Dancing with the Stars, Season 29

screech

Why has no one skated to the music that Cheryl and AJ are dancing to? It is great!
It really is a fantastic piece. Bernard Herrmann did some amazing work setting the scene for Hitchcock movies.

On a different note, I didn't quite get Nurse Ratched from Monica's 'Fever'...

screech

Nelly is weird to me. He actually doesn't do all that much dancing compared to others, and doesn't move around the floor much, yet somehow I agree with the judges that he's good? It doesn't make sense.

I love Justina. She is an amazing dancer, and I'm glad that Sasha got paired with someone really good.

taf2002

Fluff up your tutu & dance away.....
I absolutely loved Johnny's red cape/duster/whatever. I would love to have it. Also liked his dance, Lev's, & Justina's. I like AJ too. I want these 4 to be last standing. There is some level of good dancing but I don't find interesting Skai, Chrisshel, Jeannie, or Katelyn. Not sorry to see Monica go. I agree with @screech in his assessment of Nelly - not much dancing there.

Desperado

I thought the judges were particularly hard on Monica, so I'm not surprised they left. I enjoyed last night's program, but they didn't seem to "gel" well all season.

So much rides on who gets which music, what the costumes are, the lighting, how the contestants are portrayed... Yet I keep coming back for more. :biggrinbo

I know my TV is quite old, but I missed most of Johnny's performance because everything looked whited out by the lighting. Was there smoke too? Loved the duster and really liked when he moved it around his partner. They could both have easily hidden under that much fabric. :lol:

Too bad Tyra's question about what a person can do if they feel they're an outcast, but don't benefit from having a mom as an ally like he did, was made funny by the fact he had vampire teeth and could hardly talk. He did give a great answer though.

Susan1

I know my TV is quite old, but I missed most of Johnny's performance because everything looked whited out by the lighting. Was there smoke too? Loved the duster and really liked when he moved it around his partner. They could both have easily hidden under that much fabric. :lol:
It wasn't just you. And my t.v. is not old. I guess the judges could see through the smoke because they were closer? I liked what I could see of his routine this week more than I have any other week.

vgerdes

Too bad Tyra's question about what a person can do if they feel they're an outcast, but don't benefit from having a mom as an ally like he did, was made funny by the fact he had vampire teeth and could hardly talk. He did give a great answer though.
It was a great answer. While the impact may have been lessened a bit by the fact that he was wearing fake vampire teeth and talked with a lisp, Tyra and the judges didn't make a joke of it.

skylark

I finally got a chance to watch last night's dances tonight, and I'm pleased to see Johnny and Brit bounced back. Well done!

For me, the performance of the night was Justina and Sasha. Especially Justina. She actually portrayed the nuances of the character of Carrie. And she identified with her.

I got supremely tired of the villainous way some of the stars were portraying the villains. It was very boring to me and, many times, disturbing. But Justina, showing that "villains" are often human beings who have been hurt themselves, really killed it and made the theme of the night much more complex and interesting.

Confession: I didn't watch all of the dances, because I got overwhelmed. So I'm commenting on those I did see. Nev and Jenna are one of my favorite couples this season, for instance, but I didn't like their dance this week at all. So I'm biased ... but I do love the way Justina showed empathy and passion for Carrie while also, through her dancing, showing conviction and purpose. Her screams were great!

Justina's costume was beautiful and worked well with her figure. Maybe the designers were making up for last week. But the dress, headdress, the colors, everything was perfect for her.:encore:I always think of Tarah and Danny when I hear "Take Me to Church."

Cupid

I thought the judges were particularly hard on Monica, so I'm not surprised they left. I enjoyed last night's program, but they didn't seem to "gel" well all season.

So much rides on who gets which music, what the costumes are, the lighting, how the contestants are portrayed... Yet I keep coming back for more. :biggrinbo

Tyra's that person who asks you a question when you just put some food into your mouth lol

Cupid

Nelly is weird to me. He actually doesn't do all that much dancing compared to others, and doesn't move around the floor much, yet somehow I agree with the judges that he's good? It doesn't make sense.

I love Justina. She is an amazing dancer, and I'm glad that Sasha got paired with someone really good.
His partner makes him look good. Now, if he had Johnny's pro, Brit, he would be gone (her choreography).

meggonzo

Banned Member
Jeannie Mai has a health problem and had to drop out of the competition.
There will still be an elimination tonight. I read this on DWTS Facebook, and the way it was worded implied there was supposed to be a double elimination.

taf2002

There will still be an elimination tonight. I read this on DWTS Facebook, and the way it was worded implied there was supposed to be a double elimination.
They announced the double elimination last week. It's a miracle I know this because I rarely listen to anything that Tyra says.

screech

I'm sorry to hear that! Aside from wishing her well, I'm disappointed, because even though she wasn't the best dancer, I find her enjoyable and love her enthusiasm. It seems her health problem is very serious, requiring surgery. She was diagnosed with epiglottitis, an inflammatory condition that can cause swelling and block airflow to the lungs.

