Eteri Tutberidze TV interview with V. Posner @ Russia-1

Tinami Amori

Channel one removed all videos but their own. No english subtitles. translation tbd.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0mTs3GwrMpg

-----------

Eteri Tutberidze TV interview with Vladimir Posner on ch. Russia-1. (52 min)
English subtitles available. Press function "cc" on the screen to select English captions.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D3K6a5jtySg

for those not familiar with the programme, the standard feature on Posner's show, at the end, is to ask few standard personal questions, which are know as: "Marcel Proust Questionnaire". it is not out of context, but part of each show.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Proust_Questionnaire

Last edited:

Alez

don't bother with this video. Subtitles are not on point there. They are horrible and highly inaccurate. Also this YouTube account is known for digging too much into skaters' personal lives, random periscope or ig-live bloopers. They are stalkers in a way. They are after cheap scandalism and views.

Good subtitles are coming soon. There are few other videos with Tutberidze's interview, I heard Russian fans are already working on good subtitles for those. I propose we just wait. I heard this was rather mellow, but interesting interview. Although there is really nothing new we had not knew before since the last year or so.

Tinami Amori

don't bother with this video. Subtitles are not on point there. They are horrible and highly inaccurate. Also this YouTube account is known for digging too much into skaters' personal lives, random periscope or ig-live bloopers. They are stalkers in a way. They are after cheap scandalism and views.

Good subtitles are coming soon. There are few other videos with Tutberidze's interview, I heard Russian fans are already working on good subtitles for those. I propose we just wait. I heard this was rather mellow, but interesting interview. Although there is really nothing new we had not knew before since the last year or so.

If you find new videos with English subtitles, or even a translated transcript, please post, that would be great!

Because all videos, other than the official one from Channel #1, were removed by request from youtube. :mad:
At present only the official one is left, without translation.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0mTs3GwrMpg

I know you're Tutberidze/Sambo/skaters fan, and wish good for the team, but i don't agree that the youtube account for G-FK is as bad as you described it. His youtube account has only videos of Sambo skaters and coaches, skating and their own videos. There are no scandals, or "private" intrusions. (and i don't know who this guy is, just watch his vids sometimes). https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCDsMG2V6EJBX81wUn5S5Emw/videos

And his IG account posts only what skaters themselves put out on "stories" and other social media. Yes, some of what they say is "scandalous", but they chose to say it and to posted it to the public.

Anywhoo... if you find transcript/video of Posner's interview, i'd like to have it in english for the record. if now, i'll try to work on it myself later.

Cherub721

YEAH!
Ah, I was about halfway through watching the version with the English subtitles and now it was deleted. I saved the subtitle file from YT but it was only 28 minutes in (maybe they added more later). Yeah, the person making the subtitles cut and paraphrased a lot. I understand enough Russian to follow along but it was very helpful having some overview in English even if it was rough. I'd also be interested in a good transcript, either in English or Russian.

Tinami Amori

Ah, I was about halfway through watching the version with the English subtitles and now it was deleted. I saved the subtitle file from YT but it was only 28 minutes in (maybe they added more later). Yeah, the person making the subtitles cut and paraphrased a lot. I understand enough Russian to follow along but it was very helpful having some overview in English even if it was rough. I'd also be interested in a good transcript, either in English or Russian.
If there is no other video with translations, i'll try to find a transcript, but not till weekend.

sharsk8s

Tinami Amori

Hey, guys.. I already did a "word-for-word" transfer of the first 19 minutes (it is 57 minutes, so it is about 1/3, with 2/3 to go). I can post it, but maybe it will be confusing to some, not being complete.

so.. if 3 or more people want it, i'll post it. if not, i'll finish it by the weekend. let me know.

IceAlisa

discriminating and persnickety ballet aficionado
Do it! I am sure people will be eagerly awaiting Part Two

CaliSteve

Hey, guys.. I already did a "word-for-word" transfer of the first 19 minutes (it is 57 minutes, so it is about 1/3, with 2/3 to go). I can post it, but maybe it will be confusing to some, not being complete.

so.. if 3 or more people want it, i'll post it. if not, i'll finish it by the weekend. let me know.

I would like to read it.

Thanks for translating!

hanca

Values her privacy

Yes, please. We do want it.

Tinami Amori

Ok, here we go. Disclaimer: people are putting together summaries of this interview. I tried to do it "word-for-word". There are fortunately not many idioms or figurative language, but they do interrupt each other sometimes, don't speak in complete phrases, skip from issue to issue in the middle, and it is not a smooth question-answer. I had to change few terms, simplify, or add explanations, because the phrases came with either facial expressions, or "nouns" were assumed from previous answers and not included in the next.. If explanations are need and something not clear, let me know.

====== first 23:35 minutes.
P: This is Posner Show, our guest tonight is Eteri Tutberidze. Greetings, Eteri Georgievna.

T: Greetings.

P: .. I can add the title of Honored Coach of Russia, but I don’t know your view on such titles?

T: well, they don’t really affect my life, yet they are a form of recognition of the work done.

P: of course, of course… I would like to start with questions not related to your profession, it’s my personal curiosity: can you speak any Georgian?

T: only several phrases..

P: ok. Do you feel you’re Georgian? (** Posner has 3 citizenships, national identification is always an issue for him for many years).

T: well, perhaps not. I was born in Moscow, my upbringing is Russian, and yet nobody drained "my blood" out of me (did not switch my genes), and my Georgian father always told me “forgot how to speak Georgian, but never fully learned Russian”.

P: (laughs) is that so? Ok, got it. So, then my first question to you is this. You started figure skating when you were 4-1/2 years old?

T: yes, correct.

