Fans are really getting out of hand

MsZem

I see the sea
I'm sorry to say that ugly behavior has long been an issue among a small subset of fans. It went on during the Mao Asada-Yuna Kim years, it was directed at Adelina Sotnikova when she won her OGM, it led Gabriella Papadakis to publicly ask people to be kinder on social media, and certainly Mariah Bell was targeted after the Eunsoo Lim incident. Those are just a few examples that came to mind.

Most skating fans are supportive of their favorites, and if they bitch about those they dislike, it's done in fan spaces and not targeted at the skaters themselves. Hopefully, the skaters can focus on the support they get and not on the ugliness.

Finsta

Poor Medvedeva. After all the harassment and hate from Russia and the fans in Russia, now she dealing with this hatred from Japanese. I know one poster in the board that will love this moment. But most of us support all skaters and know they work hard. I hope Medvedeva can keep head up and keep skating. Don’t let hate of russia And japan make you unhappy or quit. Those people are not fans of skating. They are obsessive and mean

russell30

Unfortunately it is the World we live in now, Social Media has taken over a lot of the young people's minds IMO...there is no respect for others anymore particular towards elders! (sorry if i have gone off the subject!) They are more interested in looking at there phones every second of the day...sad world!! really causes a lot of hatred and abuse. Getting back to the subject I will be very surprised this is from the Japanese...more like someone - an outsider at the Event!!

starrynight

I guess this is nothing new ... although the method of a seemingly hand-delivered written note is more tangible and perhaps a lot more sinister than the venomous tweets which seems to be the more common medium of choice these days.

It's also a lot to deliver such a note at an event where a skater is physically present. On the other hand, I think a lot of those individuals on twitter who bully skaters don't actually understand that the skaters are real life people.

But I find it depressing. My enjoyment of skating has occasionally been tarnished by online trolls bullying skaters I like. It gets to the point where it can make following the sport unpleasant because you feel bad for your favourite skaters whenever you look for information about them online and see all of the garbage.

Last edited:

barbarafan

Poor Medvedeva. After all the harassment and hate from Russia and the fans in Russia, now she dealing with this hatred from Japanese. I know one poster in the board that will love this moment. But most of us support all skaters and know they work hard. I hope Medvedeva can keep head up and keep skating. Don’t let hate of russia And japan make you unhappy or quit. Those people are not fans of skating. They are obsessive and mean
and they belong under a bridge.

VGThuy

I might be missing something, but what do Yuzu fans have against Med? The last time I saw a Fanyu attack was against Nathan when he called Michelle Kwan a "GOAT" at a Yale event a month or so ago, but used two goat emojis. Because of that, they all went crazy on him thinking he was calling himself a Goat. Then when corrected by him and his sister, some of them started attacking Kwan saying she wasn't a "GOAT" to defend their awful behavior.

MsZem

I see the sea
I really hope that Hanyu will be able to live a normal life post-skating. Harassment and abuse are unacceptable, but the over-the-top adoration by some of the Fanyus is pretty scary as well.

IceAlisa

discriminating and persnickety ballet aficionado
I might be missing something, but what do Yuzu fans have against Med? The last time I saw a Fanyu attack was against Nathan when he called Michelle Kwan a "GOAT" at a Yale event a month or so ago, but used two goat emojis. Because of that, they all went crazy on him thinking he was calling himself a Goat. Then when corrected by him and his sister, some of them started attacking Kwan saying she wasn't a "GOAT" to defend their awful behavior.
There was this silly but persistent shipping rumor on social media. It has no foundation in reality but some very special fanyus latched on, got jealous (how creepy is that) and went after Med

VGThuy

It’s one disturbed person. Medvedeva is extremely popular in Japan.

Heard that this was sent by fax as well so umm yeah social media... 🤷‍♂️

I guess social media was to blame for poison pen letters back in the day too. :lol:

Yeah, hate mail has existed long before social media. The only thing I think social media does when it comes to this sort of unhinged behavior is get people from different parts of the world together and helps them stew in their misery for much longer as they have other people keeping them there with them. People were getting all sorts of unhinged things sent to them since forever.

