Dancing with the Stars, Season 29

quartz

scratching at the light
Managed to see Nev, Justina, and Johnny and thought all did very nicely. Caught a glimpse of Tyra’s dress, hair, and makeup, and found it all to be quite unflattering. But I find her unwatchable/unlistenable anyways. Even with her outlandish costumes, she’s still as dull as dishwater.

BaileyCatts

Watching the end back, why do they push it so close to the precise exact second of the ending of a Live show to begin with. They pull the bottom 2, tell the Judges 'pick one' and don't even give them a chance to say something nice to the ones getting booted. I don't like the 'hurry up we need an answer!' rudeness that's happened every week now and then the couple doesn't even get to say anything at the end like they used too. :blah:

taf2002

Fluff up your tutu & dance away.....
I thought Tyra handled it horribly plus it never should have happened. I realized there were 2 too many couples on the floor before she did & then she kept blaming the snafu on everything but herself. It wasn't very professional. And is she fat or was that the result of that horrible dress?

I have a problem with Skai. She looks like a pre-teen with an adult man - very off-putting. I think she got those points because of her backstory, not particularly her dance (although I love Alan). And any time Carrie Ann cries (or pretends to) she goes overboard on the points. If anyone's backstory deserves inflated points it was Anne's. I never knew she was blackballed.

I think Monica is stiffer & more wooden than Anne & I didn't like her complaining on camera. That doesn't usually serve a contestant well.

Peta looked gorgeous last night & her rhumba with Vernon was much better than the one before them. I can't remember who that was.

Desperado

I think what did Anne in were last week’s very low score. Disney week is never my thing so I didn’t pay a lot of attention to their routine, but the comments and scores seemed pretty harsh.

Anne was often too stiff, but I really appreciated how she partnered well with Keo and made him look more relaxed, which is not something I saw with any of his other partners.

Susan1

Watching the end back, why do they push it so close to the precise exact second of the ending of a Live show to begin with. They pull the bottom 2, tell the Judges 'pick one' and don't even give them a chance to say something nice to the ones getting booted. I don't like the 'hurry up we need an answer!' rudeness that's happened every week now and then the couple doesn't even get to say anything at the end like they used too. :blah:
They need less fluff! I didn't even watch the beginning thing about dancers being misunderstood or something. I was flipping back and forth with Biden's town hall. You'd think that without the opening number and showing the troupe in between, they wouldn't have to drag it out till after 10 p.m.

BaileyCatts

#BringBackTomBergeron. :mitchell:

.Wow. Johnny really has improved the last 3 weeks. I was a little worried after the first 2 rounds that he might not last the early rounds but he is really performing so much better now. I woulda given that a 10 too.

What a good sport Justina is for getting that water dumped on her because boy, did they rreeallyy dump a lotta water on her! :eek:

I was kinda surprised all 3 judges voted for Vernon. Maybe I'm not remembering past performances of Jesse at the moment, but I thought over the course of the show, Jesse was better.

And a silly comment ... I don't know Alan in real life or as a person other than what I see on DWTS, but he just seems like such nice boy. :rofl: ;)

And okay, Johnny definitely won the night. But really ..... Sasha WON the night, ya know? I had to watch Justina's dance back twice to focus on her because I kept focusing on Sasha! He owns 80s night!! :rofl:

Susan1

Again not going to jinx anybody. So how could you see what Johnny was doing? With the glare of the yellow lights and the ceiling shots (of everybody), I missed a lot (and footwork of everybody). And I have a 40" t.v., and I watch DWTS in HD. Again, what was with the booing audience when there was no audience?

I forget who I said was flat footed (when they were shown full screen) and then one of the judges said the same thing. Jesse? That was the right bottom two and the right person went home.

taf2002

Johnny and Britt were fabulous doing Contemporary, she took him to an ice rink to get him to loosen up, and it worked!

I usually tune out Carrie Ann but she was spot on. Britt's choreography is fabulous & they both danced it flawlessly. Boo on Bruno for that 9.

