From Russia with Love [#35]: Winter 2019

lily

New article on Zagitova's decision

Reads: "Alina Zagitova announces that she will suspend her career indefinitely"

To translate, go to settings in Google Chrome
Here is nothing new, someone speculates about Zagitova rather in a strange way.

her grace

Team Guignard/Fabbri
Asada, Koatner, Kim won the worlds several times after I remembered their names (aka their career was longer than 2-3 years in seniors).
Will give Tuktamysheva a benefit of a doubt.

Sotnikova/Zagitova/Medvedeva/Tsurskaya/Lipnitskaya - all showed up and disappeared after 2 years (am sceptical about Medvedeva making it to the team, never mind winning the Olympics).

I don't know why you're including Medvedeva in your list of skaters with short careers. Medvedeva has won a medal at Worlds or the Olympics for the last four seasons. She's hardly a "showed up and disappeared after two years" skater. She probably won't make the world team this year due to the depth in her country, not because she's no longer competitive with the rest of the world.

I also would like to see more longevity in the top lady skaters' careers, but I don't see that happening unless big changes are made to a) the way PCS is marked, b) the way PCS is valued in relation to TES and the way PCS is marked, c) the age requirements for Seniors or d) the way skaters qualify to Worlds, ex. increase the amount of spots a country can earn at Worlds, give medalists at GPF an automatic entry to Worlds without counting for their country's quota, or give world medalists an automatic entry to next year's Worlds).

layman

I have been studying the jump technique of the Eteri girls and they all have the same technique (to one degree or another)...the back spin technique that relies so much on the upper body. This applies also to Valieva and Kostornaia, who come from different schools of jumping. It's like the Eteri technique is being layered on top of the technique that they came with.

This does not bode well for the future and I see another wave of retirements in one to two years.

BTW puberty is real. It's not a fake fact, an inconvenience or a figment of the imagination. It's a fact of life.

Sylvia

TBD
Stolbova/Novoselov are out of Russian nationals. Officially,it’s his injury.
“They will miss the Russian championship. Novoselov has an injury, he struck his leg in training,” Gorshkov said over the phone.

On Saturday, December 14, in one of the shopping centers in Moscow, the main presentation of the show "Sleeping Beauty: The Legend of Two Kingdoms" was held, the main characters of which were Alina Zagitova, Tatiana Navka and Peter Tchernyshev (photos): https://rsport.ria.ru/20191214/1562400477.html

Tinami Amori

BTW puberty is real. It's not a fake fact, an inconvenience or a figment of the imagination. It's a fact of life.
Yes, puberty is real, body changes can affect sports.

But not only body changes at that time. A person also grows and develops emotionally and intellectually. As a result he/she may find "sports activities" not enough, want something different, develop new interests, change one's priorities, and leave the sport for other activities and self-realization.

Puberty does not only mean "body change", it is also a "mind change" and with that mind change, the sport may lose its value for that person.

Tinami Amori

:eek: I knew Eteri was savage, but damn.
She is not "savage". Alina has been viciously attacked, right now and in the past for the last 2 season. This is one of the reasons why her nerve system is shattered, and it affected her motivations. She was 15 at the time and now she is 17. She received physical threats, insults, put downs, aggressive sexual insults (not from freaks, but for intentional intimidation and coercion to leave) and had various strategies implemented against her to bring her down, not on "fan level", but by other coaches and people in FS administration, who used their authority and "paid" media.

Eteri and Gleikh are standing up for her, and telling people to stop harassing her and putting her down (for their own personal benefits, mostly in business).

Both, Eteri and Gleikh issued statements. I will translate both below.

Tinami Amori

Eteri's note:

Dear fans and supporters of figure skating. After reading, in a spare time, many of your interviews and comments, i decided to address you.

Please respect the decision of one of the greatest athletes and work of the whole coaching team, which led Alina Zagitova and other athletes to results which they will be proud of for the rest of their lives.

Dear Tamara Anatolievna Tarasov, in the three programmes skated by Alina Zagitova, she showed more results than some athletes in a 10 year span. It is regretful, that during Alina's highest accomplishments, you berated her so much. (sarcasm on)Maybe you did it out of great love for her. If that's the case, maybe we should wish some of your type of love and concern on other athletes (sarcasm off).

Evgeniy Plushenko, at present moment, no one can call you a COACH. You have not raised nor taught one single athlete anything. Your periodic attempts to purchase/buy, literally, yourself a ready-made athlete, simply only hinders the work of coaches. Your attempts to lure Alina into your club failed, not matter what you said to her, and how much you tried to belittle us as coaches behind our backs.

We wish you to raise at lease one of your own skaters. But that would require for you to come to training sessions. We wish you all the best and good health. TeamTuberidze.

-------

Tinami Amori

It’s American slang kids were saying a few years ago. It basically means “badass”, and I meant it as a compliment.
:D sorry.... it's a knee jerk reaction to word "savage" given there was a man who stated publicly in IG that he wants to cut up Eteri with a knife, and posted a foto of a dead animal.

now i'll translate Gleikh.. :lol:

barbk

I am READY for the mudslinging to begin. Nobody does drama like the Russians do.