P: not later than what age one must start in figure skating to reach maximum results, in your opinion?

T: I think on an average, not later than 5 years.

P: Ok, so you say it is 5 years then…

T: well, yes, but not earlier than 3-1/2…

P: So, you then started at 4-1/2, but did not accomplish any great results…

T: that’s correct..

P: why so?

T: due to various circumstances, one is I had injuries as a single skater, even though my coach was Pliner, Edward Georgievich, he was one of the best coaches at that time. Then as i grew taller, I was loosing coordination, and offered to switch to dance. I felt insulted and put down, I took it as I am not capable to be a single skater. I looked at ice dancing as an opportunity to remain in skating that I loved so much, but not the direction I wanted to follow. I made my self love it, but then I often looked at single skaters and was wistful. But then considering the height I reached…

P: How tall are you?

T: ..about 1m76cm. I don’t measure my height…

P: and… (what would you rather be?)

T: I always wanted to be little, average…

P: got it. That would be more convenient (comfortable)…

T: yes, more convenient (comfortable)..

P: I’ll skip the “age question”, and come to a widely discussed and highly debated by so many people topic, well… at what age can the kids start serious training, the amount of work load that leads to high results …. so then… there are certain types of sports, let’s say, where a 15 year old can never and will never become a champion…. For example weight lifting…

T: sounds right..

P: there are quite few other, and then there is opposite.. figure skating is one of the few where a young athlete can reach the highest possible results…. it is not the only sport…

T: yes, not the only, several others which require high level of coordination, gymnastics…

P: yes, yes…ok then…. and this issue is mostly about female venues, with men…. well, let’s say I have never seen this when it comes to men… but then in rhythmic gymnastics it is not an issue (there are no men), but in artistic gymnastics they are all grown men, there you need muscles…

T: yes, yes..

P:… and in figure skating too, I have not seen any at 13 who win… maybe you’ve seen some, but I have not seen, so in your opinion, why do you think the girls do win and boys do not?

T: now wait… Yagudin was young (when he started winning).

P: … but not at 15…

T: … at 18, but for a boy it is still young..

P: … well, at 18 you can call him a man..

T:… to some extent, yes... but perhaps men usually try to stay in Juniors as long as possible, before transferring to Seniors (she said “masters” in Russian terms).

P:… you think it is their choice, or…

T. .. it’s also their level of readiness, although, if there is an athlete who is ready (to take on others) at such age, he’ll transfer…

P:… you think?

T:.. yes, there is already boy like this, unfortunately he is not skating for Russia, Gogolev, who has all quads, a very young boy, 14-15, I think (he might).

P: so let’s see…… there are people out there who are against such young age, for example Zhulin, Alexander Zhulin..

T: … (smiles) but he seems to be thinking.. (does not finish)

P: … i am curious about what he says. He (Zhulin) says that the audience prefer to watch feminine (female) skating, and he puts “feminine” in quotations marks, when ladies have all the female body forms….

T: .. yes, he means the “female body”…

P:.. yes, the forms (meaning breasts and rear-end)…

T: … so in other words, if half of fully grown (adult) female athletes do not have the “female forms” then let’s not watch?

P: (giggles) yes, I guess that’s what he means… in his opinion (she’s not worth watching)

T: .. then if a fully grown developed female does not have the “full body”, then it’s a no go?

P: (smiles, jokes) well, then yes, too bad.. it’s her problem..

T: … and she then receives no components? Because she does not have a “full figure”?

P: yes… (he means according to Zhulin)…

T: (jokes) then I object…

P: ok, ok…. Then Zhulin also says, and this one interest me more, that coaches use artificial methods to hold back the body development, true?

T:.. no..no, no… of course, I read all sorts of stuff “about myself” that we over there are doing something to hold back the growth, how can we hold it back?

P: .. he did not name names, just said it happens…

T: . I know, I know… I read it here and there… even joke sometimes that if there is such substance out there, tell me where to find it… so we can hold something back. Because this season, for example, Alina was changing, going throw growth, and now became a young lady, body wise… and it complicated our path, because we wanted to prove ourselves (this season) that we’re not an accident, and this formation process in the body made it much more difficult… No, of course no, there are no such substances. However, the level of physical demands, continuing physical demands, they do slow down the process… But what’s there will eventually come out. Possibly they do not grow as tall, as otherwise they might have if they were not in sports. They are probably over all smaller when in sports..

P: … you mean from the physical demands…

T: .. when they leave for a vacation, we never know what we will get back.. what shape they will be in, and how much more difficult it would be to work with. They grow during this time…. When physical demands go down, they grow… the body system (organism) applies its energy towards something, if not for physical activities, then towards growth, growth of something..

P: … interesting.. Now I will read you a quote, which maybe familiar to you, but maybe not to the audience. It’s a very hypothetical quote, but it expresses a very concentrated view, by Irina Rodnina, who is known to make rather harsh opinionated comments… she said, in this instance about the Russian Nationals: “why do we let in younger girls, to tickle the nerves (to nudge) the older ones? I’d like to see these girls (younger ones) at 17, will they all be able to do quads? Then, as the practice shows, it’s not enough now to do quads, one must be interesting. To me when a 14 year old skates it is not interesting. If they grow up and develop personalities, then great, because I want to see competition between their personalities, and not the technical execution of the elements. This may sound rude, but coaches have a product with swift expiration date. Remember, 5 years ago the whole country was going crazy over Lipnitskaya, and we (Rodnina and some other coaches) were sitting thinking (about Lipnitskaya) such low jumps, such tiny body, obviously not eating, will start growing soon, what will happen… The girl then threw away her skates, does not want to look at them. Who is responsible? And to say that she became an Olympic champions is not enough.. after all the sport is there to make one grow physically, mentally, healthy, and not to kill them with quads, shatter their dreams, and outlook on life, and I am just talking about who reached good results. But what about all those who did not reach them, spent years, efforts, health, missed out on education…. Only adults must compete. Kids champions - are either products of parents’ ambitions, or of their coaches”.

