Downton Abbey Season 6 - PBS broadcast

Coco

Rotating while Russian!
I love each episode but each episode brings us that much closer to the end.

Of course the Carsons had their moment upstaged by someone from the family but who cares, great to have the chauffeur back!

vesperholly

Again, why go through the hassle of giving the baby up for adoption TWICE and taking the baby back TWICE?
Fellowes can't help but run every storyline twice for good measure.

The 2010 reboot of Upstairs, Downstairs was really, really good. Poldark is another good watch if you haven't seen it yet. Mr Selfridge also just started season 4.

aftershocks

Banned Member
She was unable to accept any identity for herself except "mother".
There are still some women who feel this way, even today.

Yes, and I also think the reasoning behind Mrs. Drew's inability to just 'get over it' is similar to other instances we've heard about where someone adopts or cares for a baby that is not their own and then becomes so attached. It must be quite heart-wrenching to have to later give up a baby you love and think of/ and expected to raise, as your own child.

I did initially think it was rather strange and obsessive of the Mrs. Drew character to become that attached to Marigold, but that's partly because Mrs. Drew does not have many scenes and the SL seems to have been originally created as a plot device to make Edith's character miserable and not really as a way to flesh out Mrs. Drew's character. We don't even see much of Mrs. Drew's biological children who you would think supply her with enough work and opportunities to love and nurture. I don't recall whether she had all boys and that's why she became obsessed with Marigold?

Another thing is the emotional affect all of this could have on Marigold as she grows up. There's no way she didn't bond with Mrs. Drew, and thus she likely was confused by Edith's over-attention and then suddenly being whisked away to Europe, and then back to England and living in the big house. Since the series is ending, we won't be seeing how that might play out with Marigold's and Edith's relationship, unless a future (movie) sequel might revisit this story line.

berthesghost

The random group of extras that served as the Drew children were mixed boys and girls. This is typical of the often shallow writing: Mrs. Drew plays lip service to the idea that not everyone was anamored by the nobles, but in a very brief and unexamined way, while mr Drew is clearly a willing servant and gets more air time.

Artemis@BC

Another thing is the emotional affect all of this could have on Marigold as she grows up. There's no way she didn't bond with Mrs. Drew, and thus she likely was confused by Edith's over-attention and then suddenly being whisked away to Europe, and then back to England and living in the big house. Since the series is ending, we won't be seeing how that might play out with Marigold's and Edith's relationship, unless a future (movie) sequel might revisit this story line.

Well she was never "whisked away" to Europe -- she was born there, had one adoptive family there ... and then was whisked back to England when Edith cooked up the scheme with Mr Drewe. But I get your point.

However my understanding of attachment deficit disorder is that it happens when you don't receive any nurturing at all, and none of your parents bond with you (or vice versa). Marigold presumably had love from the Swiss parents, then the Drewes, and now Edith, so while there could be some emotional confusion there she's not exactly suffering from lack of affection or nurturing. (Well, other than the whole raised-by-nannies thing but that's a whole other issue.)

BTW, I clapped with joy when I saw Tom return, though I suspected it would happen -- only because Allen Leech had been on so many pre-season interviews that I just assumed he'd be back sooner or later. The reunion of Sybbie with her two cousins was adorable too.

I'm assuming Mary won't step aside in the agent job, nor will Tom want her to. So what's he going to do with his time now that he's home? I do hope it's politics, that could be very interesting indeed!

jlai

Question everything
Edith no doubt made her shares of mistakes regarding Marigold, but for someone who has been pushed around for a while, her decision on her daughter was the most independent and defiant decision she had made. It ended badly, but she couldn't have expected all the complications with Mrs. Drewe beforehand.

Artemis@BC

I enjoyed the storyline with Edith taking over editorship, and her love interest mucking in with them all was very sweet. I knew we'd see him again after the giant hints dropped when they met last season, but they seem to be a good match, both in terms of temperament and status. And I'll be happy if Edith has a new relationship before Mary does, for once -- though I'm surprised we haven't seen the Matthew Goode character yet, I just assumed that his relationship with Mary would be a major focus for the whole season. (since that was another giant hint dropped at the end of last season, and Fellowes is usually fairly predictable when it comes to these things)

Spun Silver

I'm assuming Mary won't step aside in the agent job, nor will Tom want her to. So what's he going to do with his time now that he's home? I do hope it's politics, that could be very interesting indeed!
They will get married and run the place together in the modern style, of course. They became extremely close. Tom would not have come back just because he missed Lord Grantham.

I just realized that DA is on at the same time as the Ladies Free Skate this Sunday. Yikes. I hope I can catch up with DA later during the week.

jlai

Question everything
They will get married and run the place together in the modern style, of course. They became extremely close. Tom would not have come back just because he missed Lord Grantham.

I just realized that DA is on at the same time as the Ladies Free Skate this Sunday. Yikes. I hope I can catch up with DA later during the week.
I thought the ladies free skate is on Saturday?