I find some of the inflated scores head-scratching. I think the judges are trying to make up for last week's glitch in scoring Monica (cheer coach). Her score was 2 pts better than Justina's & AJ's & the same as Nev's - I prefer all three's dancing to hers. I still find her too stiff. The 24's were odd as well IMO - for example Skai with an obvious misstep had the same as AJ, Justina, & Nelly. I didn't think those 4 were that close in their dancing.

screech

I honestly don't understand Monica's scores, but Johnny and Britt were amazing.
Does anyone else notice how much the judges nitpick AJ? Like dude isn't brilliant, but they mark him down for the tiniest thing, but someone who gets a lot of (deserved) criticism gets the same or better scores?

Johnny and Britt were fabulous doing Contemporary, she took him to an ice rink to get him to loosen up, and it worked!
Anyone else remember back in earlier seasons when they used to do things like this a lot - the pros take their stars somewhere to help them get into the mood for, or improve their dance? I remember one (I forget who) taking their star to a salsa club because they were struggling in practice.

MacMadame

Doing all the things
Justina! Haha! That was fab!
She is an amazing dancer.

Does anyone else notice how much the judges nitpick AJ? Like dude isn't brilliant, but they mark him down for the tiniest thing, but someone who gets a lot of (deserved) criticism gets the same or better scores?
They do that every season. It's like they are grading on a curve based on what talent they think you have and not some objective standard.

Btw, I still haven't figured out who half these people are.

And speaking of grading on a curve, Skai is a Disney Kid and Disney kids are normally triple threats. Which means they have dance training. So I always expect her to be better.

taf2002

She is an amazing dancer.

My sister called me to discuss the night & the 1st thing she said was Justina has lost weight. The fat-shaming goes on....

And speaking of grading on a curve, Skai is a Disney Kid and Disney kids are normally triple threats. Which means they have dance training. So I always expect her to be better.

But she's not. She looks like she's in middle school (not her fault) & there's an awkwardness in her dancing. She's a cute kid but I wouldn't mind if she goes next. I find her scores inflated every week so far.

vgerdes

My sister called me to discuss the night & the 1st thing she said was Justina has lost weight. The fat-shaming goes on....

Well... yes and no. It's kind of a given that those who are "fluffier" when they start on this show will lose a bit (or a lot) of weight as the season goes on. I've heard of some contestants who have lost 20-30 pounds or more. It can be very noticeable, though tbh, I haven't really been paying attention to Justina's weight. I'm just in awe of how good she is -- and I love how much fun she has with it. Next to Johnny, she's probably my favorite.

As for the bucket of water thing ... she didn't look too happy afterwards. I think they may have overdone it with the amount of water they put in there.

taf2002

Well... yes and no. It's kind of a given that those who are "fluffier" when they start on this show will lose a bit (or a lot) of weight as the season goes on. I've heard of some contestants who have lost 20-30 pounds or more. It can be very noticeable, though tbh, I haven't really been paying attention to Justina's weight. I'm just in awe of how good she is -- and I love how much fun she has with it. Next to Johnny, she's probably my favorite.

As for the bucket of water thing ... she didn't look too happy afterwards. I think they may have overdone it with the amount of water they put in there.
The reason I even mentioned it was that after the 1st show she told me that Justina would have been one of her favorites except for the fact that "she's fat".

Desperado

Enjoyed Val and the cheer lady.

What was Alan wearing? The split beginning pose was fantastic though.

Debbie S

I guess the producers decided we were due for drama. ;) Maybe they wanted to encourage more votes for Johnny.

Is the bottom 2 determined by fan voting that same night or the previous week?

Lilia A

If by drama you mean the scores, maybe. But the bottom 2 is supposedly the "Real" bottom 2. Not the "you're in jeopardy" bs they used for so many seasons. Often times they'd place a strong couple in the "in jeopardy" zone for drama.
I think voting is live? I don't even know anymore. I stopped watching many seasons ago. I only watch the people I care about.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information