P: pretend I am Irina Rodnina, and what answer would you give, please..

T: oh well, there are so many subjects one can address, don’t know where to start..

P: .. at your discretion…

T:… I absolutely do not agree with her.. first of all, she is currently not…. But wait..I don’t want to under mind her, she has so many accomplishments, one can respect and admire them till the end of her life… but she is not a practicing (working) coach, and perhaps it is not correct (for her) to comment in such manner. Now, regarding Julia Lipnitskaya. The whole world admired her, she received her portion of love. Yes, she did set her skates aside for a while. Because the efforts (to fame) are hard, non-stop efforts (physical demands), constant expectations, it’s hard pressure, the expectations of new programmes, the new wins, and not every athlete can handle it or wants it after a while. She followed her path, the path she wanted while she wanted it, with efforts/help of her mother, my help, all of us. But I am sure she is happy to be able to reach the very top, to reach success, to perform her best programmes.

(back to Ronina’s comments)… so she does not want to watch … Ah, wait..why do we let younger girls skate at Nationals, those who can not yet compete in seniors internationally? Wait a second, let’s note that our (Russian) ladies figure skating started to progress at the time when we started to allow young ones in. Sotnikova became Russian National Champion at 12 years of age, and then she, Sotnikova, became an Olympic Champion. Zhenya Medvedeva, at about 14 started to come up on the podium and it became clear that as an adult she will continue to get on the podium. Holding them back? Ok….. for example a 12 year old girl this year became a US National Champion. She has a 3A, and recently posted at 4ltz she learned. It is the hardest quad there is. Her name is Alysa L… what is it?

P: that’s not relevant..

T: They (Americans) do it, because it means progress.. (sarcasm) and we supposed to hold ours back? ..because it will “tickle the nerves” of the older ones? Maybe if we tickle them here, then out there they will know what they are up against… They (older ones) will be faced with it anyway… Why hold these (younger) girls back, when they are only few months away from turning senior in August of this year, after which they will be out there representing our country? The Russian Nationals are dated for the year 2019. It is the same year, 2019, when these “girls” are transferring to Seniors.

P: Ok.. I still want to ask you this…. When in the last programme I had here a great coach, Irina Viner (rhythm. gym.) I told her that when we’re young, boys too, we are much more flexible then when we’re older. Back when I was a 12 year old boy, I could flex my thumb to touch the wrist, like this (shows his thumb towards the wrist).

T:… still, not bad…

P:… not bad, but not the same as before.. So, the physical demands, that deal with flexibility… do they cause any harm? ..that’s the first part (of my question)… the over all development of this person, the life in the future, is there harm that will affect him in the years when one is no longer an athlete? And the second part… what a girl can do at 13-14, can she still, lets say, do it when she is 20… or not?

T: I don’t see an issue with doing it all at 20. But there is another aspect. At 20 they start paying attention to other things and get distracted (other things start occupying their minds). They start to practice less, they start to feel sorry for themselves, and all that affects the training process. A 14-15-16 year old teen deals with less issues that take away the concentration, he/she concentrates and is hungry for results. As soon as they reach a result, they start feeling sorry for themselves. And yes, all that can prevent when one is older.

P: So then you’re saying that strictly physically they can do the same at 20-21?

T: I would say this…. that personally, at lets say 19-20, definitely not after 20, I would not try to learn something new (that is difficult), because the body is not as flexible. Trying to learn any new element does cause some degree of wear and tear on the body. When you learn any element at younger age, it makes it easier on the body, the mind, in the head, mentally, and the micro-injuries, which always happen, heal quicker.

P: and there we have it, very interesting. Commercial break and then we’ll be back.

--

P: Now I will address a touchy subject. There are sports out there, where people of a certain race have advantages. For example if we take Athletics, the sprint, distance running, it is mostly Blacks. They are not from one country, from USA, Jamaica, Africa…

T: they have different muscle structure..

P: regardless of what it is, it’s a fact.. So now I want to ask, if in figure skating there is the same lean, toward people from the East (Asia/Orient), mainly from Japan, but not only. Is it so?

T: .. perhaps… I will say this, that genetically they are more coordinated…

P: … more coordinate?

T: …yes, more coordinated… They have something special, we too have something special… First of all, it’s their average height (they are not as tall), they struggle less with weight gain, they are tighter, certain things are easier for them, what they learn by 12-13, they can carry over much easier into adulthood, they don’t have to fight weight gain, growth in height, 1 cm every month… So for us, of European decent…. (interrupted).

P: … and also the Americans…

T: yes, Americans too, but there in America many of them are of Asian decent.. (in skating), actually most of them (top skaters)..

P: when you spoke before about skaters/athletes from Asian countries, you said this: “they are raised properly to not question the coach, not just verbally but in their minds also. Our (Russian) athlete starts to over-think (debate) in his own head the coach’s instructions, to do it or not to do it, especially if the instructions have to do with repeating some thing. I just did this, and now I have to do it again, it means the coach did not like what I did. That creates an internal conflict which hinders the work progress. It is not an issue with Asian athletes, you tell them to do, and it does not matter if it is “do” or “repeat”, they go and do it.”..

P: … so do you think it is “mentality”?