One story that jumps that out to me out of billions, probably, I remember reading a story of actress Sally Ann Howes doing a musical on Broadway with a black leading actor that featured interracial love back in 1961, and some man sent her used toilet paper in the mail because he was against intermingling of the races.

Was it sent from 1986? ;)

Funny enough, so many still use faxes professionally. From my experience, other law firms, many doctor's offices when sending HIPPA requests, and Court Houses that still may require formats like "Word Perfect" and refuse to take phone calls and NEVER accept emails (no email address info provided to the public either) but accept faxes.

Tinami Amori

Poor Medvedeva. After all the harassment and hate from Russia and the fans in Russia, now she dealing with this hatred from Japanese. I know one poster in the board that will love this moment.
There is a difference between "hate/harassment", like this letter, and critique of someone's public actions, behavior, and social media messages.

This letter from "supposed" Hanyu's fan, is certainly not inspired by Hanyu himself, and he should not be blamed, as he is friendly and cordial with Medvedeva all these years, and certainly would not encourage or approve such actions. There has never been anything but support from fans for Hanyu/Medvedeva relationship all these years.

Johnny Weir received death threats back when he was competing...
Yes, i remember, and that was awful, and he received several, for no reason other that his life style. Such threats are not acceptable, but the senders are rarely found, and even if found, rarely penalized.

Recently a russian video-blogger, Elena Rodina, who is a rabid Medvedeva fan, literally called on other fans to punch Alina Zagitova in the face (for taking Medvedeva's spot light), and called her a whore. Later she, while not denying it, played it off as a "mistake". Alina and her agents also did nothing about it, nor mentioned it, nor reacted. I wish they did, because if not for a public outrage, this woman would still continue her threats, since it was not the first time she did it (but the ones before had "less violence"). Nothing was done about it, and now Rodina is interviewing other skaters and appearing on sports TV.

The situation with "few rabid Hanyu fans" started back in Fall 2018 at the TCC. It did hit the social media circles.
This information. Not justification for that note.

- A major Japanese TV network sent a crew to TCC to do a "TV special/interview" with Hanyu. Medvedeva was in the rink at the time. Apparently she, as people said, was interfering with the filming, by coming up to Hanyu while he was filmed/interviewed, and trying to hug him, or give him "horns at the back of his head", trying to keep attention on herself, to get into the shots and get publicity (since Japan market is her target, and she wants to stay in the lime light). The TV crew asked Medvedeva to step aside, to leave Hanyu alone and stay out of the shots, and their request was quite serious and clear. The observers put this incident out on social media, and there were discussions going on for a while by Hanyu's fans and others.

- Very recently another event took place with Medvedeva, that riled up some japanese skating fans, not just fans of Hanyu.

On May 25th, in Japan, during Fantasy on Ice show in progress, an 5.1 earthquake took place. Plushenko just started his programme, but had to step off the ice. Medvedeva just skated before him. The arena shook, and everyone was concerned as earthquakes is a serious matter in Japan, as we all know. The Russian group was being filmed (informally) at this time, and Medvedeva jumps in front and said that she (in casual russian) "(it's happening) because i skated", which in grammatical russian would be "my fantastic skating cause the earth to shake".

For the Japan, laughing about causing an earthquake, is not a laughing matter. Her comment was viewed not as "evil intended" but certainly as insensitive, self-centered and self absorbed. For a person who time after time yells on every corner how much she loves, admires, respects the Japanese Culture, she certainly did not make some people happy.

It was on the news. a quick find, is a Russian coverage (japanese is hard to look for, due to language).
"Medvedeva made fun of earthquake in Japan. Not everyone found it amusing".

Besides the opinion that Medvedeva, yet again, trying to promote herself at every opportunity and pushing herself into people's faces, without any regard for the surrounding situation, the aspect of the "earthquake in Japan" and her jokes, yes, rallied up "rabid japanese fans"...

