Figure skaters that drew you into Figure Skating?

Areski

So what was your first ''love'' among Figure Skaters? :D Who drew you in at first? Or did you follow it without having your darlings? My first faves were Yagudin & :ap1: (Anissina / Peizerat) around 1998. They really drew me into this sport.

Have you ever had skating ''crush'', as a child I was mesmerized by Maria Butyrskaya beauty :p

Last edited:

gk_891

Midori Ito and Oksana Grishuk & Evgeni Platov
And to a lesser extent Gordeeva & Grinkov and Mishkutenok & Dmitriev

My love for Klimova & Ponomarenko and Torvill & Dean came a little later

Simone411

To Boldly Explore Figure Skating Around The World
Peggy, Dorothy, Jozef (Jumpin' Joe), Bryan Orser, Katarina, Rosalynn and Scott. My mom loved watching the Olympics, and I credit her for me falling in love with Figure Skating. We so looked forward to watching the Olympics. The 1984 Olympics was the last Winter Olympics she got to see since she passed away in 1987. I know that my mom would have loved so many of the skaters now if she was alive to see and watch them.

I truly believe she would have loved Michelle Kwan, Todd Eldredge and probably all of the skaters like I do. <3

VGThuy

Michelle Kwan. She's the reason for my skating obsession and why my poor family and now friends and fiancé have to endure it. When I saw her Nagano LP, I was never the same.

Berezhnaya/Sikharulidze and Sale/Pelletier introduced me to the beauty of pair skating and Shen/Zhao brought it to new heights.

Anissina/Peizerat were my introduction to and first love in ice dance and it's now my favorite discipline.

Alexei Yagudin made me realize Mens skating was more exciting to watch than the ladies.

The 1999-2002 were my real formative years in developing me into a well-rounded skating fan. 2002-2006 was my maturation period.

el henry

#WeAllWeGot #WeAllWeNeed
Peggy, Dorothy, Jozef (Jumpin' Joe), Bryan Orser, Katarina, Rosalynn and Scott. My mom loved watching the Olympics, and I credit her for me falling in love with Figure Skating. We so looked forward to watching the Olympics. The 1984 Olympics was the last Winter Olympics she got to see since she passed away in 1987. I know that my mom would have loved so many of the skaters now if she was alive to see and watch them.

I truly believe she would have loved Michelle Kwan, Todd Eldredge and probably all of the skaters like I do. <3

Your post about your mother resonates with me, Simone411. My mom is the reason I sat in front of a black and white TV and watched Toller on Wide World of Sports. She was the first FS fan among Henry's!:D

She passed in October 2013, and it sounds silly, but one of the things I think about is how much she would have *looooved* Jason. More than me, (yes that's possible;)) But somehow, I do think she's watching:saint:

Simone411

To Boldly Explore Figure Skating Around The World
Your post about your mother resonates with me, Simone411. My mom is the reason I sat in front of a black and white TV and watched Toller on Wide World of Sports. She was the first FS fan among Henry's!:D

She passed in October 2013, and it sounds silly, but one of the things I think about is how much she would have *looooved* Jason. More than me, (yes that's possible;)) But somehow, I do think she's watching:saint:
You are so right! I had to make me a seat belt for my wheelchair for whenever I watch Jason skate! I forgot and jumped up one time with glee when I saw his River Dance program. I nearly fell, and that's when I realized I better be secure from then on!

I think my mom would have loved Jason, too, because of how much I love him. ITA about your mom watching. I think my mom's watching too! <3

Lanie

the uberdom chooses YOU
Gordeeva/Grinkov. One of my earliest memories, period, is watching them skate!

I also remember watching Torvill and Dean in 1994 (I was 8); my dad talked about them like they were Jesus walking on water. He was roiling in jealousy that I met Christopher Dean at Worlds in Boston. Heh.

bardtoob

Boitano, Witt, Thomas, Ito, Harding, and Yamaguchi got my attention . . . but I became a fan when I saw this 13 year old Michelle Kwan, who was both competing against Harding and was still recorded at the side of the rink saying, "Wow!!!" when Harding did her 3Lz, then she delivered at Worlds in 1994, then she out jumped everybody at 1995 Worlds, then she won Worlds in 1996 . . . I just liked her.

Shyjosie

When watching FS as a child, it was the era of soviet skaters, and I admired pairs skater Irina Rodnina: for her persistance, her athleticism and her dominance. I couldn't express it like this back then but I think that either Ulanov and Zaitsev were just there for the ride. All attention was on her.
When I came back to FS in the early 90s after a long break, it were Klimova/Ponomarenko who caught my attention. ....but my heart went out to the Duchesnays, and stayed with them. I like their athletic, strong skating, and also their personalities. They made me get back to figure skating myself after a 10-year break.

paskatefan

Brian Orser - 1984, and the "Battle of the Brians" in 1988
Midori Ito - 1988
Katia & Sergei - 1988

Since then - Kurt Browning, Paul Wylie, Todd Eldredge, Michelle Kwan, Yuka Sato, Sasha Cohen, Satoko Miahara, Fumie Suguri, Mao Asada, Shizuka Arakawa, Miki Ando, Mirai Nagasu, Allissa Czisny, Elvis Stojko, Jeff Buttle, Matt Savoie, Max Aaron, Adam Rippon, Jason Brown, Sean Rabbitt, Javi Fernandez, Michal Brezina, Ross Miner, Ilia Kulik, Taka Kozuka, Nathan Chen, Tanith & Ben, the Shibs, Meryl & Charlie, B&K, K&O, Amanda Evora & Mark Ladwig, Maddie Aaron & Max Settledge, Shen & Zhao, Sui & Han, Aliona & Robin (& now with Bruno), Lyubov I. & Dylan Moskovitch, ...

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information