T: I think it is in them, plus the upbringing.. yes, it is their upbringing, some sense of trust… Even now if we take my student from Kazakhstan, Elizaveta Tusynbaeva… 19 years old. Just recently we regained her 4S jump, but she did not even ask any questions.. Liza go and do this…. she is “ok”.. and so on. With our athletes it does not go so easy.. First you must explain it to the parents, convince them and it is not always easy or doable. Some parents think that without (an important element) they are simply marvelous.

P: (laughs)… so you say it is the upbringing..

T: yes, yes, of course, upbringing… with ours its like some kind of a fight… like throwing a ball against a wall, you throw but it bounces back at you.. You tell them it needs to be done, and they say “what for”, “not today”, “how about tomorrow”…and that’s how it is.

P: … and so this means the boys and girls have different mind sets? Because it seems the girls are doing it..

T:… oy… it is harder with our girls to take them through the process, than with Eastern girls, when it comes to new jumps or elements, to get them try something new, to repeat… and let’s say we had a full run through a programme, and see there are some mistakes, and it needs a re-skate, when you ask an Eastern girl, she’ll say ok, yes.. and if it is our own athlete, there is a possibility that he/she will skate in such a way that we’ll regret asking..

P: but you said something (in another interview), and it surprised me, and you said that your came to the conclusion, that an ideal formula for success, in order to make a champion in singles, is to try and find a young kid, and from an early age develop a certain mentality towards the jumps..

T: yes, towards the jumps..

P: …now in these words I heard some kind of determination to create a some kind of superhuman.. (laughs), to change mentality?

T: .. yes. look.. if we take now the current generation of skaters that are fully developed/formed (as athletes/people), and consider that during this time the skating rules changed several times, as far as spins, use of edges, changes of edges…. (interrupted)..

P: … wait, change of edge? (what’s that?)

T: … yes, there were rule changes, in spins, how many rotations in this or that position (explains details), for example Yagudin competed under the old system, then the new one came, it was interesting/developed (good for the sport)…. (interrupted)..

P: … and Pluschenko…

T:… yes Pluschenko too.. he tried, I would say he adjusted, but it was harder for him, to learn new patterns of spins, it was harder though. And now there are even more complicated rule changes, and it is harder to tell an already formed athlete that yesterday you were doing 3-3 and that was great, and today many other athletes, like from Romania and every tiny country out there, they are all doing it, and we need to move up to the next level, and for us to stand out, well then we need to come out on the ice with quads, 3A, etc.. But they (her athletes) see these jumps (quads/3A) as something special, they are afraid mentally to take make an entry (to step) into them (have a mental barrier), but fear itself, the fear of a jump entry is what contributes to the risk of injury, to change your mind (during the jump), to pop, to open up… Like when you push a drunk man off the 2nd story window, he’ll fall, roll, and then get up and walk away.. because he had no fear. And take a sober one, he’ll fall and break all his bones, because of fear, he’ll tighten up….

P: .. true, true..

T: so, the new generation of kids, they need to look at quads as given.. Like the generation before them, they had to learn doubles as a prerequisite to triples, and the new generation now needs to learn the triples in order to do quads.

P: yes… ok then. I read some of your interviews and watched your videos, with details about you and your methods, and I understood that you have some set principles, with out which, in your opinion, it is not possible to get to the top (high results). First one, is to be demanding…

T: yes..

P: .. in other words as you say “give brains a washing for a bad training session”, and it must be done on regular basis, and its important to scold…

T: …I just want to make sure, that when the practice did not go well, the skater went home with a sense of dissatisfaction.. Or, rather.. chose not to go home, but to ask me if he can stay and practice longer and fix the mistakes…

P:… yes, to prove, to prove himself… until there is a result..

P: Second. You feel that parents must be next to children during practice, to come with them, and be present.

T: yes, to fully participate..

P: and third, that they (parents) must not feel sorry for them (if they whine), because, as you say yourself, a person always seeks what’s easier, and a kid will go where he is cradled..

T: that’s right, absolutely..

P: well, so this sounds like a sturdy (tough) approach…. And thus it forms another question.. Those who left (your group), and some of them were exceptional skater..

T: .. yes, true..

P: .. I can name Pitkeev for example, Lipnitsakaya, Medvedeva… this toughness, in your opinion, had it play a role?

T: … perhaps this toughness played a role after an athlete started winning, and now decided that he/she can start training differently, and to expect special treatment: don’t call me by my last name when I mess up, call me by my first name… if I don’t think I need to do it then I won’t.. I think that causes conflict.. because, my dear, we’re still on the path to bigger goals (medals), we used a certain method to gain medals, and if we want more, we must stay on the same path. Because if I start changing methods, making exceptions, reduce your training, and you think can take a week off, then come back and expect everything to start working, that’s simply not true. If you spent that past week with coordination issues, when you return you’ll be right where you left off…. Why do you need that week off? Why suddenly you demand a private dance instructor and you no longer want to practice dance in a group with others? Why suddenly you want a preferential treatment? Just because you have a medal on your neck? … As soon as one steps off the podium, that’s it, you’re nobody (back at square one), until you can prove yourself again at the next competition. Until you earn another medal, you’re nobody. You have old medals and that’s good, but it will not help you (physically) at the next competition.

P: ok then. (proceeds to her personal story starting 1990’s. will translate next).

Last edited:

Ardarys

Thank you so much for translating that, @Tinami Amori — I’ve lurked here for many years and I always find these Russian interviews so fascinating.

