Count those CROSSOVERS!!!!!

On My Own

Punishment: If you get the answer wrong, you're racist.

(This has to do with this BTW: https://twitter.com/SkatingScores/status/1737642061556519187 and the replies underneath it and various adult skaters + Meagan Duhamel joining in)

But the humour aside, I'm also curious how many you'd count? Six or more or less? Did you count the "crossunders" or not? Is there literally any difference, at least in figure skating? Is it just a simple difference in language?

Does it actually matter, because the skating's slow as shit, he changed the music to a tinkling piano version, and the entire thing's absolutely horrifyingly boring and you'd lose count halfway through because your head's going to hit the keyboard as you dose off anyway? This is also a serious question. Does number of crossovers matter when the choreography's so boring? Whether 1 or 50?

Would you take a program with many well done crossovers (absolutely a sign of good skating skills) versus fewer crossovers a la Eteri girls?

Last edited:

morqet

rising like a phoenix
I got to 5 "full" crossovers before the first jump, so I am highly sceptical that there's only one more in the whole program. But I have presents to wrap and mince pies to eat rather than doing any more counting. :40beers:

On My Own

I got to 5 "full" crossovers before the first jump, so I am highly sceptical that there's only one more in the whole program. But I have presents to wrap and mince pies to eat rather than doing any more counting. :40beers:
Same, I think? And hey, enjoy Christmas! Maybe this can be the FSU Christmas game. :lol:

Rukia

A Southern, hot-blooded temperamental individual
omg are we doing this again whyyyyyy

also just because he is doing less crossovers doesn't mean he's not using other moves to generate power. Like you can see him put both feet down and almost do a little slalom push multiple times but that doesn't technically count as a "crossover." There's nothing wrong with generating power lol.

emason

Would you take a program with many well done crossovers (absolutely a sign of good skating skills) versus fewer crossovers a la Eteri girls?
I remember Tiffany and Johnnie Steigler at a late 90s competition (Philadelphia Nats 98?) where I was mesmerized by their crossovers; perfectly in sync and absolutely beautiful. I didn’t care about anything else in the program; I just wanted to see those crossovers. Word on the street was that Rodnina spent a lot of their practice time drilling them on the crossovers.

On My Own

also just because he is doing less crossovers doesn't mean he's not using other moves to generate power. Like you can see him put both feet down and almost do a little slalom push multiple times but that doesn't technically count as a "crossover." There's nothing wrong with generating power lol.
Is his basic skating supposed to be oh-so-outstanding... He was obviously good. But why are we pretending simply technically he was anywhere close to being the best. Never a fan of those knees.

And they think it's 'harder to generate power' in other ways so... yeah. That's the reason they're bringing it up, to 'prove' even the power generation is being done with added difficulty.

And yeah, you can see him pushing. Although I will say he used to use his lean to maintain speed and flow well.

Uno does many crossovers, but he tends to vary their intensity with the music. Which matters to me, as well, even if not to 🕳️ fans.

ETA: Maybe it was a ploy to give his SP more views all along :rofl:

Last edited:

On My Own

I remember Tiffany and Johnnie Steigler at a late 90s competition (Philadelphia Nats 98?) where I was mesmerized by their crossovers; perfectly in sync and absolutely beautiful. I didn’t care about anything else in the program; I just wanted to see those crossovers. Word on the street was that Rodnina spent a lot of their practice time drilling them on the crossovers.
I think beautiful skating doesn't need "few" crossovers or whatever. Sure maybe several crossovers are simpler than the other kind of programs, but if they're done well, I don't see the problem.

Kim Yuna was another one who was criticized for doing "too many" crossovers, but she used to get so much power out of each one, and was visibly faster than pretty much every other woman. I think another thing I remember is that some automatically assume it's a sign of worse basics, which is ridiculous.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information