Further more, some Hanyu's japanese fans, who are following Medvedeva as well because she is often in the picture in same events as Hanyu, are suspecting that this is yet another Med's attempt to seek publicity by inspiring another wave of pity. That it is a trick. That the day after Uno announces working with Tutberidze, Medvedeva (or her agents) set up another situation to take attention on to her. One japanese poster did a letter analysis on the note Medvedeva received, and found similarities between her normal writings and the note...

Weather it is true or not, this is not the first time Medvedeva has been suspected of "creating situations herself for publicity", although the previous ones did not hit the news (except for having some old 40-year old fart calling her traitor, and turning it into "the whole Russian hates me").

I am certain of one thing. Hanyu had nothing to do with this, nor approves of it.

IceAlisa

Yes @VIETgrlTerifa all the medical offices where I work still use fax and scan the hard copy into the system. So annoying. Doesn’t mean they aren’t on social media.

As to the evil evil Med, whoever heard of using humor to diffuse a scary situation? Not the Russians, not ever! Even the article linked said that might have been Med’s way of dealing with potential danger. But still she’s so evil! Made the sign of Satan above Hanyu’s head during the filming at TCC!!! Get out your pitchforks, people!!

The good news is that under Johnny’s post there are hundreds of messages of support for Med in Japanese, English, and Russian.

Last edited:

Finsta

There is a difference between "hate/harassment", like this letter, and critique of someone's public actions, behavior, and social media messages.

This letter from "supposed" Hanyu's fan, is certainly not inspired by Hanyu himself, and he should not be blamed, as he is friendly and cordial with Medvedeva all these years, and certainly would not encourage or approve such actions. There has never been anything but support from fans for Hanyu/Medvedeva relationship all these years.

Yes, i remember, and that was awful, and he received several, for no reason other that his life style. Such threats are not acceptable, but the senders are rarely found, and even if found, rarely penalized.

Recently a russian video-blogger, Elena Rodina, who is a rabid Medvedeva fan, literally called on other fans to punch Alina Zagitova in the face (for taking Medvedeva's spot light), and called her a whore. Later she, while not denying it, played it off as a "mistake". Alina and her agents also did nothing about it, nor mentioned it, nor reacted. I wish they did, because if not for a public outrage, this woman would still continue her threats, since it was not the first time she did it (but the ones before had "less violence"). Nothing was done about it, and now Rodina is interviewing other skaters and appearing on sports TV.

The situation with "few rabid Hanyu fans" started back in Fall 2018 at the TCC. It did hit the social media circles.
This information. Not justification for that note.

- A major Japanese TV network sent a crew to TCC to do a "TV special/interview" with Hanyu. Medvedeva was in the rink at the time. Apparently she, as people said, was interfering with the filming, by coming up to Hanyu while he was filmed/interviewed, and trying to hug him, or give him "horns at the back of his head", trying to keep attention on herself, to get into the shots and get publicity (since Japan market is her target, and she wants to stay in the lime light). The TV crew asked Medvedeva to step aside, to leave Hanyu alone and stay out of the shots, and their request was quite serious and clear. The observers put this incident out on social media, and there were discussions going on for a while by Hanyu's fans and others.

- Very recently another event took place with Medvedeva, that riled up some japanese skating fans, not just fans of Hanyu.

On May 25th, in Japan, during Fantasy on Ice show in progress, an 5.1 earthquake took place. Plushenko just started his programme, but had to step off the ice. Medvedeva just skated before him. The arena shook, and everyone was concerned as earthquakes is a serious matter in Japan, as we all know. The Russian group was being filmed (informally) at this time, and Medvedeva jumps in front and said that she (in casual russian) "(it's happening) because i skated", which in grammatical russian would be "my fantastic skating cause the earth to shake".

For the Japan, laughing about causing an earthquake, is not a laughing matter. Her comment was viewed not as "evil intended" but certainly as insensitive, self-centered and self absorbed. For a person who time after time yells on every corner how much she loves, admires, respects the Japanese Culture, she certainly did not make some people happy.