It’s been said here before that Americans tend to find the Russian way of speaking in interviews to be very blunt, but I found Eteri’s comment about Rodnina here to be very interesting —

:… I absolutely do not agree with her.. first of all, she is currently not…. But wait..I don’t want to under mind her, she has so many accomplishments, one can respect and admire them till the end of her life… but she is not a practicing (working) coach, and perhaps it is not correct (for her) to comment in such manner. “

I’m neither an Eteri acolyte nor a hater but I thought that was the best most respectful response she could’ve given to what was obviously a leading question

Japanfan

when they leave for a vacation, we never know what we will get back.. what shape they will be in, and how much more difficult it would be to work with. They grow during this time…. When physical demands go down, they grow… the body system (organism) applies its energy towards something, if not for physical activities, then towards growth, growth of something..

:confused: Is it true than physical demands prevent a person from growing or stunts growth? That is, without denying proper nutrition?

I've never heard this before and it doesn't make sense. A person with a physically demanding job obviously needs more calories than a person without a physically demanding job, generally speaking. But given proper nourishment and rest, I would expect both persons to grow properly.

sharsk8s

:confused: Is it true than physical demands prevent a person from growing or stunts growth? That is, without denying proper nutrition?

I've never heard this before and it doesn't make sense. A person with a physically demanding job obviously needs more calories than a person without a physically demanding job, generally speaking. But given proper nourishment and rest, I would expect both persons to grow properly.
It is true that intense physical activity especially at a young age stunts growth, particularly in girls. That is also why many female gymnasts are very short. I skated intensively when I was younger and at the age of 13 I had the growth plates of a 10 year old. This doesn't mean they should be getting any less calories but it is scientifically proven that physical demands before puberty effect growth.

D

Deleted member 40371

It is true that intense physical activity especially at a young age stunts growth, particularly in girls. That is also why many female gymnasts are very short. I skated intensively when I was younger and at the age of 13 I had the growth plates of a 10 year old. This doesn't mean they should be getting any less calories but it is scientifically proven that physical demands before puberty effect growth.
Or is it because the tall gymnasts move on to do other things like become a pole vaulter or trampoline gymnast ?. So it could be a selection bias ...

Tinami Amori

Here is the 2nd (final part)..

P: ok… Back in the 1990’s, when you were 18 years old, you moved to the United States..

T: yes… well, it was not that I “moved to”…

P: … I meant “came to”..

T: yes.. I came to earn some money..

P: well, yes… ok. Back in soviet times there were ice shows, some of the first ones were organized by Tatiana Tarasova..

T:… yes, by Tatiana Anatolievna.. “All Stars”

P: .. did you ever train with her?

T: … yes, for about half a year, and that’s exactly when I made a decision to stop skating..

P: … I see… Is she a tough one?

T: … she probably does not even remember that I skated in her group..

P: … but you do remember her? Is she a tough coach?

T: … in those days she had little time for me, as she was getting ready Klimova/Ponomarenko for the Olympics. During that exact half a year (when I was there).

P:.. I got it. So then… also in the early 1990’s there was some kind of children’s theatre on ice, in St. Petersburg… So basically, why did you not try to skate locally and went abroad?

T: .. oh, no, no… I did start locally, and when we went abroad it was with the Russian Ballet on Ice. I transferred there straight from Tatiana Antolievna’s group… It was kind of silly situation… an ice maintenance technician came up to me and suggested that I join the Russian Ballet on Ice because they are hiring competitive (active) skaters. This show was successful exactly because they hired active (competitive) skaters… we were all hungry at that time to make some money. They hired quite a few of us.. they had a show contract in USA, and then we were going (to USA) and something very stupid happened (at the airport in Moscow) at the passport control station. All skaters from Moscow, their passports were ok. But those who from other parts of Russia had passport problems and were detained/not let through. Their passports were issued in Moscow’s passport office, and not in the cities/towns of their official residences, and that was illegal. This last group was only able to depart from Russia to USA a month later. We waited for them (in USA) for a month, and naturally all show contracts expired… We simply ended up being in USA with …

P:… with nothing..

T: .. with nothing, no shows, no contracts, no money… but still not willing to go back. That’s not what I came here for. I came to earn money.

P: .. yes, that’s very normal… In those same years, approximately… others came to USA, Tatiana Tarasova is one of them…

P: … Irina Rodnina, who worked there, right? So ok… Tarasova did not need introductions, Rodnina did not need them either…

T: … also Linichuk …

P: yes… And yet “Tutberidze” was not exactly a famous name.. across the whole America..

T: no, it was not of course..

P: … so what were you expecting, when you were there, and nothing is working out..

T: .. I was not expecting anything…. When we realized that nothing will work out with the Russian Ballet on Ice, it turned out that a misfortune opened doors for opportunities, to find work…. There was an explosion in Oklahoma ….

P:.. and you were there at that time, in Oklahoma?

T: .. yes, at the time we lived in a shelter for poor people, YMCA…?

P: … must have been YWCA, YMCA is for men…

T: no, no…. YMCA..

P: …no, YMCA is for men only.. (laughs)

T: no… it was YMCA..

P: … no it was n…

T: … yes it was.. (laughs)

P: … ok, ok … “that place” for Young Christians…

T: .. They let us stay on the top 7th floor. It was just an empty abandoned top floor space. We were given mattresses to sleep on, the floor did not have toilets or showers, we had to go to the first level where the swimming pool is… This building was right across the street where the explosion suddenly erupted..

P: I supposed all the glass from the windows was knocked out…

T: … yes, the glass….. And many people died..

P: … yes, lots of people died..

T: …yes, and over all it all seemed unreal.. when I stepped out on the street, I though I was dreaming, the cars were all burning in a pile… Anyway, I was saved (picked up) by a Fireman, who happened to be working there on the clean up. He was the one who eventually helped me find a job with Ice Capades..

