From Russia with Love [#35]: Winter 2019

Bigbird

Btw, Stolbova/Novoselov withdrew from Golden Spin of Zagreb because they never showed up to the competition. I'm assuming she is still ill. :(

They are not coming back, this thing is hard and the pressure is too much.

Edit: I am not an insider, didn't mean to be harsh, it just seems that way. Happy to be wrong if possible.

Last edited:

Mad for Skating

They are not coming back, this thing is hard and the pressure is too much.

Edit: I am not an insider, didn't mean to be harsh, it just seems that way. Happy to be wrong if possible.

Now, now, let's not get pessimistic already. They had one rough free skate at their first event together. Even the greatest pairs have difficult times. She's probably just feeling under the weather. Let's just see if they skate at Russian Nationals before we talk about throwing in the towel.

love_skate2011

Banned Member
Pairs ranking in russian pecking order

1 Mishina / Galliamov
2 Tarasova / Morozov or Boikova / Kozlovski
3 Pavlyuchenko / Khodykin
4 Panfilova / Rylov
5 Akhanteva / Koleskov
6 Efimova / Korovin

Bigbird

I'm very nervous for the decision on Russia's fate on Monday from WADA, I have a very realistic fear for a blanket ban for Russian athletes. :yikes:
They will fight it tooth and nail and if that does not work they will put on their own Russian OGs.

Karen-W

How long do we have to wait for GP assignments?
No, they would have to sit out a season to skate for Australia and they would lose their Russian funding.
Well, losing the funding would be really difficult but it wouldn't even be a full season they'd have to sit out, would it? Their last international competition was last month so they'd miss the GP next season but they'd be back by 4CCs and Worlds next season if RusFed gave them their release now. Sure, it would hurt to miss the GP next fall but they'd certainly be competitive for top 4-5 at 4CCs, which is at least on par if not better than where they'd be as Russia 3 right now, and they'd go into Worlds as Australia's top team.

taz'smum

'Be Kind' - every skater has their own story
Well, losing the funding would be really difficult but it wouldn't even be a full season they'd have to sit out, would it? Their last international competition was last month so they'd miss the GP next season but they'd be back by 4CCs and Worlds next season if RusFed gave them their release now. Sure, it would hurt to miss the GP next fall but they'd certainly be competitive for top 4-5 at 4CCs, which is at least on par if not better than where they'd be as Russia 3 right now, and they'd go into Worlds as Australia's top team.

Assuming the Russian fed would give a release, I believe there is no funding for Australian skaters, so it would be a non-starter, as both Tiff and Jon are self-funding. Also they are not spring chickens, and probably would not go on beyond this Olympic cycle anyway

starrynight

Well, losing the funding would be really difficult but it wouldn't even be a full season they'd have to sit out, would it?

They'd have to get a release first. Russia already gave Australia a Junior World Champ in Ekaterina Alexandrovskaya.

As much as us Australians would be incredibly thrilled to get Jonathan and Tiffany, I'm not getting my hopes up.

And I suspect the funding thing is a big deal. Jonathan could have been to 3 Olympics for Australia already if he'd found a decent partner and stayed in Australia, but the funding packages Russia can offer are in a different universe.

taz'smum

'Be Kind' - every skater has their own story
An Olympics without Russia just sounds so boring, aside from my own emotions concerning this whole thing which are probably too heightened and borderline irrational at this point to try to put into words.

I understand your emotions.
I found it hard to see athletes compete in the last olympics who have already served doping bans, yet Russian athletes who had not served doping bans and had not failed any doping tests were not allowed to compete.

Mad for Skating

I'm very nervous for the decision on Russia's fate on Monday from WADA, I have a very realistic fear for a blanket ban for Russian athletes. :yikes:
THe GP final is a nice distraction....
I understand your emotions.
I found it hard to see athletes compete in the last olympics who have already served doping bans, yet Russian athletes who had not served doping bans and had not failed any doping tests were not allowed to compete.

Mama Tiff, I’m praying for the best for you and your team. I still can’t wrap my brain around how an entire country can get banned from the Olympics just because some athletes doped, and it feels very political to me. WADA claims to “protect clean athletes”, but it ended up hurting dozens of clean athletes by taking their flags and banning some clean athletes from the 2018 Olympics. That is not “fair sport”.
I support the Russian figure skating team no matter what <3

starrynight

I suppose figure skating fans don't view this the same way as other sports. Perhaps we would think differently if we were fans of a sport with a chronic doping problem.

But I'm reading that it wouldn't be a full ban? Just the same as what happened at the 2018 Olympics where athletes competed as 'Olympic Athletes from Russia'?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information