From Russia with Love [#35]: Winter 2019

rfisher

Let the skating begin
Mikhail Kolyada’s triple axel is back
I hope his sinus surgeries have finally straightened him out. I can't imagine trying to jump of spin with a chronic sinus infection. I'm looking forward to his return to competitive ice.

Tinami Amori

:D

Last edited:

hanca

Values her privacy
How are you Tinami? Please give us an update. I understand that you were in an accident? Maybe I'm wrong?
I am not sure how keen Tinami will be to share any personal information, considering that whatever she writes is being discussed elsewhere... e.g. ‘did she write it because she hit her head, or because she is on medication?’ ‘I think she must be on the mend because whatever she wrote is no different from the things she normally writes!’ Would you volunteer any information about yourself if those discussions were about you?

Japanfan

I am not sure how keen Tinami will be to share any personal information, considering that whatever she writes is being discussed elsewhere... e.g. ‘did she write it because she hit her head, or because she is on medication?’ ‘I think she must be on the mend because whatever she wrote is no different from the things she normally writes!’ Would you volunteer any information about yourself if those discussions were about you?

IDK. I never wrote anything like that. I hope Tinami knows that some of us here actually do like her and are interested in how she is doing. Personally I think she brings a lot of colour and interesting viewpoints to this board. :)

hanca

Values her privacy
IDK. I never wrote anything like that. I hope Tinami knows that some of us here actually do like her and are interested in how she is doing. Personally I think she brings a lot of colour and interesting viewpoints to this board. :)
I never suggested that it was you who wrote anything like that. My point was why should she share anything personal that will be immediately used against her?

Ka3sha

Moscow government banned all shows and events with more than 5,000 people. “Russia, Go” show was scheduled for March, 29th initially. So what did Russian Fed do? They decided to split one show on the 29th of March into two - morning and evening ones, so there would be less than 5,000 people in the audience :wall:

Regretla

Moscow government banned all shows and events with more than 5,000 people. “Russia, Go” show was scheduled for March, 29th initially. So what did Russian Fed do? They decided to split one show on the 29th of March into two - morning and evening ones, so there would be less than 5,000 people in the audience :wall:
They are inventive I give them that

Tinami Amori

I am hoping that seeing as you are providing us with so many articles that it is an indication that you are feeling quite a bit better... Thank-you for the articles and pls. provide us with a health update.
Thank you!
How are you Tinami? Please give us an update. I understand that you were in an accident? Maybe I'm wrong?
Thank you! i am better of course. the injury is hernia related, nothing to do with head or special meds.. I don't want to derail conv. from skating. Honestly, i appreciate the care, thank you guys.
--
Diana Picasso's message to Kamila Valieva, new one:

Last edited:

barbarafan

Thank you!

Thank you! i am better of course. the injury is hernia related, nothing to do with head or special meds.. I don't want to derail conv. from skating. Honestly, i appreciate the care, thank you guys.
--
Diana Picasso's message to Kamila Valieva, new one:
Thank-you for the update. I feel better knowing. Hope improvement steadily continues. (ok..I will switch off the inner Mom and get back to skating)
I feel very deprived that worlds ended up being cancelled but totally understand the arguments. Although Mtl is comparatively quite safe and some athletes may be safer here than at home at this time, the deluge of worldwide spectators could change that in a minute. It is just I love this yrs's programs of so many participants and I wanted to see them at peak for one more time.

Ka3sha

According to Maxim Trankov, Evgenia Tarasova has been struggling with leg injury for most of this season. They had some problems and didn’t want to make excuses, but now they are planning to focus on her health.

Last edited:

Cherub721

YEAH!
I think cancelling Worlds was the right decision but I do feel bad for the Russian ladies. Kostornaya was a favorite, Scherbakova had a big chance, and I was hoping to see Trusova peak at the end of the season like she did last year (not sure anyone could have stopped her!). That could have been been first sweep in decades at Worlds. And even in the other disciplines, Boikova/Kozlovsky and Sinitsina/Katsalapov seemed to be the best poised to possibly upset for the titles. Of course I feel bad for all the skaters but at least the other favorites have already won Worlds several times.