P: .. how can a fireman do that?

T: well…. I was lost, looking for a fire exit, I went down stairs… (back up in time before the explosion) I remember it was exactly 9:04, I looked at the clock, when I was going to the locker room, I see 9:04 on the clock, turned my head away… and then the explosion. I remembered our explosion safety school training, I knew that there will be a second wave, I heard the noise, then something with force pushed me. But then I remembered the school drill, and that we are supposed hide under a solid surface, because next comes the fire wave. But I did not climb under anything, just remained standing. Then it was quiet for a while, and then screams.

And while I was looking for my way out, it turns out that the group from the Russian Ballet was taken away, by bus, or something, to another location.. I was just wondering around, and then people started screaming “bomb, bomb”, some kind of “bomb” and every one started running in different directions. I was not sure where to run, I found a rock wall and sat behind it…

And then this Fireman, probably saw me and realized that I need help… I was in my slippers, with a towel and a toothbrush in my hands… kind of like that.. He told me to stay with him and to follow him, while he checks out buildings and offices in the neighborhood, many windows were knocked out… I followed him, from place to place… We finally found the location where the Russian Ballet was moved to, but there was no more space, because it was someone’s private house where they were situated… And he (fireman) took me into his home, to his wife and two children, and he eventually helped me to find a job.

P: (to the audience) ..and there you see what kind of situations happen (commercial break).
--
P: (back to the story).. so, here you are in America, in a terrible situation, displaced … and yet you still not returning to Russia, just not..

T: not..

P: … then in time every thing settles down for you, you settle in, start earning money, everything going well…. and yet after all is going well you return to Russia… Please explain this logic..

T: very well…I’ll explain… While things were tough for me, it was important for me to prove to myself that I can become somebody (make something of myself), that I can make it here, survive and earn a living.. That I can coach, get paid… and actually over there (in USA) it is quite profitable. They value us Russians (coaches), they consider us the best specialists in this particular sport..

But I started to have a feeling that I am not living… that I am standing at a train platform and the trains keep dashing by… and none of them are “my train”… I was waiting to get the feeling that my life is real (that I was really “living”).. Everything was working out, just live and enjoy…but it felt like the life is on hold.. and then I realized that I need to go back.. First of all, my family is large, I am the 5th child… I was wondering if it is this (family) that I am missing … Although I can’t say that were raised so that we can’t live without each other.. We all now work in Moscow and rarely see each other. But still I felt that something is missing, I must return.. I knew that when I come back, there is no one waiting for me (except family)… No one to welcome me, on the contrary I expected, if not hate, then certainly resentment.. what do you want, who needs you here?

P: yes, yes…

T: But I still felt, that i must go through all the nastiness and lows, and still challenge myself to see if I can start something from scratch (from zero), to make it, and if I succeed, and still not happy, then I will make a decision to return to USA or not. I already knew how to live in America. Even if I return today, there are those who are waiting for me…

P: .. certainly even more now..

T: oh, I don’t know.. I meant that I have many friends there..

P: . of course… yes..

T: … and I must say those are my only and true friends, except of course for the people in my coaching team, but other than them (here, in Russia) I do not have any friends.. But in America they are there, and they are real.

P: (smiles, waves finger in agreement)…

T: although when I started my life in America, it seems so.... well I could not understand, why is everyone is nice and smiling, but in reality they don’t care..

P: (smiles, waves finger in agreement)…

T: they say to you “hi, how are you doing”… and as you’re about to tell them how, they walk away..

P: (smiles) yes, yes, they are absolutely not interested..

T: yes, not at all interested, I could not get used to it for sometimes, it’s my mentality probably. Here (in Russia) we either smile and mean it, or we just pass each other by, and it is more honest this way.. We are just raised differently..

P: yes, differently.. In general and overall, with what feelings to you remember America?

T: with very warm (feelings)…

P: well then. So, let’s go back to when you worked as a coach in America. Are there differences in how Russian and American boys, girls train?

T: yes, yes! Americans very much value their ice time. Because they pay their own money out of their own pocket. Many parents give their kids the money, and make them hand it to you in person, for ice time and for lessons, so that he (kid) knows it all costs. I had a girl skater once. She was very tall, I did not know what to teach her, because I was afraid to injure her. So when I came on the ice, I started asking her how is life, about her school… and she would stop me abruptly “Excuse me! But this time is for the lesson”, she knew it’s not right (to chat).. And our kids, they are opposite… they’ll go back and force, to and from the ice, retie their skates 5 times, nice and slow… as the saying goes “while soldier is sleeping, the service time is counted”… They absolutely do not value their ice time… or anything they get for free.. no habits to appreciate it .

P:… now about your first big success…. Year 2014. January. Budapest. European Champion ship. Two of your students on the pedestal, both in one event. First one is Julia Lipnitskaya, she soon received an Olympic Gold medal in the same year in Sochi; she is technically the first single ladies skater to be handed an Olympic Gold medal, single skater female skater to be exact. And then you have many more medals and wins since them. Is there that one that is most precious to you?

T: (thinks for a while)… I really could not even say now….. well perhaps the most difficult one, and it is again, about proving myself, to myself, that I can.. I can bring Alina back on the pedestal at this Worlds Championship.

P: Lately the Russian Sport is plagued with the doping issues. At the last WC in Japan, your pupil, the champion Alina Zagitova was detained for testing after her programmes..

T: yes, after SP and FS both..

P: … during one doping probe she was detained for 8 hours..

T: yes, after the FS..