I'm ready for Skai to go next. She has made too many mistakes in multiple weeks, and doesn't seem to connect with her partner or with the dances.

Also, anyone else finding this season that the song styles don't always match really well with the dance styles? I mean, they're often bad, but this year seems especially egregious. For example, apparently tonight Chrishell is doing a viennese waltz to Hound Dog.
Tonight they're also doing "Relay Dances". The couples split into groups, dancing either a Cha Cha, Samba or Viennese Waltz, with each couple taking turns, and one judge ranking each group. Sounds slightly complicated but could be interesting.

quartz

scratching at the light
The last time I watched was Oct 12, and shortly after Justina danced, I got the phone call to come to my mom’s LTC home as she was in her final hours. Which, as some of you know, turned into a 51 hour bedside vigil. I have not had the heart to watch since, but decided to tune in tonight, just in time to see Justina. I’m thinking that if my mom were able to see this show, she would enjoy Justina as much as I do. She’s the little bit of joyous light I need right now.

Karen-W

How long do we have to wait for GP assignments?
Chrishell and Skai bottom two. Judges saved Skai.
Well, I am fine with either of them going though I would have preferred Skai since she is so stiff-legged and hasn't really improved since Week 1. But, her time will come soon enough. She is right there in the bottom with Nelly and Kaitlyn for me as the next 3 to go, I hope. AJ, Nev, Justina and Johnny are a cut above the others.

BaileyCatts

#BringBackTomBergeron. :mitchell:

Highwater pants don't never look good on nobody. And he did it twice. It wasn't a good look, Johnny. :p

So guesses on who Johnny's 'icon' will be next week since it sounds like its supposed to be from music? Hmmmm ....... :lol:

I probably woulda picked Skye to stay too moreso cause I like Alan. Katelyn, Nelly, Skye could go in any order next for me.

screech

Well, I am fine with either of them going though I would have preferred Skai since she is so stiff-legged and hasn't really improved since Week 1. But, her time will come soon enough. She is right there in the bottom with Nelly and Kaitlyn for me as the next 3 to go, I hope. AJ, Nev, Justina and Johnny are a cut above the others.
Apparently a lot of people are voting for Skai. If you look at the DWTS tag on Twitter during or shortly after the show, most of the top tweets are people talking about voting for Skai.

Tonight was better for her, though If ind she almost dances like she's a newborn giraffe or something, like she's still getting used to her limbs.
IMO the best dance of the whole night was Johnny's relay dance. If that was a regular dance, I'd have given that all 10s.

I normally like Nev a lot, but I found this week something just seemed 'off' about his dance. He was almost a bit clunky and seemed like he was racing with the timing.

I really liked Kaitlyn's jive, though wearing running shoees for it wasn't the best decision IMO, and seemed to make her seem a bit clunky too. The judges are unnecessarily harsh on her though. If Monica had done that dance, she wouldn't have been anywhere near Kaitlyn's skills, but she would have gotten 9s or even 10s. Not that anyone else would have been able to handle that choreography...

It amused me that this week Johnny wore his most tame costume of the entire season, yet this is the week they critique his fashion?

taf2002

I would have sent Skai home but I've felt like that from the 1st. I don't know why they couldn't wait for a few years to bring her on the show. She's still a little girl & looks it & dances like it.

I didn't like Johnny's pant length in the 1st dance but I did like the 2nd one. But I thought that was a ridiculous critique from a judge when they're supposed to be judging the dance. I really doubt the contestants have much input into the costumes although Johnny may have asked for the high-water. Who knows? I liked that he didn't defend himself. Actually I hope the contestants don't have input because I would be more judgey if that were so. For example I don't think Justina's outfits flatter her much & feel like they could do better for her.

I agree with @screech that Johnny's 2nd dance was the best of the night.

BTW there was a feature on Brittany (Johnny's partner) on today's Yahoo news.

Last edited:

MacMadame

Doing all the things
Apparently a lot of people are voting for Skai. If you look at the DWTS tag on Twitter during or shortly after the show, most of the top tweets are people talking about voting for Skai.
Then how'd she end up in the bottom two?

I would guess that the Twitterverse isn't reflective of all the voting. For one thing, we know the Bachelor Nation is strong so Kaitly will probably end up in the final no matter how she dances.

screech

Lindsey had her baby a few days ago - a little girl named Sage.
Also, not sure if it's pregnancy related or not, but her face is definitely looking different in her pictures over the last few months, compared to when she was last on DWTS...

In any case, congratulations to Lindsey and her husband! Whitney is next, due in January...

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information