From Russia with love [#28]: Autumn to Winter 2017

SamuraiK

Aliev is a Rukavicin skater. That says it all.

Exactly. And judging by Rukavicin's own body language in the K&C he's as much as a nervous headcase as his pupils. They need someone strong like Mishin that can give them confidence.

Ka3sha

Few interviews translated by FS-gossips
- with Alina Zagitova: "Don Quixote” is actually a very balanced program"
In the short program you had a small mistake, which, like a bewitched one, haunts you throughout the first half of the season. It is surprising, because in a free program you do the same combination absolutely calmly, without problems.

– I do not have an exact answer, yet. I think it’s all in my mind. We need to remove the error from there and everything will work out. It happened that in training I even began to be afraid of this element because of mistakes. It was fixed at the level of sensations, as if something was squeezing inside. According to the plot of the program, this is the place where I turn from a white swan into a black one. In the free program, I just go and do this combination. Perhaps, I think much over this element in the short program.

Your programs with jumps in the second part are now being discussed a lot. For many, this is unusual, for someone, for example, they seem unbalanced.

– I don’t agree. There are, of course, such programs when you endure two minutes and then jumps begin. But “Don Quixote” is actually a very balanced program. Even at the beginning everything is put musically, there are accents, there are moments of coquetry with the audience and all the jumps in the second part are also put into musical accents.

- with Ekaterina Bobrova and Dmitri Soloviev: "At this stage of my life I want to end with figure skating"
Ekaterina, this Nationals are going to be the last ones for you?

Katya: No. We’re taking a break. I’m under tremendous pressure from the coach and partner (laughs). And Zhulin told me: “Don’t worry, I’ll tell you how to return in a year.”

What if Dmitry will want to continue skating without you? Are you ready for this?

Katya: Yes. At this stage of my life I want to end with figure skating, but no one knows how it will be later, for sure I will not throw the skates away. Who could be Dima’s potential partner? I will not say anything, or they’ll “eat” me lock, stock and barrel.

Dmitri, doesn’t the moment when you’ll have to team up with another skater scare you?

Dima: No. I feel a surge of strength and I want to skate. But what will happen next it’s difficult to understand. If we’re skipping the season for sure then everything will depend on Katya.

Dmitri, you became a seven-time national champion and got used to guaranteed leadership and getting into the national team. Are you ready to start from scratch with a new partner and fight for a place in the national team?

Dima: If I feel that potentially it could fail, I will not even try. Not that age.

- with Mikhail Kolyada: "Once I was given underpants"
It's only a part of the interview, the rest of the interview is here (in Russian): https://rsport.ria.ru/interview/20171225/1130546821.html

ice crystal

Posted in TSL thread but repost here -

Recap of Russian Nationals on TSL

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m6SJW3Zo-p8&t=3373s

I liked the lady they had on as a guest, Dina Kuznetsova... she seemed very cool.

Yes, very watchable, insightful and well spoken. Even going to the one-and-half hour mark, her contribution held my attention throughout. Looking forward to hearing more of her.

Sylvia

TBD
So, Voronov has a chance if Samarin and Aliev turn in subpar performances?
@olympic, are you asking about the possibility of Russia considering selecting Voronov for Worlds? My assumption is that the fed. wants to develop the next generation of men and so if Samarin and/or Aliev do well enough at Euros (and one of them at the Olympics), it will be hard for Voronov to get a second chance this season. I wonder if he will consider competing in the Russia Cup Final? It overlaps (Feb. 19-23 in Velikiy Novgorod) the end of the Olympics and if he skates cleanly there with all three 4Ts landed, who knows?

ETA: Alexander Lakernik on Russian Nationals: http://fsrussia.ru/intervyu/3504-al...-na-kusochki-i-eti-kusochki-ochen-raznye.html
Google translated excerpt:

On the one hand, our boys seem to have mastered complex elements, with which it is possible to compete and win, but now with a pure rental of an arbitrary [long] program is not yet possible. Although individual starts show that there is a real potential. The whole question is, will it be possible to implement it at the Olympics?
As a result, first place, retaining the title of the champion of Russia, was occupied by Mikhail Kolyada, due to sufficiently high ratings for the components of the program. The second was Alexander Samarin. Third - Dmitry Aliev. But skating each of them is not even satisfactory.
Unfortunately, only the fourth was Sergei Voronov, who this season successfully and consistently performed at international tournaments, stages and finals of the Grand Prix, but the second consecutive year failed to gather at the Russian Championship.