P: … she was held there until 5 o’clock in the morning.. Immediately there were rumors, that it is something political… Interestingly, Ilya Averbuch said that this has nothing to do with politics, and no undercurrents. The fact that she was held till 5am is not a poor organization issue. It is normal and means she simply could not produce the required sample. There is no political or any other undercurrent in any of this possible. (to Eteri) Do you agree with him?

T: Absolutely agree. Because for a full sample, one needs to produce 100 mg. She was stressed, could not do it right away, and had to wait. Further more, to produce a sample quickly, an athlete should eat bunch of fruits, it’s sugar and drink lots of water. She could not risk doing it after the SP, because of the upcoming FS a day later, and this would mean extra weight. But why she could not do it after the FS, and why it took her even longer (edit. SP was 5 hrs, FS was 8).. well, I don’t know maybe because (it all feels uncomfortable)… you don’t even hold the jar yourself.. another person holds this jar (under the athlete)…

P:… are you kidding me?

T: yes, yes.. and one has to manage “to relax”..

P: wow, I did not know this….. the details you learn sometimes..

P: In January of this year, a 13-year old skater, Anastasiya Shabotova, I think you know her… During her live (IG) feed on social media, said that in order to skate well one must take the.. (interrupted)…

T: yes, take the right dope…

P: yes, to drink lots of “right kind of doping”.. well, also she mentioned that famous ice club “Kristalny”…

T: yes, yes aha.. that we all drink the right doping there..

P: .. and of course, the Federation proclaimed her words to be ‘nonsense and stupidity”, and later Shabotova herself admitted it was “stupidity” because she was upset about loosing (a medal). But now I wonder did she really mean it.. (did she say confess on her own initiative?)

T: maybe she did not? (laughs)

P: I think so too… perhaps the Federation put the pressure and made her say it.. At the same time, in the last two months, RUSADA test 15 ladies skaters…. So I have a question for you… these words, of this 13 year old girl, is there any bit of truth in them?

T: listen… It is too bad that this 13-year old girl, and she is not alone, as this maybe a trend with some portion of that generation, that in order to get high results one must take lots of “right doping”. I am sorry for her, that it is her formula for success… that she does not think that getting high results means coming on the ice training more.. That’s what came to mind when I read her comments.. Well if she thinks it works, good luck, hope she finds the right doping … but the “right doping” for her should be a **beep** on her butt from her coach and her mother..

P: (laughs), well ok… You do know that our tennis player, Maria Sharapova, was suspended for two years, for taking Meldonium, and confessed taking it herself. You said in the past, and I am quoting “that Meldoium does not have any doping qualities”..

T: it does not..

P: “they” felt we know something (special) and they don’t… Americans sent a letter to WADA, asked them to investigate, from the Russian side there was no actions/protests, so they went ahead and made it illegal. Pls give me some more details..

T: ok, look at this.. Meldonium is a substance.. Every national team has similar type of substance approved by WADA. We used Meldonium. This substance helps to recuperate, the heart…

P: did we ever send it for approval to WADA?

T: we had the substance, were using it. The Americans, and not only them, wrote a letter to WADA saying that they think it is doping. But they can think what they want… On the other had our Laboratories, once it happened, should have written a letter of Objection. To dispute the accusation, present the materials showing that it is not doping. That this substance does not help with “highest, strongest, fastest”, and only helps to recuperate the heart muscles.

P: I understand, only helps to recuperate… and our side did not (bother) to send such objections…

T: yes, they had a year and did not do it. When the time to object expired, it automatically became a banned substance and pronounced “doping”..

P: as in “silence, means agreement”?

T: no, after the year’s time expired, then they started moving and sent this letter…. But the deadline passed. I don’t know why this letter did not make it, maybe it was lost in the mail.. But I do know nobody bothered to send it…until it was too late. Meldonium automatically became “doping”. But I don’t understand why later some of our athletes were found to be using it. Because in September of that year, we all received a notice, that as of January 1st, this substance will be considered “doping”…

P: banned?

T: yes.. and also we were given the last date, when it can be utilized without leaving trace after January 1st.

P:… to get out of the system by that time..

T: yes, and why did some Federations, or groups of people, continued to use it after those dates? Maybe they did not receive the notice? I don’t know… But in principle, we were all notified, we all knew the exact dates “when to stop”, and to find a legal substitute. Because all athletes need some kind of vitamins, to help recuperate, from being tired…

P: Ancient Romans had a saying “Victory has 1000 fathers, Defeat is an orphan”. Do you agree that it is true..

T: pretty much yes..

P: I said before that Irina Viner was recently a guest on my programme, and I brought to her attention, that in her interviews she often refers to God, and to Patriotism. I don’t want to exaggerate her words, but she insists that all that happens is God’s Will.. including victory and defeat… Are you of the same mind?

T: I am more of the same mind with another Viner’s phrase, she said “Victory comes to the one who has the cleanest tail” (*** means: honest, sincerely, plays by the rules)… By “tail” she means “a clean road to victory”, that is something I can agree with.. And I told Alina many times, the medals are awarded somewhere from Above…

P: .. still..

T: yes… you know, we were sitting after the Olympics with Alina, in Korea, having a little celebration (in a café), and some Korean man was walking by, he saw two medals (Alina’s) laying on the table, and he stopped, looked at Alina, and said “so it is you? Your medals?”… naturally off the ice (in real life) she looks different…

P: of course, yes yes…

T: .. and then he said to her “you need to understand, it’s those Gods, from the Olympus, decided to reward you for something”.

P: understand… About Patriotism. I am just interested in your point of view. Evgeniya Medvedeva is now training with a Canadian, Brian Orser. Can it be said then she is not a patriot, since she is training with Canadian, and that Brian Orser is also not a patriot if he is train a Russian that is not Canadian?