Amy L

Volosozhar/Trankov went to Florida to help T/M prepare for Worlds, and they took their 3 year old daughter with them. Tatiana noticed how it's impossible to find any antiviral or hygienic items and with the impending travel bans she's worried about not being able to go home. She asked for advice, for which most people told her that Russia is normal and she should just come home. She didn't say anything about flight plans - of course their plan was to stay up until Worlds, so they probably have to scramble to change things. If any Russian speakers have actual good advice for her, it'd be helpful to message her. She says she's trying remain positive and not worry too much, but she is very far away from home with a small child, and watching people around her panic is probably not very calming.

aka_gerbil

Rooting for the Underdogs
I cannot imagine being that far from home with all of this going on and being worried about getting home with my child. I wonder if they've been in contact with Sara Hurtado. She went back to Moscow from a visit to Spain and is having to to self-quarantine for 14 days. I think they should be able to get home, they will probably have to stay in their house for a couple of weeks. My understanding is that the ban is against people coming into the US from Europe, but that people can leave to go back.

Marco

I think cancelling Worlds was the right decision but I do feel bad for the Russian ladies. Kostornaya was a favorite, Scherbakova had a big chance, and I was hoping to see Trusova peak at the end of the season like she did last year (not sure anyone could have stopped her!). That could have been been first sweep in decades at Worlds. And even in the other disciplines, Boikova/Kozlovsky and Sinitsina/Katsalapov seemed to be the best poised to possibly upset for the titles. Of course I feel bad for all the skaters but at least the other favorites have already won Worlds several times.

Absolutely. These 3 ladies are primed for these Worlds. They are far and away the top 3 for this season and with Kihira being the only possible threat but would still involve some mistakes by Trusova. Who knows if they can maintain consistency on the big jumps and overall if their bodies continue to grow? There could be growth spurts, there could be injuries. Heck, with the likes of Valieva coming up, who knows if all 3 or any 1 could still make the world team next season. RUS doesn't mind keeping the world champ at home so I doubt all the international wins by Kostornaya means anything. This is sports and things happen - but it is still quite sad as these particular 3 do have something special.

Boikova/Kozlovsky and Sinitsina/Katsalapov winning the 2020 titles wouldn't have been that much of an upset since they have been dominating much of the season and matching the scores of the defending champs. S&K already beat P&C at Euros, no matter how controversially. B&K's Euro scores beat S&H's 4CCs scores by a lot as well.

Bigbird

And in light of what's happening now, everyone's focus may be elsewhere....

But OTOH, isn't Maxim with the family in Florida? Can she contact Elena Ilinykh and family for assistance and support? There are so many ways of making sanitizers: diluted bleach, vinegar with hydrogen peroxide, aloe vera gel with ethanol, white rum, just washing hands with pure soap and water. Hope she doesn't panic much and gets the needed help.

Japanfan

Absolutely. These 3 ladies are primed for these Worlds. They are far and away the top 3 for this season and with Kihira being the only possible threat but would still involve some mistakes by Trusova. Who knows if they can maintain consistency on the big jumps and overall if their bodies continue to grow? There could be growth spurts, there could be injuries. Heck, with the likes of Valieva coming up, who knows if all 3 or any 1 could still make the world team next season. RUS doesn't mind keeping the world champ at home so I doubt all the international wins by Kostornaya means anything. This is sports and things happen - but it is still quite sad as these particular 3 do have something special.

It's sad in general, not just for the three skaters you mention. Opportunities will be lost and gained due to the cancellation. The time skaters have put into preparing for Worlds will be lost.

But at the end of the the day FS is only a sport. It matters not in comparison to what may be a global pandemic and kill millions.

Foolhardy Ham Lint

ChelleC

Anti-quad activist
Aleksandra Trusova posted a run-through skate from practice (5 quads, all landed)

::sigh:: What might have been.

The thing about the cancellation that really gets to me is the thought that one of the 3A probably just lost her only chance at a world title.

starrynight

On the other hand, not having Worlds this year could actually be a benefit in that it has removed the pressure cooker for the time being. It may be that they will be able to have a break and commence preparations for the new season calmly without the emotions or pressures from Worlds.

And it might actually extend their careers a bit, as we won't have a skater who is 15 who has already won everything.

It's interesting. In the end, we've got a trial of the proposed increase in age, as in the end these girls won't be able to attend Worlds until they are 16/17.

thvu

Usova's Apprentice
Aleksandra Trusova posted a run-through skate from practice (5 quads, all landed)
Wow. In competition, that would be an unbeatable skate. There's just too much base value for anyone else to contend with. I definitely feel for the 3As. Most likely, they all would have had their first Worlds Medal, and one, a first World Title.

kwanfan1818

RIP D-10
I think there is only a small chance the age increase will pass, but even if it does, there's no reason to think they won't grandfather in younger skaters with stellar results, like they did the last time, ie, medalists at Jr. Worlds, which covers the 3A's and this year's podium.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information