Last edited:

olympic

@olympic, are you asking about the possibility of Russia considering selecting Voronov for Worlds? My assumption is that the fed. wants to develop the next generation of men and so if Samarin and/or Aliev do well enough at Euros (and one of them at the Olympics), it will be hard for Voronov to get a second chance this season. I wonder if he will consider competing in the Russia Cup Final? It overlaps (Feb. 19-23 in Velikiy Novgorod) the end of the Olympics and if he skates cleanly there with all three 4Ts landed, who knows?

ETA: Alexander Lakernik on Russian Nationals: http://fsrussia.ru/intervyu/3504-al...-na-kusochki-i-eti-kusochki-ochen-raznye.html
Google translated excerpt:

On the one hand, our boys seem to have mastered complex elements, with which it is possible to compete and win, but now with a pure rental of an arbitrary [long] program is not yet possible. Although individual starts show that there is a real potential. The whole question is, will it be possible to implement it at the Olympics?
As a result, first place, retaining the title of the champion of Russia, was occupied by Mikhail Kolyada, due to sufficiently high ratings for the components of the program. The second was Alexander Samarin. Third - Dmitry Aliev. But skating each of them is not even satisfactory.
Unfortunately, only the fourth was Sergei Voronov, who this season successfully and consistently performed at international tournaments, stages and finals of the Grand Prix, but the second consecutive year failed to gather at the Russian Championship.

@Sylvia I meant the Russian Fed selecting him for the Olympics. But, your post from Lakernik does not seem very positive. BTW, I forgot Russia only has 2 spots for men. So, I doubt he would make it.

Mad for Skating

@Moka-Ananas Now there's no need to get nasty about it.
Is Sergei the top guy in competition? Certainly not.
Could he medal at the Olympics? No.
Has he skated better this season than Samarin and Aliev? Yes.

Samarin is talented, but he can't put up the big scores any more consistently than Voronov. That's why I believe in my heart that Voronov deserves the spot. When Samarin nails his jumps and puts up a score of 300 like he'll eventually be capable of, I'll happily welcome him to the 2022 team. He's just not ready yet.

D

Deleted member 40371

@Moka-Ananas Now there's no need to get nasty about it.
Is Sergei the top guy in competition? Certainly not.
Could he medal at the Olympics? No.
Has he skated better this season than Samarin and Aliev? Yes.

Samarin is talented, but he can't put up the big scores any more consistently than Voronov. That's why I believe in my heart that Voronov deserves the spot. When Samarin nails his jumps and puts up a score of 300 like he'll eventually be capable of, I'll happily welcome him to the 2022 team. He's just not ready yet.
There was nothing nasty in the comment. Voronov blew his chance two years in a row, and ended up finishing 4th at the nationals. I wanted him to medal at GPF, but here he was disappointing. As you said he is not going to medal at the Olympics, and this competition is not one off where he blew his chance. On the other hand Samarin is young, as you put it has potential to score 300 ( your words not mine), he could end up as medal prospect if he can score that high ( not sure that is going to happen), but considering all these I don’t see there is any need to override the National result for a guy since you want to give a good bye gift.

I certainly think Aliev is a better prospect along with Kolyada for the future. I am sorry for Voronov, but not enough to quash dreams of two young skaters who manage to outscore Voronov at the national championship. I have to add, I am more sorry for Liza Tukt, Radionova, Pogoripaya and other girls who have a world medal ur can’t go to olympics.

Mad for Skating

@Domshabfan It's not about a goodbye gift. It's about who is the right skater for the job. If we're going to talk about blowing chances at comps that happened years ago, then I guess Tarasova/Morozov shouldn't be contenders because they were 8th at Nationals back in 2014 lol.
Basically it's the Ashley vs Mirai debate all over again. It's getting real old tbh

VGThuy

I really don’t see anything in Voronov’s results that should overtake Aliev and Samarin’s higher placements at Nationals and it’s one of those :confused: for me that people feel like there’s some serious injustice at play to start a bitterly-written petition that sh*ts on the other two skaters.

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, T&M, P&C
Are there any updates on Medvedeva's progress? May be its posted somewhere but I missed it? I did read that she has started practicing but I have not read about her triple jumps yet. Is she practicing those?