It would be interesting to read an English translation of a Russian figure skating media training guide...if there even is one. (That said, I enjoy the Russian jousting a lot more than the Amerian platitudes. YMMV.)

Tinami Amori

"We are together and staying together! (team and Alina. my comment) We have many unrealized/unfinished creative ideas, which we will implement/design on ice together!

P.S. Regarding all inadequate comments/reactions - read TeamTuberidze message."

daniil_gleikhengauz
Verified
Мы были вместе и остаёмся вместе! У нас ещё много нереализованных творческих идей, которые мы будем воплощать на льду вместе!
P.S. А по поводу неадекватных комментариев читайте

AxelAnnie

Like a small boat on the ocean...
Tamara Moskvina received a “Man of an era in sports” award yesterday
And totally deserved. I think she is a Goddess!

Tinami Amori

Statement from President of the Russian Figure Skating Federation, Alexandre Gorshkov (re Zagitova)

- Russian Federation of Figure Skating with respect and understanding accepted the decision of the athlete (Alina Zagitova) and her coach (Eteri Tutberidze). Alina remains active member of the Russia Team.
--

Prior to that in the last RusTV #1 interview Alina said that she will not attempt to claim her spot on the Team for Europeans or Worlds.

She feels it is not right to claim if she does not skate at the Russian Nationals, because it is not "sportsman like" and she believes in principles of fair competition. (links to interview posted above and in Alina's announcement section).

Tinami Amori

Alexei Mishin makes statement about Alina Zagitova to TASS. But he is an old guy, and what he wishes her is VERY sexist, and leaves some questions over all... :D

"In wish her further success, similar to what she attained when she was younger. She became a young lady, and later she will become a wife and a grandmother. In all those aspects i want to wish her huge happiness".

I think he is telling her "to go have babies"......:rofl:

rfisher

Let the skating begin
Eteri's note:

Dear fans and supporters of figure skating. After reading, in a spare time, many of your interviews and comments, i decided to address you.

Please respect the decision of one of the greatest athletes and work of the whole coaching team, which led Alina Zagitova and other athletes to results which they will be proud of for the rest of their lives.

Dear Tamara Anatolievna Tarasov, in the three programmes skated by Alina Zagitova, she showed more results than some athletes in a 10 year span. It is regretful, that during Alina's highest accomplishments, you berated her so much. (sarcasm on)Maybe you did it out of great love for her. If that's the case, maybe we should wish some of your type of love and concern on other athletes (sarcasm off).

Evgeniy Plushenko, at present moment, no one can call you a COACH. You have not raised nor taught one single athlete anything. Your periodic attempts to purchase/buy, literally, yourself a ready-made athlete, simply only hinders the work of coaches. Your attempts to lure Alina into your club failed, not matter what you said to her, and how much you tried to belittle us as coaches behind our backs.

We wish you to raise at lease one of your own skaters. But that would require for you to come to training sessions. We wish you all the best and good health. TeamTuberidze.

-------
Don't feck with team Tuberidze. And, she's correct about Plushenko and Tarasova who has no power in Russia anymore. The Russian Fed knows where their winning single skaters come from.

hanca

Values her privacy
I wonder what she/her team will say then, especially when all three of 3A retire. Eteri can’t keep her white coat (as we say here in Russia) on forever.
3A will not retire so quickly. Even if one of them won the Olympics, there will be two of them left unhappy that they don’t have the gold, so they will stay.

GarrAargHrumph

I can kill you with my brain
Alexei Mishin makes statement about Alina Zagitova to TASS. But he is an old guy, and what he wishes her is VERY sexist, and leaves some questions over all... :D

"In wish her further success, similar to what she attained when she was younger. She became a young lady, and later she will become a wife and a grandmother. In all those aspects i want to wish her huge happiness".

Thank you for the translations.

Mad for Skating

I usually like Mishin and respect him for his work with Tuktamysheva, but this is ridiculous! Alina is 17 - way too young to be thinking about marriage and kids. She has many opportunities ahead of her in life, and that doesn’t automatically mean a husband and children must be part of her plans for the future. If that’s part of her life down the road, good for her, but no one should be forcing it on her before she’s ready.

That said, maybe Mishin didn’t intend it in a sexist way, and maybe that was considered perfectly fine to say back when he was younger (I recall Moskvina saying Alina and Liza would someday make beautiful brides after their careers are done and I don’t think she meant any harm), but times have changed. Ah, grandpa Mishin, it’s 2019. Maybe Liza can teach him a thing or two about women’s lib.

Sasha'sSpins

🇺🇦💙🙏💛🇺🇦
Thank you @TAHbKA for the translations! Much appreciated!

The only thing I want to add is that it makes me sad that Alina's career ended on such a down note. At least Evegenia & Liza are now skating for the "love of the game"... Yes, they try improve the technical content and want to win - but they seem at peace.

Alina's career hasn't ended until she says it has. Right now, per her interview she's basically taking a time out from competition but not from training. I'll believe it's over when she formally says so - not before.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information