedly attempted suicide, which she denied. She did however disclose an going problem with bulimia. She's a stunningly beautiful 21 year old, trying to compete with young and/or smaller girls. The pressures of professional sports are brutal. Nothing is more dangerous than trying to keep young women in girls' bodies.

Ugh, I heard about that story. I casually watch rhythmic gymnastics from time to time and it came as such a surprise to me. I’m glad she’s still alive, but it’s still heartbreaking, especially since I knew who she was.
I’m so grateful that Adelina’s hospital wasn’t remotely that serious.

Sasha'sSpins

🇺🇦💙🙏💛🇺🇦
English translation of a post-Europeans interview with Trusova.

Key points: Trusova isn't currently training the triple axel and basically the rest is a lot about focusing on jumps. Trusova says her coaches are working on presentation with her, but she herself focuses on the jumps.

I really enjoyed this article on Sasha Trusova!

I finally understand something of her Free Skate! I've never watched Game of Thrones so for the longest I wondered who was Daenerys, why is she (I assume) cradling a baby at the beginning, and what in the world did the exclamation "Dracharys!" mean at the end of her program!
Now I understand! 🐲🐲🐲🔥🔥🔥:EVILLE::gallopin1

I'm afraid to find out though what became of the baby...:slinkaway

mjb52

I'm curious about B/K working on their short for next season so early. Is that a little unusual? I keep trying to ask and it keeps sounding accusatory like wHy aRe tHeY wOrKiNg on their short so early or whatever, which is not what I mean, it's just that usually I thought skaters do their programs for the following season during the summer so I'm a little curious that they are doing theirs now. I suppose since they are in St. Petersburg and Zhulin is in Moscow, maybe this is just when they can fit it in?

clairecloutier

I'm curious about B/K working on their short for next season so early. Is that a little unusual? I keep trying to ask and it keeps sounding accusatory like wHy aRe tHeY wOrKiNg on their short so early or whatever, which is not what I mean, it's just that usually I thought skaters do their programs for the following season during the summer so I'm a little curious that they are doing theirs now. I suppose since they are in St. Petersburg and Zhulin is in Moscow, maybe this is just when they can fit it in?

My impression is that many top skaters start listening to music and thinking about new programs during this time frame. But actually choreographing this early is maybe a little unusual.

Last edited:

Wyliefan

Ubering juniors against my will

I was curious too. Seems like it would be a distraction from training for Worlds. But I guess they and their team know what they can handle!

zebraswan

Eteri posted on Instagram yesterday that her interviews are not being translated properly. I always take translations with a grain of salt because there can always be some bias creeping in (I've seen it on here plenty of times) and things can always be misinterpreted by non-native speakers. I'm not saying Eteri never deserves criticism, but she must have found some pretty glaring errors if she went to the trouble of posting her objections.

mjb52

From what I saw about this particular interview on another site, this looks like a version that went from Russian to Japanese back to Russian and then to English. I always try to look at anything not in the original language as just pure data, like look for the facts sprinkled in, and not necessarily 100% ignore most everything else but definitely keep in mind that it's very subjective. I've been reading a lot of old S/K interviews now that I've become such a fan of theirs, and I've seen multiple translations of the same interview, and you can really see how small changes in wording can shift your perception of things. Even reading multiple interviews of different skaters, you can suddenly realize that wording you found confusing in one interview has come up again and must be a Russian idiom you didn't know about being translated.

A sort of goofy example along these lines is that for awhile I was watching the French dub of the animated show Hilda to try to improve my oral comprehension (didn't work too well but I tried!) and then to help I tried putting on the French subtitles so I could see the French to help me hear it better and they totally didn't match so I had to turn them off! I think the dubbed French and the French subtitles must have been done separately. It's also interesting reading different translations of the same poem.

Last edited:

Messalina

The Useful Advices rubric :)

(sorry, it was... just a funny link)

Definitely under the rubric "Things Plushenko is an expert in" :rofl:

And what business is it of his whether Medvedeva (along with the majority of senior ladies) does or does not have a quadruple sheepskin coat?

Last edited:

Ananas Astra

Get woke, go broke!
Plushenko is acting on behalf of his business. And on his wife's. They are pretty much doing everything in order to produce an even more scandalous second season of their real-life show (aka "The Russian Kardashians") than the first one.

muffinplus

There wasn't anything negative in the Trusova comment IMO... unless you are offended by gender stereotyping that is... but those who need to look for negativity will predictably find it...

Poor Leonova is getting hated on for giving interviews about everything and everyone in the skating world :lol:

Last edited:

zebraswan

Poor Leonova is getting hated on for giving interviews about everything and everyone in the skating world :lol:

I mean, is it any worse for her to give her opinion than some non-skating journalist or someone like Plush who has more titles, but will say anything for PR? Or even worse, his wife? Admittedly, I always found those Russian interviews with "experts" where they give some Captain Obvious opinions pretty silly - like "Expert: Gold medalist showed the best skating in the competition" :rofl: Pretty sure most of us could come to the same conclusion. But at the same time, I don't see anything worthy of hate. Someone asks her opinion and she gives it. I'd rather hear from her than Plush, Yags, Averbukh, etc.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information