Figure Skating Baby News!

Sylvia

TBD
A beautiful and very unusual name. I wonder if Todd is a motorsport fan? Ayrton is not a common first name in the Western world.
Yes, Eldredge confirmed on Twitter that his son is named after the Brazilian F1 racing driver, Ayrton Senna:
"amazing driver & proud to name my son after such an amazing man. Maybe he'll grow up to race one day."

misskarne

Handy Emergency Backup Mode
Yes, Eldredge confirmed on Twitter that his son is named after the Brazilian F1 racing driver, Ayrton Senna:
"amazing driver & proud to name my son after such an amazing man. Maybe he'll grow up to race one day."

I suspected as much. There have been a few more Ayrtons getting around lately with the release of "Senna" and his nephew, Bruno, doing quite well in F1.

misskarne

Congratulations to all the new families!

How do you pronounce Ayrton?

Luckily (or unluckily) in almost every interview Bruno does someone asks him about his uncle. The way Bruno says it is "Eye-ton" with a very short "o" sound. Since is a) Brazilian and b) related I'll go with how he says it! :lol: Most Westerners pronounce it Air-tn, I've found. Murray Walker of the BBC once switched to saying it properly and got heaps of angry letters from fans telling him to stop pronouncing Senna's name like a pompous idiot! :rofl:

(I've also heard it said Eye-air-ton, which seems to be some kind of bastardised inbetween version used by US commentators.)

paskatefan

^ He used to. I don't think he has it anymore (someone asked him about it on his Facebook wall), but he does have a Corvette (and loves auto racing as a sport), in addition to golf.

Last edited:

aftershocks

Banned Member
Congrats to Todd, his fiancee and his family! Such a very handsome little boy! Love his inspired name. First I've learned about Ayrton Senna (as I am not that in to racing car scene), but wow -- Todd has named his son after a very cool, brave man! Senna is a national hero in Brazil and an international hero in the world of F1 racing. Haven't seen the documentary on Senna's life and career but it must be a wonderful tribute.

So it seems that Todd isn't interested in his son growing up to be a figure skater as he surely understands first hand what an unforgiving and difficult pursuit that can be. Race car driving of course has its own set of dangers and challenges, but at least judges aren't always involved in deciding whether you crossed the finish line first.

I think golf might be a safer pursuit, but all good luck to Ayrton Zen Eldredge in whatever he does. Enjoy every moment with your son, Todd!

liv

Me too. I still cry whenever I read a particulary moving article or something about him.... watching the documentary was bitter sweet for me. It was great to see it, but sad to know the outcome.

I read recently that more people visit his grave every year than the graves of Marilyn Monroe, Elvis and JFK put together. That's amazing.

Aussie Willy

Hates both vegemite and peanut butter
^ He used to. I don't think he has it anymore (someone asked him about it on his Facebook wall), but he does have a Corvette (and loves auto racing as a sport), in addition to golf.
That isn't really a sensible baby friendly vehicle :lol:

And there won't be any time for golf now.

misskarne

Me too. I still cry whenever I read a particulary moving article or something about him.... watching the documentary was bitter sweet for me. It was great to see it, but sad to know the outcome.

I went and saw it three times in the cinemas and have just about worn out the DVD, and every time without fail I start bawling when they show Roland Ratzenberger. From then on it's just a sob-fest til the end. :(

On my second viewing, there was a lady in there who watches documentaries just for fun. We were the only two people in the cinema. At the end she came up to me and asked if I had known how it was going to end. I told her of course. She didn't know! She didn't know anything about motorsport and didn't realise that Ayrton had died.

Sylvia

TBD
I don't believe there was a public announcement, but reportedly Rena Inoue and John Baldwin became proud parents of a baby girl in early November of 2011.

Also born in November 2011 was a son, Zayin Nicholas Jahnke, to Ryan Jahnke and his wife Tashiana (their first child).

ETA:
Todd Eldredge tweeted this new photo on 5/29 ("My baby boy Ayrton's first racing suit! ‪#Ferrari‬ driver in the making!!!"): http://twitter.com/toddeldredge/status/207487696363458562/photo/1/large

Last edited:

PashaFan

I went and saw it three times in the cinemas and have just about worn out the DVD, and every time without fail I start bawling when they show Roland Ratzenberger. From then on it's just a sob-fest til the end. :(

On my second viewing, there was a lady in there who watches documentaries just for fun. We were the only two people in the cinema. At the end she came up to me and asked if I had known how it was going to end. I told her of course. She didn't know! She didn't know anything about motorsport and didn't realise that Ayrton had died.

I have to say that the image of them taking Senna from the car still makes me cry. It also still shocks me too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information