Ka3sha

Are there any updates on Medvedeva's progress? May be its posted somewhere but I missed it? I did read that she has started practicing but I have not read about her triple jumps yet. Is she practicing those?
She spent her New Year’s Eve at the rink (see her stories on Instagram ), I think it’s quite telling :)
Am not sure about the links and proof, but I think she has already started working on her 3-3 combos some days ago according to Russian tv

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, T&M, P&C
There was nothing nasty in the comment. Voronov blew his chance two years in a row, and ended up finishing 4th at the nationals. I wanted him to medal at GPF, but here he was disappointing. As you said he is not going to medal at the Olympics, and this competition is not one off where he blew his chance. On the other hand Samarin is young, as you put it has potential to score 300 ( your words not mine), he could end up as medal prospect if he can score that high ( not sure that is going to happen), but considering all these I don’t see there is any need to override the National result for a guy since you want to give a good bye gift.

I certainly think Aliev is a better prospect along with Kolyada for the future. I am sorry for Voronov, but not enough to quash dreams of two young skaters who manage to outscore Voronov at the national championship. I have to add, I am more sorry for Liza Tukt, Radionova, Pogoripaya and other girls who have a world medal ur can’t go to olympics.

I agree about selecting spots with the future in mind. However, neither Samarin nor Aliev showed promise during the GP series. Both have a tendency to implode, and Kolyada is not that reliable either. When it comes to the worlds, I think a team of Kolyada and Voronov would be less risky, and they may even have a chance to get three spots in 2019.

Voronov was not going to win a medal at the GPF, given the competition. I think a well skated 4th place was very respectable for him. So I wouldn't use that argument against him.

I really don’t see anything in Voronov’s results that should overtake Aliev and Samarin’s higher placements at Nationals and it’s one of those :confused: for me that people feel like there’s some serious injustice at play to start a bitterly-written petition that sh*ts on the other two skaters.

I didn't feel that the petition was bitterly written. At the RN nobody skated well. It's not like Aliev and Samaria were much better than Voronov. Neither youngster won a GP medal, while Voronov made it to the GPF- a rarity for a Russian man these days. It's not like Voronov finished 10th at the RN. He was right behind the youngsters. IMO based on that, he deserves at least a consideration, if not the actual spot. I can understand selecting a younger skater for the Olympics, and developing him. I don't think it was unreasonable to petition for Voronov because he did have a much better season than the other two skaters.

Last edited:

VGThuy

I think if one thinks it’s not unreasonable to choose Samarin and Aliev even if you disagree with choosing them over Voronov and think Voronov’s GP results should have been taken into consideration more heavily then a petition is unreasonable. A petition like this is usually done for blatant or outrageous robberies IMO. I do think those who wrote and signed the petition really do think Voronov did so much better to warrant a spot at Euros over Samarin or Aliev. That is what making me :confused:. I get he has fans here and a story, but I don’t think the actual results or performances really warrant such an outcry. And I do think it’s pretty disrespectful to Samarin and Aliev no matter how you feel about their skating.

VGThuy

@VIETgrlTerifa, to quote Brother Mouzone from The Wire - what's done is done. Voronov wasn't chosen for the team despite the petition so why are you continuing to harp on it?

Because people (meaning more than me) are still talking about Voronov being out on the team. It’s just a few posts above if you scroll up.

Dobre

It's not about youth vs. experience to me.

It's about who came out ahead at Russian Nationals.

Aliev, Samarin, & Voronov all had enough of a track record to be in the mix. They were all in the same boat competitive-wise. Aliev & Samarin had the junior world medals & multiple JGP medals heading into the season. Voronov had the solid GP. If Voronov had rotated & landed his jumps like he's been doing on the GP, he would be headed for Europeans. If Samarin & Aliev had hit everything in their toolboxes, they would likely have outstripped him. It's a shame the FPs at Nationals were such a hot mess all around, but that has been the name of the game in the men's event often enough. (Mura really skated about as well as he could at Japanese Nationals, yet no real argument there ironically).

On the negative side, the petition is your classic underestimating of the young guys who haven't had time to build up a senior fan base yet. On the positive side--and to Voronov's credit--it's about people who value a skater who has been in the sport a long time & appreciate how well he has done throughout a season.

I'm very happy for Voronov, actually. Two years ago, he was a disaster. Couldn't seem to get through a program to save his life. But he came back last year with a clean skate at Skate America and had a great GP this season. Will Samarin & Aliev have careers that are more or equally successful? Impossible to know at this point. Are they good enough to make the Russian men's European team this time around? Yep.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information