Emergency Preparedness

Winnipeg

with the hurricane approaching Texas, maybe we can all share experiences and advice about preparing for any type of emergency?

Always have a supply of bottled water in store. Enough to last family for a week. Do NOT wait unti,the day before......always have it on hand 365 days a year ( you can change it out or rotate of course)

Have cash.....ATMs do not work when power goes out. Keep cash stored , just enough for odds and ends, depends on where you live and how many in family

Keep your car full of gas, pumps do not work with no power.

Land line for a telephone?

Have a plan in place and include pets:cat::dog::gallopin1

Other ideas??? I know there are many more and hopefully we can all share experiences to help others going forward no matter if earthquake, hurricane, fire,
Tornado, flood, etc

Aceon6

Wrangling the duvet into the cover
Charge all devices and backup batteries. Develop a plan for them once power is out.
Put a flashlight on every level of your home.
Have the utility company phone numbers handy.
Make a hotel reservation for the expected duration plus a couple of days. You can cancel day by day.
If you have a dog, figure out an indoor relief zone and prep it (tarp, pee pads, etc.)
Move all pre-cooked items to the front/top of the freezer so you can find them quickly.
If you use an electric garage door opener, review how to open/close it manually.
Know how to turn off power to any areas that may flood.

Aceon6

Adding one for folks who may not be as old as I am
Find your battery operated radio. Know how to tune it to your local emergency broadcaster. And if you don't have a battery operated or crank style radio, get one. Don't count on using your cell phone to get emergency info.

Catherine M

Totally agree about going old school and getting a battery operated radio. I found one on Amazon for like 10 bucks and have used it a couple of times during power outages. Every home should have one! During Katrina, the cell phone towers were all down so you could NOT rely on your phone for weeks. Granted that was 12 years ago and cell phone technology has improved greatly but its not a given that they will work during a major disaster.

One thing we always do around here if not leaving for a storm, say a tropical storm or low cat hurricane, is fill both the washing machine and bathtub with water so you can have water to take sponge baths, flush the toilet, etc if your city water goes out.

skatesindreams

Be sure to have copies of your prescriptions and any medicines you need.
Keep these and any needed documents; including insurance paperwork, in waterproof containers.

In FL, we are told to have 3 days of emergency supplies; including food, available.

Last edited:

once_upon

Better off than 2020
Water is essential for anyone, but people with infants may want to set aside enough to make formula. Have plenty of formula powder
Determine the best escape route from each level of your house or living arrangements.
Put your medications, essential ones, in plastic and a water proof case (such as a hard cooler container). Keep a list of your medications, perhaps laminate it.

Aceon6

Be sure to have copies of your prescriptions and any medicines you need.
Keep these and any needed documents; including insurance paperwork, in waterproof containers.
Reminds me of another. If you don't have a current home inventory, take 360 degree photos of every room including storage/utility areas. Open closets, cabinets and drawers and take pictures of the contents. If you have to file an insurance claim, the pictures will come in handy.

once_upon

Better off than 2020
It's too late with a current impending event, but if you don't have scanned pictures, make sure the absolute want forever are collected and put in waterproof container and easy to grab. Often in fires or flooding people say it's things like photograph they wished they had been able to grab.

Be sure all kids know the escape plan or mutually agreed spot is to meet.

If in an area that flooding is the danger, life jackets or puddle jumpers for the kids (and adults) because swimming is very tiring after a few minutes.

Garden Kitty

Tranquillo
Get some flashlights or lanterns that take AA or AAA batteries. During an emergency the stores will run out of D and C batteries first, but even when my town lost power for a week, they still had some AAA and AA batteries.

floridaice

if you anticipate extended power outages -- wash clothes, clean your house and take a shower/wash hair etc, at the last moment that you can. Be sure your grill has gas or charcoal, so you can cook &/or boil water if needed. PAPER PLATES and disposable foil pans for cooking -- keep things clean to avoid any food born illness.

I've lived in hurricane country for over 25 years. If you are in an evacuation zone or flood zone, leave. If it's a major storm there is nothing you can do to "save" your house from wind or rising water. Possessions can be replaced, your life cannot.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information