Artemis@BC

Again, no. Won't happen. Not ever. There is no spark there whatsoever -- if there had been, we would have seen it already. They are good friends but nothing more.

And Mary will hook up with Matthew Goode, I'm certain of that. Despite the fact that he loves fast cars and her first husband died in a car accident.

Spun Silver

I thought the ladies free skate is on Saturday?
Right you are. Thanks!

Again, no. Won't happen. Not ever. There is no spark there whatsoever -- if there had been, we would have seen it already. They are good friends but nothing more.

And Mary will hook up with Matthew Goode, I'm certain of that. Despite the fact that he loves fast cars and her first husband died in a car accident.
Oh, there is a spark, it is just the quiet fond kind that hasn't burst out in stars yet. Now that Lady Mary is a full-fledged pig farmer and DA is laying off staff, she needs someone who can help with the chores, not a fast car driver. The bet is on!

Tinami Amori

-----
Oh, there is a spark, it is just the quiet fond kind that hasn't burst out in stars yet. Now that Lady Mary is a full-fledged pig farmer and DA is laying off staff, she needs someone who can help with the chores, not a fast car driver. The bet is on!

Don't make that bet... :D... for a number of reasons. The one without a spoiler is this: the script writers probably knew of the UK law and social complications of such marriage.
Of course the script introduces many social controversies, but this is the last season and looks like it's trying to "wrap up" the old ones.... :D

A man marrying dead brother's wife (Levirate marriage) was an acceptable practice in many parts of the world throughout history including England/UK (to keep the Estate or Power Structure in family's control).

But a man marrying dead wife's sister was not accepted by UK law and society until 1907, and even after the law allowing it was passed, for several decades it was not socially acceptable (priests were allowed to refuse to perform such ceremonies and the inheritance issues remained subject to local legal entities' interpretation).

PROHIBITIVE: 1835 Marriage act - http://www.arts.mq.edu.au/documents/2_Charlotte_Frew.pdf

ALLOWING: The Deceased Wife's Sister's Marriage Act 1907 and subsequent legislation - http://mentalfloss.com/article/49722/65-year-battle-over-deceased-wifes-sisters-marriage-act

berthesghost

When I got married in MA the one exclusion that struck me as odd was that no man can marry his former MIL :lol:

my little pony

polishing Madison Hubbell's OGM
the mary tom vibe is very platonic to me. she would have married the titled guy from the trip to the hotel if she just wanted a good friend.

i hope the guy who likes edith takes her and emigrates. i hate when they waste time on her. she must be the world's greatest actress.

maatTheViking

Roxaaannnneeee!!!
I caught up on this weeks episode.

While I love that Tom is back, I wonder what was the (dramatic) point of making him leave for 2 episodes? We didn't get a big farewell scene in the end of last season. Was the point that Tom needed to realize he was part of the family? I am not sure that I buy this. How long time was he gone for?

I like Happy Anna. Please let her stay happy! If anyone deserves to be happy it is Anna!

I liked seeing Edith the editor. She should really just do the job, move her and Marigold to the city and date that guy.

Matryeshka

Euler? Euler? Anyone?
I'm not sure what I think of the new interest being a race car driver considering her husband died in a car crash. Does that strike anyone else as being odd?

danceronice

Corgi Wrangler
Despite all that education she doesn't seem to have matured one bit over the course of what 11 years?

Every time Mrs. Patmore smacks her down I'm just like GO MRS P! I'm enjoying her getting smacked down by karma more than Thomas (even though his stunt with Gwen was low) because he at least has nice moments and TRIES to behave like a decent human being. It's just everyone expects him to be Evil Thomas now and he eventually defaults back to it. But he gets some genuinely sweet moments (like telling Baxter she's stronger than she thinks she is.) Daisy OTOH everyone is always like 'Oh, that's okay!' And her poor father-in-law has no idea it's not really down to her, she's the one who almost screwed it up!

Anyone else also not entirely comfortable with her pulling the war-widow card now? "My husband?" Bitch, please, you didn't want to marry him, you carped about it the whole time, you were guilted into it...you don't get to go around using William now.

Artemis@BC

I'm not sure what I think of the new interest being a race car driver considering her husband died in a car crash. Does that strike anyone else as being odd?

I mentioned that earlier (since I was fairly certain he'd be showing up again -- I just didn't think it would take til episode 4!). I'm not sure if Fellowes is being deliberately ironic, or just tying into the race car phenomenon that was just getting going around that time. Plus it's another old / new counterpoint.

danceronice

Corgi Wrangler
I mentioned that earlier (since I was fairly certain he'd be showing up again -- I just didn't think it would take til episode 4!). I'm not sure if Fellowes is being deliberately ironic, or just tying into the race car phenomenon that was just getting going around that time. Plus it's another old / new counterpoint.

