From Russia with Love [#35]: Winter 2019

clairecloutier

I don't think this has been posted yet? ... It is a recent interview with Fedor Klimov, who is now a member of the important ISU Technical Committee for Singles & Pairs Skating. Klimov talks about his work with the committee and some issues around the development of pairs skating. Worth a read.

Aerobicidal

Shut that door.
Tinami has her very own "troll farm" on call to attack anyone who posts anything less than glowing praise for all Russian skaters no matter what they do?
I am at least 25 percent ethnically Russian, I have a Russian-Jewish surname, and I have been writing anti-American posts on FSU for ten years. I expect a generous check from Tinami to arrive in my mailbox in the near future.

barbarafan

I am at least 25 percent ethnically Russian, I have a Russian-Jewish surname, and I have been writing anti-American posts on FSU for ten years. I expect a generous check from Tinami to arrive in my mailbox in the near future.
Yes a big check and mayyybbeeee a big promotion. Is there such thing as a troll-in-chief?

rfisher

Let the skating begin
We were just talking about Polina Korobeynikova the other day. I think she was the last skater to go down under the crushing weight of the Black Mark of Esta.

Aerobicidal

Shut that door.
Never been called an asshat before! Guess I can’t say anything positive or negative about any Russian now.
Being told off by Tinami should be a badge of pride. You're a real FSU member now. Say whatever you want.

I'm rooting for the Georgians to win ice dance tomorrow, but a) they're really Russian and b) I would be happy if the other two podium spots went to teams representing Russia.

starrynight

I don't think this has been posted yet? ... It is a recent interview with Fedor Klimov, who is now a member of the important ISU Technical Committee for Singles & Pairs Skating. Klimov talks about his work with the committee and some issues around the development of pairs skating. Worth a read.

This has been translated by FS Gossips:

Also this interview with Mozer where she makes some good points about all pairs doing the same elements:

I would just be so pleased by a pairs team that didn't do the twist as the first element in a program. (Although I think that's the power of a great twist for some teams, as it's always the first element - apples for apples - and the judges can get their first impression.)

Mad for Skating

I did know about this event, but I didn't notice the day, when they finally showed it on TV. I noticed this video only today, but it seems it wasn't posted.

This is the anniversary of Igor Krutoi (many skaters participate).
In the beginning Krutoi says all this music was written by him - besides one composition.

the singers:
Lara Fabian, Andrea Bocelli, Dimash Kudaibergen, Aida Garifullina, Brio Sonores, Igor Krutoi

the skaters (in order):
Betina Popova, Sergei Mozgov
Elena Radionova
Maria Petrova, Alexei Tikhonov
Ivan Righini
Mark Lukin
Albena Denkova, Maxim Staviski, Vladimir Besedin, Alexei Polishuk, Evgeni Kuznetsov, Alisa Dvoyeglazova
Adelina Sotnikova
Alisa Efimova, Alexander Korovin
Oxana Domnina, Maxim Shabalin, Roman Kostomarov
Ekaterina Bobrova, Dmitri Soloviev
Alexandra Stepanova, Ivan Bukin
Margarita Drobyazko, Povilas Vanagas
Tatiana Totmianina, Maxim Marinin
Alexei Yagudin
Victoria Sinitsina, Nikita Katsalapov
Tatiana Navka, Roman Kostomarov

Wow, what an epic lineup! I am curious though, it lists Efimova/Korovin still skating together - I'm assuming that won't be.

Excellent interview! He seems to cover all the main issues diplomatically but honestly, and I'm glad that there are athletes who have competed under the Code of Points working for the ISU. It really helps to have people who know the system from the other side. Fedor Klimov for ISU president, perhaps?

Rina RUS

Wow, what an epic lineup! I am curious though, it lists Efimova/Korovin still skating together - I'm assuming that won't be.
I said it wasn't really new. I just didn't notice in January, that TV finally showed the event which had taken place in November. So if the video is interesting for you, it was in my post. :)

I think Dimash Kudaibergen's singing finally becomes really epic. I had an impession before, that a song turned into some pieces of a song, when he tried to show all the capabilities of his voice. Of course, his voice is amazing, but working with such a voice isn't an easy job. As for this video, the songs Kudaibergen sings sound really epic. :)

Last edited:

Japanfan

Elena Ilinykh and her boyfriend, Sergei Polunin, welcome their son on January, 16th

Congratulations :)

Jan. 16? :confused: So she had the baby already? Or did you mean March 16?

mjb52

:rofl: Even though Russia only has one medal in junior ice dance, all but one skater of the 6 medalists are Russian. The Russian fed needs to ponder this.

Kolesnik is Ukrainian and Naryzhnyy was born in Ukraine, so it's really not so far off.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information