T: But he is training many different foreigners…

P: ok so.. how do you understand “Patriotism”?

T: … they have a different system over there (in Canada).. anyone who pays, can train..

P: of course..

T: .. what I try to teach my students (as it relates to patriotism) starting at about age of 13, that you can’t just come to practice and start whining “I am tired, I can’t do this now, let’s do it tomorrow”… just look at the map, and see the size of Russia, and when you’re selected and sent to an international competition, you will have a jacket, on its back it says “Russia”, and if you’re supposed to be “the best that Russia sent for the world to see”, and then you can not just step out on the ice with a bad attitude, thinking "i am tired today, i don't feel like skating my best and represent the Russian people as they expect me to".

P: ok, our time is running out, so I would like to briefly ask, how is your daughter, is all going well for her? Is she still doing ice dance, or not?

T: yes, she is still skating, but her path is not simple…

P: yes, I do know…

T: yes, (shakes head)

P: what state of mind is she in?

T: she wants to continue to ice dance (skate)

P: and God may help her..

T: yes, she wants to skate. Taking into consideration her partial deafness, right..

P: right, deafness…

T: .. ice dance is an area where she can accomplish (realize herself).

P: ok, then. it’s almost the end of our programme, let’s play “quick questions”.. I will name my favorite skaters in all 4 disciplines, and you quickly give me yours…

T: … but I was told you’ll be asking me questions from the “Proust Questionnaire”?

P: I will, but first this… Take ladies singles… I think the best ever was Peggy Fleming.

And you?

T: (shakes head) I don’t… I really can’t name which one ..

P: among men I think Scott Hamilton was the coolest..

T: I recall Boitano..

P: ok.. for me in pairs, no question – Belousova and Protopopov.. I know technically everything advanced, but for me there was no one better….

T: … most memorable for me – Berezhnaya and Sikharulidze..

P: … and in dance, for me – Pakhomova and Gorshkov..

T: … Papadakis..

P: that’s it! And now M. Proust… (questions).

T: oh yes? finally….

P: yes, my friend Proust (*** Proust is dead, it’s Postern’s standard joke) asked me to ask you…

P: - when do you lie?

T: - rarely

P: - what do you not have enough of?

T: - health for my daughter

P: - what do you regret?

T: - I tend not to regret

P: - prefer to look at sunrise or sundown?

T: - sundown

P: - cat or dog?

T: - dog

P: - sea or mountains?

T: - sea

P: - what can you not tolerate in other people?

T: - lies in your face

P: - what do you not like in yourself?

T: - I never forget, thus never completely absolve

P: - what do money mean to you?

T: - means to live

P: - what will you say to the All Mighty if you ever run into him?

T: - dear God, forgive

P: and this was Eteri Tutberidze.. Thank you for coming….

T; oops! wait!! .. is this it?

P: you wanted to say something?

T: I want to say happy birthday to You.. and to say that this was a great honor for me to meet a Legend (**of journalism)..

P: oh, stop it..

T: You are a legend…

P: oh, no need to (say it)… thank You very much… Today is April 1, a Fool’s day, so I was born appropriately.. Thank you to You, very much.

T: and thank you to You too.

Last edited:

mjb52

Wow, I had no idea she was in Oklahoma City for the bombing. That whole part of this interview is just incredible.

Finsta

Didn’t know that either. She seems to respect America. Being in US for time I’ve been here i can relate to her feelings. Good interview. Thank you

IceAlisa

discriminating and persnickety ballet aficionado
I wasn’t sure which syllable to stress in the name Eteri but I suppose we can take Pozner’s version—eTEri—as definitive?

Tinami Amori

I was waiting for a break out of critique from fans all over, but so far it is mostly positive (except few comments that Posner is not familiar with figure skating, which is true..).
https://www.instagram.com/p/Bvt2LsYgi9H/

"Posner failed the interview (lack of skating knowledge), but broke down the (negative) stereotypes of an accomplished coach".
https://www.sportsdaily.ru/articles...yavshijsya-obraz-zasluzhennogo-trenera-rossii

"Tutberideze: it is an honor to be invited to an interview by a legend, especially on his birthday"
https://www.sport-express.ru/figure...e-dlya-menya-pozner-chelovek-legenda-1529733/

Ardarys

Thank you for translating that second part, @Tinami Amori . I admit that as a fan of skating one of my petty joys is making fun of the coaches, and I’ve taken my share of shots at Eteri just because she’s such a fun target, but I was really impressed by this interview and her dignified and respectful responses to many questions where she could’ve provided us with tons of gossip and speculation (I’d have LOVED a juicier response to the Tarasova questions, for example 😂😂😂) — she conducts herself so well in these interviews.

VenusH.

T: Absolutely agree. Because for a full sample, one needs to produce 100 mg. She was stressed, could not do it right away, and had to wait. Further more, to produce a sample quickly, an athlete should eat bunch of fruits, it’s sugar and drink lots of water. She could not risk doing it after the SP, because of the upcoming FS a day later, and this would mean extra weight. But why she could not do it after the FS, and why it took her even longer (edit. SP was 5 hrs, FS was 8).. well, I don’t know maybe because (it all feels uncomfortable)… you don’t even hold the jar yourself.. another person holds this jar (under the athlete)…

So Eteri basically confirms her skaters are so dry and starved during competitions that they cannot even pee. Normal person pees at least once a day.

Not sure you have to eat fruit to pee, I thought water is enough... and one does not gain weight from drinking water. Unless your metabolism is so shot your body swells when drinking water.

VenusH.

Anyways, she is kinda very respectful towards the USA... hopefully uberrussians are not coming with pitchworks about the fact she dares to respect another country....

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information