Following

once_upon

Better off than 2020
I recently discovered the "following" status on my profile page.

What does that allow the person following me to do, have access to?

Is there anyway to remove a person from following me? It sort of creeps me out to have found this status, especially not knowing what it means.

skatingguy

decently
The only thing that I know that it does is show the Avatar of the people you follow on the right hand side of the Home page above the list of members that are online.

once_upon

Better off than 2020
No - I'm talking about people who follow me. There is at least two that I'm wondering why they are following me and it creeps me out - I'd like to know what that status does specifically and if I can change that status.

Plus want to know if I can adjust any setting that would disable someone from following me.

skatingguy

decently
If you go into the Privacy settings, and uncheck the boxes that allow the site to show that you are online, and what threads you are reading.

once_upon

Better off than 2020
If you go into the Privacy settings, and uncheck the boxes that allow the site to show that you are online, and what threads you are reading.
Shouldn't be showing. I had that set for years. Just checked again

But again that's not my questions.
What does following allow people to see?
What does it mean?
When do they see it -notified when I post or what?
How can I block or remove them as following me?
Frankly there are several who follow me that I creep me out

Last edited:

quartz

scratching at the light
well I just looked and I can’t see anyone following me, but apparently I was following 4 people, and one of them was @once_upon , and I do not remember clicking anything to follow these people and so now I have unfollowed them all. 🤷🏼‍♀️

once_upon

Better off than 2020
well I just looked and I can’t see anyone following me, but apparently I was following 4 people, and one of them was @once_upon , and I do not remember clicking anything to follow these people and so now I have unfollowed them all. 🤷🏼‍♀️
It wasn't you, you could have followed me. Whatever that means

Server Guy

Administrator
Staff member
What does following allow people to see?
Nothing more than what anyone else can already see -- the content you've posted here publicly and your last visited status (if you're choosing to share that publicly, see below).
What does it mean?
They clicked the button on your profile to "follow" you. Your posts (that they have permission to view) are included in their personalised news feed along with posts of anyone else they follow.
When do they see it -notified when I post or what?
There is no notification. They'll just see it when they navigate to their personalised news feed.
How can I block or remove them as following me?
You can adjust your privacy settings here to prevent people from following you and/or whether people can see when you last visited. You can't remove existing followers.
but I never meant to follow anyone at all - that’s the weird thing, I don’t recall ever selecting anything to allow me to follow certain posters in the first place. :lol:
The software behind FSU has changed in the time you've both been registered so it's probable that the previous version called it something else.

miffy

Bad Brit
Staff member
The software behind FSU has changed in the time you've both been registered so it's probable that the previous version called it something else.
I thought it would be that - I looked who I am ‘following’ and it is lots of lovely FSUers I used to chat to lots nearly 20 years ago. I can’t remember but maybe it just used to be called ‘favourites’ or something like that. I’m not sure the term ‘followers’ even existed back then :lol:

Simone411

To Boldly Explore Figure Skating Around The World
Same here. I've asked the question before because I've seen on occasion where it shows people I follow when I sign in and was wondering how I'm following them. :lol:

Simone411

Well, I just figured out how to unfollow a person and it was simple. @Sparks, I like you very much, and I've seen on occasion where I'm following you and a couple of other people. I don't know how I even selected the option to "follow" to begin with. I also didn't wish for you to think I was following you every time I came here. So I "unfollowed" you and the other two members also. :lol:

once_upon

Better off than 2020
How do I remove people from currently following me. I believe I had/have stuff set so they couldn't. I assume it's a holdover from previous

tony

Throwing the (rule)book at them
How do I remove people from currently following me. I believe I had/have stuff set so they couldn't. I assume it's a holdover from previous
I can't speak for Server Guy or the admins, but I think you are putting too much energy into worrying about this. As far as I can see it, following someone doesn't mean shit. There doesn't seem to be a feed of what they post. If you set your profile to limited (or however it's done), then people can't even see your profile information on FSU whether they 'follow' or not AFAIK.

People follow me and I followed some of them back and it never amounted to anything.

ETA- I'm following you and when I go to your profile it says:

Oops! We ran into some problems.​

This member limits who may view their full profile.

So- like I said, pointless.

ETA2- I see the News Feed Server Guy referenced, which I had never gone to before. But again, all of this is pointless (third time!) when any paying member of FSU can just do a search of posts by user name and find all of them (at least in the areas the person searching has access to).

Last edited:

Simone411

I don't know how you unfollow someone. But when you do come online or sign in, you'll see the admins. that are here first up in the top right. It then shows "people you follow" underneath them to the right. If you don't wish to follow them, simply put your curser over their profile picture to highlight it, and it will give an option to unfollow them.

As far as others following me, I'm not sure where to look for that and it doesn't really bother me if anyone is following me.

Japanfan

When you click on your username - the icon at the top of the computer, following comes up on the menu. Click to see who you are following and you have the option of selecting unfollow.

That is the case for me.

I was following two people - know the deal with the first one, but no idea how I came to follow the second one, I don't even recognize the poster.

Vagabond

I was following two people - know the deal with the first one, but no idea how I came to follow the second one, I don't even recognize the poster.
It used to be that when others "followed" you (or whatever it was called at the time), you automatically became their follower too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information