It was on the news. a quick find, is a Russian coverage (japanese is hard to look for, due to language).

Besides the opinion that Medvedeva, yet again, trying to promote herself at every opportunity and pushing herself into people's faces, without any regard for the surrounding situation, the aspect of the "earthquake in Japan" and her jokes, yes, rallied up "rabid japanese fans"...

Further more, some Hanyu's japanese fans, who are following Medvedeva as well because she is often in the picture in same events as Hanyu, are suspecting that this is yet another Med's attempt to seek publicity by inspiring another wave of pity. That it is a trick. That the day after Uno announces working with Tutberidze, Medvedeva (or her agents) set up another situation to take attention on to her. One japanese poster did a letter analysis on the note Medvedeva received, and found similarities between her normal writings and the note...

Weather it is true or not, this is not the first time Medvedeva has been suspected of "creating situations herself for publicity", although the previous ones did not hit the news (except for having some old 40-year old fart calling her traitor, and turning it into "the whole Russian hates me").

I am certain of one thing. Hanyu had nothing to do with this, nor approves of it.

We all know of your extreme hatred for Medvedeva and Uber love for Zagitova. Nothing you posted will make others hate Medvedeva or think this threat by japan to get was right. Sometimes you thinking is very scary. So much hate.

Perky Shae Lynn

Trying to justify this letter is just as crazy as the letter itself. You would blame anything on Medvedeva. Literally, anything.

IceAlisa

Med has responded saying (summary) this isn’t the first or the second or the third time something like this has happened but that it didn’t deter her from having a great show. She’s grateful to have a good friend like Johnny

allezfred

In A Fake Snowball Fight

So I did a search in Japanese for the terms "Medvedeva" and "earthquake" and the only thing that came up was this link to the Japanese version of the Russian government back website Sputnik:

The article said there were a number of people (presumably Japanese, but who knows?) who were offended by her making a joke about the earthquake. So I took a look at her Instagram post. Out of the 1,563 comments (most of which were in Russian), there was a total of one negative comment in Japanese (actually pretty much like the hate mail Medvedeva received in English). One.

Report card for Tinami: Must try harder. ;)

starrynight

I really hope that Hanyu will be able to live a normal life post-skating. Harassment and abuse are unacceptable, but the over-the-top adoration by some of the Fanyus is pretty scary as well.

I think Hanyu is fortunate in that he himself seems to have a very friendly personality and is (despite all the pressures he is under) very willing to socialise and have fun with fellow skaters. He is also sportsmanlike and thank goodness he has never indulged in fostering bitter rivalries with anyone. I think that assists in making it the case that the way some of his fans act doesn't alienate other skaters from him.

Because it can be like that with these big fandoms. For example, in ice dance, anyone that crosses paths too much (either on ice or off ice) with Virtue/Moir needs to watch out for inevitable backlash.

I would guess that Hanyu is able to live fairly anonymously in Toronto - so that's something for him. For him, I think that after he retires, taking up some study in a foreign country like the US, Canada or the UK etc for a period might be a very good idea so he can get some breathing space to live normally for a while.

IceAlisa

If you think Tinami is the only one who doesn't like Medvedeva , go look at Russian forums.
Pass. But I will go look on Med’s insta to read those Russian comments.

ETA: @allezfred could you please provide a link to the post in question? I looked but didn’t see one with the thousand comments

Last edited:

Gris

不做奴才做公民
I think Hanyu is fortunate in that he himself seems to have a very friendly personality and is (despite all the pressures he is under) very willing to socialise and have fun with fellow skaters. He is also sportsmanlike and thank goodness he has never indulged in fostering bitter rivalries with anyone. I think that assists in making it the case that the way some of his fans act doesn't alienate other skaters from him.

He's also very wise in not having social media accounts ;)

Tinami's not alone, though. On Chinese forum Fanyus are now condemning Medvedeva and Weir for being drama queens and stealing the show from Hanyu :rolleyes:

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information