Eric Radford and Vanessa James to compete in pairs together for Canada

once_upon

Better off than 2020
Maybe they just wanted an "Ajiona" moment and thought it was possible?

I know people have always complained about older skaters taking a spot away from a new upcoming skater, of your favorite...probably I have, but - it happens.

MacMadame

Doing all the things
And, perhaps, if there would be a real support and not negativity ( was not MT complaining all the time that because of them it is hard for her?) it would be quite different in terms of their success, too.
I don't who MT is but Meagan Duhamel did not complain "all the time." She complained at how the breakup with her was handled (and rightly so) and then she shut up and moved on.

On top of that, Skate Canada -- who are the ones with the real power -- hyped them to the skies. So they had plenty of support, from their coaches who kept the team-up secret from Meagan for month even though one of them was Meagan's SIL all the way to their federation.

To say otherwise is revisionist history.

A lot of shows, especially big name and higher paying shows like Stars on Ice and the Japanese/Korean shows rely on billing. They advertise having medalists and Olympians in their cast. Therefore, if they had gone straight to show skating it may have been hard to get booked. Meanwhile, "Olympic competitors James/Radford" or "Canadian National Champions" or "Grand Prix Medalists" may get them more show bookings (if they had achieved those things). Of course they didn't get the results where they would have gotten their highest booking potential, but it still created enough of a name for them to get booked together into some shows.
It's true that shows like names. But a lot of shows in Europe have some skaters who don't have big names too. Plus, they could honestly be introduced as "Olympians and World Medalists" without this season because each one is.

It may not mean much to dedicated skate fans but I know a lot of non-fans who were inspired by seeing Vanessa, a Black woman, compete for Canada at the Olympics.
I believe this but I'm surprised they weren't also inspired by seeing Vanessa skate for France.

What I think happened (and this is just my opinion -- I have no insider knowledge) is that they started skating together because of Battle of the Blades and found they were easier partners for each other than their prior partners. So they thought maybe they could team up for shows.

Then, either they or Skate Canada or both saw how quickly Alexa and Brandon came together (National Champs in their first season!) and got stars in their eyes. SC pushed them like crazy, as we all saw, and I wouldn't be surprised if them skating for Canada was pretty much all their idea, at least at first.

But it didn't work out like that. That kind of gelling so quickly is very rare and also, Eric is a lot older than Brandon and seems to have back issues.

I hope they don't have regrets about how it all turned out. They each got another trip to the Olympics and some distance from their prior partnerships so it's not going to hurt them when it comes to shows. What will hurt is that the Russian market is no longer a possibility for them. But who could have predicted that?!

mackiecat

Canada had two spots from last year. I mean W/M are currently sitting in 8th so they alone would get two spots ;)
The reality has just revealed that there was no benefit in the end to Skate Canada themselves.

Funny enough if both teams hold their spots Canada could get three spots but I mean there are only 13 teams competing.
Not necessarily. There would be another team in place of J/R and it would depend where both of those two place.

wickedwitch

Not necessarily. There would be another team in place of J/R and it would depend where both of those two place.
If W/M are top 12, then it wouldn’t matter where the second team placed. Actually, even last and second to last in this field would be good enough to keep the two spots.

manhn

Well, one can make the argument that they should've won silver. Of course, loads of people won't make that argument, but I know I would (and so will Skate Canada, if secretly). And that's all that matters.

Eric and Vanessa must be the first team to win medals after each of them won their own medals with different partners?

pat c

Well, one can make the argument that they should've won silver. Of course, loads of people won't make that argument, but I know I would (and so will Skate Canada, if secretly). And that's all that matters.

Eric and Vanessa must be the first team to win medals after each of them won their own medals with different partners?
Everyone I can think of, their partner didn't medal. Irina Rodnina........Artur Dmitriev........Savchenko........B&S, but not worlds........

Judy

Well done! I’m happy for them.

skatista098

Bravo to Vanessa and Eric! :cheer2:I do think they should have placed second overall. The judges were quite generous to the Japanese today. I am also impressed with how consistent and strong Vanessa's jumps were. I hope that they are extremely proud of themselves and how far they have come this year. fingers crossed that they continue.

Last edited:

sus2850

It was a very emotional press conference with Vanessa, she fought back tears, her voice broke. She and Eric both said how grateful they were for the chance to skate together, how very different it felt to their previous career.
And Eric said that Vanessa will now have to visit a mine in his home town.

It was also nice that Brandon said how much he learned from Vanessa while skating alongside her in Florida, meaning what a hard worker she is.

Also the loudest cheers for Vanessa in the arena at the medal cerenony came from Mae Berenice Meite.

I have a really soft spot for Vanessa, I have to admit: When I saw skating live for the first time in 2008/9 it was her performance (with Yannick Bonheur) that got me hooked.
I am really happy that she got a medal. (Should have ranked above the Japanese, but as silver should belong to Ashley & Timothy I am totally ok with them winning btonze).

By the way: 4 out of the 6 podium athletes talked about how they wished Ashley the best before answering questions.

Last edited:

danafan

Canadian ladies über
Probably not how Vanessa and Eric envisioned winning a world medal but I'm happy for them. They were clearly the right choice for the Olympic team, though I'm sure some people will never accept that.

Three spots for next year is great but I wonder if there will even be three senior pairs competing by then. Okay that's probably not literally true and hopefully Skate Canada will send out all the senior teams to internationals so there's actual competition at nationals for those spots.

manhn

With Russia likely out of competition next season and China seemingly moving on from skating, why would any of the pairs retire at this point. And any chance of skaters coming out of retirement? Lubov? Goodness gracious, envision David and Katia!!!

mackiecat

Probably not how Vanessa and Eric envisioned winning a world medal but I'm happy for them. They were clearly the right choice for the Olympic team, though I'm sure some people will never accept that.

Three spots for next year is great but I wonder if there will even be three senior pairs competing by then. Okay that's probably not literally true and hopefully Skate Canada will send out all the senior teams to internationals so there's actual competition at nationals for those spots.
Evelyn and Trennt, Brooke and Ben, Deanna and Max, Lori and Thierry, Zachary Daleman and new partner, Proft and Nadeau. Plus Andrew and Adcock and Lauren and Ethier.

kwanfan1818

RIP D-10
If the Worlds minimums stay the same -- 27 for the SP, 44 for the FS -- and even if the ISU goes back to the prior season (2021-2022) season plus the current season for TES minimums, the teams with the TES minimums will be:

Vanessa JAMES / Eric RADFORDCANISU GP Internationaux de France 202119/11/202138.31SISU CS 53rd Golden Spin of Zagreb 202110/12/202166.11S
Lori-Ann MATTE / Thierry FERLANDCANAt least Skate Canada 2021*Fall 202132.05SISU GP Skate Canada International 202130/10/202158.72S
Kirsten MOORE-TOWERS / Michael MARINAROCANAt least OWG 2022*Feb 202231.94SAt least OWG 2022*Feb 202253.83S
Deanna STELLATO-DUDEK / Maxime DESCHAMPSCANISU CS Warsaw Cup 202118/11/202131.60SISU CS Warsaw Cup 202119/11/202158.81S
Evelyn WALSH / Trennt MICHAUDCANISU Four Continents Championships 202220/01/202235.33SAt least ISU World Championships 2022*24/03/202256.65S

So they'd better send out at least another team to try to get the minimums.

*They always take the highest score in the qualifying period, so there might be a higher one in there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information