Possibly a way to create SOME conflict as Mary's likely to be a little uneasy about it on some level?

skatingfan5

Past Prancer's Corridor
I'm sure there will be angst scripted for Mary about that (already she has stated her disinterest and view that automobiles are just for getting from one place to another). I'm OK with it -- just as long as the final scene of the series isn't a replay of the final camera shot of season 3. :scream: :lynch:

Artemis@BC

If there was to be angst I would have expected it from the get-go, instead of her indifference to the whole subject. And she's not entirely indifferent, at the end of last season when she met him she called his car "yummy" or something like that.

But speaking of cars ... was anyone else surprised to see Robert driving in episode 2? They made such a big deal about Edith learning to drive (though, admittedly, that was 10 years ago), and they do still have at least 1 chauffer (un-named and unseen). Robert just doesn't strike me as the type to take the time to learn to drive.

berthesghost

I caught up on this weeks episode.

While I love that Tom is back, I wonder what was the (dramatic) point of making him leave for 2 episodes? We didn't get a big farewell scene in the end of last season. Was the point that Tom needed to realize he was part of the family? I am not sure that I buy this. How long time was he gone for?
the whole thing smacked of "oh no, the actor is unavailable for the start of filming! Quick, someone come up with a reason why he arrives late, I don't care how flimsy it is."

It reminded me of soap operas where departed characters fail to show for life events like a paren'ts funeral and someone mentions in passing "oh no, Brenda's stuck in traffic! Says to start without her" lol

Jenny

From the Bloc
Julian Fellowes has been know to write elaborate backstories for the characters. Perhaps Mrs. Drewe never had a daughter of her own or was left with fertility issues after a difficult birth?

My take is this: in a farming community, children grow up fast as they take on duties in the home and around the farm from a very young age. For a mother who once had a whole house full of young children depending on her, the moment when they've all gone off to school and/or start contributing can be very hard, and thus the special focus on a new baby who she can care for and who will love her in an uncomplicated way. Marigold might have been a miracle during a very difficult time for her, so losing her slams back the reality of all the kids who no longer need her in the same way, and having to redefine her value from mother to farmwife. I think there's a reason that it's not uncommon for families with a bunch of kids to have "one more" who is significantly younger than their siblings - I know several myself.

I also found it interesting that she didn't even comment when Robert was discussing where Mr Carson and Mrs Hughes marriage was to be held. Mary had a strong opinion, and stated it. I wondered why Edith just sat there.

Yesterday I was in a meeting with 4 other people and one of them sat there without saying a word the entire time. Everyone else outranked her, so I guess she figured she wasn't entitled to an opinion.

Or maybe Edith didn't want to get involved when her own life is already complicated. Sparring with Mary and her parents is something she's likely learned to avoid unless it really matters - pick your battles after all.

This is my impression of the 3 sisters during first few episodes in Season 1. Sybil is romantic and gentle. Mary is feisty and adventurous. Edith is a sulky mouse.
Of course, all 3 in the beginning of the series, are clearly products of the current society, and their social position, but they become very different from one another as they grow older, regardless of the fact that they live in IDENTICAL conditions and have IDENTICAL means at their disposal.

In theory, yes, but in practice, I'm not so sure. Even in season 1, Edith was portrayed as the less pretty less eligible sister, and I don't remember the exact quote, but I remember a conversation very early on with either Robert or Cora commenting that poor Edith doesn't have nearly the opportunities that Mary has.

Agree. They may have grown up in the same house, but the conditions would be very different for the eldest child vs the others, and very different for the "less pretty" as their prospects for a grand marriage would be seen as less likely - especially when the eldest child is a daughter and therefore any good marriage opportunities would go to her first.

However my understanding of attachment deficit disorder is that it happens when you don't receive any nurturing at all, and none of your parents bond with you (or vice versa). Marigold presumably had love from the Swiss parents, then the Drewes, and now Edith, so while there could be some emotional confusion there she's not exactly suffering from lack of affection or nurturing. (Well, other than the whole raised-by-nannies thing but that's a whole other issue.)

And yet if anyone suffers from lack of attention or nurturing, it would likely be George, who is receiving the most traditional upbringing of the time. As I understand it, children in those times were regularly given to the care of others - nannies, governesses, boarding schools - as much as possible. It was also common for children to go live with relations or others for extended periods at all class levels - my MIL had a helluva time sorting out her Scottish family tree based on censuses alone because so many children of big families went off to live with relations, and so many "boarders" turned out to be cousins, etc.

I'm sure there will be angst scripted for Mary about that (already she has stated her disinterest and view that automobiles are just for getting from one place to another).

I thought her statement about cars being about getting from point A to B said it all. In a world where one is not supposed to show emotions, slotting things into boxes that you can deal with - or not - would be as common as it is for many people today. By reducing cars to nothing more than getting from point A to B, she doesn't have to think about the horrible circumstances of Matthew's death or live through guilt and regret scenarios for the rest of her life. He died, it happened, it's done.

And then if anything, being confronted with fast cars and someone who loves to drive might be a kind of personal therapy. "I will not let this get the better of me - I will maintain my poise, and I will triumph." I know a woman whose mother died of lung cancer when she was a teen, and while she is a non-smoker, she has also worked at a tobacco company for the past 25 years. Go figure.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information